Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Karen112 wrote: »
    AH FFS. Another section today:mad:

How are the cow and calf? If both are healthy it kinda takes the sting out of it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    How are the cow and calf? If both are healthy it kinda takes the sting out of it :o

Well, he's only out a couple of hours but the two of them seem grand. Fingers crossed that both keep healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

leg wax wrote: »
    sorry to hear that,i had my 6th calf born backwards on monday:( and said to vet take him out side door,bull calf but cow died yesterday ffs what a fooking day i put in. tractor stopped with diesel trouble on the road,then she stalled while pushing scrub that was cut off a ditch,battery was fooked and had to walk home 15 mins away get jeep go for new bat go back to field to realise the bonnet would not go up because loader was down,off again and get jump leads start tractor,bring tractor home ,run back for jeep and off to the bus stop for kids.another cow then desides she is to posh to push and when i help the head keeps on going down ,got him out and hes fine,arms are now out in a rash from the stress i suppose.my mother always said the worst thing you ever did was pay the vet,as soon as you do hes straight back in the door,12 more to calve and my heart is in my mouth.

That is a sh1ty day alright but as the saying goes "it's not so bad once it's outside the door". Not that sayings like that help when you're in the thick of it...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

sorry to hear that,i had my 6th calf born backwards on monday:( and said to vet take him out side door,bull calf but cow died yesterday ffs what a fooking day i put in. tractor stopped with diesel trouble on the road,then she stalled while pushing scrub that was cut off a ditch,battery was fooked and had to walk home 15 mins away get jeep go for new bat go back to field to realise the bonnet would not go up because loader was down,off again and get jump leads start tractor,bring tractor home ,run back for jeep and off to the bus stop for kids.another cow then desides she is to posh to push and when i help the head keeps on going down ,got him out and hes fine,arms are now out in a rash from the stress i suppose.my mother always said the worst thing you ever did was pay the vet,as soon as you do hes straight back in the door,12 more to calve and my heart is in my mouth.

Which Bulls are giving you bother legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Ya she looks as if nothing happened! No she wasn't scanned. If I knew she was carrying twins, what could/should have done differently?

I wasn't asking with the purpose to suggest anything different could have been done. I was just wondering. In fact, when I seen you had her on her own I was guessing you had her scanned and was minding her!
    Well, he's only out a couple of hours but the two of them seem grand. Fingers crossed that both keep healthy.

It's a big ordeal on an animal. The first few days are great to get behind you.

Bizzum wrote: »
    @Muckit- It has happened a couple times on our farm too. Could have been a deformality internally that caused one of the calves to slip.

It's a big ordeal on an animal. The first few days are great to get behind you.

I just got back from work (early:o) as he was being lugged out of the cow. Not hugely tall but a tank of a calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Talking to a fella today about the quality of silage plastic. He was saying to watch how much it's being stretched by the contractor as they can really stretch it too much, especially if they are supplying it themselves:eek:.

I wasn't asking with the purpose to suggest anything different could have been done. I was just wondering. In fact, when I seen you had her on her own I was guessing you had her scanned and was minding her!

And I wasn't being thick! Am looking for answers really, perhaps there are none :( Thought there might be lads on here that would have an idea why she slung them. Never had any abort in years.

It was more by circumstance than a planned thing that we had her on her own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

just do it wrote: »
    Talking to a fella today about the quality of silage plastic. He was saying to watch how much it's being stretched by the contractor as they can really stretch it too much, especially if they are supplying it themselves:eek:.

Not too sure how you'd set up a wrapper to overstretch it? Unless you got custom gears made up for the PSU? But at the same time i wouldn't be a bit surprised if your source was right. Plenty of cowboys out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

And I wasn't being thick! Am looking for answers really, perhaps there are none :( Thought there might be lads on here that would have an idea why she slung them. Never had any abort in years.

It was more by circumstance than a planned thing that we had her on her own
    think twins are just finnicky, even if you had of known she was carrying twins and mollycoddled her she could still have thrown them, twins put awful pressure on the cow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I had a young yearling bull fall back on his back in the crush yesterday. He was lying there with his legs up straight in the air. Luckily I could pull back the side bars and I dont have a concrete walk along the side so he could get up. He took a while though, kicking like mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hey lads sorry to drop in but I didn't wanna start a new thread just for this. Basically i'm filling out my ag science project for the LC and I asked my farmer to write out a few of the brand names he uses for dosing etc. Unfortunately though I can't really read his writing and can't get throuigh to him on the phone. When I google them I can't find anything and I really can't make out his handwriting. These are in relation to beef cattle disease prevention.

So do these brands sound familiar to anybody?

"Daldrasc" - Liverfluke prevention
    "Animee" - Pour on for lice.
    "Ivernection" - injection against liverfluke.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could tell me what it is i'm trying to spell :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I love it when a plan comes together. Heifers vacinated for lepto, bit of fencing done, veg boxes dug and manured and radishes, turnips and broad beans planted. and its only half 3:D

So do these brands sound familiar to anybody?

"Daldrasc" - Liverfluke prevention
    "Animee" - Pour on for lice.
    "Ivernection" - injection against liverfluke.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could tell me what it is i'm trying to spell :o

Animec- Fluke & wormer, also lice. It's a pour on.
    Ivermectin- Ivomec is common brand , Fluke and wormer and lice. Comes innseveral forms.

Animec is a cheaper form of Ivomec.

The first one aint ringing any bells for me. Doesn't look like Trodax, Curasol or Panacur, Probably a brand name of a Flukicide.

Hope thats some help!

deldrax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Thanks so much. I really appreciate that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

scanned heifers today. should have been two months in calf. didnt see any sign of repeats and still only two of them held. so much for planned pregnancies.

1chippy wrote: »
    scanned heifers today. should have been two months in calf. didnt see any sign of repeats and still only two of them held. so much for planned pregnancies.
    was it mr charming that scanned them? do you have a bull with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

no not mister charming got a diferent bloke. i wanted to scan a few of the cows too and he wouldnt wait, wanted in and out as fast as possible. most be a common trait. will be calling your man for next round. i know i should have had all organised but the lad that was helping crashed and left me trying to sort sucklers on my own so i went completly against my own advice and nearly lost the cool.
    Didnt run the bull with any only the two that held all others were ai.
    put cidrs in six cows. estrumated heifers again and just ran them with the bull, great to see them out,lovely watching them get loose from the shed.

cleaned yard, cleaned some of the straw bed sheds,, done calves for black leg, dehorned and tagged the last calves and got the power washer set up for a good cean up when alls out.
    I have to say ts pretty theraputic tidying the yard with no one around..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

put out the first bit of urea yesterday-latest ever

048em.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-03-04

Quick questions - I had a cow calf last night, @ 3am. She took a while pushing, maybe 2 hours or so, before the blister or water sac showed. Now, the blister never burst, and she calved away easy enough. A fine CF85 Bull calf.
    The calf was born completely with it's front half or more in the placenta. I ribbed it open and he started breathing. My question is how long would the calf live like this. The umbilical cord is broken so wouldnt it suffocate if the cow didn't eat it quick enough.
    Cow hasn't cleaned yet either, but still under 12 hours.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Quick questions - I had a cow calf last night, @ 3am. She took a while pushing, maybe 2 hours or so, before the blister or water sac showed. Now, the blister never burst, and she calved away easy enough. A fine CF85 Bull calf.
    The calf was born completely with it's front half or more in the placenta. I ribbed it open and he started breathing. My question is how long would the calf live like this. The umbilical cord is broken so wouldnt it suffocate if the cow didn't eat it quick enough.

I'd reckon it would be pretty much the same as ourselves underwater.
    A couple minutes at the very most if the cord was broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Had the same thing this year, I managed to revive the calf with one of these
    http://magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MAE0021&cat=12
    Worth every penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

stanflt wrote: »
    put out the first bit of urea yesterday-latest ever

048em.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-03-04

Good pasture there Stanfit. Where you at? Had you that field long closed up?

all go here this morning, water pump packed up:rolleyes: so plumber came and we lifted the pump, its only down 4 years but it was caked with iron... got it going again... aga cooker stopped going, got man to fix it.. spray man came to spray ragworth.... now having a cuppa with a curly wurly and off to check my grass

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    all go here this morning, water pump packed up:rolleyes: so plumber came and we lifted the pump, its only down 4 years but it was caked with iron... got it going again... aga cooker stopped going, got man to fix it.. spray man came to spray ragworth.... now having a cuppa with a curly wurly and off to check my grass

That cuppa and curly wurly were well earned by the sounds of it!!! :D

God you have had a busy morning!! Glad to hear all up and running again. 'You don't miss the water til the well runs dry.' Is there a back boiler on the aga?

That cuppa and curly wurly were well earned by the sounds of it!!! :D

God you have had a busy morning!! Glad to hear all up and running again. 'You don't miss the water til the well runs dry.' Is there a back boiler on the aga?
    well the aga heats the water if thats what you mean..really missed it this morning, house was freezing when i came down, it works off kerosene

I'm kinda the same over here this morning. Puddle of water behind the stove. Hope the boiler hasn't cracked:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Got a kick square on the shin from a little calf this morning :(
    Oh the pain....

The same cow had milk fever this morning. Went out before work to check on them. Went to stand her up to get calf to drink. First time we ever had it here. She was very milky though. I normaly give them a few dairy nuts after calving. I didn't in this case. It might have made the difference. Ah well, lesson learned. :mad:

• Advertisement

just went out to pump house to check all was still working, the cat was locked in there:o we where falling over her this morning, she could have been left there for a while....

well the aga heats the water if thats what you mean..

Ya that's what was wondering;) Ya have to be careful with them when the water goes like that. The kerosene a great job I'd say, no lugging buckets/bags of turf!

Ye probably don't know what a bog is up that side, the land is so good, not like here in the weesstt!! :D:D

Ya that's what was wondering;) Ya have to be careful with them when the water goes like that. The kerosene a great job I'd say, no lugging buckets/bags of turf!

Ye probably don't know what a bog is up that side, the land is so good, not like here in the weesstt!! :D:D
    MMM dont know about that , we have a road about 1km away cvalled the bog road:rolleyes: our land is very heavy... kerosene gone very dear, thats what my problem was i let it run out, so all the crap in the bottom of the tank stopped the cooker

Just had another tooth out. I'll be a size eight by next week if last time is anything to go by:(

Just had another tooth out. I'll be a size eight by next week if last time is anything to go by:(
    or you will have no teeth left:)

or you will have no teeth left:)

Oh stop..... been referred to another dentist as I get too panicky.

MfMan wrote: »
    Good pasture there Stanfit. Where you at? Had you that field long closed up?

east meath

closed off around 15november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JT2012

C0N0R wrote: »
    We have a job going out here in new Zealand for a season anyway starting late may if any of you have a young lad that would be interested! Looking for someone with dairy experience preferably and a bit of responsibility. The Money isn't bad and house and all will be provided. Just thought i would mention it here before we look out here.

Hi Conor,

My wife and I are going to NZ for a year in June. I have over 9 years dairy farming experience on commercial farms in Ireland. I am a trained farm manager with AI training. I am looking for a 2IC/ Farm manager job. I was wondering could you give me some tips/ help

Much thanks

JT2012 wrote: »
    Hi Conor,

My wife and I are going to NZ for a year in June. I have over 9 years dairy farming experience on commercial farms in Ireland. I am a trained farm manager with AI training. I am looking for a 2IC/ Farm manager job. I was wondering could you give me some tips/ help

Much thanks

i have a few contacts if your interested-both north and south island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JT2012

stanflt wrote: »
    i have a few contacts if your interested-both north and south island
    Thanks stanflt, i would really appreciate that. Is it common enough for experienced lads to land 2IC/ farm manager jobs as their first jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

The same cow had milk fever this morning. Went out before work to check on them. Went to stand her up to get calf to drink. First time we ever had it here. She was very milky though. I normaly give them a few dairy nuts after calving. I didn't in this case. It might have made the difference. Ah well, lesson learned. :mad:

Hi Pak,

Is she right now? did you throw the calcium into her yourself or took no chances and got the vet out?

I've seen this too. Indeed I've seen the veil over a calf so tough that it's difficult to break by hand.
    I've often wondered how long a calf would last, and came to the conclusion: Not very long!

Just had another tooth out.

Your bark will certainly be worse than your bite, the way you're going on:D

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Pak,

Is she right now? did you throw the calcium into her yourself or took no chances and got the vet out?
    She's fine now, Thank God. No, I got the vet out. It's something I've never done before and I didn't have the calcium. I thought it was very rare in suckler cows. But she has so much milk she's more like a dairy cow. I only stood her up to check if the calf wanted to drink her. Rushing for work at the time - typical.
    I'll keep giving her a few dairy nuts twice a day.

I've seen this too. Indeed I've seen the veil over a calf so tough that it's difficult to break by hand.
    I've often wondered how long a calf would last, and came to the conclusion: Not very long!
    I wonder is it down to it being a very easy calving. The cow doesn't push enough to break the blister. She never even stood up after the blister appeared until she had him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

at last they are comeing to finish the tax audit today,been hanging over my head since nov.

at last they are comeing to finish the tax audit today,been hanging over my head since nov.
    good luck with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have a suck calf at home, and aother calf sems to be nibbling his ear. what can i use to treat the bite marks and also to stop the other calf from biting?

would Alum spray would cover the bite marks ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i have a suck calf at home, and aother calf sems to be nibbling his ear. what can i use to treat the bite marks and also to stop the other calf from biting?

would Alum spray would cover the bite marks ok?

A bit of Alum spray to treat the bites and a little bit of Stockholm Tar on top would do the trick. The calves won't like the taste of it and it will keep flies away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Where would i get stockholm tar? i would never had a need for it before so it will be a purchase item :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement