Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Most folks with any sense are at the moment being priced out of stock in the ring... 300kg weanlings making €3.5 >€3.7 a kg.. Lads are buying them to run to grass for the summer, some I know of with borrowed money and rented land which I presume is common..
    Can anyone enlighten me as to where the profit in these animals is going to be??
    There seems to be no end to the money to buy them, I just can't see where it's going..

My BIL had a cow lost a calf and bought a €550 suck to run on her. Now I know lads like to keep numbers up but it just didn't make financial sense to me... That suck has essentially cost €1000 at 4 weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Is it true that banks are throwing monay at people to buy stock? Heard that guy on The Saturday Show last week say that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is it true that banks are throwing monay at people to buy stock? Heard that guy on The Saturday Show last week say that.

No idea- but the prices marts are paying at the moment are a very very welcome change from the past few years...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »
    Any pics?? ;) How old is he? Fair play to him for holding out

Think hes a 6 year old muckit. Dont have any but if I am down at his place over the next few days I will get one.

pakalasa wrote: »

My sister works in the AIB in Meath and said that they are just throwing money out to farmers for anything, dairy expansion is drawing huge loans with what I could tell were business plans showing milk at 30c and above for the foreseeable future!
    Business in stocking loans is also being pushed hard and is way up on previous years.
    It's allot of borrowed money at a time when prices are very high, very risky business. I know there is an argument that when your in the business full time what else can you do, however many seem to be exercising little caution. It's as if the building boom has already been forgotten!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Best to be squeezing out the best deals you can with your own money! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

bbam wrote: »
    My sister works in the AIB in Meath and said that they are just throwing money out to farmers for anything, dairy expansion is drawing huge loans with what I could tell were business plans showing milk at 30c and above for the foreseeable future!
    Business in stocking loans is also being pushed hard and is way up on previous years.
    It's allot of borrowed money at a time when prices are very high, very risky business. I know there is an argument that when your in the business full time what else can you do, however many seem to be exercising little caution. It's as if the building boom has already been forgotten!!

Someone is going to lose somewhere. If there is one rule about price rises, its that everyone can't win. The more its artifically pumped, the bigger the fall in the end.

reilig wrote: »
    Someone is going to lose somewhere. If there is one rule about price rises, its that everyone can't win. The more its artifically pumped, the bigger the fall in the end.

The shamful thing is that their "sales" targets are just as aggressive as during the boom, it's just that they are being directed to chase the business from farming rather than building. Things just don't change in this country.

We were hoping to buy another few heifers to summer graze but I just can't justify the spend. Rather well spend less on fertiliser and try to increase the margins on our existing stock to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

reilig wrote: »

Theres an old saying that states "If there's anything we have learned from history, its that we've learn't nothing from history" - which I think just about sums up the Goldfish like memory of a signficant number of people in this country when it comes to such issues:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

bbam wrote: »
    It's as if the building boom has already been forgotten!!

And sure why not, didn't Brian Lenihan guarantee that no bank in this country would ever pay for it's bad business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Theres an old saying that states "If there's anything we have learned from history, its that we've learn't nothing from history" - which I think just about sums up the Goldfish like memory of a signficant number of people in this country when it comes to such issues:(

Yabadabadoooo....Spend! Spend! Spend! ...now where's me lotus??? :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

While we are on the subject of banks.........:D

AND THEY WONDER WHY THE COUNTRY IS BANKRUPT????

> Subject: Fw: Barclays Bank - This is true
    >
    >
    > You will all love this, the brains behind the service centres
    >
    > Note to self: 'Cancel credit cards prior to death!
    >
    > Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die!
    > This is so priceless and so easy to see happening - customer service,
    > being what it is today!
    >
    > A lady died this past January, and Barclays Bank billed her for February and
    > March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and
    > Then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had
    > Been £0.00, now is somewhere around £60.00.
    >
    > A family member placed a call to Barclays Bank:
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'I am calling to tell you that she died in January.'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been..'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to
    > the credit bureau, maybe both!'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Excuse me?'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Did you just get what I was telling you . . . The part about her
    > being dead?'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'
    >
    > Supervisor gets on the phone:
    > Family Member:
    > 'I'm calling to tell you, she died in January.'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'No, I'm her great nephew.'
    > (Lawyer info given)
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Sure.'
    > ( fax number is given )
    >
    > After they get the fax:
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Our system just isn't set up for death. I don't know what more I
    > can do to help.'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing
    > her. I don't think she will care.'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Would you like her new billing address?'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'That might help.'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > ' Finchley Memorial Cemetery , Great North Road, Finchley, London Plot Number
    > 1049.'
    >
    > Barclays:
    > 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'
    >
    > Family Member:
    > 'Well, what the **** do you do with dead people on your planet?'.............

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

400 Cows milked and in for the breakfast at quarter to eight, only problem is i have to go and feed them now! In real good form today, you honestly can't beat this farming craic.

On another note, what percentage will a bank lend for purchasing stock??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Another new arrival just in, lovely wee blue off a full sister to the one that was sectioned. Same bull too! Calves are so similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

Karen112 wrote: »
    Another new arrival just in, lovely wee blue off a full sister to the one that was sectioned. Same bull too! Calves are so similar!

which bull are you using karen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

whelan1 wrote: »
    got the last oocide disenfectant buckets that my vet had today, its off the market:mad: only thing for disenfecting and killing the crypto bacteria in a shed

Hi Whelan,
    I think I read somewhere that steam cleaners can kill these spores. I'm not completely sure about this but it would be good if it was true as I'd say those disinfectants weren't taken off the market for no reason.
    Have you ever heard if steam cleaners are up to the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Upstream wrote: »
    Hi Whelan,
    I think I read somewhere that steam cleaners can kill these spores. I'm not completely sure about this but it would be good if it was true as I'd say those disinfectants weren't taken off the market for no reason.
    ye, will have to do more research in to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Upstream wrote: »
    got the last oocide disenfectant buckets that my vet had today, its off the market:mad: only thing for disenfecting and killing the crypto bacteria in a shed

Hi Whelan,

Steam cleaners will only help with hygiene around crypto but won't kill off the spores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

ye, will have to do more research in to it

Was talking to the oul lad about this , and he was saying formalin (formaldehyde) sprayed in a knapsack can also kill it... I dunno what sort of mixture to water , if any, is required.

• Advertisement

Went to look at a 5 year old limo bull yesterday. Man was selling him because he has heifers kept out of him. He was bringing him to the mart today so went down to the mart with the auld lad and said we'd have a stab at him. Thought he would be bought for a bit less than 2k. The auld lad went to €2450 on him :eek: Just as well he didnt get him!! You'd get a lovely young bull for that many bucks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Went to look at a 5 year old limo bull yesterday. Man was selling him because he has heifers kept out of him. He was bringing him to the mart today so went down to the mart with the auld lad and said we'd have a stab at him. Thought he would be bought for a bit less than 2k. The auld lad went to €2450 on him :eek: Just as well he didnt get him!! You'd get a lovely young bull for that many bucks!!

id say not too easy get young bulls cheap this year redzer, you would surely pay 2 for any sort of nice bull id say nearly, young bull always a bit of a gamble as well

limo_100 wrote: »
    which bull are you using karen?

http://www.bova-ai.com/Pictures/BeefSires/Westside-Bob-1.jpg

We bought about 50 straws in his testing year, he was then put down I think due to a broken bone in his foot.

Oh the joys of dehorning calves today, I was the one behind so (again) got kicked a lot, Had to laugh at our sectioned blue calf though. He's only just the bare 3 weeks and was up to my thigh in the pen. (I'm 5'7)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Oh the joys of dehorning calves today, I was the one behind so (again) got kicked a lot, Had to laugh at our sectioned blue calf though. He's only just the bare 3 weeks and was up to my thigh in the pen. (I'm 5'7)

The joys is right !!
    Glanbia were doing a great deal out my way a couple of months ago on De-horning crates . I bought one for good price , and now dont know myself when it comes to dehorning . Saves alot of hardship............... and sore legs:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

So am I :D

First day yet this year that I (almost) didn't have to wear wellies in the yard. This weather now will dry up the place well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

id say not too easy get young bulls cheap this year redzer, you would surely pay 2 for any sort of nice bull id say nearly, young bull always a bit of a gamble as well

Tbh I didnt think he was as good as the bull we have at the moment but we have a heap of heifers out of him. I want to ai them and the auld lad reckons I will be too busy at silage come bulling time :rolleyes: so im as well pleased if you get me. I would always be trying to improve the quality some bit. Bit of fight in the auld lad though, mart went quiet when he threw 150 on one bid trying to throw your man off :o Thought we would get him handy enough because our friend in kilshanny had the dealers stopped but there you go sure.

hate the hour change, i know it will be bright this evening but an hour less in bed is crap:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

hate the hour change, i know it will be bright this evening but an hour less in bed is crap:(

early morning and a sore head??????

Sleep is for the weak :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

johngalway wrote: »
    i am very weak so:D

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    early morning and a sore head??????
    have a blocked ear and a pain in the side of my head, not drink related:(

Just think of the holiday Whelan, when it starts to p*ss rain over here and you're sipping on a cocktail in the sun:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

sun is shining here, grand day for me to hit the road spraying. for the last week even though its beautiful weather its being windy here

I'm in tears laughing here. Beautiful sunny day and just looked out the window and my neighbour here has just let all the friesians out. Suddenly this bolt of fur runs straight through the herd and causes chaos. It was only my bloody cat deciding that he would "play" with them!! (He's half bengal cat so seems to have no sense of fear, either that or he took after me:D) But seeing a cat just bemuse an entire herd of cows was so funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

johngalway wrote: »

checked the sheep last night at 12.30... 2 ewe lambs might lamb before morning ,put them into individual pens, put the clock forward so got to bed at 2, got up at 5.15, a single and a double , single was strong but ewe was mismothering and dancing away , twins were weak and needed to be tubed, sorted them and on to the other shed , 5 lambs and 3 mothers fighting over them in loose pen, (thought we might 1 here but didn't bank on the other 2 ) matched them up as best we could,

only barely had the cows milked when the milk lorry came at 8, though we might get a bit of leeway with the hour, but you Pat is never more than 10 minutes either way

but on a glorious morning like this isn't it just fabulous to be out and about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Sorry to hear that whelan, is it the side of the head that the OH sleeps at?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I'm in tears laughing here. Beautiful sunny day and just looked out the window and my neighbour here has just let all the friesians out. Suddenly this bolt of fur runs straight through the herd and causes chaos. It was only my bloody cat deciding that he would "play" with them!! (He's half bengal cat so seems to have no sense of fear, either that or he took after me:D) But seeing a cat just bemuse an entire herd of cows was so funny!

Cat's are gas and have a great sense of devilment. I've a great picture from a few years ago of my dog with his head stuck in a pipe trying to get at a cat. The cat at this stage had come out the other side and was sitting on top of the pipe licking it's paw nonchalantly looking down at the stupid dog:D

just do it wrote: »
    Cat's are gas and have a great sense of devilment. I've a great picture from a few years ago of my dog with his head stuck in a pipe trying to get at a cat. The cat at this stage had come out the other side and was sitting on top of the pipe licking it's paw nonchalantly looking down at the stupid dog:D

Mine is either completely fearless or very clever. He's now sitting on the chimney . Had a good laugh with my mother on Friday, she introduced me to the "fat, neutered cat" that she has been feeding for a few weeks. Upon one look, I had to break the news that said cat was female and very pregnant. Cue panicked mum and looking for a shoebox (as if the bloody thing was about to shoot them out of her right at that minute!) So now the conundrum begins, was it my cat that got her before he got neutered or another one. Ohhhh mothers.....once they have one, they get maternal about everything.
    Anyway in a more farming side of things, does anyone know why some calves have really strong horns at a few days old & others that are two weeks have barely any? Just thinking about that while doing them yesterday.

Now I see the value of an opinel knife larger than size seven.

What am I at?

Cutting spear thistles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fine sized pheasant flew into window of kitchen today, must have broke his neck, was dead outside..bizarre

• Advertisement

fine sized pheasant flew into window of kitchen today, must have broke his neck, was dead outside..bizarre

Hunting section under Sports/Shooting has plenty of recipes ;)

i gave in and went to the doctor on call, i have an ear infection, wanted to get it sorted as we are flying on wednesday! €60 to doc and €12 to chemist:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

i gave in and went to the doctor on call, i have an ear infection, wanted to get it sorted as we are flying on wednesday! €60 to doc and €12 to chemist:o

enjoy the break-you always seem to jet setting-imust be doing something wrong:)

stanflt wrote: »
    enjoy the break-you always seem to jet setting-imust be doing something wrong:)
    februaury of last year was the last time we went abroad... kids cant wait

Just thinking about it now the first ten cows that have calved to our own bull have had ten heifers, strange, does the bull have anything to do in determining the sex of the calf because we had a lot more heifers than bulls last year aswell. Maybe its just chance....

Just thinking about it now the first ten cows that have calved to our own bull have had ten heifers, strange, does the bull have anything to do in determining the sex of the calf because we had a lot more heifers than bulls last year aswell. Maybe its just chance....

I don't know about the bovine part but males in humans always determine the sex of the offspring.

Some afternoon :D

Borrowed the quad again, two local donkeys have destroyed a road into part of Dads land. Can't get a car in there now and it's a good step in to see the 50 sheep there, who need feeding. So I was taking 6 25kg bags at a time and some feed buckets. All went grand, fantastic day, bit of a tan, bugs in my teeth :pac:

Then she cut out just as I finished at the end of the road. Wouldn't start again and an unfamiliar light was on. Rang the owner to say I'd broke down :o

He came down just before dark, had some steel plate and a 4 inch thick plank to go over the hole and the hi-ace was away :D He wasn't a bit worried about the sound of cracking timber or the bangs, scrapes or load re-arranging by the bad road :pac:

So we get to the end of the road and I say go to the top of the hill, cos you can't really go farther, well, you can, but you won't be coming back any time soon.

Off up he goes, past the top of the hill and.... Bang!

Oh noes :rolleyes:

Here we are, at the end of a buggered road, night coming, van stuck, quad not starting :D

Miraculously after a bit of fiddling the quad comes to life and he zooms off up the hill, hits the van, and drives by it at 45 degrees through a furze with his shoulder to the side of the van.

How many points do you have on your license again, says I :D

Now for something I never seen before. A loaded to the gunnels hi-ace, front passenger wheel off the "road" and hung up on a rock facing downhill in semi-dry muck... He shows me a knot and attached it to the hitch of the van and quad.

"Pull me out!"

Ya what? :eek:

Into 4wd I go and into reverse goes the van and out she comes easy as pie! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there. Watching him turn then was like watching someone drive blindfolded on a bar of soap, some craic.

"Anytime ya want her again just call!!" And off he goes.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

blue5000 wrote: »
    So am I :D

First day yet this year that I (almost) didn't have to wear wellies in the yard. This weather now will dry up the place well.
    Is that with heels as well Blue?:D

Karen 112 is allowed but im not so sure you are;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You can look this up on www.icbf,com for the different AI bulls, under the Calving Traits tab. I was wondering the same before, as I seemed to be getting a lot of bulls from the same bull. Answer is about 51% male is the norm. For example some well known bulls as follows;
    MBU - Total 13,487 births, 51% male
    CF52 - Total 12,165 births, 52% male
    HKG - Total 9,331 births, 50% male

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Driving past Ardfinnan, Clonmel today and see a fellow mowing a field for silage!! It's the 25th of March!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement