Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know burnt oil isn't approved by everyone but it has worked for us in the past, 3 years ago I had a 6 month old suckled calf that got a few spots and the oil cleared it up in a few weeks.
    It didn't work last year but it was a heavier contamination. I will follow with the imravol but I wanted to get started with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

whelan1 wrote: »
    put a bar behind her, put a halter or nose piece on her and pull her through... and stay calm:rolleyes: other think would be to give her a jab of a needle or prod of something in the butt

I put a halter on her and tied her head up to the top side bar. Did her then, no problem. Thanks for the tip.
    I didn't want to be beating her and roaring like a lunatic. She's a grand quiet cow and I want to keep her that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    I put a halter on her and tied her head up to the top side bar. Did her then, no problem. Thanks for the tip.
    I didn't want to be beating her and roaring like a lunatic. She's a grand quiet cow and I want to keep her that way.
    have come across very stubborn cows and bulls when you are ringing them, alot of them are not fooled by meal:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

sprayed some paddocks for docks today- will do silage ground tomorrow

004hwn.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

we sprayed on sunday, used pastor, what did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Jesus but these long days are just fantastic :D

we sprayed on sunday, used pastor, what did you use?

eagle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Thanks guys,
    I have tried a bit of meal just outside the gate but no go. Maybe I will have to try her over a few days. I had the bar behind her too and prodded her aswell. I think a halter and pull her through might be the easiest.
    A lot to be said for these pour-ons eh? :mad:

why not just use a hook drencher:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

bbam wrote: »
    I know burnt oil isn't approved by everyone but it has worked for us in the past, 3 years ago I had a 6 month old suckled calf that got a few spots and the oil cleared it up in a few weeks.
    It didn't work last year but it was a heavier contamination. I will follow with the imravol but I wanted to get started with something.

I had a calf with a bad dose of it. injected her with ringvac and nearly completly gone after 2 weeks

Don't have one. :D Thinking of getting one now though.

• Advertisement

that would be too easy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bodacious wrote: »
    hi bbam,

it's a complete pain alright. I'd get a couple of bottles Imaverol e22 a bottle in coop in Monaghan, my vet was more like 30/32 and a knapsack and spray the lot of them... and disinfect the hell out of barriers/ pens etc

Picked up 2 bottles from the Vet yesterday, €23 each. Perhaps they're all not a bunch of money grabbing so and so's after all..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

My vet reckons don't bother with it unless your selling in mart. It'I clear up itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

2 more calfs this morning sucked and all when we found them :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I spent nearly 40 mins yesterday trying to get a cows head through the chute gate. In the end I had to give up before one of got a heartattack. I wanted to dose her with Zanil. You'd think I was trying to kill her. I did them all last July with it , no problem.
    Anyone got any tips? It's an old style gate like those on a calving gate, not the automatic type. I tried lifting her tail and everything. Even poured some zanil on her feed. She wouldn't eat it because of the smell. Christ I had sweat pouring out of me for a finish. A red limmy, very quiet but stubborn.
    I had the same problem with a milker. Quiet cow but wouldnt put her head through the gate. So i climbed over the gate and caught her head and dosed her. Then she bucked and headbutted me, knocked me off the crush and down on the ground, dazed. I looked like i was after going a few rounds with Rocky Balboa. OH reckons it improved my looks. Sympathy is in short supply around here:(.

Not going to do that again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've a sheltered paddock near the yard, use it for calving. Had 8 springers in there last night. Got up this morning, had 3 calves, all ok, a blonde heifer, and 2 heifers had aubrac calves one bull, one heifer. Nice start to the day:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Can someone tell me how i go about registering a pedigree friesian bull calf. Have never done it before. Was looking at the ihfa website and it said something about upgrading herd and pedigrees, do i need to do this, dont milk record. And how much does it cost. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

bbam wrote: »

I had a calf with a bad dose of it. injected her with ringvac and nearly completly gone after 2 weeks

did you not find that very expensive? And did you give second injection?

I vaccinated 4 with it and in fairness with it but the lad that had a few spots got 4 ml I think and it brought it out worse on him
    had to revert back to Imvarol wash with him

I dunno. it worked. I was able to vacinate the others (2x2ml) and didnt have to do multible washes with Imvarol. only one 4ml dose to the one with ring worm. It was the worst case I ever saw and it cleared up lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I dunno. it worked. I was able to vacinate the others (2x2ml) and didnt have to do multible washes with Imvarol. only one 4ml dose to the one with ring worm. It was the worst case I ever saw and it cleared up lovely

thats what i gave this lad and the problem ballooned, lesions doubled.. mixed results i suppose Bog!!

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    thats what i gave this lad and the problem ballooned, lesions doubled.. mixed results i suppose Bog!!

time is the cheapest healer. got it on about 50 replacement heifers in december. when the journal were out shooting in january i took the bad ones out and left them in collecting yard it was that bad- by second week in feb it was all cleared up

vet said not to treat them as i was only wasting my money-stress is the main cause he said

sunlight is the best job. The longer days will sort it out. If this calf wasnt a pedigree I wouldnt have bothered my backside

sunlight is the best job. The longer days will sort it out. If this calf wasnt a pedigree I wouldnt have bothered my backside

mine are all pedigee- three fresh calvers for carnaross next thursday

make sure ye wear gloves when handlling ringworm animals... i lost my hair when i was young with ringworm, it grew back but is very light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Is anyone else getting pissed off with these advertisements dressed up as threads appearing on the smart phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bizzum wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting pissed off with these advertisements dressed up as threads appearing on the smart phones?

boards.ie was bought by someone a while back (can't remember who) so now it needs to make money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

just do it wrote: »
    boards.ie was bought by someone a while back (can't remember who) so now it needs to make money!

I wonder what the advertising fees are like. Reilig/Rovi any good deals;)

I wonder what the advertising fees are like.

Are you thinking of selling a trailer?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Let a batch of weanling heifers out yesterday evening. Had them in a well fenced gathering area for about an hour until they had let off steam. They got a few rattles of the mains (nice snap off it ;)) so I felt they were ready for the field I wanted to put them in :rolleyes: .... but oh no... two of them decided they liked the other side of the fence more... and the rest followed!

Now they were still on our own land and nobody died, but there's nothing that boils my blood more than cattle breaking through elec fence! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

had a dry cow calved in the cubicle shed , decided iwould leave them there til the end of milking, calf was gone, no sign at all.... fecker got under the gate and went with the milkers , who are in the furthest field away:o anyways he's back now and fast asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

had a dry cow calved in the cubicle shed , decided iwould leave them there til the end of milking, calf was gone, no sign at all.... fecker got under the gate and went with the milkers , who are in the furthest field away:o anyways he's back now and fast asleep
    follow the boobs :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Muckit wrote: »
    Let a batch of weanling heifers out yesterday evening. Had them in a well fenced gathering area for about an hour until they had let off steam. They got a few rattles of the mains (nice snap off it ;)) so I felt they were ready for the field I wanted to put them in :rolleyes: .... but oh no... two of them decided they liked the other side of the fence more... and the rest followed!

Now they were still on our own land and nobody died, but there's nothing that boils my blood more than cattle breaking through elec fence! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They would need more than an hour to settle, at least a day and a night imo, they can be a nightmare. Also morning would be better time to move them, they'l have more chance to get their bearings before dark

Less likely to get pneumonia too when let out early.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can't do the tune but

'Oh it's such a perfect day'

For registering calves online:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Bizzum wrote: »
    Are you thinking of selling a trailer?:D

No :rolleyes:.

But id be interested in advertising a bit of accountancy work for farmers.

Special price boss :D

• Advertisement

Whats the story regarding the new rules for tb testing where if you are bounding someone who has 2 or more reactors that your herd is automatically restricted until you have a clear test. The auld lad is bulling because we are bounding 17 different people. Is it just proposed or is it in already?

vet was telling us aload of stuff that is proposed, seems mad.... also you are not supposed to treat animals when testing, like sometimes we would lepto etc when testing, this is not allowed, only on welfare grounds can you treat them at test- if its a life or death situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Whats the story regarding the new rules for tb testing where if you are bounding someone who has 2 or more reactors that your herd is automatically restricted until you have a clear test. The auld lad is bulling because we are bounding 17 different people. Is it just proposed or is it in already?

you cannot be restricted unless you have reactors or if you sold stock recently that subsequently went down, or killed out with lesions

however the dept may decide to spot test you and in this case if you have an inclusive animal then you are automatically locked if you are bounding a restricted herd

different dvo's and indeed different dept vets within a dvo interpretive the rules differently

snowman707 wrote: »
    you cannot be restricted unless you have reactors or if you sold stock recently that subsequently went down, or killed out with lesions

however the dept may decide to spot test you and in this case if you have an inclusive animal then you are automatically locked if you are bounding a restricted herd

different dvo's and indeed different dept vets within a dvo interpretive the rules differently

It was always that way around here snowman. Thats what I read in this weeks journal, on page 9.

Had this monster yesterday :rolleyes:

He must be a good bit premature because he is tiny and the cow never sprung, not a tint of milk, anything I can do to get her to come into it?

photo-36.jpg

• Advertisement

some dairy nuts and good grass

some dairy nuts and good grass

There wont be grass here for a while yet whelan!! Gave her about 4kg today and yesterday and shes getting 2kg with the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Do i have to become a member of the ihfa to register an animal?

Finno59 wrote: »
    Do i have to become a member of the ihfa to register an animal?
    i would reckon so, give them a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Went to bring in the ewes today for lambing. There due in about 10 days time. Hogget lambed last night but lost the lamb. Lamb was small but fully formed. Bad start. Wouldn't mind but if it was tonight at least the lamb but have been in and would have had a chance.

Hopefully it gets better from here on in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

sea12 wrote: »
    Went to bring in the ewes today for lambing. There due in about 10 days time. Hogget lambed last night but lost the lamb. Lamb was small but fully formed. Bad start. Wouldn't mind but if it was tonight at least the lamb but have been in and would have had a chance.

Hopefully it gets better from here on in!

Always starts bad, that's what I tell myself each year. Keep the chin up as problems usually come early, doubt would have had a chance 10 days early.

Had two prolapsed here Friday first in 3 years don't think 1 is going to make it. 2 lambed today 4 lambs hope they don't really get going until sat/sun as not off work till then. Theyre due Saturday usually don't get really going till couple of days later!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

In a typical year I've always found the problems come early, then it gets a lot better quickly, just part of the job IMO.

Had a really bad night last night calving. Cow and heifer calving together. Cow calved ok but calf would not drink even though full of life. Had to stomach tube him.
    Had to use jack on heifer, heavy pull. Got calf out but had to rescusitate him. Got a heartbeat first and then one heavy breath. Heifer wouldn't get up then. She went beserk then and I had to tie her down with halter, to get calf away. Had to take beastings then from cow and tube heifers calf. What a night. At least all still alive.

Had a really bad night last night calving. Cow and heifer calving together. Cow calved ok but calf would not drink even though full of life. Had to stomach tube him.
    Had to use jack on heifer, heavy pull. Got calf out but had to rescusitate him. Got a heartbeat first and then one heavy breath. Heifer wouldn't get up then. She went beserk then and I had to tie her down with halter, to get calf away. Had to take beastings then from cow and tube heifers calf. What a night. At least all still alive.

Big ordeal on a heifer this calving lark! If you can get a day or two behind them you'll be flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well done, Pak - sounds like you'll get a result out of a bad night i.e. 2 cows and calves. Fingers crossed.

How's the heifer now? Has she gotten up and settled down?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement