Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

spoke to man today who 2 years ago brought a set of fr bull twins and brought them home when only getting €25 , sold them last week for €1050... he was glad he brought them home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

whelan1 wrote: »
    snowing:rolleyes:

Are ye getting much? There was a few flurries here earlier but nothing much thankfully.

not sticking but a good few showers, put cows in again tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Working today and was up and down the yard sorting problems etc. Dress & short sleeves. I think people thought I was mad. But I just don't feel the cold.

On another note, just set up a new website for work. Mods would it be ok to post the link, it is for the livestock industry after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    Are ye getting much? There was a few flurries here earlier but nothing much thankfully.

Mini Blizzard here ATM - feel sorry for all the young livestock that came into the world in recent weeks during the fine spell. Must be an awfull shock to the system - hypothermia, pneumonia etc. could rear their ugly head over coming weeks for these stock as the outlook is now very unsettled and often chilly for the next 10 days at least:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mt cranium did say it was a possibility last week, I found it hard to believe. Not much growth here today, but no snow.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

blue5000 wrote: »
    Mt cranium did say it was a possibility last week, I found it hard to believe. Not much growth here today, but no snow.

The E and NE got the worse today - it looks rough for the whole country next week though and quiet unlike many recent Aprils that saw the best of the years weather. I'm looking at the positive though and hoping this means a decent summer;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

not sticking but a good few showers, put cows in again tonight

we milked early this am as we were going to the mart and the cows didn't want to go out,
    was no silage in and no body free to feed them so we let them out,

heavy hail and biting wind this evening so we put out some good bale silage for them to night and the bitches are lined up to go out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'll let you know later, I've to wait out on the side of a hill for a lamp shy lamb killing fox :(

Broke back mountain connemara style :D

Birdnuts wrote: »
    hypothermia, pneumonia etc. could rear their ugly head over coming weeks for these stock as the outlook is now very unsettled and often chilly for the next 10 days at least:(

hellyers_nov_2011-78-low.jpg

Ya it's pretty bad here. Have to drive the cattle back into the slatted shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Muckit wrote: »

Who's that with you on the horse?:D

Just put a 2nd calver into the calving pen. She has the blister out. She's now at 306 days and in calf to FL25. She calved OMA no bother as a 1st calver at 298d so fingers crossed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Tribesmen are a hardy lot Muckit:)

just do it wrote: »
    Who's that with you on the horse?:D

Ah no, that's not me.... that's the oul lad and the brother......I'm there in the background closing the electric fence! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

scc 64 on the docket today, never remember it going under 100 before

heading back out, handled a cow 20 min ago and was greeted by four feet, back into the work clothes.

ffs redzer vander and paks will hardly top this one:P

Broke back mountain connemara style :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

no.

:p

Saw damn all anyway. Pretty cold out there, not sure if there'll be frost here but it's borderline. I'd not be surprised if there's ice on car windows in places in the morning.

Ah no, that's not me.... that's the oul lad and the brother......I'm there in the background closing the electric fence! :D

Saw a clip of Scotland on the news earlier and it looks similar (with the obligatory car parked safely in a ditch).

dar31 wrote: »
    handled a cow 20 min ago and was greeted by four feet, back into the work clothes.

Well dar, how did it go with the twins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

knocked 7 trees at the end of Feb to make room for the calf shed and went to dig up the roots & stumps yesterday evening and my little 3t digger was better off parked in the shed. Ended up calling a lad with 12t hitachi. Hoping he comes before saturday.

Least i got to burn all the bushes last saturday night week and once the stupms are up im ready to rock put in levels and pour concrete saturday after easter , weather permitting.

• Advertisement

Just put a 2nd calver into the calving pen. She has the blister out. She's now at 306 days and in calf to FL25. She calved OMA no bother as a 1st calver at 298d so fingers crossed;)

Bad news I'm afraid. Big calf that took a pull but very disappointed to lose it. Its heart was going at birth, and I kept it going with CPR for ~20mins, but he never took a breath. And all for the want of a head rope. I took it out of the container, put it on, and with hand pressure only - snap! I haven't used it in 2 or 3 years and it has gotten very frail. Once I'd the calf's head out he came no problem. Cow fine so just angry with myself really:(.

The only good thing I've fostered the 18day old calf I mentioned from the heifer that wouldn't let her suck (posted a picture of her on the photo form a while back).

The joys of farming:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Was setting sugar beet yesterday and it was the coldest, hardest day I have ever sown a seed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bad news I'm afraid. Big calf that took a pull but very disappointed to lose it. Its heart was going at birth, and I kept it going with CPR for ~20mins, but he never took a breath. And all for the want of a head rope. I took it out of the container, put it on, and with hand pressure only - snap! I haven't used it in 2 or 3 years and it has gotten very frail. Once I'd the calf's head out he came no problem. Cow fine so just angry with myself really:(.

The only good thing I've fostered the 18day old calf I mentioned from the heifer that wouldn't let her suck (posted a picture of her on the photo form a while back).

I'm sorry for your loss, I read your earlier post and when I saw 306 and FL25 I thought you'd have bother he hard enough calved.

Head rope ? For holding the cow is it? Excuse my ignorance if it's for pulling the calf

sorry for the loss, a neighbour lost their 8 year old son on monday, i was talking to someone this morning and they where saying, we are always giving out about loosing calves etc but when you see what other people have to deal with you just move on, could be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

snowman707 wrote: »
    we milked early this am as we were going to the mart and the cows didn't want to go out,
    was no silage in and no body free to feed them so we let them out,

heavy hail and biting wind this evening so we put out some good bale silage for them to night and the bitches are lined up to go out :rolleyes:

There's no pleasing wimmin.

Not liking the look of this weather at all.

Have sprayed off for reseeding, worried now we might have been premature.

Sad but I'm not as worried about the reseed as I am about the "told you so" I'll get from a certain, older, gentleman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

That is so sad.

lad from the area i moved into died yesterday. He was knocked down in mullingar about 4 years ago on St Stephens night. He was about mid 20s. Went to that rehabiliation clinic in dublin and then to a nursing home. Very sad.
    sorry for the loss, a neighbour lost their 8 year old son on monday, i was talking to someone this morning and they where saying, we are always giving out about loosing calves etc but when you see what other people have to deal with you just move on, could be worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Bodacious wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss, I read your earlier post and when I saw 306 and FL25 I thought you'd have bother he hard enough calved.

Head rope ? For holding the cow is it? Excuse my ignorance if it's for pulling the calf
    For going around the calfs head to bring it evenly with the chest when pulling a big calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.....Its heart was going at birth, and I kept it going with CPR for ~20mins, but he never took a breath. And all for the want of a head rope....:rolleyes:

On the head rope - the Vet that writes for Journal was saying that he uses an ordinary rope just going back over the head, behind the ears, with both ends loose. He just pulls then on both ends together.

Just wondering how did you do the CPR? I revived a calf 2 wks ago by blowing up a nostril with the mouth held close and the other nostril covered. Inflate the lungs then and allow to deflate with slight pressure on the side. I got a heartbeat first and then one breath. I was just chancing my arm really, but it worked. I know there are risks etc with Lepto and all that.

5live wrote: »

For going around the calfs head to bring it evenly with the chest when pulling a big calf

Thanks 5live,

I've never seen it done and have pulled a food few big lads, must look it up.. I would only ever move calving ropes above knee.. I'm not sure where I'd attach the head rope to jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

pakalasa wrote: »
    On the head rope - the Vet that writes for Journal was saying that he uses an ordinary rope just going back over the head, behind the ears, with both ends loose. He just pulls then on both ends together.

Just wondering how did you do the CPR? I revived a calf 2 wks ago by blowing up a nostril with the mouth held close and the other nostril covered. Inflate the lungs then and allow to deflate with slight pressure on the side. I got a heartbeat first and then one breath. I was just chancing my arm really, but it worked. I know there are risks etc with Lepto and all that.

I used to inflate them with an oxygen cylinder, always thought they're was a great kick in it, often took a whiff myself after a hard calving.....well thats what I told students here one day when they asked what it was for!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Thanks 5live,

I've never seen it done and have pulled a food few big lads, must look it up.. I would only ever move calving ropes above knee.. I'm not sure where I'd attach the head rope to jack
    You can use an ordinary rope with a knot at one end and tie another knot to suit the length of calf. Just remember to untie the second knot after you are finished as it can be kinda hard to do after a month or so:o. Yup, been there:pac:

I had to sit a theory test today for the EB licence for towing the cattle trailer. I have the practical now to do. Some crack to pull a trailer I've been pulling for years!

Thanks for replies folks. I'll pen a proper reply tomorrow evening...

No reply from Mods, I've my new website up and running www.mayosligomart.com

I'd appreciate any feedback on what farmers would like to see on a website from a mart.

Karen112 wrote: »

I'd appreciate any feedback on what farmers would like to see on a website from a mart.

Had a quick look, only suggestion would be a calendar of events, eg special sale or pedigree sale, maybe have them in as a drop box for each month? Otherwise it's fine, like the cup a tae on the counter for the boss!

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Had a quick look, only suggestion would be a calendar of events, eg special sale or pedigree sale, maybe have them in as a drop box for each month? Otherwise it's fine, like the cup a tae on the counter for the boss!

I thought the Sales Catalogue section did that part of it. I draw up a six monthly plnner, next six months will be drawn up within the fortnight:pac:

I thought the Sales Catalogue section did that part of it. I draw up a six monthly plnner, next six months will be drawn up within the fortnight:pac:

LOL at cup of tae :D

Lot numbers, what was in the lot, and how much it sold for.

I see on one site the high prices, and having being at some of the sales I know those numbers were plucked from thin air cos they weren't right. I know that cos I was one of them selling and got more € than was put up on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Had a look, and to be honest its not great in fairness. Are Blacknight hosting the site ? if so why not let them do it (and if they did do it then enough said!!)
    Anyway why not post it here
    for honest and good advise

I see on one site the high prices, and having being at some of the sales I know those numbers were plucked from thin air cos they weren't right. I know that cos I was one of them selling and got more € than was put up on site.

I use the sales top prices & prices per kilo, then do the sales prices off them. I don't agree with putting prices up, I say as sold.

• Advertisement

Grecco wrote: »
    Had a look, and to be honest its not great in fairness. Blacknight are hosting the site for it why not let them do it (and if they did do it then enough said!!)
    Anyway why not post it here
    for honest and good advise

Sorry, I did ask Mods and got no reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sorry, I did ask Mods and got no reply.

You didn't ask me? :D;)

I like the sales reports. It will be a useful resource to point people to when they enquire about cattle prices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

something like this

http://www.farmersforum.ie/data/marts/ballymahon_mart_cattle_sheep_29_mar_2012_1333094213.pdf

gives a far better view of the sale

@ Karen, I am in no way being critical but you asked for opinions & TBH, I think the homepage looks a bit in the past don't know if it's the colour scheme or not,

I have a very small interest in a company that sell on line and since we updated our website we found we are getting much more interest & enquiries

Some crack to pull a trailer I've been pulling for years!

Congrats lad. Don't forget about the pushing either ;) Keep that trailer tidy reversing around the corner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Saw an odd sight yesterday. In atkins in fermoy they had a brand new four furrow non reversible plough.

In what situation would someone choose to spend the money on a new conventional plough?

Thanks for the feedback lads, I know something doesn't look right about the homepage, sure that's why I asked ye:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

..I've my new website up and running www.mayosligomart.com ...
    Is this your project, Karen? Best of luck with it.

One bit of advice is to keep it updated. Very annoying to see a website like this that wasn't updated for a year or so. It always seems dead then.

As for layout, I'm a big fan of Donedeal. Something very simple and easy about the way it's layed out. I think people prefer picture icons with text too, rather than just text.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is this your project, Karen? Best of luck with it.

One bit of advice is to keep it updated. Very annoying to see a website like this that wasn't updated for a year or so. It always seems dead then.

As for layout, I'm a big fan of Donedeal. Something very simple and easy about the way it's layed out. I think people prefer picture icons with text too, rather than just text.

Yea it's just a bare bones really at the moment but it's something for me to work on every now and again when I'm free for a bit.

I'm definitely with you on the simple and easy layout, some (alot) of farmers I meet can barely google.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Yea it's just a bare bones really at the moment but it's something for me to work on every now and again when I'm free for a bit.

I'm definitely with you on the simple and easy layout, some (alot) of farmers I meet can barely google.

Best of luck with it:) We used to run a mart in Fethard Co Tipperary, but closed it in Dec 2008. A mart is a great place to work in. You get to meet all sorts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thanks for the feedback lads, I know something doesn't look right about the homepage, sure that's why I asked ye:D

You`ve made a good start though and its a great project to do. Have a look here at what is possible, and not all that hard to do

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement