Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

come off it Bodacious..surely Serena Williams is a more suitable comparison :D

Ah now lads, I thought it was Kylie Minogue that won it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

with self assessment income tax and preliminary tax having to be paid next week, this year i did something different i pay €500 a month through direct debit so wont have to pay any preliminary tax next week:D its alot less painful than having to pay the full whack in 1 go. I know you are not obliged to pay any preliminary tax , but it does soften the blow. The biggest down side in itis that the money has to come out on the 9th ofthe month which wouldnt be a great date for me, this can not be changed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

a little surprise down the field this morn a cow that i have out because of very bad feet ( she wont go into the foot crate without a inection to dope her) had a bull calf beside her after sucking and all,i thought she was due around christmas.:D

leg wax wrote: »
    a little surprise down the field this morn a cow that i have out because of very bad feet ( she wont go into the foot crate without a inection to dope her) had a bull calf beside her after sucking and all,i thought she was due around christmas.:D
    i like them surprises when they work out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

whelan1 wrote: »
    with self assessment income tax and preliminary tax having to be paid next week, this year i did something different i pay €500 a month through direct debit so wont have to pay any preliminary tax next week:D its alot less painful than having to pay the full whack in 1 go. I know you are not obliged to pay any preliminary tax , but it does soften the blow. The biggest down side in itis that the money has to come out on the 9th ofthe month which wouldnt be a great date for me, this can not be changed:mad:

get a fee free bank account. (assuming they can still be gotten these days)

setup a standing order from your current account to the other account on the date that suits you, and change the direct debit to go from the new account.

our mortgage is paid on the 17th of every month but the money goes out of the current account into the feeder account on the first of every month. all our direct debits in fact go from that feeder account so on the second of the month whatever's left in my bank account is what I've got to spend on myself. the food/house laser is topped up and all the direct debits for phone, internet, tv, creche etc are covered. takes a while to get used to but it's actually the business as it eliminates a lot of unpleasant surprises. works best with a regular income though, not sure how appliccable it is to full time farming :(

scanned sucklers this morning and weaned some of them, scanned 21 , 21 in calf:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Whelan1, time to give the bull some new girls

Whelan1, time to give the bull some new girls
    time for the bull to go to slimming world, he wouldnt fit down the crush when i went to lepto him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Bizzum wrote: »
    oozing style with 'peachy bums' " :D

Sorry thing to say, but a lot of girls I see in nightclub seem to exhibit a double-muscling gene! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

6600 wrote: »
    Sorry thing to say, but a lot of girls I see in nightclub seem to exhibit a double-muscling gene! :pac:
    and marry her and it trebles:D for some strange reason:P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

when I was tought how to judge dairy cows I was told "you're looking for the same thing you're looking for in a woman; tits, legs and arse in that order" :D

when I was tought how to judge dairy cows I was told "you're looking for the same thing you're looking for in a woman; tits, legs and arse in that order" :D

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Bodacious wrote: »
    some of them never settle, i bought a lovely black lim heifer in 08 to keep and she turned out to be a pure header, every time i came into the field she jumped out of it and jumped back into the cows when i was gone!! sold her on again when i eventually got vet to blood test her

maybe its up here now;)

Sold the calves tonight at Mohill.
    2 blue bulls, 365kg- €850, 360kg- €900.
    Four blue heifers 300kg-€740, 300kg- €790, 345kg- €920 and my red blue was 310kg- €1150.:D

No complaints with the four heifers averaging at €900......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

scanned sucklers this morning and weaned some of them, scanned 21 , 21 in calf:D

That's a great result. Do you mind me asking how much it costed to scan them? Is it a standard call out charge and something like €2 a head?

Thanks Whelan1

• Advertisement

Karen112 wrote: »
    Four blue heifers 300kg-€740, 300kg- €790, 345kg- €920 and my red blue was 310kg- €1150.:D

They are great prices Karen. What side of the auctioneer were you when they were being sold? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

jesus the good citrus is moving fairly fast 700 ton yestersday loaded out ...and there all back for more this morning..........icon6.gif

Muckit wrote: »
    That's a great result. Do you mind me asking how much it costed to scan them? Is it a standard call out charge and something like €2 a head?

Thanks Whelan1
    charged me €380 for scanning 127animals

They are great prices Karen. What side of the auctioneer were you when they were being sold? :D:D

On the end of a phone:mad: Had to work last night.

Feeding the cattle in the slatted shed beef ration of 14%. My nephew (6 years old) has 2 female goats (we are tryng to "sell" them behind his back) and they are living on the feed passage way but they love to have there share of the ration. Will this do them any harm? before this they always got sheep ration. Oh the feed is Flynn feeds if it makes a diff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi Karen
    Well done
    A: Your guess of weight was very close.
    B: The red heifer made a serious price.

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi Karen
    Well done
    A: Your guess of weight was very close.
    B: The red heifer made a serious price.

C- She's not gone too far so I get to visit her!;)

charged me €380 for scanning 127animals

OK. Thanks a mil. It will give me an idea of costs ;) works out around €3 roughly a head so or say €60call out plus €2.50/head

Much appreciated

Muckit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Feeding the cattle in the slatted shed beef ration of 14%. My nephew (6 years old) has 2 female goats (we are tryng to "sell" them behind his back) and they are living on the feed passage way but they love to have there share of the ration. Will this do them any harm? before this they always got sheep ration. Oh the feed is Flynn feeds if it makes a diff

didnt do ours any harm!

We have an aul goat that took up with our cattle for years now, we always throw out a separate handful of meal when feeding otherwise she starts pucking the others out of her way to the trough. Divil of a yoke.

I remember during a real cold spell I felt sorry for her and let her in to the yard where I had a few weanlings. She did nothing but torment them, had a job to to catch her in the end and fire her back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Karen112 wrote: »

well done there Karen, did you sell the 2 bulls you posted pics of there at one point, one lad was blackish in color, blues i think

Cheers Suckler,

I was only checking, as it wount be worth living if something happened them. You know yourself, doing a favour for someone is a right pain.

I hear they are lucky around cattle, especially in red water areas, if you can keep them fenced in.

I think if they are staying around ill get them a fella for a few weeks. May as well be in kid than eating my beech hedging

well done there Karen, did you sell the 2 bulls you posted pics of there at one point, one lad was blackish in color, blues i think

Thanks! They were sold earlier on last month, these two were younger calves, a while blue that could pass as a CH and another lad off a tiny lim cow that has milk for Ireland! He's already in a shed in Sligo and will be shipped abroad in Jan.
    Never actually got pictures of them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Found this site today. A few tractors for sale on it.

http://haybay.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Good site pakalasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Sculled a few cows there today and when i was gathering up the butts after to throw over the wall i saw 5/6 blue bottles stuck to them ... i thought they would be well gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sculled a few cows there today and when i was gathering up the butts after to throw over the wall i saw 5/6 blue bottles stuck to them ... i thought they would be well gone!

Currently up at my holding in North Mayo and noticed a few hanging around the scuttery end of the sheep myself - can only put it down to the fact that the past 2 months have felt warmer then most of summer. To highlight that it looks like getting up to 18C this Sunday according to the folks on the weather forum which is an eye-opener for the middle of November!!:eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Currently up at my holding in North Mayo and noticed a few hanging around the wrong end of the sheep myself - can only put it down to the fact that the past 2 months have felt warmer then most of summer. To highlight that it looks like getting up to 18C this Sunday according to the folks on the weather forum which is an eye-opener for the middle of November!!:eek::confused:

I will have to keep lashing on the alamycin and stocktar until they heal !! wont complain if its 18 degrees though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

! wont complain if its 18 degrees though

I know - but I feel its a waste at this time of year with the days so short - if this was July we'd be talking temps in the high 20's which we haven't seen for years now:(, plus I feel we'll be payin for it later in the winter or spring!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I will have to keep lashing on the alamycin and stocktar until they heal !! wont complain if its 18 degrees though
    its kinda unnatural weather though isnt it? i see some nights if you open the back door of the house all the little midgeys come in. Ive never seen so much grass on the farm at this time of year and all the stock housed and the place swimming..probably not great news for next year with all that old grass, even the bloody lawn is growing all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

its kinda unnatural weather though isnt it? i see some nights if you open the back door of the house all the little midgeys come in. Ive never seen so much grass on the farm at this time of year and all the stock housed and the place swimming..probably not great news for next year with all that old grass, even the bloody lawn is growing all the time

Its real unnatural, 13 degrees this morning @ half six!
    Could be a fierce year for fluke with all the wet in the ground & the humidy heat.
    Bought in lambs to graze off but they can hardly keep it ate, the cattle in the slats are looking out at them with a jealous look in their eye!

It has been a great Autumn in fairness. We got a spurt of grass growth and fine weather just when we needed it. I have all the cattle out still and still a lot of grass to go. I plan to house the cows this weekend and let the lighter cattle graze whats left.

BTW, LIDL are selling Coffee cheap this week. I think it's cheap anyway.
    I know a lot of it can get used on a Dairy farm.

Ordered 5 blue poly rope halters off Pedigreecattle yesterday morning and got them in the post this morning.

Now that's what I call service! And very competitive. €5 a pop + €4.99 total carriage.

I'm sure if a lad had the patience and the knack you could make a few by the fire over the winter. Anyone ever made them? Now I don't mean a 'country job' with big dirty knots, these have plaited loops!

ropehalter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

pakalasa wrote: »
    It has been a great Autumn in fairness. We got a spurt of grass growth and fine weather just when we needed it. I have all the cattle out still and still a lot of grass to go. I plan to house the cows this weekend and let the lighter cattle graze whats left.

BTW, LIDL are selling Coffee cheap this week. I think it's cheap anyway.
    I know a lot of it can get used on a Dairy farm.

If the temperatures stay up like this, we can start growing our own coffee;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tora Bora wrote: »
    If the temperatures stay up like this, we can start growing our own coffee;)

And coke and maybe a few other exotics as well:D What's the rice market like?

Land was in fair slop this mornin, took 3 attempts to back up to the creep feeder to move it. I still have a lot of cattle out, all that's in is the in-calf heifers. Cutting maize is going to be messy.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Ordered 5 blue poly rope halters off Pedigreecattle yesterday morning and got them in the post this morning.

Now that's what I call service! And very competitive. €5 a pop + €4.99 total carriage.

I'm sure if a lad had the patience and the knack you could make a few by the fire over the winter. Anyone ever made them? Now I don't mean a 'country job' with big dirty knots, these have plaited loops!

ropehalter.jpg
    ye, my dad can make them... very handy to have around the place- both dads and halters:D

ye, my dad can make them... very handy to have around the place- both dads and halters:D

True true! ;) I see the lads I bought my ped heifers off, Patsy McCabe, made his up too. Sure he's up your neck of the woods.

blue5000 wrote: »
    And coke and maybe a few other exotics as well:D What's the rice market like?

Land was in fair slop this mornin, took 3 attempts to back up to the creep feeder to move it. I still have a lot of cattle out, all that's in is the in-calf heifers. Cutting maize is going to be messy.

See the button with 4x4. use it:D. or else tell herself to get down off the tractor and you drive it properly ;)

True true! ;) I see the lads I bought my ped heifers off, Patsy McCabe, made his up too. Sure he's up your neck of the woods.
    yup 4 miles away near ardee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got 24 lambs ready for the mart tomorrow, hopefully they'll sell well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Fella down the road getting ready to dig his plot of spuds...
    Sprayed all foliage off with roundup...

Being a systemic weedkiller I'd hate the thought of it being throughout the plant and then eating it... :eek:

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »

Being a systemic weedkiller I'd hate the thought of it being throughout the plant and then eating it... :eek:
    But shur Round Up was developed by Monsanto...it has to be safe....:mad:

saw this over in another thread about heat detection
    www.moominder.ie

seemingly it can do a lot more .... does anyone know where these field trials are being done .... would love to see it in action?

Heard rumours about killarney , but they are a clare company so not sure
    interesting that you joined today and most of your comments are on this company;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

looks good and all, but it is gettin a bit annoying and all with every thread you open being bombarded with moo moniters.

there is a thread up and going on rats im sure they could link in the moo monitor to that and all.:D

it would be much better if they contacted the mods, with this new product they had and asked for a bit of q & a on the topic.

see another lad that just joined has an relative that has them......

any how looks good hope it works out, if it proves its self i would buy it

pm me if ye want some wrere to put in a free demo of it;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

johngalway wrote: »
    Got 24 lambs ready for the mart tomorrow, hopefully they'll sell well :D

Best of luck with em John, hope they go well for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bbam wrote: »

I doubt it some how, unless they were going for stockfeed, probably using Reglone or something similar

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement