Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I wasn't in a sales this months, glad of these mart reports ye lads are posting.
    Time to move a few CH weanlings!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

sold aax heifers during d week feb calfs bucket fed made 310 yoyo wit weight :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just look at that :D:D:D

nat00_weather.pngnat01_weather.pngnat02_weather.png

Not a drop of fupping rain in sight :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Rang around a few places pricing dairy coarse ration yesterday,21% ranged from 245- 290 per tonne, thats some difference, going with the 245 as its the place i used last year and the same ration and it worked well, pays to shop around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

johngalway wrote: »

nat00_weather.pngnat01_weather.pngnat02_weather.png

Could nearly chance cutting a sap of hay!! Its to hold good till thursday, the long range forecast had it penciled for being a good week from a good bit back, maize and beet harvest contractors booked so it better hold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

was a lovely morning here then out of no where its after making a downpour :rolleyes:
    id say it must be up on 60 days or more since we have had a full 24 hrs dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have a heavy fog. It's usually a good sign of a day.hopefully it'll get warm. I have a digger in and 300 posts to drive.
    was a lovely morning here then out of no where its after making a downpour :rolleyes:
    id say it must be up on 60 days or more since we have had a full 24 hrs dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

dsc1897r.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was the view outside my house after 8am. I thought it was a feckin fire at first (then I woke up:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

scroll to page NG8 in the link above ,

the second digger mentioned in the article has since been "rescued" with a substantial contribution from the owner ,

The final total collected for charity is hoped to be €16K- €17k

well done to all involved

Karen112 wrote: »
    dsc1897r.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was the view outside my house after 8am. I thought it was a feckin fire at first (then I woke up:o)
    red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning:)

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning:)

Ahem. *clears throat* CR************AP.
    On the plus side, just locked myself out of my house and now employed as a physio for greyhounds........as well as normal work.:o

Ahem. *clears throat* CR************AP.
    On the plus side, just locked myself out of my house and now employed as a physio for greyhounds........as well as normal work.:o
    see the shepherds where warning you! should have brought your keys with ya:D

see the shepherds where warning you! should have brought your keys with ya:D

And the day after I get a spare to leave in the handbag, ran out to see who was filling potholes on the lane and shut the door after me:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

And the day after I get a spare to leave in the handbag, ran out to see who was filling potholes on the lane and shut the door after me:o

Curiosity killed the cat:-)

moy83 wrote: »
    Curiosity killed the cat:-)

If you seen where I lived, you'd wonder why they were filling the potholes too!:p:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think the councils are busy using up this years allocated funds so that next years budget won't be cut;) Even working today, time and a half for somebody

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

If you seen where I lived, you'd wonder why they were filling the potholes too!:p:p

Especially when it's not raining, they usually only fill them here when they're full of water :rolleyes:

Especially when it's not raining, they usually only fill them here when they're full of water :rolleyes:

Hahaha, wonder why?
    Just burnt my dinner by looking through past posts:mad:, and I don't know if I'll make it to Mohill next week. Grrr Grrr Grr *rant*

opw are currently cleaning our river , my dad was telling me that years ago they where cleaning it coming up to christmas , anyways a mechanic had to come out to disconnect the battery on the tracks machine for over the holidays:) he came few days before the holidays and driver and his co worker sat in tracks machine each day even though it couldnt work, then after christmas it was a week before the "mechanic" got back to reconnect the battery, pure madness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I captured the add before it's taken down.
    There's someone that should get into marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Maybe Trying to find a puncture or four:rolleyes:

just had another surprise, went to check dry cows , have 12 due around christmas , there was a calf there, a red and white friesian bull, its years and years since there was a red and white calf born here, cant wait for kids to get home to see it .Pity it isnt a heifer but its alive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

just had another surprise, went to check dry cows , have 12 due around christmas , there was a calf there, a red and white friesian bull, its years and years since there was a red and white calf born here, cant wait for kids to get home to see it .Pity it isnt a heifer but its alive ;)
    Lemon Friesians - that's what we called them in the old days. I remember when I was very young we had one at home. Best cow we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lemon Friesians - that's what we called them in the old days. I remember when I was very young we had one at home. Best cow we had.

We had a few of them. The AI bulls name was TTS. Remember him well:cool:

thic calf is outof the ai bull gvv

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

We had a few of them. The AI bulls name was TTS. Remember him well:cool:
    TTS: toftlodge theo supreme great bull, I remember him well

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

" no critics....."

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

I see on the front of the comic we're exporting heifers to Uganda for Bóthar;
    I can foresee a shortage of good breeding stock next spring :D:D:D

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//get_image.aspx?w=190&eid=2619a3a1-b69f-4459-ac39-fc6517d3f020&lm=201111031035

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Some of you might have seen my pictures from Farmfair in the Pictures thread.

One interesting thing that was there was the live online auction demo from this crowd

http://www.dlms.ca/

You can register for free and watch the auctions live. I haven't tried it yet but might sign up at the weekend

I watched an auction for a bit and saw some heifers being sold

Animals are sold by the pound:

I saw a batch of heifers being sold (35 in a group) they averaged 500 pound weight and were knocked down for $1.30/lb

$1.30/lb is $2.87/kg

500 Pounds = 226.79 Kgs

226.79 * 2.87 = $650.88

Convert to Euro: 465.98

This is apparently considered decent money for them

Didnt see any steers being sold but apparently they are making in the region of $1.50/lb

Bought a quad trailer today. Neighbour has one of these for the last 12 months and its a well made trailer. Multi-purpose - I can put a calf or a ewe into it, but it will also be useful for bringing in firewood off the land or turf off the bog. Considering that the wheels, stubs and hitch cost £160. I don't think that £399 is a bad price for a galvanised 5 x 4 trailer. Have a mate who is collecting it for me today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanized-Quad-Tipping-Trailer-/170724118407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bff34f87

reilig wrote: »
    Bought a quad trailer today. Neighbour has one of these for the last 12 months and its a well made trailer. Multi-purpose - I can put a calf or a ewe into it, but it will also be useful for bringing in firewood off the land or turf off the bog. Considering that the wheels, stubs and hitch cost £160. I don't think that £399 is a bad price for a galvanised 5 x 4 trailer. Have a mate who is collecting it for me today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanized-Quad-Tipping-Trailer-/170724118407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bff34f87

looks a good job

looks a good job

Hopefully. I'll tell you what its like when he brings it home to me at the weekend.

Local man "repossessed" 12 of his own sheep that had been stolen. Fair play to ya! :D

was in the mart today, there was a lim weanling bull, he was mad , was going for the lads trying to put him in the ring etc, held the whole show up, i was commenting to the guy beside me that he was a bit mental and he said , thats my bull:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

was in the mart today, there was a lim weanling bull, he was mad , was going for the lads trying to put him in the ring etc, held the whole show up, i was commenting to the guy beside me that he was a bit mental and he said , thats my bull:D

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me once
    His father had a calf that he was bucket rearing but the calf was a proper screw
    He couldn't put condition on him no matter what he tried so decided to sell him and be done with it.
    He took the calf to the mart and was chatting to an acquaintance at ringside while he was waiting for the lot to come up.
    Eventually it was time to sell the weanling and it came into the ring looking very sorry for itself and pretty miserable.
    His acquaintance said "Oh good jaysus will you look at the state of the yoke coming now!"
    My friends father slunk away in shame and brought him home again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hopefully. I'll tell you what its like when he brings it home to me at the weekend.

What does it work out in €? €450? Best of luck with it. Galvanising will stand to it.

All that's left now is to fit crash bars on the side of the quad to keep the cow away from you! :D:D

Muckit wrote: »
    What does it work out in €? €450? Best of luck with it. Galvanising will stand to it.

All that's left now is to fit crash bars on the side of the quad to keep the cow away from you! :D:D

399 pounds sterling in cash on collection so no vat. What ever that is in Euro. Been searching on donedeal for something like it for months and was resolved to buying the wheels, stubs and wheels and making one as a winter project. Couldn't make one for 399 pounds!! It being galvanised is an added bonus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

a man was telling me yesterday he was dosing a heifer and had her all clipped injected and went to open the head gate and she jumped the crush (its 5 ft) out in the yard jumped another gate up to the house jumped the wall out on to busy main road(lucky nothing coming) up the road into somones house and straight threw 5 row of barbed wire, and threw 4 fields untill it came to a field of cows:eek:

Dupont wrote: »
    a man was telling me yesterday he was dosing a heifer and had her all clipped injected and went to open the head gate and she jumped the crush (its 5 ft) out in the yard jumped another gate up to the house jumped the wall out on to busy main road(lucky nothing coming) up the road into somones house and straight threw 5 row of barbed wire, and threw 4 fields untill it came to a field of cows:eek:

.....and then jumped over the moon! The little dog laughed to see such fun and the dish ran away with the spoon! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Muckit wrote: »
    .....and then jumped over the moon! The little dog laughed to see such fun and the dish ran away with the spoon! :D
    i wish. the neighbour had her walked in with her cows this evening but when she seen her she cleared againin. he was wondering is there any way to sedate her but cant get near her to inject

i wish. the neighbour had her walked in with her cows this evening but when she seen her she cleared againin. he was wondering is there any way to sedate her but cant get near her to inject

Sedalin gel will work in a few nuts if she eats them. Chat your Vet about getting a tube!

Keep her together in a bunch. A nervous animal on it's own is a disaster... and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

some of them never settle, i bought a lovely black lim heifer in 08 to keep and she turned out to be a pure header, every time i came into the field she jumped out of it and jumped back into the cows when i was gone!! sold her on again when i eventually got vet to blood test her

399 pounds sterling in cash on collection so no vat. What ever that is in Euro. Been searching on donedeal for something like it for months and was resolved to buying the wheels, stubs and wheels and making one as a winter project. Couldn't make one for 399 pounds!! It being galvanised is an added bonus!!

Well done Reilig, thatś a great deal... well wear!!! You´d have it spent making it and not to mention your time and organising the dipping etc

I see Progressive Genetics have a new catalogue (at least new to me anyway!)
    http://www.progressivegenetics.ie/testsite/beefdata/beeffeature.php

Some very interesting bulls.
    But the best description of stock I've seen in a while is their description of the Limousine bull, Netherhall Epics breeding ability as:

" The first calves are just born and look very promising, oozing style with 'peachy bums' " :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bizzum wrote: »
    oozing style with 'peachy bums' " :D

Just what we used to look for in a lass in a nightclub

http://i.imgur.com/uWqM3.gif

bbam wrote: »
    Bizzum wrote: »
    oozing style with 'peachy bums' " :D

Just what we used to look for in a lass in a nightclub

what's next... Heifer calves "as described by many foreign observers" have the touch of Beyonce about them in the ass end !

Bodacious wrote: »
    what's next... Heifer calves "as described by many foreign observers" have the touch of Beyonce about them in the ass end !

come off it Bodacious..surely Serena Williams is a more suitable comparison :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement