Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

best of luck to the stan's

were you up for the milking this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

was delayed with a lambing this morn and when i went to do the milking found there was no water supply

sent oh to call youngest son who had been at a 21st party last night

sometime later a very pale 19 year old was observed with tool kit heading slowly in the direction of the pump house

about an hour later heard the welcome sound of the reserve tank over the dairy filling up

rang him to know that had been the problem and he said .... some water rust blocking the valve of the cut out switch , what ever fecking eejit put it on last time used too much pts tape and rust formed on the excess tape blocking the inlet valve on the back pressure

ummm "didnt you service that pump before you went back to college"

if he lives to 100 that's one mistake he won't make again :D:D

What date was this thread made a sticky?

doh, double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

reilig wrote: »
    Export buyers were back with a bang for the Belgian Blues this evening in Mohill. Any BB bull 350kg had no problem making between Eur1200 and Eur1400. :D

:eek: thats some money,seen one sold the other day 5/11,470kgs€1270 and that was crazy,a good 350kg one would scarcly make €1000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

snowman707 wrote: »
    was delayed with a lambing this morn and when i went to do the milking found there was no water supply

sent oh to call youngest son who had been at a 21st party last night

sometime later a very pale 19 year old was observed with tool kit heading slowly in the direction of the pump house

about an hour later heard the welcome sound of the reserve tank over the dairy filling up

rang him to know that had been the problem and he said .... some water rust blocking the valve of the cut out switch , what ever fecking eejit put it on last time used too much pts tape and rust formed on the excess tape blocking the inlet valve on the back pressure

ummm "didnt you service that pump before you went back to college"

if he lives to 100 that's one mistake he won't make again :D:D
    Best lesson learned is the hardest earned.

I thought you were taking things easy, snowman, doing a bit of forestry and leaving the milking for the young lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Iv got an interview with munster cattle breeding group Thursday, only time I did an interview before was to get into mountbellew and that was kind of a formality!! Bit nervous now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Iv got an interview with munster cattle breeding group Thursday, only time I did an interview before was to get into mountbellew and that was kind of a formality!! Bit nervous now.

good luck with it, no bother to you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

5live wrote: »

I thought you were taking things easy, snowman, doing a bit of forestry and leaving the milking for the young lads?

yep only working 90 hour week now:D

the eldest fellow most likely will take over the home farm and the dairy herd, he needs a bit of time to find his feet and would like to travel a bit first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Best of luck with that,,.. sounds like a dream job and would be well suited to you Red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Best of luck ;) Just being nosy so don't feel obliged to answer......Are you hoping to get a technican job? Or higher up the ladder? :rolleyes: :D Curiosity killed the cat !

Muckit wrote: »

Best of luck ;) Just being nosy so don't feel obliged to answer......Are you hoping to get a technican job? Or higher up the ladder? :rolleyes: :D Curiosity killed the cat !
    Milk recording technician muckit. Bottom of the ladder for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Milk recording technician muckit. Bottom of the ladder for me!!

Best of luck tomorrow.

snowman707 wrote: »
    yep only working 90 hour week now:D

the eldest fellow most likely will take over the home farm and the dairy herd, he needs a bit of time to find his feet and would like to travel a bit first
    Ha. Part time farmer;)

So it will be a while before we see snowman708 so:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Best of luck, your interest will be obvious to the interviewer so I reckon you are a shoe-in!

just do it wrote: »
    Best of luck, your interest will be obvious to the interviewer so I reckon you are a shoe-in!

I know him from when I done the diy ai course anyway so should be a big help, I often met him in the mart and spent a quarter of an hour talking to him :). Fingers, legs, toes and arms are crossed all the same hoping for the best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Redz,
    Best of luck with the interview. The AI course should stand to you aswell. I know Munster AI were bringing in AI technicians from New Zealand during the busy season, so I know they'll be glad to have someone on their books that could help out too with AI , if it came to it.

Sent a 15 year old MAU cow to the mart today. 605 kgs 930 euro:). I'll miss her though but she well paid for herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Pedigree cow that was accidently served with an angus was in heat today. Never have I been so happy to have a cow repeat!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Going for hay tomorrow, so had the great idea of cleaning the trailer with the power washer, only take an hour, right? Jesus I am half the day at it :pac: But any hay going into that trailer will be cleaner coming out than going in :D Must fix the on board lights too, got a light board on it at the minute and it's doing my head in, hateful things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

We have a job going out here in new Zealand for a season anyway starting late may if any of you have a young lad that would be interested! Looking for someone with dairy experience preferably and a bit of responsibility. The Money isn't bad and house and all will be provided. Just thought i would mention it here before we look out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

my silage contractor had a very bad accident last week, he was after sprading dung and they where cleaning the road, they had jeeps with hazard lights on the road, he stepped out from between the tractor and spreader and got hit by a car:eek: was lifted up in the air and landed on his back... waiting for an operation on his back, to see if he can walk again... sound out man , we can never be too careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

What's the rest of the country like, absolute cracker of a day here on east Wicklow

dar31 wrote: »
    What's the rest of the country like, absolute cracker of a day here on east Wicklow
    Mild down here bright but very cloudy and no wind. Great day for spreading if the fields can hold a tractor. Will find out soon:confused:

Mild down here bright but very cloudy and no wind.

Similar day here. Isn't it great :D

€2.80 a bale for hay in Maam Cross this morning, nice enough hay for sheep, bales weren't too bad either, not tight packed but they were longer than normal.

Got a call when I came home, friends brother spotted my lamb in the hill. Headed back and picked her up handy enough.

Good day so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Nice dry but overcast day here (Leitrim). Ould lad thought I was mental 3/4 length trousers and a shirt though.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Lovely day here in the midlands too. There's great drying out... but there's not much growth out. :pac:

overcast here and coldish, not short and tshirt weather anyway... edited to add , we sowed lawn seed last sunday and its flying, so must be good growth out there for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Got wacked in the ribs by a swinging gate while helping the father inlaw let the girls out for their first run of the year - bloody sore now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Great day ...poured 49cubic meters of concrete today on our new silage slab just another 70 odd to go,next saturday weather going well!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Got wacked in the ribs by a swinging gate while helping the father inlaw let the girls out for their first run of the year - bloody sore now:(

not nice, fell off the maize pit 4 weeks ago, me ribs used the back of loader bucket to break my fall. only coming right this week, still can only sleep in one position in the bed though, reckon it will still take another 2 weeks to get full over it.

to crown it off this evening was crouched over feeding newborn calf in a pen with others, and a little fecker came along and pucked me in the ribs
    not impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Out with the fertiliser spreader here today. The best of our land just about trafficable. Grass growing great so this should give it a boost on. God it was a cracking day, real cut of spring about it. Very mild.

Had a few other jobs planned but didn't get to them. Typical. Never enough hours in the day as far as farming is concerned. If I was at work the day would drag! :rolleyes:

whelan1 wrote: »
    overcast here and coldish, not short and tshirt weather anyway... edited to add , we sowed lawn seed last sunday and its flying, so must be good growth out there for the week
    I think if there was a foot of snow on top of the lawn the bloody lawn would still be growing. Lawn grass doesnt follow the same rules as normal grass:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Great day ...poured 49cubic meters of concrete today on our new silage slab just another 70 odd to go,next saturday weather going well!!:rolleyes:

is that walls an all or just floor,must be right lump of a pit.

was just remembering today when had to help a lad catch the stock bull to injeect him cos he was lame on the back legs.it was an on a rough bit of land with no crush or pens so we :eek: used a nailbar and got it hooked through his ring:eek: and used it to (try) hold him steady. it was a good job he was as lame as he was cos he was pulling us about the place then had to hold him myself cos the the needle was one of those real stiff ones and he had to get two needle fulls.i was shaking when we were finished:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Karen112 wrote: »

Nice dry but overcast day here (Leitrim). Ould lad thought I was mental 3/4 length trousers and a shirt though.....:rolleyes:
    You or him? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »
    You or him? ;-)

Thankfully me;) I don't like looking at his hairy legs. Got seven shades od s**te kicked out of me this morning while dehorning that calf we had sectioned. He had late developing buds so he was a bit older than usual. The cow cleared a five foot gate to get to him too. Thank feck the auld fellow had sense to close the second gate:o

That's great news.

I ploughed the last of our garden in november, but it's been soaked since, finally got a tripleK on it yesterday with the 20. great craic :)

if I can get some time in the next few weeks it'll be done. only downside is it'll add an hour to cutting them, might finally have to invest in a rideon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Birdnuts wrote: »

Could be worse, whacked In the nuts by the old lady of the herd was a bitch, and she liked me

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

i put out suckler cows and calves today.great grass around here and the ground is fairly good so hopefully the weather holds.ive abandoned the ai and let the bull off with the cows not yet served.im scanning the served cows during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Dupont wrote: »
    is that walls an all or just floor,must be right lump of a pit.

was just remembering today when had to help a lad catch the stock bull to injeect him cos he was lame on the back legs.it was an on a rough bit of land with no crush or pens so we :eek: used a nailbar and got it hooked through his ring:eek: and used it to (try) hold him steady. it was a good job he was as lame as he was cos he was pulling us about the place then had to hold him myself cos the the needle was one of those real stiff ones and he had to get two needle fulls.i was shaking when we were finished:o

just the floor there i cut the expansion joints into it this mornin with a con saw back was broke after that:(. Theres a 56meter 2.4 high L shaped wall on 2 sides. I'll try get a couple of pics up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

came across a couple of "piseogs" about cows calving lately.one is that cows calve if the barometer is droping or before a storm and another is that if a cow hasnt calved by high tide it wont calve until the tide is starting to rise again 6 hours later.anybody else heard these before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Cork here too, but where I am from, the term "piseog" has a more sinister meaning than what you describe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

keep going wrote: »
    if a cow hasnt calved by high tide it wont calve until the tide is starting to rise again 6 hours later.anybody else heard these before

The problem with growing up in Offaly is that the tide didn't feature too highly in our old wives tales:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bizzum wrote: »
    The problem with growing up in Offaly is that the tide didn't feature too highly in our old wives tales:D

Id did once but no old wives lived to talk about it

see minister burton is looking into sw payments for self employed people , about time me thinks

see minister burton is looking into sw payments for self employed people , about time me thinks
    The downside is the increased PRSI contributions we will have to make to qualify, up 50% iirc:(

The downside is the increased PRSI contributions we will have to make to qualify, up 50% iirc:(

Yeah, I heard that one the radio last evening.

johngalway wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard that one the radio last evening.
    I cant see us getting the full range of benefits either. Sick pay? Dental? Dole? I can see the 50% increase in cost but not even 20% increase in benefits:mad:.

Any of your contacts 'in the know', John?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I was out for a cycle early on sunday morning and passed by a field that had silage cut off it. I met the owner a few hundred yards further up the road and he told me that it was a pasture field that had gone too strong. Its too wet to carry cows yet and its across a main road from his yard and it would bring too much muck onto the road to let the cows across to it twice daily. it was easier for him to go in with the conditioner every second day, bale it up and land it to the cows heads.

Surely has to be a record for early cutting? I have seen pictures on the journal in the past of people cutting silage in february or march, but it was always a meadow which remained uncut from the previous year. This was grass that had grown since November.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement