Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Bizzum wrote: »
    Something like this maybe? BB X HRx heifer calf. She is a young calf or she would have been tagged!

cheers Bizzum nice out fit :) I wounder what is the rear of her like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

stanflt wrote: »
    got the shed finished last night-cattle in this morning

004lf.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nice shed stan fit. thinking of putting up something like that for some of the suckers next year. probably go with tank in front of cubicles and either creep at the opposite end of passageway or lean to on the side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

polod wrote: »
    cheers Bizzum nice out fit :) I wounder what is the rear of her like :)

Nice but not extreme. I often think I should have kept her for the bull.

The same cow bred several nice early type of Charolais calves, always mousey coloured with a white head, indeed one that nearly killed her calving was a big heifer calf off Mozart. She had a plain enough Lim early on in her career too by Oilette, who was mad as a hatter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »
    ok, we normally geta deal off the internet , a day at the races or a night in a hotel.... failing that a notebook, a pen and a roll of insulating tape:D

Th wellies may be a good idea as suggested earlier. He does wear them a lot. ......Hotel for my parents.....emmmm.... no. Just no.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    got the shed finished last night-cattle in this morning

004lf.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks a great job there Stanfit. Best of luck with it!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bbam wrote: »
    I ended dropping a round bale into a feeder catching the head of a weanling under the bale in the feeder

How is the weanling today? Is he still alive? A misfortunate thing to have happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Karen112 wrote: »
    Th wellies may be a good idea as suggested earlier. He does wear them a lot. ......Hotel for my parents.....emmmm.... no. Just no.:o
    jeez my parents head off at least once a month there are great deals with dinner included also great deals for "golden oldies" sure different folks different strokes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Muckit wrote: »
    How is the weanling today? Is he still alive? A misfortunate thing to have happen.

He's up and about but still very unsure on his feet.
    Eating drinking and stands straight.
    Time will tell I suppose, he'll be in on his own until he's strong enough to be back at the feeder again. Vet said it all depends what if any permanent damage is done buut he thought it was encouraging he got up so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bizzum wrote: »
    Nice but not extreme. I often think I should have kept her for the bull.

The same cow bred several nice early type of Charolais calves, always mousey coloured with a white head, indeed one that nearly killed her calving was a big heifer calf off Mozart. She had a plain enough Lim early on in her career too by Oilette, who was mad as a hatter!

Plus one on OEI calves being mad, Gave him to a few cows there 2 years ago, Never again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

polod wrote: »
    Just bought a Pb non-reg hereford incalf heifer, never had a hereford cow before, shes incalf to a limousine bull.......Im not that fond of the limmo's :D What kind of a CH or BB (AI) would a hereford cow bring ? :)

did the same earlier this year bought two of them they calved pb calves. we put them in-calf to a simmental bull hoping to get heifers calves. just my twopence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

limo_100 wrote: »
    did the same earlier this year bought two of them they calved pb calves. we put them in-calf to a simmental bull hoping to get heifers calves. just my twopence

A hereford simmental X cow sounds like a good suckler - big frame, easy to handle, easy calved and milky!

What's wrong, frightened of having a sibling to compete with for the farm??!!:D;)

just do it wrote: »
    What's wrong, frightened of having a sibling to compete with for the farm??!!:D;)

Already have one. He lives in Finland. Problem averted:D
    Anyone else at the Fatstock in Carrick on Shannon today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

just do it wrote: »

I was at it ... Some serious quality stock... Huge class over 40 in the 350- 450kg commercial blue heifer class... Ring far too small, they knew that with no. of entries = poorly managed :(

bad legs on fancy blue bull ( he hobbled out of the ring) that won bb bull weanling class, White bull in second was a horse of a beast and legs perfect = poor call on judges behalf

Bodacious wrote: »
    I was at it ... Some serious quality stock... Huge class over 40 in the 350- 450kg commercial blue heifer class... Ring far too small, they knew that with no. of entries = poorly managed :(

bad legs on fancy blue bull ( he hobbled out of the ring) that won bb bull weanling class, White bull in second was a horse of a beast and legs perfect = poor call on judges behalf

White bull? Wonder if that was my friends calf, he had a white bull in Class 30 I think? I'll be curious to hear about prices tomorrow, some great stock on show there today. Me and Dad were trying to beat each other with getting the winners picked in the ring. I managed two for the time I was there. My red heifer was going to be shown at it but she wasn't fed enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We said last year we would try a Lim on a very good BAX to get a replacement. Calved her today. Twin heifers, one red one black. That's 3 sets of twins in a row the last 3 years! :)

Bodacious wrote: »

White bull? Wonder if that was my friends calf, he had a white bull in Class 30 I think? I'll be curious to hear about prices tomorrow, some great stock on show there today. Me and Dad were trying to beat each other with getting the winners picked in the ring. I managed two for the time I was there. My red heifer was going to be shown at it but she wasn't fed enough.

no it was class 28 and heifers were 29, left after that so I didn't see class 30 but saw a later White bull in the sheds by TIY. Few super Charolais calves in it

have my annual review tomorrow in the bank:o am i right in assuming sfp will be in account on thursday, didnt see any mention in the mag last week

have my annual review tomorrow in the bank:o am i right in assuming sfp will be in account on thursday, didnt see any mention in the mag last week

Good luck on both counts!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

No SFP till late January this time plus isnt there going to be a 10% reduction ?

• Advertisement

Grecco wrote: »
    No SFP till late January this time plus isnt there going to be a 10% reduction ?
    not funny at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Could n `t resist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭cjpm

Any one know the following?

How many tonnes per acre of 1st cut silage, and 2nd cut too??

Roughly will do.

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

cjpm wrote: »
    Any one know the following?

How many tonnes per acre of 1st cut silage, and 2nd cut too??

Roughly will do.

Sound.
    12 tonnes settled 1st cut, 7 tonnes 2nd cut. these were the figures we used to use when doing a direct cut, no spring grazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got best price ever personally for lambs last Saturday, people falling over to buy my small Cheviots :D Just wished I had a trailer full and not the 5 I did bring :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

On a more sour note, there were yet more dog attacks on sheep here last week. Four ewes attacked that I know of, none killed, but some consderable chunks of meat removed from their hind quarters. I didn't believe the descriptons until I saw them with my own eyes. Not grabbed about the neck but the top of the back legs, middle of the back areas.

You know cattle are a hot commodity at the moment when ive noticed at least three lads on donedeal that have upped their asking price in response to volume of calls id say!!

One guy good quality CH Second calver was E2350 i think Now asking E2700

twin BB suck and HR bull also upped in price since originally advertised, only ones i spotted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

johngalway wrote: »
    Not grabbed about the neck but the top of the back legs, middle of the back areas.

I think that happens when they chase sheep around for a long while. Eventually a few sheep will 'give up' and just lie down. The dogs then try to get the sheep back up to continue the chase, and nip at them - which turns into biting after a while, and can leave some massive wounds (size of a dinner plate). Last time I saw it, it was a border collie type that did it, so I suppose it had that chase instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

windy night with plenty of rain down here,everyone ok any damage,tell all your woes to uncle legs:D.

lashing here at the minute very dark too.... will have to bring in my dry cows ... have 15 weanlings still out but will have to wait til tomorrow as i am going to the mart later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Saw fields in the midlands under water this morning that I never saw flooded before - even in 2009. Hope its not a sign of what's to come!!

still prefer the rain to the snow though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Fatstock sales prices were a little hit and miss yesterday, but I'm sure the newspapers won't report that. Good heifers for breeding were being snapped up at €2000+.

The bullocks/bulls were another story. Very few of them were sold because they failed to even come near the prices that they would have achieved at marts.

Swimming pool at the back of my house today....€5 euro a head admission;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Swimming pool at the back of my house today....€5 euro a head admission;):)
    cant swim:mad:

leg wax wrote: »

Sure you could give me the fiver anyway and watch the ducks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

leg wax wrote: »

Spot the fisherman

just back from mart got €700 and €760 for 2 cull cows straight from the parlour this morning:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I keep an eye on donedeal, have a ford search in my favourites.

I click on it a few times a day between calls and stuff, today I saw some weights and a weight carrier for €100, located in cork, could be nearby, could be two hours away. transpires they were only 15 minutes away so popped out during lunch.

Not really sure what use the weights will be but the weight carrier is the perfect starting point for a grille guard which I feel is well needed.

I'm well chuffed, similar setups often ask 250-300 euro

• Advertisement

just back from mart got €700 and €760 for 2 cull cows straight from the parlour this morning:D

what weight were they?

PMU wrote: »
    what weight were they?
    650 and 680.... was happy enough as it would have taken me along time to feed them after drying off and one of them was a 2 spinner:cool: would take along time to get that money as a dry cull cow imo- better to take the money and run:rolleyes:

650 and 680.... was happy enough as it would have taken me along time to feed them after drying off and one of them was a 2 spinner:cool: would take along time to get that money as a dry cull cow imo- better to take the money and run:rolleyes:
    too true! i think i will do the same

there where a few whoppers of ch cows there 900kg made €1200, but they where dry and had been fed, As a lad said sure you are after getting milk and calves out of these cows , anything you get as a cull is a bonus

big angus stock bull got his head stuck in round feeder , was carrying the feeder on his head:eek: got him free, thank god ... put a bale of silage on the feeder and he managed to pull free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

big angus stock bull got his head stuck in round feeder , was carrying the feeder on his head:eek: got him free, thank god ... put a bale of silage on the feeder and he managed to pull free

Oh Whelan1, await all the dirty replies to this :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

That's the problem with round feeders, they don't suit animals with horns or even stumps so well. Any manufacturer make feeders where the bars are spaced a little wider than average anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Check out the 2nd photo with no top round bar, it would allow the head to come out vertically; http://www.whitesagri.ie/section6/page22a.aspx

Kinda off topic; why are feed barriers in general diagonal instead of straight vertical? http://www.whitesagri.ie/section6/page22c.aspx

CC

Anyone looking for a cheap cow?:D
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2767258

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

is that each or for the 6 lot? :confused:
    great stock in Mayo :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Kinda off topic; why are feed barriers in general diagonal instead of straight vertical?
    It's to force cattle to rotate their head in order to get back out of the barrier, making them drop most of their big mouthful of silage BEFORE dragging it back into the slurry in the standing passage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement