Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan1 wrote: »
    someone else was on here the other day about that, maybe give them a ring, i ordered them by phone and got them last week, think i was waiting 2 weeks...
    Yeah, thanks whelan1. Rang them last week and they said i was on the list but wouldnt give me any indication of when i would get the tags:mad:. Now i am stuck with dead calves which could be well ripe before i get the tags. So do i send them off and risk not qualifying for the first year of the scheme(and the tags arriving the day they are collected:rolleyes:) or wait a few days and the samples collected deteriorating each day:confused:.

Decisions,decisions:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

5live wrote: »
    Cow with twins calved last night. Both dead, heifer and bull off SOK:mad: and i didnt get many SOK straws.

Now i have sent off for BVD tags but they havent come yet so do i wait till they come before sending off the calves or is there some way of getting a sample and sending that off?

4 weeks waiting now:mad::mad:
    Vet usually carries around grneral ear notch tags with them. Arrange to meet vet along rd and get two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

5live wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks whelan1. Rang them last week and they said i was on the list but wouldnt give me any indication of when i would get the tags:mad:. Now i am stuck with dead calves which could be well ripe before i get the tags. So do i send them off and risk not qualifying for the first year of the scheme(and the tags arriving the day they are collected:rolleyes:) or wait a few days and the samples collected deteriorating each day:confused:.

Decisions,decisions:(

35. My order for tissue tags for the national BVD eradication programme has not been delivered but I have animals that I need to tag to comply with the programme guidelines. What are the implications of this and what should I do?
    The tag order forms indicate that farmers should allow 20 working days for delivery of tag orders. For many orders placed in December this has been further complicated by the Christmas holidays. There are several circumstances where the lack of tags may become a problem- for example stillborn calves or calves that are born live but die in the first days of life and are disposed of through appropriate channels according to normal practice. While this is likely only to affect a small number of calves in a minority of herds, it technically represents a breach of the programme guidelines which require all calves born into the herd, including those that are stillborn, to be tagged. While failure to tag and test these calves means that their BVD status, and that of their mothers remains unknown, the BVD Implementation Group (BVDIG) recognises that this is not an intentional breach of the guidelines and will not seek to disqualify such herds, for this reason, from having their test results from the voluntary year of the programme count as one of the three anticipated years of tag testing. The option exists to at least partially reduce the loss of information arising from the failure to tag these calves by testing the dam. This may be done with a blood sample taken by your vet or using a tissue tag labelled with the official identity number of the cow, which may be applied by yourself. Alternatively, a bulk milk tank RT-PCR test could be used, provided the dam in question was contributing to the tank. The BVDIG will continue to monitor the situation in relation to delivery of tags and will keep this advice under review.
    or
    contact your test company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

what if you took one of there ears off and tagged the other one ans sent them off...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see mickey mouse has a fiat 110 90 for sale on donedeal:p

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2954510

only 5k

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

funny man wrote: »
    35. My order for tissue tags for the national BVD eradication programme has not been delivered but I have animals that I need to tag to comply with the programme guidelines. What are the implications of this and what should I do?
    The tag order forms indicate that farmers should allow 20 working days for delivery of tag orders. For many orders placed in December this has been further complicated by the Christmas holidays. There are several circumstances where the lack of tags may become a problem- for example stillborn calves or calves that are born live but die in the first days of life and are disposed of through appropriate channels according to normal practice. While this is likely only to affect a small number of calves in a minority of herds, it technically represents a breach of the programme guidelines which require all calves born into the herd, including those that are stillborn, to be tagged. While failure to tag and test these calves means that their BVD status, and that of their mothers remains unknown, the BVD Implementation Group (BVDIG) recognises that this is not an intentional breach of the guidelines and will not seek to disqualify such herds, for this reason, from having their test results from the voluntary year of the programme count as one of the three anticipated years of tag testing. The option exists to at least partially reduce the loss of information arising from the failure to tag these calves by testing the dam. This may be done with a blood sample taken by your vet or using a tissue tag labelled with the official identity number of the cow, which may be applied by yourself. Alternatively, a bulk milk tank RT-PCR test could be used, provided the dam in question was contributing to the tank. The BVDIG will continue to monitor the situation in relation to delivery of tags and will keep this advice under review.
    or
    contact your test company.
    Thanks for that funny man. Trying to ring mullinahone. On hold for 34 minutes so far:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Starting to get a bit annoyed now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

normally they get you to leave a message and ring you back in the evening time, have to agree its most annoying " all our operators are busy at present" how many operators do they have? obviously not enough

Finally got through. Problems with phone lines. I was directed to AHI and was told to send the calves off and do a BVD blood test on the mother and sign some form to give AHI access to the results and i will still quailfy under the scheme. Phew:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

freezing hard out there now, just drained all the excess water out of the milking machine:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

whelan1 wrote: »
    freezing hard out there now, just drained all the excess water out of the milking machine:o

didnt rise much above it all day,was sheeting a shed all day nothing worse that lying on cold steel was froze:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Flooded my living room earlier today trying to fix the heating:mad: While the plumber was here all rads were working fine, bled them and all, now none work:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Plus have a huge dehumidifier in my living room that is a pain in the ho....electricity bill.

And now have 'Run, rabbit, run' stuck in my head:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

good news. the old man got out for a few days. back in on monday but great to have him home.Picked up another two replacements last night of a lad in roscommon. absolute gent to deal with and if i had the money or land i would have been coming home with a truck load. dads mad now to get out and see them so will have to try and keep him lying up for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Karen112 wrote: »

Always happy to help!

Hope ya get the living room sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Karen112 wrote: »
    Flooded my living room earlier today trying to fix the heating:mad: While the plumber was here all rads were working fine, bled them and all, now none work:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Plus have a huge dehumidifier in my living room that is a pain in the ho....electricity bill.

Us poor plumbers dont have it easy, I fixed our heating at home then a couple more things went wrong with it and evetytime I fixed sonethin, another problem popped up. it bloody broke my heart trying to fix it. Eventually have it now think/hope >:(

weefarmer wrote: »
    Us poor plumbers dont have it easy, I fixed our heating at home then a couple more things went wrong with it and evetytime I fixed sonethin, another problem popped up. it bloody broke my heart trying to fix it. Eventually have it now think/hope >:(

I doubt it's the plumbers fault, stupid old boiler acting up I reckon. Been here too many years. My poor landlord has been plagued by me the last two days. He was even mopping the floor today with me while he was supposed to be milking:o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

1chippy......Good to hear your Dad on mend...lucky man!

Problem re scratching cattle in shed....they were done with Closamectin Pour-on approx 3 weeks ago and were fine until last few days when they have started scratching again (and have me scratching my head!) Anybody have experience with this product...I used it last year and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Anyone know anything about Hereford Sire Trillick best. have a heifer in calf to a straw of his and know nothing about him.

Any info welcomed.

I still reckon tixol was a great job. pity its banned. Had the same problem using closamectin, some people were saying to shave a bit of a strip down their backs. maybe some of the stuff got wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Hereford Sire Trillick best. have a heifer in calf to a straw of his and know nothing about him.

Any info welcomed.

http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=tib&submit=Search

as herefords go he isnt the easiest calved so keep an eye on her but if she is a good strong heifer you should be ok

He's throwing good stock though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=tib&submit=Search

as herefords go he isnt the easiest calved so keep an eye on her but if she is a good strong heifer you should be ok

He's throwing good stock though

Thanks Bogman, that's good to hear. I'll keep the fingers crossed anyway.

Came home a bit early today and saw dads car by the bottom yard. got out to see him comming out feeling very happy with hi,self. he told me that my Pedigree parthenaise cow had been on and he managed to track down The AI man on his day off to get her served. I asked him what bull he used "ok the straws that you got for her, TFX"

"Eh TFX is an angus dad it should have been TBX."

His face just dropped. Its hard to be mad at him though. oh well she might repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Came home a bit early today and saw dads car by the bottom yard. got out to see him comming out feeling very happy with hi,self. he told me that my Pedigree parthenaise cow had been on and he managed to track down The AI man on his day off to get her served. I asked him what bull he used "ok the straws that you got for her, TFX"

"Eh TFX is an angus dad it should have been TBX."

His face just dropped. Its hard to be mad at him though. oh well she might repeat

And did the AI man not think twice about it???

just do it wrote: »

not a bit. that was the call that came into him so it wasnt his problem. Its dairy country up here so he wouldnt have a huge knowlage of minor beef breeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

not a bit. that was the call that came into him so it wasnt his problem. Its dairy country up here so he wouldnt have a huge knowlage of minor beef breeds

Hi Bogman,

you just know she'll keep first straw first time too!!

I heard of an AI man covering a Sunday for another Ai man, same deal call came in " she'll be in the crush work away yer self!" he went into wrong yard next door and it just happened that the guy also had a pedigree ch show heifer in pen she was isolated so as not to kill herself/lose weight bulling.. Fired an AA into her and away with him... Only when commercial heifer came bulling on 3 weeks and tag no.s didn't match did the penny drop... Nice conversation trying to explain that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Estrumate! Check with your vet. I think you need to leave her 10 days before you can give it to her.

its getting a bit late in the season for that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

its one of those things, id be inclined to leave her be, if she keeps she keeps, might be a lucky animal, if she doesnt sure you will have another go

had a trailer stolen 2 years back. found it for sale on donedeal. being recovered tomorrow with a warrant, had my own tactics knocked back by the cops but hopefully all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

And if you were to administer Estrumate you wouldn't know when she'd come bulling again.
    Leave her on and let her be lucky!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fair play to you chippy for spotting it, heard of two heifers stolen near here during the week.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

i bought two replacements last week. but i got the cards so couldnt be them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

one of the PB LM had a still born heifer calf to day ,:( both legs back, vet had a terrible job getting up the second leg

told me they were never as busy with calvings so early in Feb and even though they had 3 vets on call to day (Sunday) calls were still been backed up

seems a lot of heifers bulled last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone interested in this :D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2977444

In case it's gone the title is:

Woman available for sexual favours

nice ass, big tits

€20

Phone Lisa 087 9013xxx

Seems value:D:D

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone interested in this :D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2977444

In case it's gone the title is:

Woman available for sexual favours

nice ass, big tits

€20

Phone Lisa 087 9013xxx

Seems value:D:D

Wonder if she would feed two calves and have a jug left for the house?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

tb test today:(.

leg wax wrote: »
    tb test today:(.

good luck with it, had mine a few weeks back, dont do what i did going around checking for lumps evry day, you will only stress yourself out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1chippy wrote: »
    had a trailer stolen 2 years back. found it for sale on donedeal. being recovered tomorrow with a warrant, had my own tactics knocked back by the cops but hopefully all goes well.
    :D Great Stuff. That's made my day !!! Where was it for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

hi Chippy,

how did it go? Did you get it? Was it your one for sure? Gardai warrants take time to organise they can shift it while you waiting for the warrant

Issue with trailer. my body on a different chasis but cops chasing it up. not gonna hold my breath.
    on a lighter note got the old man out for a waddle round the yard. delighted with the heifers i got so im givin myself a big pat on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Issue with trailer. my body on a different chasis but cops chasing it up. not gonna hold my breath.
    on a lighter note got the old man out for a waddle round the yard. delighted with the heifers i got so im givin myself a big pat on the back.

Was watching a programme there a few weeks back on one of the 'foreign' channels. Coppers in UK chasing up on stolen trailers and caravans. Unfortunately despite their best efforts only 5% of all stolen trailers are recovered :o

Showed a great reconstruction of how a lad who had his caravan just 'knicked' had a friend who was into mini gliders. He was out for a spin on it (glider) when he spotted the crime being carried out! He was able to phone his friend the owner and followed the fu*ker until the cops pinned him down pulled into a layby!

Showed the other side then when they are sold on. UK Coppers are big into going around boot sales and caravan parks. If it's stolen, it's hooked ked up and just towed away. The majority are stolen on continent and flogged on to unsuspecting customers in the UK for cash.

just read that agri merchant in derrylin that alot of chaps were buying farm stuff off got a heafty enough sentence for some issue with animal medicines
    http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-dhssps-081111-fermanagh-man-imprisoned?WT.mc_id=rss-news

sold my br/fr bull the other day, got more than i paid for him, now looking for another br/fr bull with good protein figures, up the northern half of the country... the last bull was a tih son so will have to move from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reading of the herd test today , no lumps thank god :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Put cows out tonight been out during the day for the last few days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just read that agri merchant in derrylin that alot of chaps were buying farm stuff off got a heafty enough sentence for some issue with animal medicines
    http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-dhssps-081111-fermanagh-man-imprisoned?WT.mc_id=rss-news

Shameful. He should not be allowed to trade any over the counter animal medicine products ever again. Its prats like this that destroy an industry so many of us have spent thousands of hours trying to build up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

From another thread about cattle trailers a while back;
    Becareful who you deal with sometimes. Obviously this may not have any bearing on the quality of trailers but all the same...!
    http://www.impartialreporter.com/new...another-person

Sold my wee dwarf calf today. 200kg and €500. Other years she wouldn't make €300:o

Does anyone know what the (IG) stands for before the names of bulls in the munster AI link below:confused:
    http://www.munsterai.ie/sires.php?action=list
    Is it just another way of saying embryo transfer?

i always thought it was irish grass :confused: or something similar et is embryo transfer, stan flt or bogman bass might know, thought it was that they are based on an irish farm or something, thats not much use to you:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement