Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Tag the rats, and when the temp goes down low enough, we know its toes up time.
    dar31 wrote: »
    looks good and all, but it is gettin a bit annoying and all with every thread you open being bombarded with moo moniters.

there is a thread up and going on rats im sure they could link in the moo monitor to that and all.:D

it would be much better if they contacted the mods, with this new product they had and asked for a bit of q & a on the topic.

see another lad that just joined has an relative that has them......

any how looks good hope it works out, if it proves its self i would buy it

pm me if ye want some wrere to put in a free demo of it;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

J DEERE wrote: »
    Best of luck with em John, hope they go well for ya

We'll see tomorrow :D Got fairly good pen numbers, never like being in the first line as the days prices are still being established. Can sometimes see worse lambs go better money in later lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

BeeDI wrote: »
    Tag the rats, and when the temp goes down low enough, we know its toes up time.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Muckit wrote: »
    Ordered 5 blue poly rope halters off Pedigreecattle yesterday morning and got them in the post this morning.

Now that's what I call service! And very competitive. €5 a pop + €4.99 total carriage.

I'm sure if a lad had the patience and the knack you could make a few by the fire over the winter. Anyone ever made them? Now I don't mean a 'country job' with big dirty knots, these have plaited loops!

ropehalter.jpg

Does anyone know where you can get these type ropes in biege/off white softer rope material that wouldnt cut the head of them, a neighbour of mine ties in his weanlings and wouldnt mind getting him a few of these... i think i saw them in NCF coop but were fairly dear

Bodacious wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get these type ropes in biege/off white softer rope material that wouldnt cut the head of them, a neighbour of mine ties in his weanlings and wouldnt mind getting him a few of these... i think i saw them in NCF coop but were fairly dear

Probably something like rope used on sailing boats would be softer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

johngalway wrote: »

Think its called yacht rope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

johngalway wrote: »

the stuff i saw was even softer than yacht rope its more like the material that is used in horse lead ropes with a clip at the end, double strand but with all the loops/headcollar like nylon one in photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Christies direct had them for less than 10 euro delivered last year and they had a metal ring for better security. They don't do cattle stuff anymore but transferred their business to another company. Google them and drop them a note on their site and they'll point u in the right direction.
    Muckit wrote: »
    Ordered 5 blue poly rope halters off Pedigreecattle yesterday morning and got them in the post this morning.

Now that's what I call service! And very competitive. €5 a pop + €4.99 total carriage.

I'm sure if a lad had the patience and the knack you could make a few by the fire over the winter. Anyone ever made them? Now I don't mean a 'country job' with big dirty knots, these have plaited loops!

ropehalter.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It might be the cotton ones your after. I find you need the poly rope ones until you've them trained though, as the others won't take much abuse.

Take a look here. Give them a ring and they'I post out to you

http://www.pedigreecattle.ie/store/products.php?cat_id=2&subcat_id=31&type=subcat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BBNightmares

Heres how to make your own different farm knots

http://www.ansci.umn.edu/practical-techniques/pg51-56.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hate the halters thathave a metal ring on them, they're worse than useless

Throw away the elastrator, rings and burdizzo for blackface ram lambs. My ram lambs made €12 over what the best of my wether lambs made :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Put 4 new boots on the cruiser this morning. €100 a pop......your man reckoned there wasnt 10 miles left in the old ones:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

See the button with 4x4. use it:D. or else tell herself to get down off the tractor and you drive it properly ;)

4x4 ain't on the button. Using two wd with 25% grips:( I love a challenge. Had to go for a spin in top gear to clean the tyres, got it then;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Put 4 new boots on the cruiser this morning. €100 a pop......your man reckoned there wasnt 10 miles left in the old ones:rolleyes:

What brand did you go for? I'll be looking soon myself. I suppose yer old ones were too bad for the silage pit.

Hose running from the power steering reservoir to the pump on NH was perished and leaking so had to go tinkering :mad: Luckily it was long enough to cut the bad bit off and stick it back on the fitting at pump. Topped up oil and away I went to cut a few silage blocks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »
    What brand did you go for? I'll be looking soon myself. I suppose yer old ones were too bad for the silage pit.

No pit here. They are savero gt radials. Fair depth of rubber on them now. They are fairly cheap but thats what I had on it the last time around and i knocked a year and a half outta them so cant complain. Dont think you could beat that price anywhere either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

cows out for the last day today-replacements have a weeks grass left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

No pit here. They are savero gt radials. Fair depth of rubber on them now. They are fairly cheap but thats what I had on it the last time around and i knocked a year and a half outta them so cant complain. Dont think you could beat that price anywhere either.

have them as well, you see them on alot of jeeps , nothing wrong with them i think

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    cows out for the last day today-replacements have a weeks grass left
    have 4 days left for cows , never have our cows been out so late in the year.... in at night a few weeks though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Looking at a few Massey 3000 series tractors - One salesman did mention that it could be hard to get a loader to fit one of these ( 6cyl models) Is it just the brackets that are hard to source or is it dificult to fit the whole loader assembly?

Edit: looking at a private sale 2nd hand machine - is there anyway to check its history i.e. I dont want to buy a stolen machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

mildest Nov since records began heard on radio on way to work, if the place would only dry up a bit we could let the cattle back out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I weaned the last of the weanlings there on Saturday. Ideal weather for it. I let them into a field of new grass. I walked it yesterday, never seen it as dry. Another month of this weather and it would be heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

blue5000 wrote: »
    4x4 ain't on the button. Using two wd with 25% grips:( I love a challenge. Had to go for a spin in top gear to clean the tyres, got it then;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056437834

check these guys out on camskill.co.uk

great tyres if you need to go offroad a bit, while still being very nice on the road. I'm hugely impressed with them.

mildest Nov since records began heard on radio on way to work, if the place would only dry up a bit we could let the cattle back out :rolleyes:
    our jeep broke down so i am walking to check the cattle, have to agree ground is really dry, even on or wet land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

have them as well, you see them on alot of jeeps , nothing wrong with them i think

have them aswell cant complain so far priced around for them the other day,1 place was 140 each,another 115 each,got 4 off the second lad for obvious reasons,€100 would look better in my pocket ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Belting down rain here in the west, some fooking day for sure.
    Winter has landed with a bang now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Grecco wrote: »
    Belting down rain here in the west, some fooking day for sure.
    Winter has landed with a bang now

Grecco, the gods at Met are giving the west to get 50mm of rain in the next 24 hours, with some high winds.:eek:

Ah i can feel the limestone of the midlands soak up the water underneath my toes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What would folks consider as the most accurate formula for predicting live weight from carcase weight in a Cow?

I should have weighed 2 cows live but didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grecco, the gods at Met are giving the west to get 50mm of rain in the next 24 hours, with some high winds.:eek:

Ah i can feel the limestone of the midlands soak up the water underneath my toes :rolleyes:
    The only water i have is flowing over the tops of my wellies:(

Cold wet miserable day. Bitter bitter cold. The last week has made me soft i think

Ideal day for testing a few cows:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Good job I got the last of the second cut baled and wrapped Tue :D:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    I weaned the last of the weanlings there on Saturday. Ideal weather for it. I let them into a field of new grass. I walked it yesterday, never seen it as dry. Another month of this weather and it would be heaven.
    How things have changed in a couple of days. Wet and miserable here.

only starting raining here in the last hour... got a good spill last night too... brought in some more cattle this morning... got hedges cut during the week, after checking some of the cattle i was walking up the road and there where around 20 empty vodka bottles in the ditch obviously someone is hiding their drink problem;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan1 wrote: »
    only starting raining here in the last hour... got a good spill last night too... brought in some more cattle this morning... got hedges cut during the week, after checking some of the cattle i was walking up the road and there where around 20 empty vodka bottles in the ditch obviously someone is hiding their drink problem;)
    Still in denial about your little problem, whelan1?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

after checking some of the cattle i was walking up the road and there where around 20 empty vodka bottles in the ditch obviously someone is hiding their drink problem;)
    The amount of crap you'd find when cutting hedges or trimming verges would sicken you :mad:

The country is full of dirty feckers, it would seem :(

My place appears to be the exact distance/time it takes to eat a Big-Bag-O'-Shite from the local well-known-national-&-international fastfood franchises. :mad:

was also 4 car tyres

Whelan you need to admit that you have a drink problem, its the first step to recovery
    :D

Whelan you need to admit that you have a drink problem, its the first step to recovery
    :D
    ha ha... would love to know who it is:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Absolutely miserable here today u couldnt do anything there is high winds along with the downpour, im just in for my second change of clothes now:(

Might be starting to clear, winds have picked up though. Have a look at the radar!!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement

This tread should be called 'The weather'!

Perhaps we need a tread totally devoted it?. Mods? :rolleyes:

im in kildare at the oment and its till raining here a little. But the liffey is really high

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Has the diesel at the pumps risen anywhere near you? Just pulled in there earlier, diesel seems to have jumped from 1.43 to 1.49 and petrol stayed at 1.46, it bloody fooled me thinkin petrol was still the dearer one :O

Might be starting to clear, winds have picked up though. Have a look at the radar!!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

I'm starting to look at that more and more. It's fairly accurate too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'm starting to look at that more and more. It's fairly accurate too.

Same here. Very handy if you've a job to do. I'd an hour job to do outside last week and it was dark and milling rain at the time. I took a look at the radar and guessed it would clear in 20mins. My brother was here and he laughed at me when I told him it was going to clear shortly! Sure enough it did. I went and did my job, it stayed dry and started raining about half an hour after I was finished:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

reilig wrote: »
    Bought a quad trailer today. Neighbour has one of these for the last 12 months and its a well made trailer. Multi-purpose - I can put a calf or a ewe into it, but it will also be useful for bringing in firewood off the land or turf off the bog. Considering that the wheels, stubs and hitch cost £160. I don't think that £399 is a bad price for a galvanised 5 x 4 trailer. Have a mate who is collecting it for me today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanized-Quad-Tipping-Trailer-/170724118407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bff34f87

Did you get your trailer into action yet . I was looking for one like that myself ,looks a good job.

have just checked my bank account, milk cheque is in;) revenue commisioners have taken €6000 mor ethan the figure i had but down for them to take in my tax:eek: just as well the milk cheque was in, going to be a very irate call to my accountant at 9 am:mad:

have just checked my bank account, milk cheque is in;) revenue commisioners have taken €6000 mor ethan the figure i had but down for them to take in my tax:eek: just as well the milk cheque was in, going to be a very irate call to my accountant at 9 am:mad:

FFS you just put me off doin anything to do with tax on-line:eek: did you get it sorted?

yes, my language was very colourful:o he put in an amount in july and then put it in again in october ! very apologetic he was when he rang back , he had been on to revenue commisioners and refund being sent out on monday, i had calmed down abit by then was nearly going to go down to the ditch and see if there was any vodka left in those bottles at 6 am... was so annoyed...hard enough paying the tax man what you owe him with out giving him 6k extra

• Advertisement

yes, my language was very colourful:o he put in an amount in july and then put it in again in october ! very apologetic he was when he rang back , he had been on to revenue commisioners and refund being sent out on monday, i had calmed down abit by then was nearly going to go down to the ditch and see if there was any vodka left in those bottles at 6 am... was so annoyed...hard enough paying the tax man what you owe him with out giving him 6k extra

Whelan1, why would you pay tax in July? Was it Preliminary for 2011:rolleyes: or 2010 tax bill paid early:eek:?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement