Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just thinking about it now the first ten cows that have calved to our own bull have had ten heifers, strange, does the bull have anything to do in determining the sex of the calf because we had a lot more heifers than bulls last year aswell. Maybe its just chance....

He could have only one ball working

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Just thinking about it now the first ten cows that have calved to our own bull have had ten heifers, strange, does the bull have anything to do in determining the sex of the calf because we had a lot more heifers than bulls last year aswell. Maybe its just chance....
    pakalasa wrote: »
    You can look this up on www.icbf,com for the different AI bulls, under the Calving Traits tab. I was wondering the same before, as I seemed to be getting a lot of bulls from the same bull. Answer is about 51% male is the norm. For example some well known bulls as follows;
    MBU - Total 13,487 births, 51% male
    CF52 - Total 12,165 births, 52% male
    HKG - Total 9,331 births, 50% male

Ya the bull decides sex of calf. Its either an X or Y chromosome that fertilizes the cow's egg which is X. Too x's makes a heifer and X and Y makes a bull.:cool: 10 heifers is a lot, he must have a higher ratio of Y cells to X cells unlike AI friesians :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Talking to someone who said they saw silage being drawn on the road last week in Cork. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

150 round bales made on a wet farm in cavan yesterday. the man baling reckoned he only ever brought the baler out for repairs at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »
    He could have only one ball working

If it was that simple I would say there would be a lot of lads taking a ball of their friesans!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it always evens out if you have a run of heifers this year you'll have bulls next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it was that simple I would say there would be a lot of lads taking a ball of their friesans!!

Ah..... but which one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah..... but which one? :D

''Eanie, meanie, miney, moe'' I believe is the formula used to decide which one is to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

5live wrote: »
    Is that with heels as well Blue?:D

Karen 112 is allowed but im not so sure you are;)

:D
    I think my fathers eyes raised heaven the other morning when I arrived to dehorn the calves in a dress and tights. Not a scrap of muck on me. He, on the other hand got covered. It's all about the dodging!

EDIT- And a good meal bag behind that calf to stop them ripping tights with kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

I dont know about the bull Redzer , but its said when thawing straws for A.I if you thaw around 35degrees your more likely to get a bull calf , and 37degrees a heifer .... Obviously not a certainty , but its ment to boost your chances......;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Finno59 wrote: »
    Ya the bull decides sex of calf. Its either an X or Y chromosome that fertilizes the cow's egg which is X. Too x's makes a heifer and X and Y makes a bull.:cool: 10 heifers is a lot, he must have a higher ratio of Y cells to X cells unlike AI friesians :mad:

My limited understanding of genetics is there are a finite number of pairs of chromosomes XY, 23 pairs in humans, which to reproduce split randomly.
    This would suggest to me that having a run of ten heifers will over time average out.
    I have heard all sort of theories about producing bull calves or heifer calves but I think the stats point to a rough 50/50 split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just had one of those feel good moments.Lambing in full swing at mo,more mature ladies lambing outside ,hoggetts in shed.Noticed a ewe outside on last round around 7pm making her bed.Had a hunch tonight when checking shed around 11:30pm just to take quick spin out the field...came on same ewe with slime out...nothing happening,got her caught...first lamb coming backways,second one had head way down...both very far through but alive.Went back up for quad trailer,put them in shed and gave them colostrum....good when ya save an odd one.

a neighbour came over yesterday looking for a missing black bullock that he had let out on saturday evening.... got a call last night at 9pm that there was a black animal on the motorway:eek: now where the bullock was between saturday night and last night is a mystery... got my dad to go over to give a hand , the guards had the traffic stopped completely and they where trying to load him the last i heard at 10.20 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

came home last night from a day out in muckross park to find a new full bottle of trodax had burst ontop of fridge must be sunlight anyway lifted down bag paper and it spilled everywhere oh hasn't t spotted it yet and my hands are yellow like fake tan .............s..t Will hit the fan when I get home........next time I think I Will put it med press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Karen112 wrote: »
    :D
    I think my fathers eyes raised heaven the other morning when I arrived to dehorn the calves in a dress and tights. Not a scrap of muck on me. He, on the other hand got covered. It's all about the dodging!

EDIT- And a good meal bag behind that calf to stop them ripping tights with kicks!
    Oh no!!!! I just got a picture in my head of blue5000 in a dress and high heels dehorning calves and its lodged there. But he is using the plastic bag too so its ok:D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Finally got pic up. Silage cutting 25th March 2012 near Ardfinnan, Clonmel.
    'Twould do your heart good!
    http://yfrog.com/mma73qej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Finally got pic up. Silage cutting 25th March 2012 near Ardfinnan, Clonmel.
    'Twould do your heart good!
    http://yfrog.com/mma73qej

And he's not even a dairy farmer!!

He usually cuts the headlands of his silage fields early (not sure why) but never this early

Tipp Man wrote: »
    And he's not even a dairy farmer!!

He usually cuts the headlands of his silage fields early (not sure why) but never this early
    I usually cut headlands and wrap it in fields that I intend to cut hay off. It makes it easier to turn.
    If that's what he's doing, he must not expect any re-growth before June/July:D
    OH was driving, I made her stop so I could get pic.
    You live out around there? I'm other side of Clonmel.

Oh no!!!! I just got a picture in my head of blue5000 in a dress and high heels dehorning calves and its lodged there. But he is using the plastic bag too so its ok:D

AHAHAHAHAAHAHA. I just burst out laughing at work.

I usually cut headlands and wrap it in fields that I intend to cut hay off. It makes it easier to turn.
    If that's what he's doing, he must not expect any re-growth before June/July:D
    OH was driving, I made her stop so I could get pic.
    You live out around there? I'm other side of Clonmel.

Yeah not too far at all from there.

You must surely be related to PF??

• Advertisement

Yeah not too far at all from there.

You must surely be related to PF??
    About as close as is genetically possible, he's my dad:)

About as close as is genetically possible, he's my dad:)

Was thinking so!! - but didn't realise ye had land

Some good land where you were driving yesterday

Was thinking so!! - but didn't realise ye had land

Some good land where you were driving yesterday
    Excellent land. Plenty of it in tillage too!
    South-facing, so sun always pushes growth:)
    I'm part-time farming, but recession in property biz allows more time for farming...:rolleyes:

Excellent land. Plenty of it in tillage too!
    South-facing, so sun always pushes growth:)
    I'm part-time farming, but recession in property biz allows more time for farming...:rolleyes:

Ye the tillage fellas round us would be some of the best in the country, the ardfinnan area would be well known to have consistently the best yields- which is a pain as they are more than prepared to pay for rental land

Things bad in Clonmel alright - half the non-residential property in the town must be for sale or to rent - and no takers i can imagine

And very little to no land being sold from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Hi all. I've 30 x 2.5 year old heifers. most of them are 2 months gone in calf. I vaccinated them all for BVD before they were bulled. a local expert maintained to me that it woluld have been better to waituntil now to do them . I argued with him that it is too late to vaccinate once they,d gone in calf but he reckoned you could vaccinate up to 3 months in calf.
    Needless to say this debate took place over a gallon of portar :).
    Clarification please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

So i sold a few cattle and went to the bank this morning to lodge cheque and pay off the last of my milktank loan. And as i have a new manager i wanted to test the waters and see if she knew her stuff and what a bit of building i have in mind would cost in repayments. My 4th manager in 2 years so i am getting used to sounding them out:rolleyes:.

So i pay off the loan and enquire as to the repayments. Cant tell you, sez she, i am being transferred and you will have to speak to the new manager.:confused:

So 5 managers in 2 years:mad:. Is this a record or am i being very hard on bank managers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi all. I've 30 x 2.5 year old heifers. most of them are 2 months gone in calf. I vaccinated them all for BVD before they were bulled. a local expert maintained to me that it woluld have been better to waituntil now to do them . I argued with him that it is too late to vaccinate once they,d gone in calf but he reckoned you could vaccinate up to 3 months in calf.
    Clarification please?

I don't know if its right or wrong, but i always vaccinate them before they run with the bull.

Clarification please?

I think the local expert may have been basing his argument on the fact that you are advised not to vacc within a couple of weeks of breeding. I think it's more to do with the stress associated with handling as much as anything else that may effect conception rates.
    We try and do them a month or 6 weeks before the bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

My understanding - The danger period for BVD is the first 3 months of pregnancy. Ideally they should be done before the breeding season, but doing them in the first 3 months is better than, not doing them at all. If that makes sense.
    I did mine last year, on the instructions of the VET, while some of them were in calf. This was because I left it too late , when I asked the VET initially, rather than he advising me to do them at that stage of pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sh1t my big secret is out now, hope you're seein me in a blue dress with a respectable knee length hemline:o:o:o:o:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I'm trying to register calves online and dept website is fooked. Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with AIM.

PS I am wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a jumper+pierre cardin socks for anybody with a bad imagination:D

Bizzum wrote: »
    I think the local expert may have been basing his argument on the fact that you are advised not to vacc within a couple of weeks of breeding. I think it's more to do with the stress associated with handling as much as anything else that may effect conception rates.
    We try and do them a month or 6 weeks before the bull.

Sorry folks. Im my head I was talking about Lepto, but I see everyone else was talking about BVD. This heat must be getting to me!

blue5000 wrote: »
    PS I am wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a jumper+pierre cardin socks for anybody with a bad imagination:D

Going commando Blue? :D

Bizzum wrote: »
    Going commando Blue? :D

As you said yourself the heat is getting to you:D

And the jeans are semi-crotchless too, Will have to be careful of the papparazzi when I'm getting out of the jeep/ off the tractor:eek:

A meal bag might be handy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Sh1t my big secret is out now, hope you're seein me in a blue dress with a respectable knee length hemline:o:o:o:o:o

If you're wearing one of mine you're fooked so!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Where do i find a pedigree cow's genetic dam number?

Finno59 wrote: »
    Where do i find a pedigree cow's genetic dam number?

Should be on her blue card, unless she is ancient

Just calved a heifer, jack slipped twice, she went dow in crush,calfs head was swollen, was barely breathing when we got him out.... now has his head up and she is standinf... i am bet though:o

whelan1 wrote: »
    Just calved a heifer, jack slipped twice, she went dow in crush,calfs head was swollen, was barely breathing when we got him out.... now has his head up and she is standinf... i am bet though:o

If I were you whelan Id replace that jack straight away. Once they start slipping its the warning sign to fcuk it out , because as true as eggs are eggs , it will let you down when you most need it :( .
    And your better off with no jack than a bad jack , because at least then you wont try and calve the tougher ones and get caught out .
    Hope the heifer and calf go on for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Isnt farming great when things are going well and the weather like this.
    Had three sets of triplets lambs over the past few days and most ewes are having twins. Weather is so good I can let them out after a day (not the triples yet) Even let a big single born this morning out this evening too. Its healthier and shed is a bit full.
    Farm full of grass.

Hope it continues this way.:D

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    Isnt farming great when things are going well and the weather like this.
    Had three sets of triplets lambs over the past few days and most ewes are having twins. Weather is so good I can let them out after a day (not the triples yet) Even let a big single born this morning out this evening too. Its healthier and shed is a bit full.
    Farm full of grass.

Hope it continues this way.:D

I was out checking the ewes last night at 3.30 in a t-shirt . So mild its great. No foxs around your way i take it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

honda quads are really gone pi** poor as of late.
    have a 420 that is only 9 months old, and the front wheel bearings are gone in both sides, as well as the track rod ends.
    seat cover split open for no reason as well.
    had a 420 for 2 years previous to this one as well, and nothing but trouble with it:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Richk2012 wrote: »
    I was out checking the ewes last night at 3.30 in a t-shirt . So mild its great. No foxs around your way i take it .

the problem with the warm weather now, is i dont have a hat on during the day, they are great for fixing up dodgy bits of electric wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dar31 wrote: »
    the problem with the warm weather now, is i dont have a hat on during the day,

Doing a bit of fencing today and forgot the hat = big sore red head:(

spent a whole hour after washing a bull for sale this evening down on my knees scrubbing the todax of f
    the fecking floor tis some sh. to stain

jerdee wrote: »
    spent a whole hour after washing a bull for sale this evening down on my knees scrubbing the todax of f

Try red hair dye. Looks like a psychopath went on a spree in the bathroom!

Karen112 wrote: »

Try red hair dye. Looks like a psychopath went on a spree in the bathroom!

looks like my fingers have been smoking a hundred fags a day ........and I don t smoke......

looks like my fingers have been smoking a hundred fags a day ........and I don t smoke......

I've covered myself with the stuff before while injecting a cow and she leapt while I was injecting her. Ended up looking like I was jaundiced!
    Another time I was helping a man vaccinate on the chutes at work and managed (somehow) to vaccinate myself! Cue trip to the doctor 2 days later when my finger was swollen like a balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

have a 420 that is only 9 months old, and the front wheel bearings are gone in both sides, as well as the track rod ends.
    had a 420 for 2 years previous to this one as well, and nothing but trouble with it:mad::mad:

If something is crap once, dont go back looking for more misery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

When I was looking up quads I did see a lot of people say to steer clear of the 420's. There also seems to be a lot of them for sale second hand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement