Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jay gatsby wrote: »
    It's the online location, e.g.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=76580825

If you had that you should be able to find the video.

Ithink!!!
    i cant find that on my you tube home page under my videos.just looked how did you find it for boards as above,sorry never did this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

i bought a 47 x 20 (12ft at front fallling to 10ft at back) free standing lean to with 5ft sides for €2,400 plus the vat on saturday. I was 3 months getting prices :eek: and only managed to get 2 prices from about 15-20 calls and calls and repeat calls

:rolleyes: And I thought my aul fella had patience!
    1chippy wrote: »
    could you pm their contact. i priced the steel alone for a four bay open sided. with 6' overhang. the 8x4 steel without being cut no cleats or any welding done came in at 1900.

Can you send me on their contact details as well. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

leg wax wrote: »
    i cant find that on my you tube home page under my videos.just looked how did you find it for boards as above,sorry never did this before.
    the url is the bar at the top of the page that starts with www. if you copy it you can post it on the board.
    by the way what is your user name on youtube

i went to mountrath last night,best incalf heifer made 5200 [was a show heifer] cows with calf at foot made 2400-2850. worst incalf heifer made 1600 .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

i went to mountrath last night,best incalf heifer made 5200 [was a show heifer] cows with calf at foot made 2400-2850. worst incalf heifer made 1600 .

I don't want to be running down the current great prices but by God they are serious amounts of money to be burying in one maybe two animals.

I'd say the same for calves going for 600 euro. Current steer and bull prices I can understand. Still not easy to get numbers up at this level though.

long may it continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Another one to be born with tags in their ears:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2913875

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Saw this on DD...
    Not knowing anything about imported stock... :rolleyes:
    What are the implications down the line... would they be less desirable later in the mart or factory ??

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2871411

Full-9361162.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

bbam wrote: »
    Saw this on DD...
    What are the implications down the line... would they be less desirable later in the mart or factory ??

Full-9361162.jpeg
    More hassle for the factory really. Country of origin and country of slaughter have to be supplied and i think that means separate batching for the factory to ensure no mixing with native stock. Pretty much the same argument we use to try to get irish store animals sold to english fatteners

bbam wrote: »
    Saw this on DD...

Full-9361162.jpeg

Only certain factories will kill them if they have red cards and have to be declared when selling.

Usually means many men wont buy them for killing so only buy if you are getting them for killing and near one of the factories. I've seen men stung before by not knowing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

had our selves all set for calving, 1st one due the 30th jan, moved the first of them into calving shed yesterday, with in 2 hrs one had calved.
    checked the dry cows on out farm this morning, only to find another calf running around the shed.
    both calves are by ai, bull NFT, both 10-12 days early...

every thing decided to break down this week as well, MF burst a brake pipe, had to pull back wheel off to get at it, MFT loading shovel wrung the splines on the collar to the hydralic pump, and then as i had them all out of the work shed, the dx90 feeder tractor decided the high/low/reverse gear leaver did nt want to work, had to tow it off to the mechanics, still waiting to hear whats wrong with it.

farming.....you can plan all you want ...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

never rains but it pours:o my calving shed is just across the yard from the house.. got up at 4 this morning as a heifer was calving and the cleanings where over its head, calves are too valuable to loose this year especially...

whelan1 wrote: »
    never rains but it pours:o my calving shed is just across the yard from the house.. got up at 4 this morning as a heifer was calving and the cleanings where over its head, calves are too valuable to loose this year especially...

Did you get to the calf in time Whelan1?

yup went out in my pyjamas and wellies:D

A vision I'm sure 

Hahaha, did the same myself this morning, let the cat out at 9 and next thing I hear a donkey braying....
    Out I go and hadn't the effin' cat chased the donkey across the field and backed him into a corner!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cows and heifer calves off to grass today, yippee:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hope they dont have to come back in:) looking at the forecast wet weather this week, was going to put out urea tomorrow but will leave it til the end of the week after seeing the forecast after the news

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi Karen
    By ("have to be declared when selling") does the auctioneer have to announce it or is it on the board somewhere ?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

blue5000 wrote: »

lucky devil..thats a long way off for some of us yet :(

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi Karen
    By ("have to be declared when selling") does the auctioneer have to announce it or is it on the board somewhere ?
    Thanks.

Auctioneer announces it and it's written on the sheet for future use. I.E. If a query about the animal came up or a dispute about what was declared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Where would i get a silage knife for cutting round bales? I checked the 2 local hardwares and well :eek:. many people use them now? i want to cut bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Where would i get a silage knife for cutting round bales? I checked the 2 local hardwares and well :eek:. many people use them now? i want to cut bales

I don't know if silage knifes are being made nowadays. They've been replaced with bale unrollers and bale splitters. You can still buy hay knifes like this but silage knifes that you can operate with your foot like this are a tough find.

I bought a new head for my knife which was originally bought in the 1980's in Connacht Gold about 4 years ago. You could call them and see if they have anything. Otherwise, if someone handy had a picture, it wouldn't be too hard to knock one up ;)

I know that we'd be lost without the one that we have!

Thanks Reilig,

I couldnt justify buying a bale unroller or a bale cutter at the moment. Trying to grape out even percision cut can be though when you get to the bottom of the bale on day 2.

Thanks Reilig,

I couldnt justify buying a bale unroller or a bale cutter at the moment. Trying to grape out even percision cut can be though when you get to the bottom of the bale on day 2.

I don't have to cut chopped bales (Well McHale chopped ones if that makes a difference). I just leave them on their flat and then spread them out on both sides until I get to the core. Then just take out the core with the fork and the rest is easy forked then!

i do the same, but the good wife does go down and fed sometimes and this is when it becomes a task. No blame intended, the fact she has an interest is great and i dont want to knock that.

reilig wrote: »
    I don't have to cut chopped bales (Well McHale chopped ones if that makes a difference). I just leave them on their flat and then spread them out on both sides until I get to the core. Then just take out the core with the fork and the rest is easy forked then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The more intact you can keep a bale the longer it will last without going off

Can vouch for the foot operated knife. We use one and it makes feeding the bale so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got an unsolicited compliment from the ould lad today while we were gathering, "a lot of land down there and not a bit of it wasted." I figure he's looking for something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had my first calf of the year this morning, a big yellow heifer by Limkiln Bosco (KIB) she threw her out cow took only 279 days, 277 last year , 275 year before both blues

you dairy guys and girls would love this cow, calved at 2 and has 5 heifers out of 5, Bulling 5 weeks post calving outdoors on haylage only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just got surveyed by redC polls. I'm going to be on national news:p. I never took much notice of polls because nobody i ever asked was ever surveyed. Just dont blame me if you think house prices will rise and the economy is improving and we should vote yes to lisbon3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

Thanks Reilig,

Use a two prong or three prong pike.

Bodacious wrote: »
    Had my first calf of the year this morning, a big yellow heifer by Limkiln Bosco (KIB) she threw her out cow took only 279 days, 277 last year , 275 year before both blues

you dairy guys and girls would love this cow, calved at 2 and has 5 heifers out of 5, Bulling 5 weeks post calving outdoors on haylage only

is she out of a charolais cow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »
    Bodacious wrote: »

is she out of a charolais cow?

hi limo,

no she a lim cow alot of lim in her I bought her in with a second calf at foot but she may have a bit of Ayrshire (dark brown hair on the muzzle) or shorthorn in her

I'm away with work at the min, will upload pic on other thread on Friday hopefully, just delighted she calved okay as it's a Fxxker when you are away etc, fair play to ole lads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

just in from the sheds, had our first born of the year, coming backwards but all is well. A fine ch bull calf by PIO out of a ch/simx cow:D

Finally the mornings are brightening up.
    Got away without a lamp thismorning.
    Roll on long bright days Maybe it's an age thing but I hate thee long dark winter evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Lambing in full swing since last Thursday, the first 80 lambs out on grass this morning, will have the the most of the early batch out before the calving starts end of month,

a bit disappointed with the quality and quantity of the pasture, was closed since late september and some got FYM , a lot of yellowing, but then it has been constantly lashed with for the last 8 weeks, will continue meal feeding the ewes until the lambs are eating creep fairly well

snowman707 wrote: »
    Lambing in full swing since last Thursday, the first 80 lambs out on grass this morning, will have the the most of the early batch out before the calving starts end of month,

a bit disappointed with the quality and quantity of the pasture, was closed since late september and some got FYM , a lot of yellowing, but then it has been constantly lashed with for the last 8 weeks, will continue meal feeding the ewes until the lambs are eating creep fairly well

Isn't is so ironic with the variations of grass growth and variations of weather within 100 miles in this little country. Last summer was one of the driest on record in many parts. Many people complained of droughts. In the west and north west, 2011 will be remembered for being one of the wettest and coldest summers in living memory where grass growth was stunted and cows poached ground in the middle of july.

Things are quite the opposite with us now. Most of the ground has been closed since the beginning of october when the cattle were housed. We've had temperatures of above 10 degrees since the middle of December and any field that is a bit rank has a good coating of grass on it. I have meadows that I reseeded 2 years ago and they have a lush coat of long green grass - like what you would expect to see the last week of April. If they got another 3 weeks of growth, I could cut them for silage. Alas, we have received our normal allocation of rain in the last 2 months and the ground wouldn't carry a small cow at the moment. The sheep will get at it in a few weeks time. As D'Unbelievables used to say "It would be a great little country if we could only roof it".

Second calf of the year and it's a section:mad:

Karen112 wrote: »
    Second calf of the year and it's a section:mad:
    it can only get better and everthing always works out for leg wax, thats what i always mutter to myself.let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

it can only get better and everthing always works out for leg wax, thats what i always mutter to myself.let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't mind but this is a third calver who carried a hard blue last year and calved herself....put PAM on her this year and got a bull that could nearly get up on a cow already:o

Karen112 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but this is a third calver who carried a hard blue last year and calved herself....put PAM on her this year and got a bull that could nearly get up on a cow already:o

a well at least you where there and everything is ok thats the important thing. U'll have to put a picture up off him:)

we have a cow in calf to DEZ and shes after carrying 305 so far. shes a fecking new sense

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭feckin day gone again!!

Rooney would know alot about dirty cubicles!!!

limo_100 wrote: »
    a well at least you where there and everything is ok thats the important thing. U'll have to put a picture up off him:)

The vet was sure the calf was dead until he was shaving her and we noticed the calf jumping. It was a bit of a race after that. Problem is he has fluid on the lungs and a bit of a swollen head. Hope to get a drop more beestings into him later now, he's a bit dopey, had to give it to him with a dosing gun this evening. Now I'm all out so have to strug the cow...shes not the most sociable of things either in the crush with her scar I'll bet:(

Ah well, live calf! Touch wood he turns out ok.

(No one round her in Leitrim with beestings no?) Might save me a few bruises....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

hi karen how much is a section in leitrim

• Advertisement

same 130 wrote: »

No idea yet.....it goes on the a/c. Last one we had averaged €220 or so but that was a few years ago. I'll let you know when the bill arrives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

had one 2years ago e300 on the spot this year the same vet is e330

had one 2years ago e300 on the spot this year the same vet is e330

Eek.......ours tend to be decent enough....hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

2 in the last couple of months. €250 includes a follow up visit the next day and 5 days worth of antibiotics.
    Bearable when you have a live cow and calf. Lot of work in a section.

had a surprise visit from the eastern fisheries board on tuesday:eek: was a problem with the river that goes through our farm, i havent been down that way since november. Lady was very nice we sourced the problem and she came back today and all is ok, really should have gone down that way regularly over the winter, lesson learned the hard way and all is dandy now thank god:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement