Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

played 40 minutes in an over 50's rugby charity last new year's day

swore never again

think I have been saying same for the last 6 years now ::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bizzum wrote: »
    Better to see daddy fighting than daddy running away :D

Coming down stairs can be tricky for a few days if you're sore!

Yeah its gas, the stairs is a killer!

keep going wrote: »
    played a game last year the day after my 42nd birthday.was feeling right proud of myself after the game until the next day-dead men could move better,and the next day,and the next,and the next..........:(

Yeah the recovery is getting longer and longer alright. And isn't even related to sport - do you notice niggles just don't seem to disappear anymore?! I lightly sprained an ankle about 5 months ago on some rough ground down the farm. The fecken ankle still niggles me every so often:rolleyes:. The clutch in the tractor seems to aggrevate it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What amazes me is the amount of people that decide to go mad in sports later in life and never bothered with it when they were younger. I know a few lads that are in to climbing mountains, running marathons. The same guys were more into skulling pints when they were younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

when to get the fertilizer spreader back off the neighbours this morning andthe PTO shaft was jammed solid. had to cut off the guard and after 2 and a half hours and a full can of wd40 got it free:mad:. frustrating morning

There is a terrible myth about WD40, that it is a suitable lubricant for seized parts like your driive shaft. In fact, it is merely a water repellant and doesn't do a whole lot for releasing as it evaporates away quite quickly. The most suitable lubricant for a seized part is diesel. It will make its way in around seized parts and loosen them out far faster than wd40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what does the wd stand for in wd40?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »
    what does the wd stand for in wd40?

Water Displacement 40th attempt.
    I love the smell of the stuff. Suppose it's like petrol, love it or hate it.

"Two of the craziest purposes for WD-40 include a bus driver in Asia who used WD-40 to remove a python snake which had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus, and police officers who used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar trapped in an air conditioning vent."
    Hahahah!

i remember a lad asking me for ptfe, i was going wtf... does it really stand for plumbers tape for everything?

i remember a lad asking me for ptfe, i was going wtf... does it really stand for plumbers tape for everything?

Probably an acronym used in the industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).

Though I can't think why they shortened it :confused:

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).

Though I can't think why they shortened it :confused:

Because it twists your tongue into a knot and you can't drink tea after that:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Karen112 wrote: »
    Water Displacement 40th attempt.
    I love the smell of the stuff. Suppose it's like petrol, love it or hate it.

"Two of the craziest purposes for WD-40 include a bus driver in Asia who used WD-40 to remove a python snake which had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus, and police officers who used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar trapped in an air conditioning vent."
    Hahahah!

Very interesting, have the stuff but didn't know how much you can do with it...

Before you read to the end, do you know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is?
    I had a neighbour who had bought a new van. I got up very early one
    Sunday morning and saw that some vandal had spray painted red all
    around the sides of this white van. I went over and told him the bad news. He
    was very upset and was trying to work out what to do, probably nothing
    until Monday morning, since nothing was open.

Another neighbour came out and told him to get some WD-40 and clean it
    off.
    It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm the paint
    that was on the van. I'm impressed!
    WD-40 -
    how did someone work out it would do that?

'Water Displacement No.40' The product began from a search for rust
    preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was
    created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical
    Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water
    displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth
    formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to
    protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40
    that would hurt you. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that
    spotty shower screen. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as on
    glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your cooker top .... Kazamm! It's
    now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some other uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3. Cleans and lubricates guitar 20 strings.
    4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
    5. Keeps flies off cows.
    6. Restores and cleans blackboards.
    7. Removes lipstick stains.
    8. Loosens stubborn zips.
    9. Untangles jewelry chains.
    10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11.. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14. Keeps glass shower screens free of water spots.
    15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
    18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for
    those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the
    finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just
    remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19. Dead insects will eat away the finish on your car if not removed
    quickly! Use WD-40!
    20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a 20 shine for a super fast slide..
    21. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    22. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and
    dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick
    spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well
    as vinyl bumpers.
    26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
    28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for
    easy handling.
    29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running
    smoothly.
    30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve
    arthritis pain.
    37. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you
    will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than
    the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose.
    Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for
    fishing are not allowed in some counties ..
    38. Use it for gnat bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops
    the itch.

I can also add one, oil or grease on cement, use WD-40 easily removes it. We had a Lions Day at Australia Zoo, someone forgot the Grease bucket, it went all over their clean cement walkway, so I got my WD-40 out, fantastic.

I can add another one......if u spray your garden pots around the sides it
    stops slugs/snails eating ur plants : )

I can add another .... removes chewing gum from anything.

And for some reason............spray it on your arthritic knee joints etc and it will ease them.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL..

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

pakalasa wrote: »
    What amazes me is the amount of people that decide to go mad in sports later in life and never bothered with it when they were younger. I know a few lads that are in to climbing mountains, running marathons. The same guys were more into skulling pints when they were younger.

In my bachelor days, I drank guinness, chased women, played rugby, and milked cows in that order of preference,:eek:

when I got married & kids started arriving, OH says you will have to change your life style, so I now L@@K at women, milk cows, drink jameson and play rugby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Thats a pure sickner , last year one of my best cows , a blue cross simmental went 2 weeks over her due date carrying an easy calving A.I belgian blue calf. One of the toughest jackings iv done on a cow and was seriously regretting having taken on the job when i got him to the shoulders but too late then. Eventually got him out , alive . lay in the straw for 3 hours balling and despite everything i tried he wouldnt try to get up or suck and didnt have the will to live. Died shortly after.
    Left with a dry cow over the summer . Despite the harsh calving she was back in heat quite quickly because no calf on her . I AI'd her myself to an easy calving Blonde (Kilmoney Bruce) . This year she has calved a month premature with a pair of dead twin calves bull and heifer .. :mad:
    The following day i noticed her extremely stiff and not much movement in her back legs . Very bad case of mastitis . Stripped her out on bad quarter , put 2 tubes in her and 50ml of pen-strep . That evening i returned to find her in a paralised state . The vet arrived examined her and treated with several different drugs to treat her "Gangrenous Mastitis" and gave her little chance of survival . True enough the next morning I had to call my local Knackery .
    Moral of the story : in 2 years = 3 dead calves , 1 dead cow . a knackery bill and a hefty vet bill :(

blue5000 wrote: »

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL..[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Or use Cillet Bang
    BANG..............and it's still there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Thats a pure sickner , last year one of my best cows , a blue cross simmental went 2 weeks over her due date carrying an easy calving A.I belgian blue calf. One of the toughest jackings iv done on a cow and was seriously regretting having taken on the job when i got him to the shoulders but too late then. Eventually got him out , alive . lay in the straw for 3 hours balling and despite everything i tried he wouldnt try to get up or suck and didnt have the will to live. Died shortly after.
    Left with a dry cow over the summer . Despite the harsh calving she was back in heat quite quickly because no calf on her . I AI'd her myself to an easy calving Blonde (Kilmoney Bruce) . This year she has calved a month premature with a pair of dead twin calves bull and heifer .. :mad:
    The following day i noticed her extremely stiff and not much movement in her back legs . Very bad case of mastitis . Stripped her out on bad quarter , put 2 tubes in her and 50ml of pen-strep . That evening i returned to find her in a paralised state . The vet arrived examined her and treated with several different drugs to treat her "Gangrenous Mastitis" and gave her little chance of survival . True enough the next morning I had to call my local Knackery .
    Moral of the story : in 2 years = 3 dead calves , 1 dead cow . a knackery bill and a hefty vet bill :(

The bad side of farming for ya. You'd wonder why you bother. But things turn around, they always do. chin up ;)

Sorry to hear that:( happens to everyone in the farming business. But it's the love for the job that keeps us going. If you average it out, who else would work on a 24 hour call basis, at low wage. Worth it in the end to see new life coming into this world and being a part of it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Thats a sickner. Never nice. We all get them unfortunately. keep the chin up it will balance out over time.

Karen112 wrote: »
    Because it twists your tongue into a knot and you can't drink tea after that:D

Get a great word score in Scrabble with it though.

• Advertisement

Would you believe it's the same stuff used in non-stick frying pans. PTFE - also known as teflon. Developed by Du Pont.

johngalway wrote: »
    Get a great word score in Scrabble with it though.
    just as long as the kids dont have to learn it for their spellings:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Would you believe it's the same stuff used in non-stick frying pans. PTFE - also known as teflon. Developed by Du Pont.

well i dont like taking all the credit;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

what a rollercoaster of a week

last sunday my favourite cow went down with milk fever- she had been making progress but today she broke her hip:mad: knackery collecting her in the morning

was milking this evening and noticed a cow had just aborted- dried her off straight away. no room for problem cows in the herd.

now on a more positive note 19cows calved with 17heifers and two bulls:)

and finally milked my first FLT heifer this week(milked my second soon after)

annoyed over losing two great cows but joyous over calvings

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

sorry to hear about for your milk fever cow, was this the same cow that would'nt stand and we thought had paralysis
    Thats a great heifer to bull ratio were you using advantaged straws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

Finno59 wrote: »
    sorry to hear about for your milk fever cow, was this the same cow that would'nt stand and we thought had paralysis
    Thats a great heifer to bull ratio were you using advantaged straws?

no just good semen

dont use sexed semen-poor conception rates

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear it, but some of them are just bad luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

just do it wrote: »
    Yeah the recovery is getting longer and longer alright. And isn't even related to sport - do you notice niggles just don't seem to disappear anymore?! I lightly sprained an ankle about 5 months ago on some rough ground down the farm. The fecken ankle still niggles me every so often:rolleyes:. The clutch in the tractor seems to aggrevate it:(
    your right about that,when you were younger you fell you got up and on you go ,now you fall its feels like everything is broke.only ever got injured once in thirty odd years of football(probaly because i never played against myself;))tore medial ligaments but now i get pains in places i never knew i injured

clear test:D let 6 sucklers and their calves out , great to see them tearing round the field

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

Hey guys I'm posting from a phone and I couldn't start a new thread for some reason so ill ask the question here.
    Do ye think a 16 mth old bull is good enough to serve around 40 cows.
    It will probably extend over 10 weeks or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

alderdeer wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm posting from a phone and I couldn't start a new thread for some reason so ill ask the question here.
    Do ye think a 16 mth old bull is good enough to serve around 40 cows.
    It will probably extend over 10 weeks or so

Nope, 10 cows would be enough to break in a bull of 16 months I would think. Letting him off with 40 is asking for trouble!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya but depends on the breed, whether he was pampered with meal and is he physically big enough.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ya but depends on the breed, whether he was pampered with meal and is he physically big enough.

I'm looking at Limousin mainly and I'm getting mixed advice depending on who I talk to,.
    I myself had thought I'd need at least a 2 ye old but they don't seem to be out there in too big of numbers it seems to be mainly under 18 nth. And yes there is older bulls out there but I'm a bit cautious about buying a 3-4 yr old. Are lads not just selling them because they don't like the calves they produced or troublesome

I'm looking at Limousin mainly and I'm getting mixed advice depending on who I talk to,.
    I myself had thought I'd need at least a 2 ye old but they don't seem to be out there in too big of numbers it seems to be mainly under 18 nth. And yes there is older bulls out there but I'm a bit cautious about buying a 3-4 yr old. Are lads not just selling them because they don't like the calves they produced or troublesome

Not always. It's usually because a bull would be serving at 2 years old, then any replacement heifers kept on would be hassle to keep out of the herd and away from him.

we sell around 10 bulls a year, mostly 14-16months old mainly go to heifers first and then clean up cows...

we sell around 10 bulls a year, mostly 14-16months old mainly go to heifers first and then clean up cows...[/Quote

I have 12 heifers that I was going to AI but maybe I could look at buying a second bull and devide them into 2 groups and off load him later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feeding up earlier and noticed a few heifers in a pen with the first signs of ringworm...Didn't have any imravol so we jumped them into the chute and painted it with burnt oil..
    Mad... Up to last year we had been clear for about 15-20 years, I know there was allot about on many farms last year.... Funny the way it came back..

Will need to get the Imravol and wash them ASAP to keep it at bay...
    Thing is, there is 8 in the pen and 25 in total in the shed... Shared drinkers, open barriers.... I was planning on drenching any with visible signs and then only drenching the heads of the rest... Should be enough.. Another few weeks till they get out..

vet told us today its a waste of time putting oil on them now as what ever was in the oil before, that kills the ringworm is no longer in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

bbam wrote: »
    Feeding up earlier and noticed a few heifers in a pen with the first signs of ringworm...Didn't have any imravol so we jumped them into the chute and painted it with burnt oil..
    Mad... Up to last year we had been clear for about 15-20 years, I know there was allot about on many farms last year.... Funny the way it came back..

Thing is, there is 8 in the pen and 25 in total in the shed... Shared drinkers, open barriers.... I was planning on drenching any with visible signs and then only drenching the heads of the rest... Should be enough.. Another few weeks till they get out..

hi bbam,

it's a complete pain alright. I'd get a couple of bottles Imaverol e22 a bottle in coop in Monaghan, my vet was more like 30/32 and a knapsack and spray the lot of them... and disinfect the hell out of barriers/ pens etc

we sell a few lm bulls each year, I wouldn't recommend a bull under 20 months for 40 cows , also would advise not letting the bull run with them for the first 2 weeks, .. let him in to serve and then remove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

bbam wrote: »

Had the same a few weeks back. i went to the vet and he knew the ones i was talking about. he said just to leave them. he said it can depend a lot on the age and condition of the animal. it didnt spread outside the one pen (unusually) and all cleared up ok. let them out last week so at least that will hopefully clear up any chance of it spreading. they all seem grand now.

• Advertisement

we sell a few lm bulls each year, I wouldn't recommend a bull under 20 months for 40 cows , also would advise not letting the bull run with them for the first 2 weeks, .. let him in to serve and then remove[/Quote]

Its turning out to be a right pain tbh. I had intended letting a young bull with about half of them and using ai on the best of them with the heifers but personal circumstances have changed that make it imposible for me to watch them myself and my ould lad can't turn them in and out so that's why there's the bull dilema

moved a couple of loads of ewes and lambs to the out farm to day, anyone in sheep will know loading ewes with young lambs at foot is not an easy task

over the winter we narrowed & extended the loading race and installed a backing gate with different anchor points in the handling unit, it worked a dream, took me over 35 years but i think i have got right at last ;)

snowman707 wrote: »
    moved a couple of loads of ewes and lambs to the out farm to day, anyone in sheep will know loading ewes with young lambs at foot is not an easy task

over the winter we narrowed & extended the loading race and installed a backing gate with different anchor points in the handling unit, it worked a dream, took me over 35 years but i think i have got right at last ;)

Herding mice at a crossroads comes to mind :D:D:D

snowman707 wrote: »

kind of the same yesterday letting out sukler cows up the road, could have done with an extra pair of hands as 2 of the calves could only walk backwards:cool:

I spent nearly 40 mins yesterday trying to get a cows head through the chute gate. In the end I had to give up before one of got a heartattack. I wanted to dose her with Zanil. You'd think I was trying to kill her. I did them all last July with it , no problem.
    Anyone got any tips? It's an old style gate like those on a calving gate, not the automatic type. I tried lifting her tail and everything. Even poured some zanil on her feed. She wouldn't eat it because of the smell. Christ I had sweat pouring out of me for a finish. A red limmy, very quiet but stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

I spent nearly 40 mins yesterday trying to get a cows head through the chute gate. In the end I had to give up before one of got a heartattack. I wanted to dose her with Zanil. You'd think I was trying to kill her. I did them all last July with it , no problem.
    Anyone got any tips? It's an old style gate like those on a calving gate, not the automatic type. I tried lifting her tail and everything. Even poured some zanil on her feed. She wouldn't eat it because of the smell. Christ I had sweat pouring out of me for a finish. A red limmy, very quiet but stubborn.

If you put her in again for a few days and give her some feeding at the head of the crush. She will get used to it and come in no bother. when you think shes happy with the situation move the nuts outside the crush gate so as she will have to put her head out to get them. You will have to be quick with closing the gate though. if she realizes what you are doing and gets her head back out, you'll never again catch her. Especially if she is one of the older smarter cows!! Worked a dream for us before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

anyone looking for the big wheely bins for storage they are on dd now under other farming.

put a bar behind her, put a halter or nose piece on her and pull her through... and stay calm:rolleyes: other think would be to give her a jab of a needle or prod of something in the butt

Thanks guys,
    I have tried a bit of meal just outside the gate but no go. Maybe I will have to try her over a few days. I had the bar behind her too and prodded her aswell. I think a halter and pull her through might be the easiest.
    A lot to be said for these pour-ons eh? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

vet told us today its a waste of time putting oil on them now as what ever was in the oil before, that kills the ringworm is no longer in it

Lead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement