Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

johngalway wrote: »
    When I was looking up quads I did see a lot of people say to steer clear of the 420's. There also seems to be a lot of them for sale second hand.

+1

I was advised to keep away from the 420.

I have my quad Honda 500 for 12 months this week. It has been pretty reliable and I have 400 hours on it and it has done some seriously heavy work. The old man said last night, after he came in from licking a 10 acre meadow with it, that we really couldn't live without it now. Its a big change for a man who wouldn't drive it for the first 3 months that we had it.

Only problem I have with it is that it needs a job done on the rear brakes as they just won't stop it dead anymore - they will hold it on a hill though. I checked the wear mark on the brakes and it looks like the rear brake shoes are well worn. Ordered a new set yesterday and studied the manual. it doesn't look too hard to replace them. There's even a video on how to do it on youtube. I'm going to take a chance and try to do them myself at the weekend. Anyone ever done it and know if it's a difficult job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Karen112 wrote: »
    Another time I was helping a man vaccinate on the chutes at work

Do you work in a mart? Was it a lad doing them before he brought them home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

When I was looking up quads I did see a lot of people say to steer clear of the 420's. There also seems to be a lot of them for sale second hand.

honda's used to be great bike. and i thought the first 420 was just a once off, the current one just reinforces the fact that they are a piece of c!@p.
    there is 6500km on this one but they usually lasted til well over 11000km before parts started to wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you work in a mart? Was it a lad doing them before he brought them home?

Yup I do:D

It was usually the Northern buyers who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

dar31 wrote: »
    honda's used to be great bike. and i thought the first 420 was just a once off, the current one just reinforces the fact that they are a piece of c!@p.
    there is 6500km on this one but they usually lasted til well over 11000km before parts started to wear

The fella I borrow the quad off has a Yamaha, great bike. It's got Ultramatic written on the side of it and that's all I know from here. He was showing me when you put weight on the back tray how the tow bar comes UP, but he said on the new ones when you do that the tow bar goes DOWN, which makes no sense to me anyhow.

I think the 500 Hondas are supposed to be alright.

My view on them is get one with a bit of poke and only use it when it's needed. I've read a lot of people complaining about how much fuel they use, but sure that's only used when the bike is turned on, walk more I reckon :D They're a great tool, but I think some think of them as armchairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Any pics?? ;) How old is he? Fair play to him for holding out
    Got a pic of him today, he was actually 1150kg, by sylvain...might sos him for a few heifers off his shorthorn cows next september ;)

photo-59.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sold 2 fr cows straight from parlour, €800 and 750 .. happy enough, now off to pack:cool:

whelan1 wrote: »
    sold 2 fr cows straight from parlour, €800 and 750 .. happy enough, now off to pack:cool:

Where ya headin?

Where ya headin?
    benalmadena , spain flight at 7.30 am

• Advertisement

Have a good time :D

Have a great time. Make sure you take some pictures and post them here to show those of us who have never been on a sun holiday what its like!!

reilig wrote: »
    Have a great time. Make sure you take some pictures and post them here to show those of us who have never been on a sun holiday what its like!!
    sure its the same temperature as here:) took a stinky cleanings from a cow earlier , think i better have a bath as i will smell the plane out:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nice one...
    Did ya get one of those fancy IP cameras so you can watch the milking over the net ??:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Entitlements:
    Thinkin of selling mine. Have 25 x 460e and might buy back cheaper ones. Auctioneer said he can get me 1.8 times value less 3.5% commission. .. but if I buy back 25 at 160 its plus another 3.5% for him. Is it just me being tight or are these bucks creaming it ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Entitlements:
    Thinkin of selling mine. Have 25 x 460e and might buy back cheaper ones. Auctioneer said he can get me 1.8 times value less 3.5% commission. .. but if I buy back 25 at 160 its plus another 3.5% for him. Is it just me being tight or are these bucks creaming it ?

Apart from the lump sum, 7k odd, what do you think is the advantage?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    Apart from the lump sum, 7k odd, what do you think is the advantage?
    he will get the lump sum and buy in a lower value one instead ,have a few euro left over,and when it goes flat rate payment it will rise again to the 270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

leg wax wrote: »
    he will get the lump sum and buy in a lower value one instead ,have a few euro left over,and when it goes flat rate payment it will rise again to the 270
    If. Lots of debate still going on at the minute including letting national governments decide how to distribute it once a national envelope is fixed and also a percentage reduction in bigger entitlements to give a rise to lower entitlements eg 500+ euro entitlements getting 20 % off, 400+ 10% off and under 100 plus 20% under 200 plus 10%.

And dont forget to factor in CGT on the profits from the sale of entitlements, 25% iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Entitlements:

Entitlements:
    Thinking of buying more & selling the low value ones I have :D

I have low value ones - and I am thinking I would be better off buying more - to come close to the 270euro / Ha mark...

So - ye're all smart people... what should I do? ;):)

"Hello, is this Las Vegas?" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

yeah the CG tax will be a bummer but beacuse I only farm part-time the single payment is treated as income and I cant write off expenses against it like I would against the farm profits on livestock etc. (not that theres feck all profit on them either!)
    So Ive got to pay tax on the SP at PAYE rate........therefore lower value entitlements might be a better way to go... for now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Da owld buck let anti-biotic in to the milk tank, all the milk had to be dumped. :( Cant live with them, cant live without them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i think my cows are going to burst but im not sure is it with milk or grass or just plain content:)ment

Got a text this morning off my Father so say a cow had calved a lovely red flecky blue heifer. Lovely I replied, hope it's as good as last years.
    No, says he, this is a breeding heifer and I'm keeping her......the heifer a bare 2 hours old.......
    Why, says me. Well, she's not well built behind was the reply.
    Wasn't meant to go home the wekend but need to see this heifer now, the one that can be guaged at 2 hrs old:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

Got a text this morning off my Father so say a cow had calved a lovely red flecky blue heifer. Lovely I replied, hope it's as good as last years.
    No, says he, this is a breeding heifer and I'm keeping her......the heifer a bare 2 hours old.......
    Why, says me. Well, she's not well built behind was the reply.
    Wasn't meant to go home the wekend but need to see this heifer now, the one that can be guaged at 2 hrs old:o

what kind of cows are you breeding the blues of to get them red?

limo_100 wrote: »
    what kind of cows are you breeding the blues of to get them red?

Had a good laugh at the irony of your username:D
    Limousin/ch crosses but we bought a lot of straws from Westside Bob in his first year. He then broke a bone in his foot and had to be put down. He's well known for producing red blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

......we bought a lot of straws from Westside Bob in his first year....

Do you store them in your own flask or does you AI company store them for you?

Who does your AI?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Do you store them in your own flask or does you AI company store them for you?

Who does your AI?

Our AI man stores them for us. The bull may still be freely available for all I know, he was taken out of the AI books after the year so may not be widely known.

I won't mention his name but he's one of the main ones around south Leitrim, he uses a mix of Bova & Dovea.

Our AI man stores them for us. The bull may still be freely available for all I know, he was taken out of the AI books after the year so may not be widely known.

I won't mention his name but he's one of the main ones around south Leitrim, he uses a mix of Bova & Dovea.

We used a lot of SFL from him in the past and he usually brought red calves and was easy calving.

We used a lot of SFL from him in the past and he usually brought red calves and was easy calving.

Yea, he threw red calves for us too, always off the LM/CH cross cows though, never off the pedigree lims:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Da owld buck let anti-biotic in to the milk tank, all the milk had to be dumped. :( Cant live with them, cant live without them.
    one or two days milk in the tank?
    how are you for quota?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

one or two days milk in the tank?
    how are you for quota?

quota filled since monday AFAIK co-op are on or under (arrabawn), not worried in either case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

Had a good laugh at the irony of your username:D
    Limousin/ch crosses but we bought a lot of straws from Westside Bob in his first year. He then broke a bone in his foot and had to be put down. He's well known for producing red blues.

i more used to the black ones karen nt unlike urself im sure;) sure ya no what they say once you go black u never go back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

+1

I was advised to keep away from the 420.

I have my quad Honda 500 for 12 months this week. It has been pretty reliable and I have 400 hours on it and it has done some seriously heavy work. The old man said last night, after he came in from licking a 10 acre meadow with it, that we really couldn't live without it now. Its a big change for a man who wouldn't drive it for the first 3 months that we had it.

Only problem I have with it is that it needs a job done on the rear brakes as they just won't stop it dead anymore - they will hold it on a hill though. I checked the wear mark on the brakes and it looks like the rear brake shoes are well worn. Ordered a new set yesterday and studied the manual. it doesn't look too hard to replace them. There's even a video on how to do it on youtube. I'm going to take a chance and try to do them myself at the weekend. Anyone ever done it and know if it's a difficult job?

Jees Reilig,

You are knocking use out of the quad alright!!!, ive mine 3 years now and only put 350 hrs on her, ive had to replace front bearings last year and complete rear axle rebuild on rear last month but its a great machine, ive the older 2003 FOREMAN 400 but its very clean. Think they are meant to be more robust than the newer 420's too.

The dads are gas, its goes from another unnecessary fancy toy/gadget to being essential very quickly.

Them youtube videos made in the states are brilliant, shows complete rear bearings being changed, start to finish. I along with my brother in law order all the parts from the U.S. (much cheaper) and get local mechanic dude to fire them in, he is brilliant though

Is there someone we know in the Journal this week? :rolleyes::)

Whoooooo???:eek:

And limo......nope, I like mine red! (usually in July they turn that colour:p)

Whoooooo???:eek:

Oh I couldn't say. But I think I'm on the right track ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

yup, karen check out the farm buildings page..... not saying anymore.... but if your familiar with holstein friesian bulls... you'll cop who we're talkin bout

Have another cow with the blister out, playing the waiting game and getting tired :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'd say you are alright! Finally the big time..........Onwards and upwards from here:)

Have another cow with the blister out, playing the waiting game and getting tired :(

You popping them out all sides red!! Lovely pics too, great that's it's so dry out but it's cold enough tonight out

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'd say you are alright! Finally the big time..........Onwards and upwards from here:)
    Feck it, never thought to buy the journal today!!
    Bodacious wrote: »
    You popping them out all sides red!! Lovely pics too, great that's it's so dry out but it's cold enough tonight out
    If they were all as good as they look in the pics ;) I make sure not to get their bad side. Tis chilly alright, I went down the field at about 40 miles an hour on the quad and I came in home shaking!!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Feck it, never thought to buy the journal today!!
    If they were all as good as they look in the pics ;) I make sure not to get their bad side. Tis chilly alright, I went down the field at about 40 miles an hour on the quad and I came in home shaking!!

It's cold for sure. Would you have many houses near where you calve the cows? I'd go out at night but generally take the jeep and walk the rest of the way, quad awful purr to it at like 4am, I'd be afraid I'd piddle off the neighbours!!

It's cold for sure. Would you have many houses near where you calve the cows? I'd go out at night but generally take the jeep and walk the rest of the way, quad awful purr to it at like 4am, I'd be afraid I'd piddle off the neighbours!!

No neighbours close enough to piss off. Were in the back of beyonds you'd say :) Shes after producing 2 legs, i'll give her another half an hour and hopefully she will have the deed done of her own accord.

:D........I spotted that myself, but didn't want to say. Anonymity and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Where abouts in the journal?

Me know nothin' :D

• Advertisement

I was looking at it myself and I was thinking - Jeez, that crush and handling facilites look familar.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I was looking at it myself and I was thinking - Jeez, that crush and handling facilites look familar.......:rolleyes:
    Meh...better pics in a different thread;). Is he going to get his own column now, his second time in 3 months in the journal:D

So much for anonymity!! :D

5live wrote: »
    Meh...better pics in a different thread;). Is he going to get his own column now, his second time in 3 months in the journal:D

Mightn't be a bad idea. Someone would want to take the crayons off some of them so called journalists

The ould fella had his first lamb today, a ram lamb, doesn't know where he came from. Wasn't impressed when I cast aspersions on the morals of some of his ewes :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement