Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan1 wrote: »
    i always thought it was irish grass :confused: or something similar et is embryo transfer, stan flt or bogman bass might know, thought it was that they are based on an irish farm or something, thats not much use to you:D
    That could be right, fits anyway;). The young lad was looking at it last night and asked me what the IG was and i realised it was there for a few years and never registered in my brain(whats left of it anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Irish Genomic.

Basically the bull has a genomic proof but no daughters milking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

5live wrote: »
    The young lad was looking at it last night and asked me what the IG was and i realised it was there for a few years and never registered in my brain(whats left of it anyway)

Fecken' kids, they just shouldn't be allowed ask questions!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Integrated genomics i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

passed tb test got paid for cattle on second bottle of wine:p,christ keep it quiet this farming crack is easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

leg wax wrote: »
    passed tb test got paid for cattle on second bottle of wine:p,christ keep it quiet this farming crack is easy.

enjoy-its great when its going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just do it wrote: »
    too true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

But it makes life so much more fun for the ones watching the answerer struggle:D In other news, I've to get a tooth pulled next week.....waaaaaaah.

My daughter is making her confession in a few weeks, today they where asked to write down a lie they had told. Her friend wrote " i said my teacher was pretty" she isn't.... she got detention:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

My daughter is making her confession in a few weeks, today they where asked to write down a lie they had told. Her friend wrote " i said my teacher was pretty" she isn't.... she got detention:eek:

:D:D:D. The teacher walked herself into that one! Detention of a 7yo for that is a bit harsh:eek:

:D:D:D. The teacher walked herself into that one! Detention of a 7yo for that is a bit harsh:eek:
    she was kept in at lunch break.... ffs the child was speaking her mind, and it was true:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

she was kept in at lunch break.... ffs the child was speaking her mind, and it was true:D
    It's like the joke about Little Jimmy getting into trouble for something he didn't do ................He didn't do his homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

Karen112 wrote: »
    Sold my wee dwarf calf today. 200kg and €500. Other years she wouldn't make €300:o
    sold a belguim x limosim calf 6months old 220kg e830.

same 130 wrote: »
    sold a belguim x limosim calf 6months old 220kg e830.

Well done! Mine was a dwarf and wrong outright. If only she was a good one......the dam is now springing to a BA. Hope to feck all goes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I suppose the child learned a good lesson. There are some lies that once told can never be gone back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

circa 11 or 12 years ago I nearly got divorced when i spent the creamery check on a pellistown heifer,

she's now 14 years old and this morning gave birth to twin bulls, her third set of twins and 16 calves to her credit

snowman707 wrote: »
    circa 11 or 12 years ago I nearly got divorced when i spent the creamery check on a pellistown heifer,

she's now 14 years old and this morning gave birth to twin bulls, her third set of twins and 16 calves to her credit
    i worked for pelletstown for a few months, years sgo, quality stock, glad she was luck for ya... also got a kick on the kneecap from a limousin weanling that we where halter training , really painful

How many of you send the milk from the 3 uninfected quarters after putting up a tube in the infected quarter when a cow gets mastitus

Finno59 wrote: »
    How many of you send the milk from the 3 uninfected quarters after putting up a tube in the infected quarter when a cow gets mastitus
    not me. not worth the penalty if found to be positive

went out this evening to find a fresh calved heifer dead:mad: vet had calved her 2 weeks ago, she had haemoraghed (sp) blood everywhere, really red with clots in it, was grand at milking this morning...

• Advertisement

but would the milk in the other 3 quarters have any of the anti biotics from the tube anyone know?

thats a tricky one, the monks - mellifont abbey- down the road send the milk from the 3 quarters but i always says, they have gods blessing:)

sorry to hear about your heifer, had she cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Went out with 1/2 bag of urea to the arce today am I a gambler or what hope to get the finishers out last weekend in February.

sorry to hear about your heifer, had she cleaned?
    yes , she cleaned the day she calved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

People here we're talking about soil thermometers a week or 2 ago. FYI aldi have soil thermometers on sale this week. I'm on my phone so someone else can post a link to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Went out with 1/2 bag of urea to the arce today am I a gambler or what hope to get the finishers out last weekend in February.
    not a gambler. soil is warm enough and urea can work its way into the plant over a few days and be available for growth more readily than CAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

reilig wrote: »
    People here we're talking about soil thermometers a week or 2 ago. FYI aldi have soil thermometers on sale this week. I'm on my phone so someone else can post a link to it :)

Here we go:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20530.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

reilig wrote: »

keep an eye out in some of the farming magazines.
    i got one last year free from pioneer, some coupon in the back.
    it measures soil temp, soil moisture, and ph, and its fairly sturdy to be able to push into the ground.

what it the correct depth in the ground to get true/ accurate reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rovi wrote: »

Moisture tester eh :D Don't think I need one of them.

• Advertisement

PMU wrote: »
    not a gambler. soil is warm enough and urea can work its way into the plant over a few days and be available for growth more readily than CAN.

well i think its the other way round, Urea goes in as one form, urea 46% N, this must be converted by the bacteria to ammonia NH3 and then nitrite NO2- and then to nitrate NO3- before it can be absorbed by the plants, CAN 27% N Calcium ammonium nitrate goes in as nitrate and ammonium so the nitrate is available immediately to the plant. Once the ammonium is converted to nitrite and then nitrate it can also be absorbed so you dont have to put out more of it for a while. Calcium helps the soil stay neutral but the urea turns its acidic. So CAN gives you a faster response and longer lasting response than urea.

Because it's Sunday and my head hurts. Now yours can too!:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

well i think its the other way round, Urea goes in as one form, urea 46% N, this must be converted by the bacteria to ammonia NH3 and then nitrite NO2- and then to nitrate NO3- before it can be absorbed by the plants, CAN 27% N Calcium ammonium nitrate goes in as nitrate and ammonium so the nitrate is available immediately to the plant. Once the ammonium is converted to nitrite and then nitrate it can also be absorbed so you dont have to put out more of it for a while. Calcium helps the soil stay neutral but the urea turns its acidic. So CAN gives you a faster response and longer lasting response than urea.

yip your right but you can get urea on now as you have a time lag before its really put to work. You cant play catch up with Urea, just keep it on all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Took a walk around the parts of the farm I've saved for freshly lambed ewes, it's growing surprisingly well for this day of the year. Just under 8 weeks now until they start dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

On those moisture meters from aldi, would they be any use for reading the moisture content of a round bale?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Hi Reilig
    what trade were the limos Im on the lookout for one but missed yesterdays in Carrick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

anyone heard what money dairy cows are making at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi Reilig
    what trade were the limos Im on the lookout for one but missed yesterdays in Carrick...

I honestly haven't a clue Wesley. I was away for the weekend and missed the sale. However, have a look at www.irishlimousin.com for some idea of what the better bulls are making.

Ah right I didnt hear from it. was supposed to go up but got caught up n Dowra.
    I had a super Rocky sired bull but he got cross so I had to let him go. Using AI since but the usual story..you need the bull for the stragglers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I have heard of it being done but no no no way would i chance it. It depends on the tube you use, some stay better in the quarter than others. But just because it doesnt show up in the bulk sample doesnt mean it should be done.
    There are withdrawl periods for intermammeries for a reason. A contamination scare with antibiotics is the last thing we need

disgusted with ear to the ground this week, piece on the philiipines woman and the guy from tipp was hard to watch. Was waiting for darragh to do a bit on the machinery show where he was but he never did :confused:

disgusted with ear to the ground this week, piece on the philiipines woman and the guy from tipp was hard to watch. Was waiting for darragh to do a bit on the machinery show where he was but he never did :confused:

They're supposed to make mighty haybobs out there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was reading (and enjoying!) the thread on the history of silage making and I got thinking about a funny(ish) story from when I was younger. I can't recall the exact year, though some time in the 80's I think, when I first read about the "new" round baler that had arrived on the scene. I told my Grandfather about it and that soon there would be round bales of hay! He looked at me for a while and suggested that I was mistaken................How could it possibly work!!!!!!!!.............He said to me if it was a triangle bale it might work but never a round one.

I often imagine a field of triangular bales now on the head of it:D

Have a couple of cows that are a bit off colour after calving, .. for one reason or another, and one for no reason at all.

a neighbour recommended YMCP from Nutribio and is dropping in with some later

any dairy farmers used it and any comments?

have ordered this 3 weeks in a row off our cahl salesman and it hasnt come, supposed to be the same as 6 bottles of calcium:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

snowman707 wrote: »
    Have a couple of cows that are a bit off colour after calving, .. for one reason or another, and one for no reason at all.

a neighbour recommended YMCP from Nutribio and is dropping in with some later

any dairy farmers used it and any comments?

what sort of energy were you getting into the girls during pre-season as I call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

see in the indo yesterday that milk price may come under pressure because of increased prodution in 2 other countries,they were saying 1 cent of a drop,2015-16 will be interesting when europe turns on the tap.

have ordered this 3 weeks in a row off our cahl salesman and it hasnt come, supposed to be the same as 6 bottles of calcium:eek:

also contians potassium and niacin

what sort of energy were you getting into the girls during pre-season as I call it

energy levels aren't the issue

rolled 1 cow with DA and sm tubed her to day hopefully coffee and stimulex with sort her from here on.

leg wax wrote: »
    see in the indo yesterday that milk price may come under pressure because of increased prodution in 2 other countries,they were saying 1 cent of a drop,2015-16 will be interesting when europe turns on the tap.

milk and lamb are supposed to come under a bit of pressure this year,

beef looking good for now

blooming suckler farmers are cleaning up :rolleyes:.. spent nearly an hour with one yesterday hangling over the last €50 on a bull i was selling

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Our Ella is looking well on.the lotto tonight again :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement