Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Rovi wrote: »
    It's to force cattle to rotate their head in order to get back out of the barrier, making them drop most of their big mouthful of silage BEFORE dragging it back into the slurry in the standing passage.

Think it is also to do with smaller cattle such as weanlings being less inclined to try and get out through the barriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

Check out the 2nd photo with no top round bar, it would allow the head to come out vertically; http://www.whitesagri.ie/section6/page22a.aspx

Kinda off topic; why are feed barriers in general diagonal instead of straight vertical? http://www.whitesagri.ie/section6/page22c.aspx

CC

Would it work for cattle or is it just for na capaill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

MfMan wrote: »
    Would it work for cattle or is it just for na capaill?

I'd be afraid strong cattle would start bending in the bars as there is no top support... Maybe horses aren't as rough..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

As far as I know, horses wont put their head in under a bar to eat, thats why they are open topped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

after we got him freed we put a round feeder that had no galvanise on the bottom , upside down with a bale in it, so he shouldnt get stuck again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wallah

i had alovely charolais heifer calve this morning and i had just finished sucking the calf
    When into the yard came two lovely people from the department to see if i needed any help with my records
    I spent the next 5 hours looking through my herd register,flock register ,movement permits,cattle tags ,measuring tanks :( . and they are coming back tomorrow to read my sheep as it was a bit wet to do it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

busted my knee this evening, nearly cried:cool: hopping through the feeding trough , as i do about 10 times a day i walloped my knee off the concrete wall... it was like hitting your funny bone, had to sit down for a few minutes, isnt it amazing things you do many times a day and what can happen:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just seen this video on youtube, Thought it was very well designed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

very sweet, someone has been thinking, nice to see a simple & useful design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    there where a few whoppers of ch cows there 900kg made €1200, but they where dry and had been fed

A 900Kg Charolais cow with condition on her is worth a lot more than €1200. Serious trade at the moment:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bizzum wrote: »
    A 900Kg Charolais cow with condition on her is worth a lot more than €1200. Serious trade at the moment:)

I sold a 760kg Dry Charolais cow last saturday with bad feet for €1280.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

weefarmer wrote: »
    As far as I know, horses wont put their head in under a bar to eat, thats why they are open topped!

They will, when they are hungry enough:p BUT, whatever about a cow or a bullock, with the hair on top of the neck worn off from leaning and scratching against the top bar of a feeder, it would be a no no for a horse.
    Horse with a damaged of gapped mane would be seriously devalued. Then again, most of them are worth feck all at the minute in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

From next year, brucellosis testing for dairy cows every 5 years, according to the journal:):):)

Sucklers every other year though still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Now that's clever.

It could do with some more development to automate it I'd imagine but it's damm clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Now that's clever.

It could do with some more development to automate it I'd imagine but it's damm clever.

I think that the whole novel idea of it is that it isn't automated. This makes it cheaper to buy and less complicated to operate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭cjpm

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Now that's clever.

I was thinking the same, but if a fella is only moving a bale a day, getting on and off wouldn't be too bad. Wouldn't like to be moving 40 bales in a day though!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

A few linkages and levers could probably improve it a lot for very small cost.

obviously you could put a donkey engine, pump, rams and a remote operated spool block on there too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I sold a 640kg 4yo dry cow today and got €1,200 for her. I hope some fella didn't buy her for breeding as whilst she looks a good cow she's no milk and produces a poor calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Horse with a damaged of gapped mane would be seriously devalued. Then again, most of them are worth feck all at the minute in any case.

Funny how things swing. When the horses were flying the cattle were poor and now they're the opposite:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

SFP in :)

wallah wrote: »
    i had alovely charolais heifer calve this morning and i had just finished sucking the calf
    When into the yard came two lovely people from the department to see if i needed any help with my records
    I spent the next 5 hours looking through my herd register,flock register ,movement permits,cattle tags ,measuring tanks :( . and they are coming back tomorrow to read my sheep as it was a bit wet to do it today
    How did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Picked out a nice level heifer at a sale there this week, 440kg or so. €1190....:o no way was I going to match that! And there are floods within floods here in Mayo. I want to be back in the midlands again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Karen112 wrote: »
    Picked out a nice level heifer at a sale there this week, 440kg or so. €1190....:o no way was I going to match that! And there are floods within floods here in Mayo. I want to be back in the midlands again:(

When did Letrim move to the Midlands ?

thetangler wrote: »
    When did Letrim move to the Midlands ?

When you're near Longford it's close enough :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wallah

5live wrote: »
    wallah wrote: »
    How did it go?

They came back looked through the register
    To make sure it was up to date
    Took the numbers of a 20 sheep
    checked they were in the register
    checked no tags were missing.
    Made sure we had sent back the nitrate form to johnstown castle , its called record 4 as we have them on rented ground till march

• Advertisement

Good news. You're off the radar for a few years so;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just after washing work pants with my phone in the pocket!

It was the pure finest after I took it out! Missed call on it and all where I had rang it to try find it! Go on the SAMSUNG!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Muckit wrote: »
    Just after washing work pants with my phone in the pocket!

It was the pure finest after I took it out! Missed call on it and all where I had rang it to try find it! Go on the SAMSUNG!!! :D

lucky man, that's some phone is it in some sort of waterproof cover thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

went out this morn to find pbr charolais cowcalved with a bull calf dead behind her, veal over its head f..k it anyway

case 5150 wrote: »
    went out this morn to find pbr charolais cowcalved with a bull calf dead behind her, veal over its head f..k it anyway

Bad luck there:( Here was me thinking I had a bad morning after trying what seems like every pub in Dublin last night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

Karen112 wrote: »
    Bad luck there:( Here was me thinking I had a bad morning after trying what seems like every pub in Dublin last night!

ha that what i kicking meself about i should have looked at her in the shed when i came home from the pub i might have been able to save the calf. suppose these things happen worse if i went out and found both cow and calve dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sold a limo cull cow on saturday, 720kg made 1360

Bodacious wrote: »
    lucky man, that's some phone is it in some sort of waterproof cover thing?

Samsung-Xcover-B7210-405x450.jpg
    The cover around the phone is 'waterproof.'
    I really put that one to the test! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've one of those Samsungs. You can drop them in slurry and everything..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Muckit wrote: »
    Samsung-Xcover-B7210-405x450.jpg
    The cover around the phone is 'waterproof.'
    I really put that one to the test! :D

What the model number of those phones as 02 owe me a few phones since I changed plan.

Samsung B2100 - a very basic phone, but tough as old leather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4D6xlZxII

pakalasa wrote: »
    Samsung B2100 - a very basic phone, but tough as old leather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4D6xlZxII

is it basic enough to be able to make phone calls:D:D

Yep, you can send text messages aswell.

It must have been swirling around in the drum of the washing machine for a good 20 min!!

I was full sure that water would get in at the ear piece, but had a few phone calls since and it's working hunky dory! ;)

pakalasa wrote: »
    Yep, you can send text messages aswell.

what are them?

• Advertisement

what are them?

Christ:D

Winter is really in.... Started feeding today Dec 5th,cows were delighted to see the bale coming... Could have held off a bit longer but it's harsh weather on them ... Couple calving end of Jan so no point letting them slip ... Many others that outwinter started feeding yet? What's the crack down your way Redzer, still holding off or flat out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

feeding the heifers around the yard but I should last till christmas with the rest.

Winter is really in.... Started feeding today Dec 5th,cows were delighted to see the bale coming... Could have held off a bit longer but it's harsh weather on them ... Couple calving end of Jan so no point letting them slip ... Many others that outwinter started feeding yet? What's the crack down your way Redzer, still holding off or flat out?

Feeding the weanlings nuts at the moment, Will start giving them a bit of silage next week, tis tuff weather on them now. Cows gone to the winterage with about a week, They wont see anything till feburary....hopefully:D

Feeding the weanlings nuts at the moment, Will start giving them a bit of silage next week, tis tuff weather on them now. Cows gone to the winterage with about a week, They wont see anything till feburary....hopefully:D

February!... Thats a gift to have that amount of Winterage..You all march/april calving then so!? would you ever get the odd one losing condition for whatever reason and have to bring her in for a bit of TLC.

feeding the heifers around the yard but I should last till christmas with the rest.

This years heifers or in calf ladies?

February!... Thats a gift to have that amount of Winterage..You all march/april calving then so!? would you ever get the odd one losing condition for whatever reason and have to bring her in for a bit of TLC.

Mostly march april and the dreaded may but there is always a few that calf up there before we bring them home. A few of the older cows that would be a bit poorer we would keep around home and the would get a bit of silage aswell and would start feeding a bit earlier. Cows in the winterage never see silage. They just get about 3kgs of the burren nut for about 6 weeks. You would want a cow with thick skin for it though, blondes parts and blues are out of the question.

Mostly march april and the dreaded may but there is always a few that calf up there before we bring them home. A few of the older cows that would be a bit poorer we would keep around home and the would get a bit of silage aswell and would start feeding a bit earlier. Cows in the winterage never see silage. They just get about 3kgs of the burren nut for about 6 weeks. You would want a cow with thick skin for it though, blondes parts and blues are out of the question.

Good hardy LM x, CH x, AA, HR Xś so or salers, have no blondes or parts yet but they softer for being outside?, used of better climates i suppose!

Youd want a kinda loose fleshy cow if you didnt want to be feeding them, The tighter skinned more well muscled just dont seem up to it, I spose they dont get the cover of fat under the skin if ya get me. We have a good few sim cows and the do alright in it. Whiteheads suit it best and wouldnt need to be fed at all but theres no trade for them round here so rules them out. Charolais are prob better than lims for it but I still prefer the lims for breeding off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

This years heifers or in calf ladies?

maidin heifers that I brought home so I could catch them bulling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement