Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

JohnBoy wrote: »
    know nowt about the practicalities of breeding, why do you say the bulls wouldnt be fit for heifers?

does that imply they'd be fit for cows?

is it just the cows are more relaxed or something?
    they won't be big enough till the back end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Is this a result of the "set-aside" or green belt policy that Ireland , UK and USA had for some time. Allowing plots of land to return to nature and get a Gov't subsidy for that?

One word for it - neglect!

Marginal land needs attention and good grassland management. Over the last 20-25 years such land is now farmed by part-time farmers as these farms are usually not of a sufficient size to allow for full-time farming. Part time farmers for the celtic tiger era were earning plenty off farm and had scarce time for farming the land. It paid to farm subsidies, not land!

To consistently keep rushes at bay is an annual job and requires a love of farming. Now that cattle prices are good and productivity is being rewarded I'd hope alot of these marginal land is brought back into productivity without the efforts the Bull McCabe had to go to!:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    had a cow very slow this morning, she calved last friday, gave her a bottle of calcium in crush while waiting on vet and vet gave her 2 more bottles and some phosphorousand some chanatol and pain killers.her temperature was very low.. i gave her another bottle in vein after dinner....went back up half an hour later and she was dead:eek:

Sorry to hear it Whelan, especially as you'd attended to her in good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

simx wrote: »
    anyone at carnaross mart lately? what are 300kg char/lim bullocks making?

went to the calf section and a few bulls like u said on mnday for 750approx

cut timber on friday and also moved all yearlings to land i have taken, had a ex120 pulling up stumps and burying them on saturday. did bear essentials on sunday as last 2 easter sundays i spread pig slurry and the neightbours were not to keen on me. went to mrt on monday and came home and oh had gone gaa training and back with a swollen ankle. into off duty doc and then mullingar hospital on monday night followed by tulllamore today. fractured and tendons gone. she is worried about missing all season. my poor suck calves are now all my worry along with work and runnin the house.

least she is off school for 6 weeks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

had a cow very slow this morning, she calved last friday, gave her a bottle of calcium in crush while waiting on vet and vet gave her 2 more bottles and some phosphorousand some chanatol and pain killers.her temperature was very low.. i gave her another bottle in vein after dinner....went back up half an hour later and she was dead:eek:

Sorry to hear that Whelan. Did you give her a bottle of magnesium to cover the possibility of tetnay ??

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

harvested my plants today she is stinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Whelan. Did you give her a bottle of magnesium to cover the possibility of tetnay ??
    there is magnessium in the calcium.... she didnt strike me as being a milk fever cow, no grinding of teeth, but temp was low and there was a dart in her neck vein... udder was fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just do it wrote: »

Marginal land needs attention and good grassland management. Over the last 20-25 years such land is now farmed by part-time farmers as these farms are usually not of a sufficient size to allow for full-time farming. Part time farmers for the celtic tiger era were earning plenty off farm and had scarce time for farming the land. It paid to farm subsidies, not land!

To consistently keep rushes at bay is an annual job and requires a love of farming. Now that cattle prices are good and productivity is being rewarded I'd hope alot of these marginal land is brought back into productivity without the efforts the Bull McCabe had to go to!:D;)

Neglect is the word.

In fairness, around here, its usually the part-time farmers who look after their land the best. Its the full time farmer with 100 acres who could be prize winning rush growers at the local agricultural show.

In this part of the country, we will be always scourged with the rush. Its the nature of the heavy soil. Keeping on top of it is an annual job with the licker or the sprayer. However, in many places around here, if you kill the rush, you are often left with very soft land which is un-traffickable and of less use than the land was when it did have rushes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

there is magnessium in the calcium.... she didnt strike me as being a milk fever cow, no grinding of teeth, but temp was low and there was a dart in her neck vein... udder was fine....

Grass tetney i'd say - its real weather for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Just wondering - has anyone put back in their suckler calves with all the bad weather and that. Walking through them this evening, noticed a few coughing. They are running around fine but, we'll see. All BB's of course. This weather wouldn't knock a scratch out of the Lims...;)

Tipp Man wrote: »
    there was no nervousness etc, if anything she was totally dopey... walked in to the yard ,when i gave her the last bottle her eye was sunk... calf was still on her , didnt think they would get tetany so soon after calving ,she oly calved on friday, they have baled silage and licks in the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

there was no nervousness etc, if anything she was totally dopey... walked in to the yard ,when i gave her the last bottle her eye was sunk... calf was still on her , didnt think they would get tetany so soon after calving ,she oly calved on friday, they have baled silage and licks in the field

last night was cruel, we were loading lambs at 5.30 this morning and every place was snow white with frost ,made the mistake of not wearing gloves and my hands nearly fell off me from the ice on their fleeces

we still keep any cows less than a week calved in by night , a neighbour had 2 cows dead in the field monday morning, is claiming the calmag wasn't in the nuts

we noticed some cows were not eating nuts and phoned the rep, on his advise we have tightened the amount of grass allocated (we use the sheep to eat out after the cows) and found they are eating more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »
    Now that cattle prices are good and productivity is being rewarded I'd hope alot of these marginal land is brought back into productivity without the efforts the Bull McCabe had to go to!:D;)

Yup, I have a lot of effort put into my work;)

On a totally different topic, I get to invade behind the scenes at Duffy's circus tomorrow. So if I disappear, the tigers got me:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What did you give her in the vein? Sometimes it can stop the heart. Hard luck by the way, it's never easy is it?

PS you're not trying to flush out LC by any chance?;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    What did you give her in the vein? Sometimes it can stop the heart. Hard luck by the way, it's never easy is it?

I have seen it happen often, soon after treatment an animal just crooks

blue5000 wrote: »

calciject, is what she got in to the vein... i remember years ago my dad gave a bottle of magnessium in to the vein, so we learnt the hard way that you dont do that... i had also given her 15cc of marbocyl 10% while i was waiting on the vet, i first noticed her at 8am and she was dead at 3pm , would tetany not kill her quicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

calciject, is what she got in to the vein... i remember years ago my dad gave a bottle of magnessium in to the vein, so we learnt the hard way that you dont do that... i had also given her 15cc of marbocyl 10% while i was waiting on the vet, i first noticed her at 8am and she was dead at 3pm , would tetany not kill her quicker?

Dare i say it but she got too much??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭cjpm

Dare i say it but she got too much??

I was thinking the same TBH...

I certainly wouldn't have the balls to administer anything into a vein. I thought it was only an emergency measure that a vet would do after arriving late to a serious case??

vet said she once had to give a cow 9 bottles, for her to get up

• Advertisement

We had a suckler (580 Kgs) with Milk Fever a while back. Vet gave 2 bottles of Calciject (400 mls) intravenously and then one under the skin. 3 in total.

if you see an ad on done deal for a friesian bull would you assume he is holstein or british friesian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

vet said she once had to give a cow 9 bottles, for her to get up

9 bottles :eek: :eek: . Never in a month of sundays have i heard of that

i had my first meeting today with the new discussion group anyone else start

leg wax wrote: »

Not a word from ours yet!

Just in from a heifer calving. Had to get the vet to take him as he was coming tail first and legs were down. Thank god he's up and sucking. A nice red angus bull off a charolais cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Had ours this evening. seems pretty good. you can make out the lads that are out for the grand (minus deductions) and the lads that want to make the most of it. Got the profit monitor disc so another new toy to play with. Mainly all suckler farmers with 20 -50 cows. only one beef finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bulled first heifer lastnight, blue grey edj BB 24 mts gave her OZS, she is not a giant tall and I may sell her in next Christmas as a springer if she doesn't grow. That being said AI man said she was very roomy inside ... Maybe she could make a good average sized cow (less inputs) for me or someone

Bodacious wrote: »
    Bulled first heifer lastnight, blue grey edj BB 24 mts gave her OZS, she is not a giant tall and I may sell her in next Christmas as a springer if she doesn't grow. That being said AI man said she was very roomy inside ... Maybe she could make a good average sized cow (less inputs) for me or someone
    my good edj cow would calve a elephant,shes had 2 blues on her own had a part bull this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

reilig wrote: »
    Just in from a heifer calving. Had to get the vet to take him as he was coming tail first and legs were down. Thank god he's up and sucking. A nice red angus bull off a charolais cow.
    The bull wasn't BOQ from Dovea by any chance? We had the exact same 2 weeks ago - red bull from a Charolais heifer. Big calf, needed a section. Thought the AI gave the wrong straw!

my good edj cow would calve a elephant,shes had 2 blues on her own had a part bull this year

And the dam of this heifer is a red lim with black around the muzzle( either some strain of SH or Saler in her) she would calve anything and brings no time with her whatsoever .. Much height in your EDJ cow?

Seaba wrote: »
    The bull wasn't BOQ from Dovea by any chance? We had the exact same 2 weeks ago - red bull from a Charolais heifer. Big calf, needed a section. Thought the AI gave the wrong straw!

That was the dude. But our calf was very small. Once we got the back legs up, we were able to pull him by hand. the vet thought he was off a shorthorn. Apparently a lot of calf come red off him.

1chippy wrote: »
    Had ours this evening. seems pretty good. you can make out the lads that are out for the grand (minus deductions) and the lads that want to make the most of it. Got the profit monitor disc so another new toy to play with. Mainly all suckler farmers with 20 -50 cows. only one beef finisher.

anyone with a profit monitor disk want to send me a copy :D.

I managed to repair my portable electric fencer with a bit of solder. Dead chuffed with myself. I got the same one repaired last year, cost about 50 Euro and was gone for about 2 weeks. The copper wires on the small coil had coroded away on the PCB board. That's what happens when you leave it out, not turned on and the batteries still in.:(

And the dam of this heifer is a red lim with black around the muzzle( either some strain of SH or Saler in her) she would calve anything and brings no time with her whatsoever .. Much height in your EDJ cow?
    if she lay on her side she would be higher:D.small -medium sized cow,looks like a pedigree bb with the muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

fecking flu :(:(

woke yesterday morning & thought I was dying, woke this morn & wished I was dead, was lucky to have son free for am milking

no body available for the morn :eek:

if she lay on her side she would be higher:D.small -medium sized cow,looks like a pedigree bb with the muscle.

But she is producing export quality bb weanlings with great muscle but lacking in height or easy calving lim every time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »
    I managed to repair my portable electric fencer with a bit of solder. Dead chuffed with myself. I got the same one repaired last year, cost about 50 Euro and was gone for about 2 weeks. The copper wires on the small coil had coroded away on the PCB board. That's what happens when you leave it out, not turned on and the batteries still in.:(

Fair play. Hopefully it keeps going. Easy to leave em out.

But she is producing export quality bb weanlings with great muscle but lacking in height or easy calving lim every time?
    put a bb on her you end up with a e grade white calf which takes after her,she hsd a rocky lim heifer last year and is just the same as her low and thickand solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hi folks could anyone tell me what thread the article about the fella in england using the charlie bull on lim x hol cows is please .
    I only read a bit of it last week but want to finish it now that I have a chance but cant find it anywhere .
    It seemed like a good system from what i had read .
    Thanks in advance for the help

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Hi folks could anyone tell me what thread the article about the fella in england using the charlie bull on lim x hol cows is please .
    I only read a bit of it last week but want to finish it now that I have a chance but cant find it anywhere .

Think its under suckler, may be wrong

anyone with a profit monitor disk want to send me a copy :D.
    pm i'll send it on, great set up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

moy83 wrote: »
    http://www.charolais.co.uk/news/harper%20adams.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Last ewe lambed today another sets of triplets. Lambing Over for another year Thank God.
    Was a very good year with numbers and no real issues. Hopefully the lamb prices keep up for the year now.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thanks blue couldnt find it anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was away there for a little while without internet and 95% without phone reception. Sort of miss it for a day or two then it's a release not being a slave to the phone:)

It's great to get all the news here again though!

Anyone find the blue ross alo AZL takes more time with them than other blues? One cow gone 286 and not a sign on her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone find the blue ross alo AZL takes more time with them than other blues? One cow gone 286 and not a sign on her!

If the calf is only 50% BB, maybe he's taking after the dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

gave OVO to two cows last year on the same day, one a limxchar the other a black lim the black calved three weeks before the other,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Quick question, What would be the highest calving difficulty you would put on a heifer?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement