Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Anymore info, accident ?

<SNIP>

[MOD] Please DO NOT post details (speculative or otherwise) of this unfortunate incident.
    Have some respect for the deceased and their family & friends. [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

blue5000 wrote: »
    Congrats Karen,

once you go black
    you'll never go back :D

For the size of her, I'd rephrase that;)

Karen112 wrote: »
    "Mohedian Gwen", lovely little 14 month old for the shows next year. I would have even gone a thousand more on her:o

She was never shown before, placed middle in the show, yet I had three men ask me if I'd step down.
    T' fook. I buy out!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

did you go to see the incalf sucklers in carnross sat legwax were they good stock there?

ellewood wrote: »
    did you go to see the incalf sucklers in carnross sat legwax were they good stock there?

Presume you mean Carnew?
    I was there, some very good stock but the earliest of them will calve in late March/April with some not until June. Too late for my liking. You'd buy bulling heifers now and have a calf only 3 months later for a lot less cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

ellewood wrote: »
    no iwas in carnew mart on sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd buy bulling heifers now and have a calf only 3 months later for a lot less cash.

The shortest gestation ever! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Hey,

Does anyone know why rakerman is finishing his agri videos on YouTube?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTemRGo-ZhU&feature=uploademail

Presumably he's running out of videos? In fairness there's only so many one man can make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

electronic bird scarer arrived in post this morning, set it off in the office to much giggling anyway so hopefully it works better on birds :)

Muckit wrote: »
    The shortest gestation ever! :D:D

Theres always one:D. I meant three months later than those june calving sucklers would be calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I was out buying meal on Saturday and weighted the jeep and totally shocked.

For a pajero sport & Ifor williams 10x6 plant trailer, myself and herself and a few tools and a jfc empty meal bin wa 2980kg :eek:

Add 600kg of meal and i was over 3.5t

More shocking, i do pull a 3t digger on the trailer and well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

JohnBoy wrote: »

:eek:. 2.8T - Feck. I do have the ifor and mini digger on it maybe 10 - 12 times a year. and the cattle trailer and a few heifers about the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i pulled a forklift weighing 4500kg a spindle weighing 400kg on a predator plant trailer from kildare to Monaghan behind a pajero no bother only the diesel consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

having a crappy few days... last week the vaccuum pump was playing up on the milking machine, yesterday one of the scrapers would just do a few strokes then stop- its the main scraper that takes all the crap.... tried to fix it , ended up it was the solenoid... then yesterday another 2 scrapers broke, this morning the compressor that we use for the feeders in the parlour packed up... its gone off now to see whats wrong, looks like the motor!

Having one myself Whelan, a black hole has appeared in the office today and six blue cards have vanished:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

1chippy wrote: »
    i pulled a forklift weighing 4500kg a spindle weighing 400kg on a predator plant trailer from kildare to Monaghan behind a pajero no bother only the diesel consumption.

Jesus that sh*t annoys me no end.

There is no way in hell a pajero can control the bones of 6 tonne behind it in an emergency.

It's not what you can pull that counts, it's what you can stop that matters.

i could never imagine my pajero pulling 6ton. The digger and trailer is 4ton and to be honest i would be only tipping from my place to the parents or back which is 20km away and can take 45 mins. No harder than 70km/hr.

whelan1 wrote: »
    having a crappy few days... last week the vaccuum pump was playing up on the milking machine, yesterday one of the scrapers would just do a few strokes then stop- its the main scraper that takes all the crap.... tried to fix it , ended up it was the solenoid... then yesterday another 2 scrapers broke, this morning the compressor that we use for the feeders in the parlour packed up... its gone off now to see whats wrong, looks like the motor!
    got new motor... we had 1 weanling heifer that we didnt de horn in the spring as she had bad pnuemonia, the only animal in the place with horns and she got it caught this morning, had to get vet to come out and cut it off, it bled and bled took 45 mins to stop the bleeding after the horn came off, touch wood its stopped now...i looked like i had been in a row with a chainsaw when we where finished:cool:

got new motor... we had 1 weanling heifer that we didnt de horn in the spring as she had bad pnuemonia, the only animal in the place with horns and she got it caught this morning, had to get vet to come out and cut it off, it bled and bled took 45 mins to stop the bleeding after the horn came off, touch wood its stopped now...i looked like i had been in a row with a chainsaw when we where finished:cool:

Did the vet not pull the veins out? instant stop to the blood. I think its 4 veins on each horn.

• Advertisement

Did the vet not pull the veins out? instant stop to the blood. I think its 4 veins on each horn.
    yes she pulled the veins out... ended up with twine wrapped around her head.... took a load of veins from the bleeding side, the other side had feck all blood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

yes she pulled the veins out... ended up with twine wrapped around her head.... took a load of veins from the bleeding side, the other side had feck all blood

She (weanling) will need to be watched over the next few days with the cold weather.

Busy day here bolusing all the weanlings on the kale, + cows that are going to be on it the rest of the winter. Got done:( 1% on my X compliance insp for gutters, anyone know if it's worth appealing it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

She (weanling) will need to be watched over the next few days with the cold weather.

Busy day here bolusing all the weanlings on the kale, + cows that are going to be on it the rest of the winter. Got done:( 1% on my X compliance insp for gutters, anyone know if it's worth appealing it?

Worth appealing but I don't know if they listen at all.
    (going off compliance topic here)
    I still have two heifers that were not paid for through the suckler scheme last year. The reason? 'ICBF Invalid Error' which is what I see online. No one and I mean NO one in any office I was connected to, could tell me why I was not paid. I have given up looking for it at this stage. But to me, if someone is working in a job which is specified to deal with something, surely I would hit on at least one person who would give a single f**k about me getting my money.

Sorry...rant over:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

Do they not give you warning or a period of grace to rectify this?

MfMan wrote: »
    Do they not give you warning or a period of grace to rectify this?
    how bad where they? was it raining when they where inspecting you?

end of a perfect day, back window broke in the tm 125 this evening... ah well tomorrow is another day:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I still have two heifers that were not paid for through the suckler scheme last year. The reason? 'ICBF Invalid Error' which is what I see online. No one and I mean NO one in any office I was connected to, could tell me why I was not paid. I have given up looking for it at this stage. But to me, if someone is working in a job which is specified to deal with something, surely I would hit on at least one person who would give a single f**k about me getting my money.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, try your local IFA office, person there is paid by IFA, But he won't hold his job if he doesn't sell membership, and he won't sell membership if he doesn't solve local problems. You are entitled to the courtesy of being given a proper reason or payment, Its only going to entail another phonecall at worst

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

rancher wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding repetitive, try your local IFA office, person there is paid by IFA, But he won't hold his job if he doesn't sell membership, and he won't sell membership if he doesn't solve local problems. You are entitled to the courtesy of being given a proper reason or payment, Its only going to entail another phonecall at worst

Thanks for all the suggestions, didn't think of asking IFA, the gutters need to be replaced, but its not a simple job. We have pillars up for another shed to go beside it and was waiting to put up the second shed before doing the gutters.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Thanks for all the suggestions, didn't think of asking IFA, the gutters need to be replaced, but its not a simple job. We have pillars up for another shed to go beside it and was waiting to put up the second shed before doing the gutters.

Your penalty sounds over the top to me unless the water from the leaking gutter is crossing a sh...y yard, Try the local office,they might get a bit of common sense into it

rancher wrote: »

Thanks, it's just a niggling thing. I have put so much time into trying to get payment that I would just like to see some acknowledgement at this stage.
    I've prob put more money into calls then the payment is worth but I'll be dammed if they fleece others who don't fight. Penpushers.................:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I had a letter from the SCWS last week about a pedigree heifer that I had registered in 2010. They said that I did not give the Sire details. I registered her through the agfood.ie site, and this does not allow you to register a calf without providing teh ai code or the bull tag number. Also, the Limousin society do your registrations from the agfood site - how did they produce a pedigree cert for the heifer if I hadn't provided the correct code??

I sent the above info to them in a nice letter. They rang me back again saying that i still hadn't provided the bull tag number. I had toexplain to them that i didn't know his tag number, it was ai. The lady on the phone then said "Oh I didn't know that you didn't have to provide the tag number if you supply an ai code".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You're right, you don't need to provide the Tag Number if you provide the AI code when regristrating on-line. I do it all the time.

The civil servvice is just a world of it's own isn't it. I remember a few years back, I was submitting a Single Payment application form, in the Dept Office in Ennis, on the last day. There was two windows open when you went in, with two women sitting behind them. There was a long queue at one window and nobody at the other. Of course I thought that the window had just opened and headed for it, the woman behind it just screamed at me - "I'm not doing the Single payment, go to the other window". Everyone starts laughing in the queue. The same for every farmer that came in after that. Got a laugh every time.
    I felt like dragging her out through the window. She just sat there looking at the clock every now and then, while the other queue just got bigger.
    Civil service for ya. Could you imagine a business operating like that. They'd be closed in a week.

i used baled sawdust on the cubicles, i carry them over to cubicle shed on my shoulder, carrying 1 over this morning and a bloody mouse jumped out of it:eek:

i used baled sawdust on the cubicles, i carry them over to cubicle shed on my shoulder, carrying 1 over this morning and a bloody mouse jumped out of it:eek:

I was putting on my riding helmet last year and a dead mouse fell on my head:(

I think only dogs could hear the screech that followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

reilig wrote: »
    I had a letter from the SCWS last week about a pedigree heifer that I had registered in 2010. They said that I did not give the Sire details. I registered her through the agfood.ie site, and this does not allow you to register a calf without providing teh ai code or the bull tag number. Also, the Limousin society do your registrations from the agfood site - how did they produce a pedigree cert for the heifer if I hadn't provided the correct code??

I sent the above info to them in a nice letter. They rang me back again saying that i still hadn't provided the bull tag number. I had toexplain to them that i didn't know his tag number, it was ai. The lady on the phone then said "Oh I didn't know that you didn't have to provide the tag number if you supply an ai code".

Never mind how do you tag an insect from a thread a while back, how do ya tag swimmers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

was at that angus sale.. some great stock at it..best prices there in years--averages!! angus breed on the up--great to see..long may it continue
    good luck with ur new purchase karen..
    did you try Ag food online.. as normally a code beside reason for non-payment of a weanling

wiggy123 wrote: »
    was at that angus sale.. some great stock at it..best prices there in years--averages!! angus breed on the up--great to see..long may it continue
    good luck with ur new purchase karen..
    did you try Ag food online.. as normally a code beside reason for non-payment of a weanling

Ya, as explained earlier, what was quoted online was ICBF Invalid Error....ehhh.....
    To me, that is nonsense.

powerwashed the yard today for santa coming;) went out shopping and came back and yard is like an ice rink:o hope the frost isnt as bad tonight as it was last night

anyone see ellamc sweeny on lotto draw, my husband said she didnt leave too much to the imagination:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

anyone see ellamc sweeny on lotto draw, my husband said she didnt leave too much to the imagination:eek:

:D
    Rushes off to see if its on the RTE Player......
    :P

ds who is 10 said to me " look at her boobies":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Ella is off the charts !!! Would you get that on player or just the numbers?!

Officially on leave til first week of Jan. Never has there been a happier Karen:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

went out this morn and cow with calve threw not due till feb

Roads are very bad around here. Never seen as thick of ice on them. We had a whole night of rain and it froze on top of the road. Can't even get the tractor up the gentle slope out of the yard. Just sits there with the 4 wheels spinning. Be careful if you're going out on the road today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1127293 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »

Special treat in store is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I can't believe I'm sitting at work at 9am on a cold Monday morning watching the Lotto draw.:D
    Ya, Ella, she can bucket feed my calves any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

........must start doing the lotto!

RTE put up the wrong numbers on screen at the end and its feared that the winner may have dumped the ticket - according to the radio this morning.

Whoever types up the numbers must have been distracted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement