Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

kinda the opposite, but, one of my sisters calls me by my surname.

which is the same as her's

and the rest of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

JohnBoy wrote: »
    kinda the opposite, but, one of my sisters calls me by my surname.

which is the same as her's

and the rest of the family.

Is that Mary Ellen?............:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is that Mary Ellen?............:D

Hahhahaha I laughed too much at that.:D

Night Johnboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Took a slow, quiet walk through my flock this afternoon. As I had feared I've lost another two lambs to the little red :mad: That's four now. I is not impressed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    Well done Red, happy days,

Great scheme that for once them seem to have gotten it right hence the massive farmer interest

Ya they same to have it spot on at the moment. Hopefully it will last because its a great boost to get, its money for doing practical improvements on the farm really.

On another note I had to go to kilrush to collect a bull for a cousin this morning. Must be some of the hardest land in the country to farm from miltown to kilrush, Really made me grateful thinking about the land we have which is by no means dry after looking in over every ditch on the way down. No sign of a beast out there at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya ppl on dry land really take it for granted how lucky they are.

We have the real wet stuff planted, but there is still fields bounding the forestry that are rarely grazed before May, same thing in the back end it's touch and go whether we get to graze the wet land after sept or not

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Could anyone tell me how much I should be paying for a 6 wk old Lim heifer calf off a friesan cow? Buying off the neighbour but neither off us know what she's worth...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

johnpawl wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me how much I should be paying for a 6 wk old Lim heifer calf off a friesan cow? Buying off the neighbour but neither off us know what she's worth...Thanks

I'd say 300 - 350 if hes not out to do ya.

On another matter relating to the BVD discussion...
    I am at a loss to understand why the bloods from brucellosis tests are not screened for BVD...
    correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a brucellosis case on this Isle in years :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

I'd say 300 - 350 if hes not out to do ya.

On another matter relating to the BVD discussion...
    I am at a loss to understand why the bloods from brucellosis tests are not screened for BVD...
    correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a brucellosis case on this Isle in years :confused:
    afair there was a good few cases in the north, i know where you are coming from, i also think johnes is just as bad if not worse than bvd and that the ear notch test should be tested for both diseases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nice clear fresh morning here but yesterday evenings rain took the biscuit!
    Fields are liquid now. It's a real pain, ya try to get them out early just for the weather turn bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bbam wrote: »
    Nice clear fresh morning here but yesterday evenings rain took the biscuit!
    Fields are liquid now. It's a real pain, ya try to get them out early just for the weather turn bad.

was reading the better farm lads in the journal the yesterday evening, a big thing seems to be to get cattle out to grass early in march, just dont know if its doable around here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

was reading the better farm lads in the journal the yesterday evening, a big thing seems to be to get cattle out to grass early in march, just dont know if its doable around here anyway.

paper never refused ink, but what I would say is not to cut of your nose to spite your face when it comes to getting out animals early. A damaged sward wont have the output later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

paper never refused ink, but what I would say is not to cut of your nose to spite your face when it comes to getting out animals early. A damaged sward wont have the output later in the year

With bob on this 1. If you can get them out early by all means do but no point ruining a field just to say your cattle were out on paddys day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

johngalway wrote: »
    Does this mean you'll be buying a Bobble hat and eating lentils from now on? :D

Nope, that means about 8k in my arse pocket john, only 150 farmers accepted in it out of about 400 that applied :D
    I'm going moving the farm to the burren!!!

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Had to pull a couple of dead lambs that were before their time for Dad this year, that fookin smell, it's a tough one to get rid of. Nearly lost me lunch when I got the whiff of the first one.
    Totally off topic but am I the only one to call my auld lad by his first name??
    Not that unusual I'd say. Less common fir the mammy I'd say though ;)

Well done Red, happy days,

Great scheme that for once them seem to have gotten it right hence the massive farmer interest

Red, can't remember if I replied to your quoted response above :confused:

If not, well done, nice little earner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Ya they same to have it spot on at the moment. Hopefully it will last because its a great boost to get, its money for doing practical improvements on the farm really
    Congrats, good to see it directed at a farmer whose putting the effort in.

Seen a special in the comic this week on my usual bull, €10 a straw. I've a good few stocked up this evening :D

just do it wrote: »
    Not that unusual I'd say. Less common fir the mammy I'd say though ;)

Mammy is mammy. And will always be!

Nothing beats a good mammy dinner at the weekend.
    (I sound like a student now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Today was a good one.

Last of the spring cows calved, Hereford Heifer out of a blue cow. Bit of a pull but was because the cow was mud fat. Nothing serrious. 1 set of twins and lost none so was a successful calving season.

fixed 2 gateways and installed a homemade creep gate made out of an old gate that the silage contractor decided to "modify" with the front wheel of the tractor and had been lying in the ditch for the past few years. Total cost of creep gate? about 20c of wire to get it to hang right.
    Then spent the afternoon chain harrowing a feild that had dry cows on it all winter. Did a grand job on it.

Feels great when a day goes right for you like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

whelan1 wrote: »
    afair there was a good few cases in the north, i know where you are coming from, i also think johnes is just as bad if not worse than bvd and that the ear notch test should be tested for both diseases

Mmm.. thats a good one I thought it was gone for sure. Yeah we had a couple of Johnes cases here over the years and it is a rotten disease esp in young stock. Lab found it hard to confirm it in the faeces.

On the point of Mam and Dad it graduated to first names over time but the auld fella wasnt amused if you didnt address him as Dad when there'd be others around. My own kids vary from one to the other and I dont mind as long as theres a bit of respect in the tone!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

....Yeah we had a couple of Johnes cases here over the years and it is a rotten disease esp in young stock. Lab found it hard to confirm it in the faeces....
    What are the symptoms of Johnes?

persistant scour, no treatment will cure it, wasting away, normally seen in animals over 2 years of age normally appetie will not be affected

persistant scour, no treatment will cure it, wasting away, normally seen in animals over 2 years of age normally appetie will not be affected
    And just to add it's a bigger problem in dairy herds as it's transmitted through milk. Therefore calves fed in bulk all get it vs 1 suckler calf getting it off the infected cow.

as only younger cows will havr the virus if getting biestings off your local dairy farmer it would be preferrable to get older cows beistings if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimskoda

has anyone used easy calving simmental huz on heifers? is hca the easiest calving limo? anyone use speckle park? heifers are simmental x friesian and hereford x friesian

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just as as offtopic comment- Johne's Disease in cattle is the same disease as Crohn's Disease in humans.

One of those days here.....got thrown off two horses, pulled a dead calf for a neighbour and then arrived back home to realise my keys were safe and sound in the jeans on my bed 2 hours away.
    Kicked in my front door and broke the door frame off the wall. Not 30 seconds later does the landord arrive with a spare key. This was after me standing around like a spare pr*ick for 10 mins calling him.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    One of those days here.....got thrown off two horses, pulled a dead calf for a neighbour and then arrived back home to realise my keys were safe and sound in the jeans on my bed 2 hours away.
    Kicked in my front door and broke the door frame off the wall. Not 30 seconds later does the landord arrive with a spare key. This was after me standing around like a spare pr*ick for 10 mins calling him.:o

Sounds like an episode of Wonderwomen!!:pac::D;)

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like an episode of Wonderwomen!!:pac::D;)

If only I could fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

First part calf... Came chocolate with a white head, very lively heifer calf too... I'd use sirex again... She fired her out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

First part calf... Came chocolate with a white head, very lively heifer calf too... I'd use sirex again... She fired her out

your happy so.. did your that are in calf to LGL and CVV ever calf and if so was the quality good??

limo_100 wrote: »
    First part calf... Came chocolate with a white head, very lively heifer calf too... I'd uUse sirex again... She fired her out

your happy so.. did your that are in calf to LGL and CVV ever calf and if so was the quality good??

2 calved to CVV no hassle, 1 bull and 1 heifer, only a couple of days old but they seem grand leggy looking, I had no lgl but used the char kIb and CF61 and very happy with both.

Only trouble I had was a huge BB Ross alo bull calf backways but he doing fine now, will prob be the best calf if his muscle develops

4 to go, char, fl22, Ross alo and sim IS4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

2 calved to CVV no hassle, 1 bull and 1 heifer, only a couple of days old but they seem grand leggy looking, I had no lgl but used the char kIb and CF61 and very happy with both.

Only trouble I had was a huge BB Ross alo bull calf backways but he doing fine now, will prob be the best calf if his muscle develops

I had a AZL calf sat and its a fairly good calf but not overly big but quite with calved unassisted. I also had a DEP heifer calf on fri evening probably one of the best calves I have seen born. She was a very big tall, wide and long calf but tradagy struck her. Her navel was very week and it busted open and all her guts came out. we had to put her down. :mad:

jimskoda wrote: »
    has anyone used easy calving simmental huz on heifers? is hca the easiest calving limo? anyone use speckle park? heifers are simmental x friesian and hereford x friesian

What are you looking at breeding? Replacements? Milk won't be an issue anyway!

I'd say HUZ and HCA are both easy calving according to ICBF. Can't report on them until next year though, I've a HCA straw given to one heifer but switched to a shorthorn LYJ for the other heifers. HCA docility isn't great and plenty LM blood in them already! I'd asked the AI man to get a few HUZ but my other heifers had all come bulling by the time he got them.

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »

I had a AZL calf sat and its a fairly good calf but not overly big but quite with calved unassisted. I also had a DEP heifer calf on fri evening probably one of the best calves I have seen born. She was a very big tall, wide and long calf but tradagy struck her. Her navel was very week and it busted open and all her guts came out. we had to put her down. :mad:

Jees I'm sorry to hear that limo.

Big loss by the sounds of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mt Cranium's Weather Forecast. Time to put back in the cows methinks. . . .
    TUESDAY NIGHT and WEDNESDAY ... Rain arriving in the southwest Tuesday evening will gradually spread across the south in strong east to southeast winds and there may be some locally heavy downpours, with sleet possible on higher ground as temperatures near sea level stay close to 6-8 C. The rain may once again avoid parts of the far north or at least will be quite light there, but other regions could see a steady downpour and 30-60 mms of rain by late Wednesday as winds continue quite strong from the east at 30-50 mph, adding a chill to temperatures in the 7-9 C range (3-6 C on higher ground). Spot flooding may develop especially from about Cork east to Wexford and perhaps as far north as Offaly to Dublin/Meath. Some models are taking this storm a bit further south than others, so forecasts could shift around somewhat between now and Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

how many 9 inch hollow blocks in a pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭cjpm

20 blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

where can i find 73 mircon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

weighed the 1st batch of weaned bulls today the 9 of them were weaned 3 weeks ago. Happy enough with weights.
    BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    EkB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

They are on 3.5 kgs of meal since weaning and were on 1.5kgs for the 3 months before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

weighed the 1st batch of weaned bulls today the 9 of them were weaned 3 weeks ago. Happy enough with weights.
    BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    ETB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

They are on 3.5 kgs of meal since weaning and were on 1.5kgs for the 3 months before that.

what do you believe are the main differences in the weight. see for instance the two first byu calves 1 is 2 days older and 90kgs heavier. what were the crosses and is there milk or was one sick. sorry about all the q's. still trying to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

1chippy wrote: »
    what do you believe are the main differences in the weight. see for instance the two first byu calves 1 is 2 days older and 90kgs heavier. what were the crosses and is there milk or was one sick. sorry about all the q's. still trying to learn.

the 2nd lads mother got a severe case of mastitis which practically dried her up for the first 3 months. had vet with her 3 times and really thought she would'nt make it. ended up cutting her spin off to help her drain. in the following 2 or 3 months the quarter broke out in a further 2 places:eek: some mess. she is a black lim. the 1st calf is out of a red sim cow. both cows would be very milky maybe too much so if there is such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

TISMESOITIS
    what breed do you reckon crosses best to get the weight gain. are they heavily muscled or plain cows and what sort of suckler do you reckon rears the calf best. sorry but i'm both nosey and curious just to hear other opinions. i try to fool myself into thinking i will use it all but more likely i'll just pick the bits i want to use and apply them to my own system.
    P.S THEY ARE PRETTY DECENT WEIGHTS, ESPECIALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE TWINS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I was pondering the same question about what are the best cows to keep Chippy . I think the limo x fr cows are what we will be leaning towards mostly . They easier to keep than a big heavy cow (especially on our soft ground ) . I wonder what pays best a big cow throwing a super calf , or a nice hardy black limo giving a good decent calf but not quite an super calf ?

reilig wrote: »
    Mt Cranium's Weather Forecast. Time to put back in the cows methinks. . . .

I find this map for 5 day forecast good: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    ETB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

Thanks for the figures tismesoitis. You can be proud of them! I reckon you've achieved a LWG of ~1.35kg/day which is for autumn calves.

What's your plan with them? Will you be selling or finishing them? I've just weaned a few autumn calves as well and considering what's the best plan of action with them.

I find this map for 5 day forecast good: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Thanks for that JDI, it does look useful alright. I'll have to see how it tallies with us shooting at night, be awful handy if it's accurate!

Thanks for that JDI, it does look useful alright. I'll have to see how it tallies with us shooting at night, be awful handy if it's accurate!
    The rain radar on the same website for the previous 3 hours is also very handy for judging what the next hour our two will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jN5RWKsJq4
    just came across this video, ch x aubrac and ch x saler, french video, smashing cattle
    lovely day here at work, no sign of the rain yet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement