Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »
    You'd wonder if you'd be better off getting rid of cows when they get to a certain age regardless of how good or bad they are. Older cows tend to get sicker more often. I know some of the well known suckler farmers, in the Journal and that, have a policy of doing this.

Yes, same as sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You'd wonder if you'd be better off getting rid of cows when they get to a certain age regardless of how good or bad they are. Older cows tend to get sicker more often. I know some of the well known suckler farmers, in the Journal and that, have a policy of doing this.

It can be hit and miss with us. We have a 7yr old cow here and dropped our first blonde. He will only suck a front spin that was used solely by that dwarf calf last year. Was strugging the back two at the weekend and the calf would latch on but stop after a few sucks. So typical me, I had a taste of both the front & back spins. The back ones tasted like they had been over-heated:confused: Like milk that had been boiled a wee bit over the pasteurisation level. Anyone any idea? Would it have anything to do with them being out of action last year? Think she's on the cull list next year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

leg wax wrote: »
    just back from loading cows with heifer calves and bringing then over the road to 25 acres, on my last load got back to field with calves to find the cow that i had at ploughing dead in middle of the field.:mad::(:eek:
    That's terrible luck leg wax

Heart attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Vick7

My Dad got a letter today that his new tractor, 94 Ursus, has not been taxed yet. He won't be going on the roads with it so does he just ignore the letter or does he need to inform them it's not for road use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Vick7 wrote: »
    My Dad got a letter today that his new tractor, 94 Ursus, has not been taxed yet. He won't be going on the roads with it so does he just ignore the letter or does he need to inform them it's not for road use.

He can just ignore it. As long as he will never bring it on a public road or cross a public road now or in the future, there is no need to have road tax on it.

However, remember that if he ever plans bringing it onto the road in the future or selling it to someone that plans to drive it on the road in the future, then it will have to be back taxed for the years missed. There are new rules coming in that you can no longer go to the guards to get them to sign a declaration that the vehicle was off the road in order to avoid paying the road tax for the period that it was off the road. In this case, it might be a cheap option to keep the tax up to date?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hard luck with that legwax, she must have been stressed when seperated from the calf. Looks like the heart, or possibly borderline grass tetany, and the extra stress killed her. Sh1t happens.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Vick7 wrote: »

Ring the number on the form, better to be on the right side of the law. Especially when it comes to selling the tractor;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

reilig wrote: »
    leg wax wrote: »
    just back from loading cows with heifer calves and bringing then over the road to 25 acres, on my last load got back to field with calves to find the cow that i had at ploughing dead in middle of the field.:mad::(:eek:

that's awful Leg wax, I'm really sorry for your loss, it would test the best of us a fine Cow like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sorry to hear about that leg wax. serious animal if its the same one im thinking of. what kinda age and how long was she calved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

i'd say leave her alone, the only cure is time, The back legs being weaker than front means its defo paralysis, the nerves will heal up over time. Lift her if you like but not sure if it will speed things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

As from yesterday tismesoitis is a Gentleman:D little baby girl arrived safe n sound herself and mam doin great.wonder what her 17 mth brother will make of her when he meets her tomorrow;):D life does'nt get better!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

As from yesterday tismesoitis is a Gentleman:D little baby girl arrived safe n sound herself and mam doin great.wonder what her 17 mth brother will make of her when he meets her tomorrow;):D life does'nt get better!!!!!

Congratulations to you all:)

Finno59 wrote: »
    i'd say leave her alone, the only cure is time, The back legs being weaker than front means its defo paralysis, the nerves will heal up over time. Lift her if you like but not sure if it will speed things up.
    +1
    Having her on a good soft bed to avoid pressure sores is way more important than lifting. She'll get up when she's ready

Congratulations, and you're right, it doesn't get much better than that!!:D What will you call her, shesminesosheis?:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

As from yesterday tismesoitis is a Gentleman:D
    \
    pffft! I'll believe that when I see it lad!:D

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    They're an aid alright, but I'd say the more you can observe them the better. I used them but not with great success. I've a vasectomised bill now and he's a far better job. I don't have the time to watch them closely enough.

The one tip I'd give is don't rush in and ai them too early. The bull tends to start picking them up a day or two before they're standing. Even when they are standing I'm inclined to ai them closer to 24 hours later rather than 12 hours later.

Best of luck!

Case in point. A first calver was standing for strong male bulls 2 days ago. No activity yesterday, at least not while I was at the shed. No sign this morning and now this evening she's mad bulling again:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Offline for 2 days and I get back to a downer cow, a dead cow, and a child being born.
    Getting shocking like a soap opera in here!
    Hard luck/Best of luck to all.

The wheel of life keeps on turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Bizzum wrote: »
    Offline for 2 days and I get back to a downer cow, a dead cow, and a child being born.
    Getting shocking like a soap opera in here!
    Hard luck/Best of luck to all.

The wheel of life keeps on turning.

two more dead and no life here, to add to the drama :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Grumpy Smurf is selling his Same tractor;

"Readvertised due to pure time wasters no one has came to look at this yet constantly gettin phone calls no one commin if ye want some one to talk to ring the samaritans not me..."

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2869590

We should all ring him for the laugh........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't think he'd get the joke. I don't blame him. I HATE selling anything private. The amount of timewasters is unbelievable. The sad thing is that a lot of lads I think do ring up because they are lonely and its a common interest, they're just not interested in buying it though.

But in saying that, it's something that has to be allowed for and accepted if you want to sell anything. I just bite my lip now and try and at least waste their phone credit if nothing else :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't think he'd get the joke. I don't blame him. I HATE selling anything private. The amount of timewasters is unbelievable. The sad thing is that a lot of lads I think do ring up because they are lonely and its a common interest, they're just not interested in buying it though.

But in saying that, it's something that has to be allowed for and accepted if you want to sell anything. I just bite my lip now and try and at least waste their phone credit if nothing else :D
    bangor erris; you want milage just to go look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Went out there a bout an hour ago to put the bale handler on the tractor for the morning. Looked up the mountain behind the house while I was doing it and spotted a cow a bit off by herself that the auld lad said wouldnt calve for a fortnight. Said to myself I better run up and take a look at her so got the quad and the flashlamp and headed off, sure enough she had a grand red lim heifer inside under when I got as far as her, grand to see the first calf of 2012 and time to put the auld lad into retirement me thinks :D

Went out there a bout an hour ago to put the bale handler on the tractor for the morning. Looked up the mountain behind the house while I was doing it and spotted a cow a bit off by herself that the auld lad said wouldnt calve for a fortnight. Said to myself I better run up and take a look at her so got the quad and the flashlamp and headed off, sure enough she had a grand red lim heifer inside under when I got as far as her, grand to see the first calf of 2012 and time to put the auld lad into retirement me thinks :D

Good luck with this year's calvings, and especially with getting the auld lad to retire!:D;)

Reminds me of my late grandfather telling my dad that a certain cow looked like she was going to calve that night. The same cow was calved two months:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Grumpy Smurf is selling his Same tractor;

"Readvertised due to pure time wasters no one has came to look at this yet constantly gettin phone calls no one commin if ye want some one to talk to ring the samaritans not me..."

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2869590

That man has my sympathy, there definitely is ppl just ringing up for a chat. I'm half thinking of putting a number for the samaritins next time I put an ad on dd.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was on the road earlier and saw what looked like a brand new small square baler on the back of a truck heading towards Cavan town.
    Don't know when I saw a new one last?? Probably the 70's. Wouldn't be much call for one round these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bbam wrote: »
    Was on the road earlier and saw what looked like a brand new small square baler on the back of a truck heading towards Cavan town.
    Don't know when I saw a new one last?? Probably the 70's. Wouldn't be much call for one round these parts.

I taught they were still making cocks of hay in Cavan

That's right.
    Wooden rakes, bottles of cold tea, batch loaf and the butter sliced onto it (none of that spread muck, that's for city folks). An auld fella twisting hay ropes.
    Me thinks the memory is better than the reality ever was.

Funny we went straight from cocks and a rick of hay to a slab of concrete and a out of silage. Never made a bale of hay. Sometime round 75/76 timeframe from what I remember ( obviously I'm far too young to remember clearly)

One or two still make them around here. After last years downpour that might be the end of them, one lads hay was pure black.

My Dad used to do them and still did up until a few years ago, in one field that is inaccessible for a baler. I used to be the one on the top of the trailer tramping it. Great fun until you fell on a thistle:o

Me and my brother were wild when we were younger, used to climb to the top of the three round bales that were stacked in the hayshed, hang off the beam and jump/fall onto the loose hay below:P
    Great craic altogether!

Actually thinking back, that hay was only about a metre deep if even that. Ah well, we still survived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bbam wrote: »
    a few people round here do them for the horsey people

testinfg today, just have milkers left to do vet coming back at 4 as cows are out.... wrecked already.... :o will enjoy a glass of wine tonight

Calf number 2 hit the ground today, the auld lad's timing was a bit better with this one
    photo-34.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Calf number 2 hit the ground today, the auld lad's timing was a bit better with this one
    Cow is in great nick for one that was outwintered without silage or hay.

Cow is in great nick for one that was outwintered without silage or hay.
    She held well now alright and put up a great bag, they are gettin 3kg meal a head with the last 3 weeks alright though.

Thats a sight that would warm the cockles of your heart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

downer cow still not up:( shes a picture of health, just one of those things

on a more positive note i milked my first FLT heifer this evening. she calved around 11, a smashing HVA heifer calf

did ya get the vet to have a look at her? well done on the heifer:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    did ya get the vet to have a look at her? well done on the heifer:D

yeah vet has looked at her twice- heart is perfect no temp- eyes not sunken- biggest problem is she is bursting with milk

• Advertisement

feck hate that, just when you think you have them milked out there's more:eek: must be some sort of hurt so..... did you hear about the vet dropping dead in the factory in duleek today, young man:(

feck hate that, just when you think you have them milked out there's more:eek: must be some sort of hurt so..... did you hear about the vet dropping dead in the factory in duleek today, young man:(

my vet is a young man that was in the factory today-hope its not him

he was from vets in ardee... r.i.p... not our vets

r i p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

when to get the fertilizer spreader back off the neighbours this morning andthe PTO shaft was jammed solid. had to cut off the guard and after 2 and a half hours and a full can of wd40 got it free:mad:. frustrating morning

Togged out for the junior B team last night- first game in 8 years! And I couldn't believe it, I was put straight in at mid-field. Seeing as I'm only 5'8'' it was the first time I've ever played in that position. First half was grand but by god was I glad to be substituted/ given a rest after 20mins of the second half. Suffering today:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Togged out for the junior B team last night- first game in 8 years! And I couldn't believe it, I was put straight in at mid-field. Seeing as I'm only 5'8'' it was the first time I've ever played in that position. First half was grand but by god was I glad to be substituted/ given a rest after 20mins of the second half. Suffering today:rolleyes:
    know the feeling :rolleyes: not doing football but running along with work is pure hardship... along with kids waking during the night:mad:

know the feeling :rolleyes: not doing football but running along with work is pure hardship... along with kids waking during the night:mad:

Well I'm looking forward to next weekend. The kids will get to see Daddy playing in a game! They're 2.5 and 4 and it will be a shock to their system:D. I hope they don't get to see Daddy fighting:eek:

Well I'm looking forward to next weekend. The kids will get to see Daddy playing in a game! They're 2.5 and 4 and it will be a shock to their system:D. I hope they don't get to see Daddy fighting:eek:

"Look, there's Daddy in a schamozzel putting manners on the bad, bad man!"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I hope they don't get to see Daddy fighting:eek:

Better to see daddy fighting than daddy running away :D

Coming down stairs can be tricky for a few days if you're sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

played a game last year the day after my 42nd birthday.was feeling right proud of myself after the game until the next day-dead men could move better,and the next day,and the next,and the next..........:(loved every minute of the game though and to think some fellas go on strike

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement