Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

polod wrote: »
    Would any one reckon a MF 165 with a loader would be able to stack chopped silage bales 3 high ?
    no,its too light, it would over-balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

PMU wrote: »
    no,its too light, it would over-balance

Even with a good counter weight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

having been watching my calves pen on camera on and off there from work lately, jeez its unreal the amount of crows and magpies that are coming in among them this time every day, they are wandering in about the calves and on top of meal trough of course, could be 10 or 15 birds at a time, no wonder I have coccidiosis..have ordered one of those bird scarers if they are any good. they are bold feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

depends on the loader.

the olde massey loader will be under a hell of a lot of pressure. have a friend with one and they got some bales this year that they just couldnt lift, first time it's happened. (I think they were the fabled fusion bales :) )

but if you've a strong enough loader then there's no reason why not. (assuming a proper counterweight)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

having been watching my calves pen on camera on and off there from work lately, jeez its unreal the amount of crows and magpies that are coming in among them this time every day, they are wandering in about the calves and on top of meal trough of course, could be 10 or 15 birds at a time, no wonder I have coccidiosis..have ordered one of those bird scarers if they are any good. they are bold feckers

Any harm ask how to go about getting live feed to web.

Thanks.

reps4 wrote: »
    Any harm ask how to go about getting live feed to web.

Thanks.

well you need broadband to begin with, then you need an IP camera, your camera will be connected back to your brandband modem the same as you would with your pc, then you just need to change a few setting on your modem and you should be able access your camera from the internet. there are of course a few complications in between, you may need a wireless connection from your house up to the sheds to get the camera connected but thats the jist of it

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Hey,

Does anyone know why rakerman is finishing his agri videos on YouTube?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTemRGo-ZhU&feature=uploademail

polod wrote: »
    Even with a good counter weight ?
    front wheels of a 165 were not designed for heavy weights,you could burst a tyre or a wheel disc with 800kg bale 10 ft in the air and be in a dangerous place very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i assume its coarse meal you are feeding, birds dont like nuts /pencils as they are harder to carry, or else feed the meal little and often... i hate crows, but there shouldnt be too many around at this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

The bird scarers that mimic the calls of predator birds are pretty good I think. They are most effective if the birds haven't already got the habit of going into your sheds though. Best to have it up and running before there is meal around, otherwise maybe find some other means of scaring them away :eek: , then get the bird scarer up and running.

whelan1 wrote: »
    i assume its coarse meal you are feeding, birds dont like nuts /pencils as they are harder to carry, or else feed the meal little and often... i hate crows, but there shouldnt be too many around at this time of year

calf crunch mixed with beef nut, they are in picking around the straw where the calves are, dirty fcukers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

calf crunch mixed with beef nut, they are in picking around the straw where the calves are, dirty fcukers
    vander why are you mixing them?:confused:

leg wax wrote: »
    vander why are you mixing them?:confused:

not for any dietary reason , just find that calves are a bit slow to start on beef nut, think the crunch helps get them started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

front wheels of a 165 were not designed for heavy weights,you could burst a tyre or a wheel disc with 800kg bale 10 ft in the air and be in a dangerous place very quickly.

cheers yeah was thinking of upgrading the stub axels on it....the 165 does flip all work and it would leave the 'good' 4wd tractor free all the time and avoid costs with bushings and bearing going in it ...that was just my thinking of putting a loader on the 165 :D it would do every thing i need if, except the silage so maybe :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You could trap them. The link below is the legal bit:

http://www.npws.ie/media/npws/publications/legaldocs/Declaration%20for%20Munster%20Sept%202011.pdf

Don't pay any heed to the dates, they're rolled over every three months.

This is the ideal trap:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/14348-ladder-trap/page__p__169185#entry169185

This is a thread about them:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/14348-ladder-trap/

More info: (DON'T use the method in fig.4, it's not legal here !!)

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Magpies.asp

Bait it with some of what you're feeding the calves, only knock off the birds at night as free birds will not go into the trap if they see you in and killing their mates (they're not stupid).

They need to fold their wings to get inside the trap, when they try to fly out, they head for the highest part of the inside of the cage, where there's no exit, which is why the vaulted sides are important.

A Larsen trap is also useful, but works a hell of a lot better in Spring, when magpies are territorial.

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    You could trap them. The link below is the legal bit:

http://www.npws.ie/media/npws/publications/legaldocs/Declaration%20for%20Munster%20Sept%202011.pdf

Don't pay any heed to the dates, they're rolled over every three months.

This is the ideal trap:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/14348-ladder-trap/page__p__169185#entry169185

This is a thread about them:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/14348-ladder-trap/

More info: (DON'T use the method in fig.4, it's not legal here !!)

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Magpies.asp

Bait it with some of what you're feeding the calves, only knock off the birds at night as free birds will not go into the trap if they see you in and killing their mates (they're not stupid).

They need to fold their wings to get inside the trap, when they try to fly out, they head for the highest part of the inside of the cage, where there's no exit, which is why the vaulted sides are important.

A Larsen trap is also useful, but works a hell of a lot better in Spring, when magpies are territorial.

`thanks John, does the old trick of hanging a few dead ones around the sheds work i wonder?

`thanks John, does the old trick of hanging a few dead ones around the sheds work i wonder?

The ould fella reckons it does, the amount of crows around his shed tells me otherwise :D

If you decide to make one, 2"x2" weldmesh and cable ties are just the job, lightweight and last forever, and you can take it apart. Coen Steen in Oranmore in Galway do 8 foot by 4 foot sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Not really. We shot some that were attacking bales a few years back and hung them up. the grey crows ate every bit of them but the feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

not for any dietary reason , just find that calves are a bit slow to start on beef nut, think the crunch helps get them started
    +1 and can drop the crunch after a week to 10 days...

johngalway wrote: »
    Coen Steen in Oranmore in Galway do 8 foot by 4 foot sheets.

Banner Steel in Clarecastle also do them. I can't remember how much they were but I rang a few suppliers at the time and they were all pretty much the same.

I used them for an enclosure for the dog and kids out the back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »

Jaysus. Hope ISPCC don't read this:D:D

I can't remember how much they were but I rang a few suppliers at the time and they were all pretty much the same.

I paid €22 per sheet last time as far as I can remember. Some General Merchants closer to me were twice that price :eek: The brother in law has a big van though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Would the Jourdain type calf creep feeder that you hang on the gate be an idea?

View2-7909951.jpeg

they're a bit over €200 I think. Or you could make up a homemade similar version of a hopper over a trough, made from plywood and angle iron.

Do you buy the nuts in bags or loose?

Muckit wrote: »

View2-7909951.jpeg

they're a bit over €200 I think. Or you could make up a homemade similar version of a hopper over a trough, made from plywood and angle iron.

Do you buy the nuts in bags or loose?

ya i was thinking about something similar, feck it its a bad job when you cant even have an open trough in a shed though, will be interesting to see if this bird scarer is any good

Bizzum wrote: »

Jaysus. Hope ISPCC don't read this:D:D
    :-)
    The enclosure is bigger than the average celtic tiger housing estate back garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

reilig wrote: »
    Not really. We shot some that were attacking bales a few years back and hung them up. the grey crows ate every bit of them but the feet!

LOL:D

was walking backwards over cubicle shed this morning , fell over scraper and landed in the load of crap it was scraping:rolleyes:

was walking backwards over cubicle shed this morning , fell over scraper and landed in the load of crap it was scraping:rolleyes:

at least it broke the fall for you ;)

why were you walking backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

why were you walking backwards?

It's a 'Christmas' thing:

• Advertisement

was brushing the mats and walking backwards , thought i was stepping over the scraper but i wasnt, fell over it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nige2000

was brushing the mats and walking backwards , thought i was stepping over the scraper but i wasnt, fell over it instead

good job there was no one there to see it you wouldn't want to be embarrassed :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ah Whelan hope your ok, weather is a bit cold for that sh1te:D

Had a clear tb test here this week, had another one in august, neighbours had a reactor.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

was my mrs doyle moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nige2000

was my mrs doyle moment !

maybe some father jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

a man died in carnew mart today very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

started taking down our hay loft today. two thirds of the way through it now, all manual.

Adding a lot of old straw to my soon to be compost heap.

Of course typically the weekend I start into a long indoor job the weather is bone dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I did something similiar today in my place down in Mayo while mucking out the cow shed - unfortunatly got no soft landing and now feel like my lower back was trod on by the entire Munster Scrum:(

was worried on my way down that my knee would go out again but the calf of my leg is killing me:o having a glass of wine to ease my pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

was worried on my way down that my knee would go out again but the calf of my leg is killing me:o having a glass of wine to ease my pain

I'll be doing something similiar myself after a nice hot bath!!:D

my mother is in hospital at the minute and i had visions of being in there beside her:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was anyone else at the Angus Sale in Carrick today?
    Some lovely stock. One is arriving for me shortly:D

Karen112 wrote: »
    Was anyone else at the Angus Sale in Carrick today?
    Some lovely stock. One is arriving for me shortly:D
    could accomadate you with angus stock any day;)

could accomadate you with angus stock any day;)

I'm not usually an Angus lady, but this one has relieved me of my Christmas partying account:o

Muckit wrote: »

View2-7909951.jpeg

they're a bit over €200 I think.

I see another version on Donedeal.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2804235

Probably hard to beat the Jourdain though if the money is similar!

• Advertisement

I'm not usually an Angus lady, but this one has relieved me of my Christmas partying account:o

What did you go for Karen?
    Hope she is lucky with ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Anymore info, accident ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Anymore info, accident ?
    Probably best not to get into detail on this; we have no idea of the circumstances of this incident, or if the person's relatives or friends are possibly reading this forum.
    RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Congrats Karen,

once you go black
    you'll never go back :D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Bizzum wrote: »
    What did you go for Karen?
    Hope she is lucky with ya!

"Mohedian Gwen", lovely little 14 month old for the shows next year. I would have even gone a thousand more on her:o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement