Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Where would i get stockholm tar? i would never had a need for it before so it will be a purchase item :rolleyes:

Veterinary shop in Mullingar should have it or any place that has supplies for horses in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Cheers Reilig, ill get the OH to pop in that way later

reilig wrote: »
    Veterinary shop in Mullingar should have it or any place that has supplies for horses in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

pakalasa wrote: »
    Bizzum wrote: »
    I've seen this too. Indeed I've seen the veil over a calf so tough that it's difficult to break by hand.
    I've often wondered how long a calf would last, and came to the conclusion: Not very long!
    I wonder is it down to it being a very easy calving. The cow doesn't push enough to break the blister. She never even stood up after the blister appeared until she had him out.
    Could be down to the hypocalcemia. Calcium helps muscles do their contracting. If she's a bit weak at calving the calf "slips out" rather than being forced out, thus the membranes aren't put under any pressure and don't burst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I got the offer of a tin or a spray can of stockhom tar. Thanks again
    Where would i get stockholm tar? i would never had a need for it before so it will be a purchase item :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

i have a cow down with milk fever since sunday morning. i have tried everything. shes getting 4bottles a day into the vein (plus more under skin on sunday), ive given her 20cc phosporus yesterday and today and i gave her a bottle of mag yesterday. she is eating and drinking and has passed her cleanings. she is getting chanadol twice daily with 40lt water and ive given her pen strep for a temp.

now how long have you seen a cow down before she gets up. dont want to lose this cow as she was an ex90 oman as a 3year old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bought a box of kamar heat detectors in the co-op today for the heifers I'm going to ai, anyone ever use them?

Bought a box of kamar heat detectors in the co-op today for the heifers I'm going to ai, anyone ever use them?

estrumate at 1cc per heifer works out cheaper-and more effecient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

stanflt wrote: »
    estrumate at 1cc per heifer works out cheaper-and more effecient
    even cheaper if you use prosolven (sp) instead of estrumate:)

Heifers away from home so handy to catch them. If I gave them estrumate or prosolven now and didn't bull them on the first cycle would they still come together on the second cycle, I heard before that conception rates can be poor on the first cycle after synchronisation.

Heifers away from home so handy to catch them. If I gave them estrumate or prosolven now and didn't bull them on the first cycle would they still come together on the second cycle, I heard before that conception rates can be poor on the first cycle after synchronisation.

results show 49% on control and 53% on synch-morepark 2010 so in correct info

• Advertisement

results show 49% on control and 53% on synch-morepark 2010 so in correct info
    Oh right stan, always did them as they came before. How long after injecting would they be at standing heat?

Oh right stan, always did them as they came before. How long after injecting would they be at standing heat?

3-4days usually

i have a cow down with milk fever since sunday morning. i have tried everything. shes getting 4bottles a day into the vein (plus more under skin on sunday), ive given her 20cc phosporus yesterday and today and i gave her a bottle of mag yesterday. she is eating and drinking and has passed her cleanings. she is getting chanadol twice daily with 40lt water and ive given her pen strep for a temp.

now how long have you seen a cow down before she gets up. dont want to lose this cow as she was an ex90 oman as a 3year old
    did you try lifting her to see if she has a hurt? strange that milkfever is lasting that long... did you give her that ymcp stuff? is she grinding her teeth(sign of milk fever ) or does she have a swan neck?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Had a cow down last year last year for nearly 3 weeks. She was crawling around the field to get herself grass but couldn't get up on her back legs. We were lifting her for nearly ten days until we got fed up of it. We were about to put her down until we saw her walking around the field!!! Recovered fully and fattened her up. Doubt many cows would last that long though but put a new perspective on what we thought was the longest a cow could stay down for and recover.

neighbour got the lend of our lifter a while ago , he lifted the cow for 15 days and then she stood herself, he has some patience;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Great stuff.. have a small paint brush in it and lob it onto the calves after disbudding i feel it soothes/cools them better than the sprays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

whelan1 wrote: »
    well the aga heats the water if thats what you mean..really missed it this morning, house was freezing when i came down, it works off kerosene

My sister's boiler in the Aga clogged last year and was gurgling - she got it removed on advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

ya used them, they are a help anyway i found. wear a pair of gloves when you are putting the glue on the back of them is messy feckin stuff

anyone notice BBQ is gone from 2012 dovea catalogue, ai man was saying he is gone whatever happened him, still a young bull. used him a few times, kinda mixed results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

anyone notice BBQ is gone from 2012 dovea catalogue, ai man was saying he is gone whatever happened him, still a young bull. used him a few times, kinda mixed results
    he went infertile if you have straws left they will buy them back at profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

ya used them, they are a help anyway i found. wear a pair of gloves when you are putting the glue on the back of them is messy feckin stuff

+1. I bought a box of the 'checkmate' bubble type patches last year. They have an expiry date and unless you use all within the time (ie all in the one season), the stickyness goes off them. Some places will sell them singly, which I would recommend if you have small numbers.

I use Evo contact adhesive when tackiness goes off them and it works well. Wearing disposable gloves is a good idea. ;)

Incidently, I found the evo adhesive to turn to jelly in the metal pot if it's left out in a shed and the frost gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The blue just dont last unfortunatly

The blue just dont last unfortunatly

Do they go infertile after a while?? I wouldn't know much about them.

The charolais society seem to be saying that alot of new buyers who would have had BB stock bulls are coming back replacing them with charolais! They would say that though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

they tend to be bad on the feet and when a bull goes lame it has a huge impact on fertility. That and he simply wont jump.

Personally I wouldnt get a blue stock bull. They are to heavy at the back which makes them unballenced and they can fall back on themselves when they mount a cow. The fact that they're short doesnt help either.

Of all the breeds I would say blues are most suited for AI use instead of natural service

Just got a letter out in the post telling us our herd is restricted. Said we bought a cow that hadn't been blood tested, I checked the card and she was moved on the 59th day of test, rang the man we bought the cow off and he got a letter threatening to suspend his sfp. Can't figure out how this came about because everything had been done above board :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just got a letter out in the post telling us our herd is restricted. Said we bought a cow that hadn't been blood tested, I checked the card and she was moved on the 59th day of test, rang the man we bought the cow off and he got a letter threatening to suspend his sfp. Can't figure out how this came about because everything had been done above board :mad:

But was that the day she was moved onto the farm or was it the day the movement went through? Private sales can take a while to be processed and even in marts the AIM may not be closed for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just looking at some Lidl offers there, and they have rhododendrons for sale :eek:

Bloody things, if people went to parts of Connemara and South Mayo they could have all the rhododendrons they wanted for free!

just back from loading cows with heifer calves and bringing then over the road to 25 acres, on my last load got back to field with calves to find the cow that i had at ploughing dead in middle of the field.:mad::(:eek:

They're an aid alright, but I'd say the more you can observe them the better. I used them but not with great success. I've a vasectomised bill now and he's a far better job. I don't have the time to watch them closely enough.

The one tip I'd give is don't rush in and ai them too early. The bull tends to start picking them up a day or two before they're standing. Even when they are standing I'm inclined to ai them closer to 24 hours later rather than 12 hours later.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    just back from loading cows with heifer calves and bringing then over the road to 25 acres, on my last load got back to field with calves to find the cow that i had at ploughing dead in middle of the field.:mad::(:eek:

That's tough man. Sorry to hear that!
    Its always the best ones that are hardest to keep!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

If she's inside she could be down for up to 3 weeks. Its not milk fever, it's paralysis, get her out the field and she'l get up herself.

even cheaper if you use prosolven (sp) instead of estrumate:)

Whelan1, Whats the story with Estrumate or Prosolven? Does it have any impact on the animal?

I have a pedigree heifer that I just can't get in heat. Its time for her to get a straw. Would this work for her?

Do you get it from your vet? Is it prescription only?

oh balls, sorry to hear that

just do it wrote: »
    They're an aid alright, but I'd say the more you can observe them the better. I used them but not with great success. I've a vasectomised bill now and he's a far better job. I don't have the time to watch them closely enough.

Best of luck!

Poor old Bill. ;)

Karen112 wrote: »

Poor old Bill. ;)
    That's too good a mistake to correct!

• Advertisement

But was that the day she was moved onto the farm or was it the day the movement went through? Private sales can take a while to be processed and even in marts the AIM may not be closed for a couple of days.
    The auld lad went to meet your man and turns out the movement date he had put on the back of the card was different to the one on the permit and she was moved on the 61st day, why he didn't do the paperwork in time I don't know because we bought the cow off him before she was tested and he spent years dealing in cattle, hopefully it can be sorted tho because it's a balls putting heavy incalf cows up a crush.

What a balls. Have you any suspicion as to what it was? What age is the calf on her?

:eek: Sorry to heat that legwax, will you have a PM done on her?
    The auld lad went to meet your man and turns out the movement date he had put on the back of the card was different to the one on the permit and she was moved on the 61st day, why he didn't do the paperwork in time I don't know because we bought the cow off him before she was tested and he spent years dealing in cattle, hopefully it can be sorted tho because it's a balls putting heavy incalf cows up a crush.

Well that's a tad annoying for ye isn't it:pac:

Muckit wrote: »
    What a balls. Have you any suspicion as to what it was? What age is the calf on her?
    dont have a clue ,i presume heart attack,july calf i think.

:eek: Sorry to heat that legwax, will you have a PM done on her? no shes gone,i dont see the point as she was perfect at loading and when been brought into pen to load.

• Advertisement

all the more reason to get a pm done. especially as she was a real good cow, at least you would have a reason, even just ask the knackery lads to have a look at her to see if there was anything different ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Jesus leg wax that's a bummer OK...

@ whelan1... would the lads in the knackery have an idea?? NEver thought of doing that in the past...

bbam wrote: »
    Jesus leg wax that's a bummer OK...

@ whelan1... would the lads in the knackery have an idea?? NEver thought of doing that in the past...

We got them to check a cow for us once, bit of an easier problem that time though when they found a four inch piece of wire in her.
    If she had a heart attack I wonder if the heart would be any different looing than that of a healthy cow.

they are opening animals every day, have often asked them to have a look and they come back to me- unless they are making it up:rolleyes: cheaper than getting the vet to pm... it would annoy me not to know what an animal died of as i would be hopeful that i would learn from it and prevent another one... but each to their own

Finno59 wrote: »
    If she's inside she could be down for up to 3 weeks. Its not milk fever, it's paralysis, get her out the field and she'l get up herself.

how do you cure paralysis- she out since sunday- lifted her today, she stood for 10mins

how do you cure paralysis- she out since sunday- lifted her today, she stood for 10mins
    is she putting weight on all legs?

is she putting weight on all legs?

on front two shes grand but cant really support back legs

lift her a few times tomorrow she might have pins and needles in the back legs, try to get the circulation going..... time consuming, also might be an idea to tie a rope on her back legs so she doesnt do the splits, good luck with her

:eek: Sorry to heat that legwax, will you have a PM done on her? no shes gone,i dont see the point as she was perfect at loading and when been brought into pen to load.

had one drop dead in field a few years back, auld lad thought the same as yourself at the time right or wrong, heart attack. its nearly bound to be if she was perfect up till then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You'd wonder if you'd be better off getting rid of cows when they get to a certain age regardless of how good or bad they are. Older cows tend to get sicker more often. I know some of the well known suckler farmers, in the Journal and that, have a policy of doing this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement