Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

How far gone will the cows be when you induce them? Its a disgusting thing to have to do, do the cows give their full milk potential after, is there any effect on subsequent fertility?

Induction normally happens about six weeks before they are due to calve I think. If it is done there is no effect on milk supply and it causes no problems when trying to get the cow in calf again. It is been slowly phased out I think this year your only meant to do 8% but as with most things in life I think there are ways round this.

All fairly quiet here at the moment, have had seven cows calve now and now have one heifer calf. Got my first rugby match for a local team tomorrow so that should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how much liquid parafin or similar would you give a 50kg calf with a bit of collic ? i gave him 60cc was this enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    how much liquid parafin or similar would you give a 50kg calf with a bit of collic ? i gave him 60cc was this enough

The full of the dosing syringe, which is 60 or 70 ml. I can't for the life of me remember if we gave anything else the following day. I can't even remember did it even work.
    It's been a long time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

there was meeting in clon last nite about the future of dairying.turns out it was a bank of ireland do and boy were they chatting up farmers must have been 30 or 40 of them trying get off with us.wondering were we planning expansion, what bussiness bank do we use etc.i just wonder given their record is it a vote of confidence or should i be getting worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

keep going wrote: »
    boy were they chatting up farmers must have been 30 or 40 of them trying get off with us.

Sounds more like a Thai bride convention. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

there was meeting in clon last nite about the future of dairying.turns out it was a bank of ireland do and boy were they chatting up farmers must have been 30 or 40 of them trying get off with us.wondering were we planning expansion, what bussiness bank do we use etc.i just wonder given their record is it a vote of confidence or should i be getting worried.
    If banks are giving away money its time to run for the hills and dont look back. Just look at morgages(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

or maybe they are try to get some of it back.they were on about a "bisiness card" akind of a laser card for farmers instead of checks any one have one

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

or maybe they are try to get some of it back.they were on about a "bisiness card" akind of a laser card for farmers instead of checks any one have one

That Business card is a Credit card, I got one myself there in january just for buying something online or god forbid maybe get a chance to go to the cinema or something like that. The money comes out of your account at the end of each month and they will try hard to give you as mach credit on it as possible :eek:, Ill be getting rid of mine again, seems to be alot of charges with it. Dont ever give up on the cheques, you wont write a cheque if you dont have the money;)

alderdeer wrote: »
    That Business card is a Credit card, I got one myself there in january just for buying something online or god forbid maybe get a chance to go to the cinema or something like that. The money comes out of your account at the end of each month and they will try hard to give you as mach credit on it as possible :eek:, Ill be getting rid of mine again, seems to be alot of charges with it. Dont ever give up on the cheques, you wont write a cheque if you dont have the money;)
    yes but if you write a cheque today the person you are giving it to mightn't cash it for months when you dont have the money . my cousin wrote a cheque for 15k before christmas and it still hadnt been cashed by the start of march:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Yeah that's the killer with checques, you've no control over the transfer.

EFT is the future, but I think banks need to up their physical security for it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd an old ewe that went on her back a few weeks ago. Crows had a go at her, damaged an eye, poked a hole in her cheek, opened the underside of her tail. Took a bit of nursing in the shed, meds, painkillers, etc. to get her back to herself.

Brought in the sheep from the hill then and there was a weak one. So I put them together in the same small "hospital" field. Old ewe started bullying the young one at grub time :rolleyes: Chasing her around the field. Started feeding them separately, old sheep in the pen, young sheep in the field. Sorted :)

That was a few weeks ago now. Young sheep had twins a couple of days ago, so I let her up with a few others in the good grass. Que old ewe standing forlornly at the gate looking up at them in the good grass.

Foolishly I took pity on her and let her up with them for the company. Worked fine, everyone got along, will help her with milk etc.

This morning disaster struck. There she was panned out on her belly frothing with hypocalcaemia. Only had a 5cc syringe, so a thousand injections later and some massaging and she's able to hold her head up. I put her in s safe spot and fed the sheep.

Back to her again, shivering like hell. Off down to the shed in the Connemara quad (wheelbarrow :D ). Back to square bloody one, no good deed goes unpunished :pac:

there's always one out to annoy you:D Got a text today to say jedward where in the local church , so i assumed april fools , imagine my surprise to see john doing cartwheels down the aisle , the principal of the school had orgainised it ,kids had a great time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Got up this morn as usual to do a good days work on the farm on 1 of my very rare days of work. looked out in the field to find my charolais bull with his head caught in the ring feeder. 45 mins l8r eventually got the bar cut and was able to release his head after doing 100 laps round the paddock after the bull with the feeder round him. thankfully i was lucky he didnt break his neck. Last time i ever leave a ring feeder in the field with the bull

had a bb weanling before stuck in a round feeder at the hips cut the bars with a hacksaw for her to go forward and get stuck at the hips in the other side of the round feeder:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭stanflt

had a bb weanling before stuck in a round feeder at the hips cut the bars with a hacksaw for her to go forward and get stuck at the hips in the other side of the round feeder:(

we used to have diagonal bar feeding rails-bull got caught-dad tried to cut bar with hacksaw but got tumb caught between bulls head and bar. lost tip of tumb. my mother fainted when dad came in-blood everywhere-nail didnt regrow

• Advertisement

when i was in warrenstown we where ringing a bull , the tutor went to take halter off bull , bull threw his head up in the air and took the top off tutors finger between the halter and the bulls head , nasty stuff.. i am so careful now taking halter off bulls:rolleyes: the thought of ever again running with the top of someone else finger top in my hand is not pleasant

when i was in warrenstown we where ringing a bull , the tutor went to take halter off bull , bull threw his head up in the air and took the top off tutors finger between the halter and the bulls head , nasty stuff.. i am so careful now taking halter off bulls:rolleyes: the thought of ever again running with the top of someone else finger top in my hand is not pleasant

was micky the **** not there to help!

he used to scare the daylights out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Saw a strong weanling in late summer get his head completely stuck in a big old kettle and was awful job to get him out of it as he charging everywhere and couldnt see:mad: He went to drink water out of it and in the process tilted it towards himself and handle went behind the ears then threw the head up and it was on him good!!

he used to scare the daylights out of me

what year were you there

• Advertisement

FARMERS_KICK-DETAIL.gif

stanflt wrote: »
    what year were you there
    1991/1992 showing my age now

Bodacious wrote: »
    Saw a strong weanling in late summer get his head completely stuck in a big old kettle and was awful job to get him out of it as he charging everywhere and couldnt see:mad: He went to drink water out of it and in the process tilted it towards himself and handle went behind the ears then threw the head up and it was on him good!!
    we had a bit of a wavin downpipe stuck on a weanlings leg , that was a total pain to get off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

So yesterday I was vaccinating the calves for blackleg and one of them moved and I stabbed myself on the joint of the thumb. Now it's swollen and a bit of a funny colour. Taste of my own medicine, I guess. On the plus side, at least I'm immune to blackleg now...

have you had a tetanus , saw a guy in casualty the last day i was there who had stabbed his finger with a needle and never did anything about it , he lost the top of his finger with gangrene :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

theroad wrote: »
    So yesterday I was vaccinating the calves for blackleg and one of them moved and I stabbed myself on the joint of the thumb. Now it's swollen and a bit of a funny colour. Taste of my own medicine, I guess. On the plus side, at least I'm immune to blackleg now...

the auld lad did the brother years ago for backleg..by accident of course :D
    never did him any harm

Reckon I've enough Covexin 8 and Heptevac P in me over the years to cover a lot of ailments :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Neighbour lost his arm from the elbow down a few years ago. He was out fencing and got a thorn in his lower arm. Later that day he went to inject an animal with penicillen and a small bit dropped on his arm. He didn't know he was allergic to it. Within a couple of days, his arm had swelled up to 3 times its size. He spent 6 months in hospital with it and several times they thought he was going to lose the whole arm.

A big strong man with a model farm. Now any farm work that he does has to be with adapted equipment.

You can never be careful enough. The simplest things can change your life forever!!

1991/1992 showing my age now

my brother might have been in that year-or the year before that

a model messer but still got student of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

have you had a tetanus , saw a guy in casualty the last day i was there who had stabbed his finger with a needle and never did anything about it , he lost the top of his finger with gangrene :eek:
    Yup. Tetanus is grim. The thumb's ok, though :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

reilig wrote: »
    Neighbour lost his arm from the elbow down a few years ago. He was out fencing and got a thorn in his lower arm. Later that day he went to inject an animal with penicillen and a small bit dropped on his arm. He didn't know he was allergic to it. Within a couple of days, his arm had swelled up to 3 times its size. He spent 6 months in hospital with it and several times they thought he was going to lose the whole arm.

A big strong man with a model farm. Now any farm work that he does has to be with adapted equipment.

You can never be careful enough. The simplest things can change your life forever!!
    a man i worked with gos shooting and one day out shooting he got a white thorn in his hand and passed no remarks then 2 weeks later one evening after tea he put his hand down on the table and got a awful pain up his arm . whitethorn thorns are full of poison in august.he ended up with a 20mm hole in his hand.the doctors had to make the hole to get thorn and poison out.then the hole in the hand had to be packed. the hand was never the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When I was 12 or 13, I got a prod of whitethorn, the nail on my little finger started to fall out after a period of time. I was taken to the doctors who said I had blood poisoning and he gave me tablets. The nail grew back as normal.

had a suckler cow down today , they are on silage and can go out in to a field also... no trmbling etc . we gave her magnessium and calcium ... she still wouldn't get up... she is calved since january.. got vet .. she said it is milk fever, seems strange that she is calved 2 months

cow was dead this morning , now when vet came out my da was with her . Temp was up at 40 , i always thought that temperature goes down if they have milk fever:confused: cow got 4 bottles of calmag and 1 bottle of magnessium , so was well covered there. A raised temp in my opinion is the sign of an infection... just a bit peeved off as cow was a pb angus

cow was dead this morning , now when vet came out my da was with her . Temp was up at 40 , i always thought that temperature goes down if they have milk fever:confused: cow got 4 bottles of calmag and 1 bottle of magnessium , so was well covered there. A raised temp in my opinion is the sign of an infection... just a bit peeved off as cow was a pb angus

bummer, its something different every day unfortunately, had a grand bull calf that i noticed hoping around last week out of the blue, vet reckoned his hip is cracked, cow must have hurt him or something like that, its hard to see him coming right ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

We're selling silage off the ground, we live 60 miles from the farm!

we were down at the weekend and realised the fertiliser we'd got two weeks ago was sitting nice and neatly on the pallets. feckin contractor forgot about us or something!

we wont be down again for a few weeks, imagine if we'd not been down this weekend!

just wondering with the lack of rain would fertiliser be being utilised ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

JohnBoy wrote: »
    We're selling silage off the ground, we live 60 miles from the farm!

we were down at the weekend and realised the fertiliser we'd got two weeks ago was sitting nice and neatly on the pallets. feckin contractor forgot about us or something!

we wont be down again for a few weeks, imagine if we'd not been down this weekend!

how much do you hope to get for crop of silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sorry to hear that just up from paddocks and found a dead calf, i have change that i had 4 calves really struggling after the ibr and all that goes with it, cow is in calf again but have to wait til sept shes not a great breeder oh what to do:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Any chance she had mastitis?

Finno59 wrote: »
    Any chance she had mastitis?
    no , checked her out...:mad:

A farmer named Sid was overseeing his stock in a remote moorland pasture in North Yorkshire when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the farmer, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?"

Sid looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing stock and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASApage on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany .

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer, turns to the farmer and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Sid.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the back of his car.

Then Sid says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Member of Parliament for our Government", says Sid.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the farmer. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of pounds worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a flock of sheep. ...

Now give me back my dog!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice one Johngalway, heard something similiar before, but the young man was a consultant!:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

just wondering with the lack of rain would fertiliser be being utilised ?

Lack of Rain ??!!!!!

We must of had in excess of an inch of rain in the past couple of days

Looks like temps will be increasing to high teens from the middle of the week, should give the grass a good spurt of growth

No shortage of rain here. Pelting down at the moment, just as well or I'd be out lamping, got an early start tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

sorry to hear about the cow big loss. what was her breeding and how old was she.do yous have any big bang bloodline in the cows.

sorry to hear about the cow big loss. what was her breeding and how old was she.do yous have any big bang bloodline in the cows.
    is that sunet acres bang ,we used alot of him, all our cows have a lot of canadian breeding , we had 2 bulls in ai , priestown jupiter and priestown tornado... great bulls...tbh we havent really been working as hard with them as we should have been over the last few years as with the kids i wouldnt have the time to keep everything right , we have a atock bull with them but i hope to get back to ai'ing them again next year. M ust take some pics and post them on here some day , they are massive cows

anyone see that show on beeb last night about lambing, just caught a bit of it, your man who's farm was being featured had 2 serious looking lim bulls that he brought to sale in carlisle, one made over 6500 sterling :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

anyone see that show on beeb last night about lambing, just caught a bit of it, your man who's farm was being featured had 2 serious looking lim bulls that he brought to sale in carlisle, one made over 6500 sterling :eek:

What I couldn't get over was how they fast they could run when they got asway from them:eek: And the fact that they got away even though he had em on the nose ring. Scary. And they were show cattle.

Fine animals alright. It's gas how the bull that came first in his class made the smaller money at just over £2sterling :rolleyes:

Muckit wrote: »
    What I couldn't get over was how they fast they could run when they got asway from them:eek: And the fact that they got away even though he had em on the nose ring. Scary. And they were show cattle.

Fine animals alright. It's gas how the bull that came first in his class made the smaller money at just over £2sterling :rolleyes:

yep but thought it was crazy they way they were trying to load them anyway, big open yard up a high ramp of a truck with camera crew and gos knows what else around..the auld lad was lucky they didnt crease him and the quad trailer :D
    jesus when they took off they were really moving..what age would you say they were, they must have been pushing 2 ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement