Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bodacious wrote: »
    The dads are gas, its goes from another unnecessary fancy toy/gadget to being essential very quickly.

Well you're not wrong there!

We were moving feed today to top up barrels around the farm. I was told not to get the quad, himself would take the 135. I made up a little platform for on the lift arms and tied it up, put 10 25kg bags on it, secured them and away he went.

All went grand until he got to one awkward spot on the old track, it's all grown over with creeping gorse, there are some rocks sticking up that had to be gone around plus it's steep in spots.

Dad got out of the cab and we had a look around for the best route through that spot. Found a way and just as he left his hand on the tractor door away she went downhill and into the gorse :eek: We reckon the brake hadn't engaged properly. I don't like to think what might have happened if he'd been half way up into the cab.

That bit of drama over we forged ahead and stopped at the first spot, where he turned off the tractor forgetting we had to jump start it :D She's still there now :pac: I carried the stuff the rest of the way.

All in all he reckoned the quad is a better job, I nearly dropped :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not quite farming but I taught my auld lad how to play solitaire on my mothers laptop........big mistake. Now they have competitions for best score:pac:

And it's his birthday on Sunday, April Fools Day. Any suggestions?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Karen112 wrote: »
    Not quite farming but I taught my auld lad how to play solitaire on my mothers laptop........big mistake. Now they have competitions for best score:pac:

A deck of cards.......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Had a couple of calves of the limousin bull HCA this week, they arrived only 6 and 7 days after due dates. He seems to have an unusually short gestation for a limousin, so far anyway. Very easy calved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

tanko wrote: »
    Had a couple of calves of the limousin bull HCA this week, they arrived only 6 and 7 days after due dates. He seems to have an unusually short gestation for a limousin, so far anyway. Very easy calved too.

What are they like? I've had a few by the easy calving FL22 - easy calving alright but they are narrow, tall and lean. Gestations with FL22: 284d, 298d, 281d and 278d. The heifer that had the 298d gestation last year is now in calf to FL25 and is 302d and counting!!!:eek:

This year the AI man used HCA for the first heifer when he advised me against using the gene ireland straws I'd ordered. Since then I went looking at bulls for the heifers and have settled on the Simmental bull HUZ. He hasn't got them yet so I've used ... a shorthorn LYJ! I'm looking for docile cattle and replacements hence the selections. There is alot of LM breeding in the stock so I wanted to mix in other breeds and took gestation length into consideration in my selections as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

a laptop with internet access

I'm sure he's curious to know what you're up to on boards.ie :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was just having a look at the Sligo AI site. A few special offers available there, in the BB, Lim and Sim bulls. 10 straws with 2 free on Hatcliffe Dancer for example. Or if Sim is your thing 10 straws with 4 free on a new bull Chyanhal Amos.
    Anyone looking for a few straws it could be worth a punt!
    http://sligoai-com.doodlekit.com/home/sligo_ai_services_beef_sires

All the same suggestions you received at Christmas except for the one you got him!;)

snowman707 wrote: »
    a laptop with internet access
    I'm sure he's curious to know what you're up to on boards.ie :rolleyes:

hHahhaah. I think it may well be worth a couple of hours teaching him how to use the met eirann website. So rather than guessing, he will know if it's coming. Patience needed today so.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

tanko wrote: »

yeah I,m curious 2 know what your HCA calves are like too. I AI'd a good few heifers with him. They are due in August. The AI man recommended him. At 34e a pop plus 12euor for repeats he'd wanta be good.
    I did another 8 with sligo AI HCF at 30 a pop plus repeats free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i'm back , just in time for milking... had a great time... will read through posts after milking:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    i'm back , just in time for milking... had a great time... will read through posts after milking:cool:

Hope ye all had a good time, hopefully things at home were under control too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Quad ran out of petrol when I was going down the field, awful annoying :mad:

whelan1 wrote: »
    Welcome back and hope you'd a great time.

Who was looking after them while you were gone, the guy you were unhappy with a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Avian flu breakout in Cork!

Hide yo ducks,
    hide yo chickens!!

Hide yo ducks,
    hide yo chickens!!

Hide yo wife?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hide yo ducks,
    hide yo chickens!!

I wonder will their be a media circus over this as there was over Swine Flu - which turned out to be about as deadly as the common cold:rolleyes:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wonder will their be a media circus over this as there was over Swine Flu - which turned out to be about as deadly as the common cold:rolleyes:

I am falling about laughing at your username here:D

I am falling about laughing at your username here:D

Just mind he don't sneeze on ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    Just mind he don't sneeze on ya :D

Don't worry - I'm getting my flu shots tommorrow:pac:

Ford / NH 7740 , thinkin of buying one . Its 1996. any experiences out there either positive or negative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Ford / NH 7740 , thinkin of buying one . Its 1996. any experiences out there either positive or negative ?

Also if anyone knows anything about the 6640 it would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

C0N0R wrote: »
    Also if anyone knows anything about the 6640 it would be nice!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056587783

Few bits here that might help ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I got this month's Classic Tractor. There's an article on them in it, if it's any good to you. Pic on front cover. (it's a 40 series anyway! almost certain it's a 7740)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Quad ran out of petrol when I was going down the field, awful annoying :mad:

No reserve switch? Or was she on that already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

It's a 7840 on the front cover, looking damm well too so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Does anyone here have experience of ro magnola cattle?

reilig wrote: »
    No reserve switch? Or was she on that already?

Already on im afraid :(

Don't know if it's really farming but by jaysus it made me laugh!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/02/meanwhile-at-the-smithfield-horse-fair/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Just had 2 c sections in the last week:mad: both bbs 1 stq and 1 edj 1st dam was a big lim 2nd one was average sized charolaois. Both calves coming backways. Does anyone else think blues backways are always bad news???? Both calves (2 bulls) are decent sized but not massive i think they would have calved no problem if presented properly,i don't think the cow can cope with the fine boned legs rthen the big fat ass all of a sudden:confused: 3 cows left to calve all incalf to limousin czh 2 have 302 days with them already and no sign for tonight.
    BTW never had a c section to bb before and have been using them since the days of wec kic jat etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Just had 2 c sections in the last week:mad: both bbs 1 stq and 1 edj

Just in from a section now. limo twins out of a blue first thing this morning. then to get a call to come home this evening to a springing heifer in trouble. a big limox bb heifer. she went stone mad so ended up putting two shots of a sedative into her. still didnt calm her. eventually pulled a monster of a limo with too many blue traits out the side.
    Vet said she had an extremely narrow pelvis even though she had massive width on the back end. so another one for the hook.

He must like uniforms;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/02/meanwhile-at-the-smithfield-horse-fair/[/QUOTE]

I believe this is how the phrase 'Get up the yard' originated:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

The rain has landed at last!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1chippy wrote: »
    .......Vet said she had an extremely narrow pelvis even though she had massive width on the back end. so another one for the hook....
    That's why you should always avoid BB breeding on the cow side of things.

Muckit wrote: »
    I got this month's Classic Tractor. There's an article on them in it, if it's any good to you. Pic on front cover. (it's a 40 series anyway! almost certain it's a 7740)

Thanks for that. What a day, just in from feeding and the hailstones are after beatin the lugs off me....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks for that. What a day, just in from feeding and the hailstones are after beatin the lugs off me....:eek:

What part of the country are you in wes? It's been sunny here all morning, but a nippy breeze all the same. No hailstones though.

Big change weatherwise from last week. All cattle out here after clear herd reading on Saturday ;)

just in from a discussion group meeting on my farm...feeezing, hailstones and some snow... we didnt walk too far:)

They may have started something of a trend of animal related embarrassments:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9180123/Police-smash-car-window-to-rescue-toy-dog.html

Muckit wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in wes? It's been sunny here all morning, but a nippy breeze all the same. No hailstones though.

Big change weatherwise from last week. All cattle out here after clear herd reading on Saturday ;)

Co Sligo.......along the coastline...it would eat you alive out there today.

• Advertisement

Just wondering did anyone get their sfp forms yet. No sign of ours yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Redzer,

Yeah, got it on Friday I think it was.

Arrived this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

arrived yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hail falls in the midlands followed by sunshine. Cattle all sitting at the ditches and i left the suck calves in the shed today.

today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hail falls in the midlands followed by sunshine. Cattle all sitting at the ditches and i left the suck calves in the shed today.
    `

We nearly turned cattle out last Saturday.. glad now we didn't, hail, sleet and snow showers here and a biting wind..

Saturday coming is the day now... Into the yard in the morning for a few hours and then heels and tails up down the fields.. Can't wait, it's one of the happiest sights of the year..

The weather station is showing a wind chill of -6.3C here at the moment, can't imagine what it will be tonight :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

bbam wrote: »
    `

We nearly turned cattle out last Saturday.. glad now we didn't, hail, sleet and snow showers here and a biting wind..

Saturday coming is the day now... Into the yard in the morning for a few hours and then heels and tails up down the fields.. Can't wait, it's one of the happiest sights of the year..

The weather station is showing a wind chill of -6.3C here at the moment, can't imagine what it will be tonight :eek:

Love your 2nd paragraph, gits in the UK say cattle are happier being indoor 24/7 x 365

bbam wrote: »

I'll let you know later, I've to wait out on the side of a hill for a lamp shy lamb killing fox :(

• Advertisement

snowing:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement