Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

5live wrote: »
    That was what he was saying. Now markets seem to have firmed up a bit lately but enough....?

Then again they do seem to put a worst case scenario forward so when the cuts arent as bad we will feel good:mad:

That's worrying isn't it

I was expecting a drop alright but 8 cents would be a very steep drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan1 wrote: »
    some fecker robbed my portable electric fencer:mad: was in a field along the road

What a balls :mad: I'm thinking of making a metal box for mine that can hooked up to the fencer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Wrecked today, neighbour rang me at 12 last night to stomach tube a calf for him, didnt get home until 3 in the morning. Dont know will she do either, tounge swollen and cow wouldnt take with her so put her under a lamp for the night, No response when you blow in her ear either. Hes gone to the vet with her this morning anyway so hopefully he can do something for her, the stomach tube could see a lot of action for a few days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

lost the keys of the Landcruiser covering a clamp yesterday, talk about finding a needle in a hay stack. everyone wise after the event saying I should have a spare keys etc, but I only got one key with it when I bought it. Oh the joys

€350 plus vat for a new set!!!! Ahhhh

I wonder is this a pisstake or an awful chancer??

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3261457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I wonder is this a pisstake or an awful chancer??

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3261457

Pisstake, I got that image sent to me a week ago!
    Wonder who the poor buck is with the ph num though!

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Pisstake, I got that image sent to me a week ago!
    Wonder who the poor buck is with the ph num though!

Might be no harm to ring and ask :)

Might be no harm to ring and ask :)

Sure ask him if he has hang sangwidwiches with brown sauce;)

Sure ask him if he has hang sangwidwiches with brown sauce;)

And would he take a part exchange for a jack donkey with bad hoofs and no teeth :D

Wrecked today, neighbour rang me at 12 last night to stomach tube a calf for him, didnt get home until 3 in the morning. Dont know will she do either, tounge swollen and cow wouldnt take with her so put her under a lamp for the night, No response when you blow in her ear either. Hes gone to the vet with her this morning anyway so hopefully he can do something for her, the stomach tube could see a lot of action for a few days :(

Was it a difficult calving? Sorry for being pessimistic, but when the tongue is out like that I've not seen them to come right. Loads of b*ll**in with stomach tubes and messin and they end up smigged in the end :mad:

• Advertisement

lost the keys of the Landcruiser covering a clamp yesterday, talk about finding a needle in a hay stack. everyone wise after the event saying I should have a spare keys etc, but I only got one key with it when I bought it. Oh the joys

Ah f**K. losing keys is just a pain in the h*le. What were you clamping bob?

Muckit wrote: »
    Was it a difficult calving? Sorry for being pessimistic, but when the tongue is out like that I've not seen them to come right. Loads of b*ll**in with stomach tubes and messin and they end up smigged in the end :mad:

Ya he left her too long before he handled her, he said that himself but its all the same now. I dont think the odds are great with this lad either to be honest but you will stay trying while they are breathing anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

handled a cow this morning, i knew the calving was beyond me, got vet .Calf was rotten , wont go in to details but it was gross.... cow doing ok.... calf was about 4 or 5 weeks early

handled a cow this morning, i knew the calving was beyond me, got vet .Calf was rotten , wont go in to details but it was gross.... cow doing ok.... calf was about 4 or 5 weeks early

I always wonder what causes the calf to die inside. Would she have been with rough cows or was the calf un-natural?

not sure...but at least we got him out... had a good wash and sprayed loads of deodorant on me before getting youngest lad from school:)

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah f**K. losing keys is just a pain in the h*le. What were you clamping bob?

First cut, Magic day caught me by surprise and we just had to cut, ground is back in and ready for grazing.:cool: Repitting wholecrop and roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Online herd register question.
    Do I need to confirm movements from a mart?
    Were new with the online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

No need mart take care of that stuff only necessary for farm to farm movements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

not sure...but at least we got him out... had a good wash and sprayed loads of deodorant on me before getting youngest lad from school:)

Jesus not nice at all, will ye go again and out her back in calf or cull her out of the herd?

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Jesus not nice at all, will ye go again and out her back in calf or cull her out of the herd?
    she is the biggest bitc* that ever walked into the parlour, so i am taking this as an oppurtunity to get rid, going to fatten her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Good idea with the deodorant! And always check under your forearms when washing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Had to pull a couple of dead lambs that were before their time for Dad this year, that fookin smell, it's a tough one to get rid of. Nearly lost me lunch when I got the whiff of the first one.

johngalway wrote: »
    Had to pull a couple of dead lambs that were before their time for Dad this year, that fookin smell, it's a tough one to get rid of. Nearly lost me lunch when I got the whiff of the first one.
    Totally off topic but am I the only one to call my auld lad by his first name??

to top off a fantastic day i had a cow that calved about 10 days ago arrived in to parlour with cleanings hanging, i thought she had cleaned, so i had to put pessaries in her and take the cleanings from her.... i got splattered with the stuff, not a good day... heading out now and have just plastered myself with perfume after a bath

Letter out in the post earlier saying we have been accepted into the Burren farming for conservation programme...happy days :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I have called me Ma by her first name for years, since I was in my young teens.

And when talking about her in conversation, I would always use both her first and surname, even tho it's the same surname as mine, and everyone would know who I was talking about - why i do it I don't know, just seems weird not to :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Letter out in the post earlier saying we have been accepted into the Burren farming for conservation programme...happy days :D

Does this mean you'll be buying a Bobble hat and eating lentils from now on? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Read herd test to day, all clear TG

was the the vet's first time testing for us eventhough she has done calls on a few occassions

Canadian (female) and she is a pure natural in handling livestock, it was real pleasure working with her, came in for a cuppa afterwards, she told me she had originally planned doing medicine but thought she wouldn't be good dealing with patients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Was she with the Treaty Vet Clinic?

I meant Mid West..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

did anyone use the lim bull ere he was the no.1 on sbv for a while. his sbv plummeted by about 100 points:eek: mainly due to a calving difficulty of 21.8%:eek::eek:. we have 2 calves already 1 born naturally 2nd took a pull but just checkin book and we have 2 more to calve to him... i'd rather not know his calvin score now:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    Was she with the Treaty Vet Clinic?

no

don't know that practise

Nope, that means about 8k in my arse pocket john, only 150 farmers accepted in it out of about 400 that applied :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just booked tickets and hotel for Bruce in july. OH birthday coming and she never seen the Boss so that me sorted for a while:D

snowman707 wrote: »
    Read herd test to day, all clear TG

was the the vet's first time testing for us eventhough she has done calls on a few occassions

Canadian (female) and she is a pure natural in handling livestock, it was real pleasure working with her, came in for a cuppa afterwards, she told me she had originally planned doing medicine but thought she wouldn't be good dealing with patients

Give me our female vet most days over the lads. Remember last year doing our herd test we had put a good days work down (probably 7/8hr working)and she was pulling the headgate on the crush closed and she said to me, better take it easy as she is 6 months pregnant :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I doubt it Karen. I'd say a lot of people call your father by his first name!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Nope, that means about 8k in my arse pocket john, only 150 farmers accepted in it out of about 400 that applied :D

Well done Red, happy days,

Great scheme that for once them seem to have gotten it right hence the massive farmer interest

Just booked tickets and hotel for Bruce in july. OH birthday coming and she never seen the Boss so that me sorted for a while:D
    my parents went to see him a few times great show, something to look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

snowman707 wrote: »
    no

don't know that practise

Sorry. I meant Mid West Vet Clinic at the Ballysimon roundabout.

Treaty is for the small animals in Thomangate, Limerick.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I doubt it Karen. I'd say a lot of people call your father by his first name!:D

:D

my parents went to see him a few times great show, something to look forward to
    We tried to go a few times before but OH always seemed to be pregnant. So looking forward to it. We have a
    few days off in june too with the kids and possibly a wedding up the country in august so looks like no work being done here this summer:)

• Advertisement

We tried to go a few times before but OH always seemed to be pregnant. )

Wonder why:p

Wonder why:p
    I hope they find out soon, Bruce wont be touring for much longer:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A relative of mine got the results of a blood test back on a 24 month bullock yesterday and it turns out that he is a PI. It has been an ongoing saga with this bullock. First, it was a bad scour at about 12 months. The vet treated him and suggested that it was fluke. Vet treated him several times over the past 12 months for various ailments, pnumonia, scour, fluke etc and the last time he treated him, he suggested that the bullock be treated every 3 weeks with a fluke dose for 3 months.

My relation had a cattle test 2 weeks ago and he brought this bullock to my attention. from reading stuff here, this bullock had all the signs of bvd. I suggested that he would get the vet to take a blood sample for analysis. On the day of the test, the vet came and I asked him what he thought, and could it be bvd. Vet asked about the cow that he was off, and if she had healthy calves since. Relation was able to show vet 2 healthy calves off the same cow that were still on the farm. Vet said, "there you go, it can't be BVD, if it was then the rest would have it". I tried to argue that the could could be immune to BVD and that the Foetus of this calf may have been infected by a PI or a TI, and the Vet told me that I was "reading too many books" :D

I managed to convince him to take the blood sample anyway in case it might be another disease or a deficiency.

Low and behold, relation got a call from the Vets office yesterday to say that the bullock is a PI and to get rid of him immediately. This bullock has spent the last 12 months running with a bull, cows and calves. Thankfully all cows and bull have been vaccinated against BVD, but he could have caused untold damage to the herd.

It goes to show that its not only farmers who need to be better educated about BVD.

Does anyone know if relative will be entitled to the €100 compensation for this bullock or does it just apply to calves?

Bullock has lost so much condition in the last 3 months that he is barely 150kg - all skin and bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

reilig wrote: »
    Vet asked about the cow that he was off, and if she had healthy calves since. Relation was able to show vet 2 healthy calves off the same cow that were still on the farm. Vet said, "there you go, it can't be BVD, if it was then the rest would have it".

It goes to show that its not only farmers who need to be better educated about BVD.

Bullock has lost so much condition in the last 3 months that he is barely 150kg - all skin and bone.

Our vet had never seen a PI (knowingly, that is, I'm sure he'd seen loads:D).
    Agree that many vets pay little or no attention to it.
    Far be it from me to suggest that a herd with a PI in it is a regular source of income for a Vet:rolleyes:
    Your relations bullock probably has Mucosal disease now and will die soon, best to go to knackery straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Are they going to test the whole herd now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

What's the story with burning dead grass.

All the ads in the paper, and all references I've ever seen refer to it being illegal to burn growing vegetation, what about dead grass, is that legal?

I know many will say just crack on and do it, but we're on a fairly visible hillside, and worse there's always small planes overhead as it's a standard route used in training out of cork airport, so loads of potential busybodies.

not being smart but i would find it totally disrespectful if my kids called me by my first name, they'd get a kick in the butt from me.... i dont know how many times i have thought i heard them calling me and answered and it was actually a calf bawling or one of the pet lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Reilig, same think happened a uncle of mine with a char heifer. Vet was out twice and said bvd. so he sent to factory and got €165. As he said he is up the €165 , down the cost of her, plus vet but at least he didnt have to pay to get her put down. She also lost alot of condition over 6-8weeks.
    reilig wrote: »
    A relative of mine got the results of a blood test back on a 24 month bullock yesterday and it turns out that he is a PI. It has been an ongoing saga with this bullock. First, it was a bad scour at about 12 months. The vet treated him and suggested that it was fluke. Vet treated him several times over the past 12 months for various ailments, pnumonia, scour, fluke etc and the last time he treated him, he suggested that the bullock be treated every 3 weeks with a fluke dose for 3 months.

My relation had a cattle test 2 weeks ago and he brought this bullock to my attention. from reading stuff here, this bullock had all the signs of bvd. I suggested that he would get the vet to take a blood sample for analysis. On the day of the test, the vet came and I asked him what he thought, and could it be bvd. Vet asked about the cow that he was off, and if she had healthy calves since. Relation was able to show vet 2 healthy calves off the same cow that were still on the farm. Vet said, "there you go, it can't be BVD, if it was then the rest would have it". I tried to argue that the could could be immune to BVD and that the Foetus of this calf may have been infected by a PI or a TI, and the Vet told me that I was "reading too many books" :D

I managed to convince him to take the blood sample anyway in case it might be another disease or a deficiency.

Low and behold, relation got a call from the Vets office yesterday to say that the bullock is a PI and to get rid of him immediately. This bullock has spent the last 12 months running with a bull, cows and calves. Thankfully all cows and bull have been vaccinated against BVD, but he could have caused untold damage to the herd.

Does anyone know if relative will be entitled to the €100 compensation for this bullock or does it just apply to calves?

• Advertisement

not being smart but i would find it totally disrespectful if my kids called me by my first name, they'd get a kick in the butt from me.... i dont know how many times i have thought i heard them calling me and answered and it was actually a calf bawling or one of the pet lambs

Haha, I suppose it kinda is but at this stage it's more of a teasing pet name for him. Lovely day here, it was fecking needed though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement