Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone going to Elphin on the 14th Nov for the Mc Gee Reduction sale.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2672439

Serious looking stock in the pics!

These are the guys that had the Beef open days? They produce the BB weanlings.
    Serious looking cattle. Maybe Legs will go !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    These are the guys that had the Beef open days? They produce the BB weanlings.
    Serious looking cattle. Maybe Legs will go !!:D
    no wont be going :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

we have used him hoping for heifers. have got either 4 or 5 bulls so far no heifers but have to say he puts serious cattle. they get great weights at d weanling stage give the calf time he could surprise u
    bad luck a well u'll get heifers this year. were they born small last year for ya??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Karen112 wrote: »
    I may be.
    This animal made me laugh! http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=8532008&ad=2672439

A free, teeny weeny cow!
    :Dlol. Took me a minute to cop it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Had a long walk about the hill this morning. Made some rain last night, stream where the wool was, was at least 1 foot higher today. Checked the marsh and all the streams, some lakes and cut away bog holes, saw no sign of anything.

Local Garda was about so dropped into him for a long chat about that and certain people not locking up their dogs.

Waste of a feckin day all in all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

serious looking cattle indeed, cows seems to have serious muscle, would you be worried about calving some of those cows?

Certainly the heifers anyway!
    Anyone on here calving that type of heifer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They are serious animals alright. But to me i don't think they are suitable for breeding as they have too much muscle. Perhaps I'm wrong. The best looking cows and heifers don't always male the best cows overall. Jusat ask yourself, if they were that good, why would he be selling them? Wouldn't you sell your cull cows and keep these on, or am I missing something?

What are they worth? €2000? They'I go more though if lads go cracked and fall in love with them. Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    They are serious animals alright. But to me i don't think they are suitable for breeding as they have too much muscle. Perhaps I'm wrong. The best looking cows and heifers don't always male the best cows overall.

What are they worth? €2000?

they may be worth a bit more id say, 900kg culls making 1800 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

limo_100 wrote: »
    bad luck a well u'll get heifers this year. were they born small last year for ya??
    as far as i can remember they were all handy calves not too big or too small and just looked back on records all unassisted calvings. when u say small how small do u mean??

Muckit wrote: »
    They are serious animals alright. But to me i don't think they are suitable for breeding as they have too much muscle. Perhaps I'm wrong. The best looking cows and heifers don't always male the best cows overall. Jusat ask yourself, if they were that good, why would he be selling them? Wouldn't you sell your cull cows and keep these on, or am I missing something?

What are they worth? €2000? They'I go more though if lads go cracked and fall in love with them. Madness

The amount of milk they'd produce would be a concern to me aswell!

• Advertisement

they may be worth a bit more id say, 900kg culls making 1800 :eek:

Sold good culls there myself last Wed in bsloe. 836kg limo made €1550. 1800 is mad money!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone going to Elphin on the 14th Nov for the Mc Gee Reduction sale.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2672439

Serious looking stock in the pics!

Anyone else think they have bullish looking heads on them? I never like to see that in heifers. Too much condition too for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went to mart with 2 br/fr bull calves today got €200 each, price back a bit, nearly all frbull calves there today, not near as many buyers... still happy enough, they where 2 weeks old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I never like to see that in heifers. Too much condition too for my liking.

+1

got a big surprise today, was callibrating feeders in parlour... they are supposed to give out 1kg per pull... some where giving out 2.2kg:eek: while one was giving out .5kg.... also got my goal tonight have lost 3 stone !

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Well done

Good Stuff Whelan. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »
    got a big surprise today, was callibrating feeders in parlour... they are supposed to give out 1kg per pull... some where giving out 2.2kg:eek: while one was giving out .5kg.... also got my goal tonight have lost 3 stone !

Congrats!! :D Tell me your secret, All the walking I do at work and still no change in me!

• Advertisement

Congrats!! :D Tell me your secret, All the walking I do at work and still no change in me!
    joined slimming world, theres a lad in our group has lost nearly 12 stone in the last year:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

You must have been feeding out of the feeder dishing out 2.2kgs.:D

joined slimming world, theres a lad in our group has lost nearly 12 stone in the last year:eek:

Jaysus:eek: Fair play to him. He's lost over a Karen!

also got my goal tonight have lost 3 stone !

Well done. That sort of weight loss can be completly life changing.

Yes, fair play Whelan1. That's an excellent result. Keep it up. Do you mind me asking how you managed it, eating right or more exercise, or a combination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yikes!! - a whole new wardrobe for that lad:eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yikes!! - a whole new wardrobe for that lad:eek:;)

Wouldn't throw the old ones out yet, most rebound after such rapid weigh loss, unfortunately.

Well done Whelan, a great achievement, keep it up now.

Wouldn't throw the old ones out yet, most rebound after such rapid weigh loss, unfortunately.

Well done Whelan, a great achievement, keep it up now.
    apparently men are more motivated than women and the weight comes off quicker, theres another lad has 7 stone gone since february, its a total change of what you eat, i am never hungry, yet can have my few glasses of wine etc and still loose weight, feel like a new person,

Men are just more competitive too. I work with a few lads who are continously competing with each other to loose weight. They have bets to see who can loose the most before Christmas etc. Their delight is not in loosing weight, but beating the other guy.

was talking to a lad this morning who said there was a red/blue heifer at the mart the other day, sounded a bit like karens one, it was 330kg and made €990

Men are just more competitive too. I work with a few lads who are continously competing with each other to loose weight. They have bets to see who can loose the most before Christmas etc. Their delight is not in loosing weight, but beating the other guy.
    thats true, the guys are our group are far worse than the women , they get in a mood if they are not down in weight

• Advertisement

was talking to a lad this morning who said there was a red/blue heifer at the mart the other day, sounded a bit like karens one, it was 330kg and made €990

She's in Mohill Wed, was offered 1000 in the field the other day so she's coming home if she doesn't make more!

She's in Mohill Wed, was offered 1000 in the field the other day so she's coming home if she doesn't make more!
    what weight is she?

Oh, did anyone see the heifer that was 400kg and made €1560 in Ballina?? I missed her down the yard as I was over the bull side. Think she's gone for showing as I know the guy who bought her.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

That is fantastic, congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Dairygold have a clearance sale this weekend, all sorts of stuff in from the branches, transport boxes, gates, tanks, spreaders, fencing wire, all sorts of stuff.

They had some good cement mixers down from €800 to €400 but I was too late, they'd sold out at five past eight.

Mental in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Fair play whelan1. Its not easy. And the cows will be joining you on the weight loss programme now they are back by half in the trough

wil be interesting to see the milk production when they are getting less meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Went to gort lastnight with the intention of buying a few heifers. Prices were pure mad. As dear as I have ever seen. Went after 2 heifers. A blonde out of a sim 340kg and I went to 905 on her and didnt get her and a pb charolais 340kg went to 970 on her and she made 1000 and to be honest she was nothing special. The simmentals were completly out of reach and I wasnt one bit impressed with the quality of them. Most of them were way over done with meal with big lumps of fat around their pin bones. Seen a few of them around the 400kg mark making 1300 and year and a halfs making 1500+. There was no recession there last night anyway!!!

Redz,
    Was that an ordinary evening sale or a special breeding heifer sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Redz,
    Was that an ordinary evening sale or a special breeding heifer sale?

The annual simmental sale. The prices would frighten you!!

• Advertisement

what weight is she?

320ish kg or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Mart prices seem to have gone crazy in the last week or so.
    Sold a few bullocks myself yesterday and was in a state of shock in the box.
    Eg..A couple of reasonable CHX bullocks 417kgs made 1035 one of them not even a year old, another 525kgs 1200 euro.
    I saw pure holstein bullocks around 500kgs were easily making 400+ euro along with the weight.
    Cattle were up at least 100 euro a head in the last fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    Mart prices seem to have gone crazy in the last week or so.
    Sold a few bullocks myself yesterday and was in a state of shock in the box.
    Eg..A couple of reasonable CHX bullocks 417kgs made 1035 one of them not even a year old, another 525kgs 1200 euro.
    I saw pure holstein bullocks around 500kgs were easily making 400+ euro along with the weight.
    Cattle were up at least 100 euro a head in the last fortnight.

Every thing we hear and read says cattle prices rising by the day all this year. I dont really think they are up anything much since last February.
    Looking at a docket I have for stock sold mid Feb, all charolais and all from stock bull, so wouldnt be world beater by any stretch.

Bulls.
    400 kgs €1,025 (10 months, but capable of going into massive weight)
    2 at 315kgs €815
    2 at 330kgs €870
    2 at 335 kgs €855

Heifers

2 at 295kgs €770
    2 at 270kgs €715
    1 at 230kgs €675

All March / April 2010.

I dont expect to do any better with this years stock, based on what I see in mart, these days, but I have to wait and see.
    Yet, if I believed the IFJ, I should be getting another €250 a head???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

BeeDI wrote: »
    Every thing we hear and read says cattle prices rising by the day all this year. I dont really think they are up anything much since last February.
    Looking at a docket I have for stock sold mid Feb, all charolais and all from stock bull, so wouldnt be world beater by any stretch.

Bulls.
    400 kgs €1,025 (10 months, but capable of going into massive weight)
    2 at 315kgs €815
    2 at 330kgs €870
    2 at 335 kgs €855

Heifers

2 at 295kgs €770
    2 at 270kgs €715
    1 at 230kgs €675

All March / April 2010.

I dont expect to do any better with this years stock, based on what I see in mart, these days, but I have to wait and see.
    Yet, if I believed the IFJ, I should be getting another €250 a head???

Take your point and I saw a couple of nice Jan born Lim bull weanlings go yesterday for small enough money 420kgs 850 euro and 340kgs 720
    but by way of comparison I was looking at my own records and bought a 410kg CHX bullock in April for 740 compared to the similar I sold yesterday for over the thousand.
    I also sold that bullock a couple of weeks ago he gained 180kg which i was a bit disappointed with tbh but at 590kgs he made 1235 which was almost 500 euro "margin" for just summer grazing.
    He was a bit of an exception really but I have averaged a margin of more than 400 euro per head for my summer grazing hobby which is miles ahead of anything I did previously ( 286 euro was my best up to now) and while weight gain (approx 220kgs) was pretty good most of this is due to high sale price.

lepto'd all the cows this evening, wrecked now, having a nice glass of wine... cheers:)

Oh, did anyone see the heifer that was 400kg and made €1560 in Ballina?? I missed her down the yard as I was over the bull side. Think she's gone for showing as I know the guy who bought her.

I had a red BB heifer in Mohill on wednesday night. Born on June 5th. 215kg. Made Eur730 and a bb bull that was born on june 10th, 250kg and made Eur785. I was one of very few people in Mohill the other night that got over Eur 3 per kg for Blues. Had a couple of older BB heifers and Bulls that did not do as good. They still were better prices than last year, but not as good as the yellow charolais on wednesday night ;) Sure you can't win all the time, but you have to hedge your bets :D

reilig wrote: »
    I had a red BB heifer in Mohill on wednesday night. Born on June 5th. 215kg. Made Eur730 and a bb bull that was born on june 10th, 250kg and made Eur785. I was one of very few people in Mohill the other night that got over Eur 3 per kg for Blues. Had a couple of older BB heifers and Bulls that did not do as good. They still were better prices than last year, but not as good as the yellow charolais on wednesday night ;) Sure you can't win all the time, but you have to hedge your bets :D

It depends on who is buying tbh. Are you happy with the prices at least? The CH are a ferocious trade, all bull beef men want them.

It depends on who is buying tbh. Are you happy with the prices at least? The CH are a ferocious trade, all bull beef men want them.

I was happy with them. I got better prices than than the same calves off the same cows as last year. I fed 25% less meal this year too. Serious buying for the CH allright - especially the lighter ones. It was mad to see a big line of dealers along the chutes looking at cattle as they came in. Then, the whole lot of the space around the rail of the ring was taken up about 30 minutes before the auctioneer started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

mad prices at mo--for most type sof stock.. can it last????
    if not--some men will be stung big time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Charolais are flying alright, sold a few stores today, best was a yellow 500kg E1150. Happy enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement