Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Whelan1, why would you pay tax in July? Was it Preliminary for 2011:rolleyes: or 2010 tax bill paid early:eek:?
    he had put it through in july for some reason, then when i rang to finalise things in october he put the amount through again, he had no record of the first one, he said he normally prints a receipt, it actually doesnt come out of my account til now ... a major fo*k up on his part, it was the 2010 balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

ok, so today you got hit for 6k as per your accountants instruction in april and another 6k per your accountants instruction in October.

Question there is, why did he put it throuht in April when you "hadnt filalised"?

F*ck some dopes make my profession look right robbing and stupid muppits. Thank god im one of the new ones

plus i was paying some preliminary tax to top up what i had paid by dd this year nearly 15k came out of my account this morning:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

whelan1 wrote: »
    plus i was paying some preliminary tax to top up what i had paid by dd this year nearly 15k came out of my account this morning:eek:

A blockbuster TV series could be made about you and that bank account of yours. You could even have lead role.;)

i say if a dd for €15 hit my account it would bounce.

• Advertisement

only for the milk cheque came in i was fooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well you know, they need it to pay all the big fat pensions in the Civil Service.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mary-harney-i-am-worth-my-euro130000-per-year-pension-2939108.html

better in my pocket than theirs:)

am missing 1 card for a weanling is there a form i can print off on line to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

am missing 1 card for a weanling is there a form i can print off on line to get it?

I've never seen one. I have always just contacted the DVO if I was missing one and they sent out the replacement.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is it harder now to get lads to do work than it was in the old days about 3 years ago.

Called 8 plasters a few weeks ago about pricing to plaster outside walls and a shed. of the 8 promises, 2 arrived and still no prices. :rolleyes: . So i said feck them ill build my new calf shed.

I wount lie :p. 5 lads off donedeal i have called to price a 47 x 20 and 63 x 20 free standing lean-to kit building and one price. Its not looking like it will be ready for January at this rate with 4 week lead times

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

Is it just me or is it harder now to get lads to do work than it was in the old days about 3 years ago.

Called 8 plasters a few weeks ago about pricing to plaster outside walls and a shed. of the 8 promises, 2 arrived and still no prices. :rolleyes: . So i said feck them ill build my new calf shed.

I wount lie :p. 5 lads off donedeal i have called to price a 47 x 20 and 63 x 20 free standing lean-to kit building and one price. Its not looking like it will be ready for January at this rate with 4 week lead times

Try Fox Bros engineering they are in Wexford
    I bought one and had itin 2 weeks

had a shed reroofed a few weeks ago, took ages to get lad to do it... last time it rained we thought the down pipe was blocked as the gutter was overflowing, turns out there is no hole in the gutter for the water to come out:o total tool never bothered his butt to put one on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I see in the journal they have a fitting for the heat trace frost protectors.. It allows the trace to go down inside the pipe.. this would be great to protect the section of pipe that comes up from below the frost region to above ground.. no digging up pipes, just slide it down as far as it goes

Brilliant idea indeed...

16watts per meter so a 3 meter stretch would be cheap enough to run.. ~23cent a day if running full time.. but with a stat fitted it wouldn't run fulltime

....ah a new sticky. I was wondering where everyone had gone to. :D

mallethead wrote: »
    Try Fox Bros engineering they are in Wexford
    I bought one and had itin 2 weeks

Cheers Mallethead, i dropped them an email so see what happens.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

did you try donaghy in kilbeggan (Kilbeggan roofing and steel)

rancher wrote: »
    did you try donaghy in kilbeggan (Kilbeggan roofing and steel)

No - never heard of them :eek:. Ill try them now. Cheers Rancher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Have around 40 cubic metres of silage, that's been left behind by a previous tenant. It's been left open all year, water getting at it, birds sh*tting down on it.

what's the best way to convert it into "dung" without making something eat it?

have a few torn and semi rotten round bales too in the same boat.

dump them into the slurry? spread the silage as is (in the spring obviously) spread it out on the ground to rot a bit first?

all suggestions appreciated. will probably have some olde hay and straw to go into it too, lots of cleaning up to be done this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

bust up the pit and let the air into it ,maybe turn it all over and you could add lime to speed up the job.

• Advertisement

Handy way of giving boluses, if you have a locking feed barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QjnkrinkFWg

leg wax wrote: »
    bust up the pit and let the air into it ,maybe turn it all over and you could add lime to speed up the job.

would out in the weather on concrete be better than indoors for this? (silage pit is roofed)

couple of bags of normal builders lime spread over it?

Anyone watch Arrivals on RTE last night? It was heart wrenching stuff. Very sad to see the 48 year old man and his family saying goodbye to his elderly parents at the airport as they boardes a plane for Oz and the old man telling the cameras that he did not know if he would live long enough to see his son or his granchildren again.

It makes you think. I'm certainly glad that I have a bit of land to fall back on if I ever lost my job.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    would out in the weather on concrete be better than indoors for this? (silage pit is roofed)

couple of bags of normal builders lime spread over it?

Normal builders lime will do the trick. I wouldn't leave it out in the open air if I had a roofed pit for it - rain would just wash any minerals out of it (There woulodn't be much in it anyway. ) Turning it over and adding the lime will help it to break down.

Lime is also a useful trick if you have bedded sheds. I have bedded calving pens and clean them out twice a year. I put a bucket of lime into them once a week which kills bacteria and reduces infection. This also breaks down the bedding - leaving it easier to clean out.

nice one.

spread it out in the shed, add lime, I'll see about putting some muck in with it which might help too, sprinkle of lime and mix in the hay/straw.

now to see if I can borrow the tractor with grab from the guy who left it there!

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone watch Arrivals on RTE last night? It was heart wrenching stuff. Very sad to see the 48 year old man and his family saying goodbye to his elderly parents at the airport as they boardes a plane for Oz and the old man telling the cameras that he did not know if he would live long enough to see his son or his granchildren again.

It makes you think. I'm certainly glad that I have a bit of land to fall back on if I ever lost my job.
    ye , felt sorry for the couple going to canada, i'd say it would be very lonely with out the family network to help with very young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'm from the area the 48 year old moved from and my family have called to that shop for years.
    While I do feel sorry for him alot of it was down to how the business had been run in the last 25 years.
    If I had 2 clothes shops in a large town all setup and paid for before the boom I'd be disappointed in myself for not making a go of it.

Its like any family busines farming included if it isn't run properly then its always going to fail.

there are still similar shops that are doing ok in the town today who have alot more overheads.

Like Whelan1 I'd be an awful lot more sympathetic to the younger couple as they seemed quite isolated in Canada.

Dozer1 wrote: »
    I'm from the area the 48 year old moved from and my family have called to that shop for years.
    While I do feel sorry for him alot of it was down to how the business had been run in the last 25 years.
    If I had 2 clothes shops in a large town all setup and paid for before the boom I'd be disappointed in myself for not making a go of it.

Its like any family busines farming included if it isn't run properly then its always going to fail.

there are still similar shops that are doing ok in the town today who have alot more overheads.

Like Whelan1 I'd be an awful lot more sympathetic to the younger couple as they seemed quite isolated in Canada.

I agree with you. I felt more for the parents than the husband and wife. They had handed him over a family business which had been successful for 125 years and he made a mess of the whole lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I don't know the Limerick family from Adam but the impression that i got was that the wife wasn't too devasted the business had failed and was quite happy to be home in Oz with her family just around the corner? Maybe i am just cynical.

I have to say I felt sorry for him - I think he took it quite hard that he was the 1 who had left the business fail after what 4 or 5 generations.

I also felt a bit sorry for the young wife who went to Canada - she seemed incredibly lonely and isolated. The husband was grand as his job seemed to be flying and he was out meeting people. Don't know if her visa would allow it but sometimes in those circumstances it can be better for the wife to pay a childminder and to go out and do a bit of work themselves -even part time. Just to get themselves out and about and integrating with people in their own right.

No doubt about it but emigration is tough when you are a bit older and have kids in tow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

did ya see the young man working on the farm in the out back and living in the caravan . the farm is 18 thousand acres:eek:

Dupont wrote: »
    did ya see the young man working on the farm in the out back and living in the caravan . the farm is 18 thousand acres:eek:
    Ya something else alright. You know when you're doing a bit of fencing or something and you forgot to bring something like the staples.... must be a long trek back to get them.
    18 k acres - that'an area of over 5 miles by 5 miles square.

was at a farm walk yesterday, one of the lads that was there had a pair of really dirty wellies on him, i was disgusted, someone is letting you on to their farm and you arrive with mucky wellies:confused: ifit was my farm i would have asked him to wash them

was at a farm walk yesterday, one of the lads that was there had a pair of really dirty wellies on him, i was disgusted, someone is letting you on to their farm and you arrive with mucky wellies:confused: ifit was my farm i would have asked him to wash them

We've had one or 2 farm evenings on our farm for our suckler discussion group. We always leave a half beer barrel of water with footwear disinfectant at the gate. The group leader stands at teh gate and tells everyone to wash their footwear - even if they are wearing boots. There's nothing like dirty wellies to spread disease!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dupont wrote: »

Normal enough in that part of Oz. Visited a few farms when i was in Oz, one was 30,000 acres and was told of a farm nearly 50,000 acres:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    We've had one or 2 farm evenings on our farm for our suckler discussion group. We always leave a half beer barrel of water with footwear disinfectant at the gate. The group leader stands at teh gate and tells everyone to wash their footwear - even if they are wearing boots. There's nothing like dirty wellies to spread disease!!

Yet lads will walk into a mart off their own farm, be they a buyer or a seller, and boot washing is not compulsory.

Same on the cattle front. Freely traded in marts without them being checked clear for alot of diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Muckit wrote: »
    Yet lads will walk into a mart off their own farm, be they a buyer or a seller, and boot washing is not compulsory.

Same on the cattle front. Freely traded in marts without them being checked clear for alot of diseases.

I agree with you here Muckit on both points - no foot baths or measures
    - Dept guys as well as checking horns could be alot more vigiliant on visual diseases like e.g. ringworm, and/or calves not weaned or signs of stress/illness

got my money back from tax man:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Got my maize cut today, thanx O'Brien bros.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Got my maize cut today, thanx O'Brien bros.
    what was it like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Better than I expected to be honest, 1 field had much better grain than the other one, yield wise I'd guess about 12-13ton fresh wt/acre.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

got the shed finished last night-cattle in this morning

004lf.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lads/lassies, what should I get my Dad for Christmas, I'd like it to be practical for the sucker farm, he doesn't have many more interests. Calving Camera isn't needed, neither is a new jack etc. I'm stumped this year.
    (Sorry if it's a bit early but if I need to order something, I'd like it to be here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Just bought a Pb non-reg hereford incalf heifer, never had a hereford cow before, shes incalf to a limousine bull.......Im not that fond of the limmo's :D What kind of a CH or BB (AI) would a hereford cow bring ? :)

just had a breakout from the slatted shed, i dont know how they opened the u bolt on the gate:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Karen112 wrote: »
    Lads/lassies, what should I get my Dad for Christmas, I'd like it to be practical for the sucker farm, he doesn't have many more interests. Calving Camera isn't needed, neither is a new jack etc. I'm stumped this year.
    (Sorry if it's a bit early but if I need to order something, I'd like it to be here!)
    a calf resusitator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was rushing yesterday to feed cattle as my daughter needed to get to hospital..
    I ended dropping a round bale into a feeder catching the head of a weanling under the bale in the feeder, didn't see from tractor :o
    When I found him he was passed out... got tractor and got bale of him..

He came round and we shifted him to a bedded shed with the loader..
    He got up after 6/7 hours and is staggery still today but a bit better..

Didn't call the vet out but spoke to him... got some pain killer injections but he says there is nothing else can be done only wait and see...

HE should be OK but it made a bad day a hell of allot worse..

I usually fence them off when feeding but thought just this once I'd get away with it..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Sold a few heifers at the mart today and got on well thankfully, but there was one straggler there, born last july and she never really grew, she was 430kg and in good condition I was thinking pity the poor person that bought her,
    Next thing a cousins husband rang me to see what kinda cow she was out of, it was him that bought her and I didnt know what to say. Maybe if she gets into a shed now she might grow :O hopefully lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

polod wrote: »
    Just bought a Pb non-reg hereford incalf heifer, never had a hereford cow before, shes incalf to a limousine bull.......Im not that fond of the limmo's :D What kind of a CH or BB (AI) would a hereford cow bring ? :)

Something like this maybe? BB X HRx heifer calf. She is a young calf or she would have been tagged!

ok, we normally geta deal off the internet , a day at the races or a night in a hotel.... failing that a notebook, a pen and a roll of insulating tape:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A pair of wellies lined with neoprene. Very snug for the freezing winter conditions but were too expensive for me at ~€150. Maybe ideal as a present though;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement