Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jN5RWKsJq4
    just came across this video, ch x aubrac and ch x saler, french video, smashing cattle
    lovely day here at work, no sign of the rain yet
    does looking at you tube count as work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leg wax wrote: »
    does looking at you tube count as work?

;) ya about as much as reading boards.ie counts as farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

weighed the 1st batch of weaned bulls today the 9 of them were weaned 3 weeks ago. Happy enough with weights.
    BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    ETB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

Great weights there tismesoitis . Iv most of the cows Autumn calving now . Switched a couple of years ago . Find the strong calves make much better use of spring grass .
    Just looking at the D.O.B of the calves though . You start calving in July?? Do you not be plagued with mastitis , when cows are springing heavy and just freshly calved ???
    I had 5 maiden heifers calving down before the cows this season , and they started last week in August . Cows followed a month later .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

3 heifers rising on the bull today, the bull doesnt know what to do with himself!! Strange the way 3 of them came together and I hadnt seen anything bulling all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

3 heifers rising on the bull today, the bull doesnt know what to do with himself!! Strange the way 3 of them came together and I hadnt seen anything bulling all along.

Typical when your waiting for the bus and none come along for ages, then all at once a good few come together, bet the bull is a tired man tonight. Luck him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

1chippy wrote: »
    TISMESOITIS
    what breed do you reckon crosses best to get the weight gain. are they heavily muscled or plain cows and what sort of suckler do you reckon rears the calf best. sorry but i'm both nosey and curious just to hear other opinions. i try to fool myself into thinking i will use it all but more likely i'll just pick the bits i want to use and apply them to my own system.
    P.S THEY ARE PRETTY DECENT WEIGHTS, ESPECIALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE TWINS

the cows are all 1st cross of dairy cows. would be happiest with the 3/4 lims 1/4 friesian. i think there is such a thing as too much milk especially when calf is young. sims are way too milky and if and when we have a case of mastitis it is more often than not one of them.

just do it wrote: »
    Thanks for the figures tismesoitis. You can be proud of them! I reckon you've achieved a LWG of ~1.35kg/day which is for autumn calves.

What's your plan with them? Will you be selling or finishing them? I've just weaned a few autumn calves as well and considering what's the best plan of action with them.

will bring them to carnaross mart in 2 batches when the lightest of each batch is 450kgs. reckon we'l be away with the 1st group in about a month.

Richk2012 wrote: »
    weighed the 1st batch of weaned bulls today the 9 of them were weaned 3 weeks ago. Happy enough with weights.
    BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    ETB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

Great weights there tismesoitis . Iv most of the cows Autumn calving now . Switched a couple of years ago . Find the strong calves make much better use of spring grass .
    Just looking at the D.O.B of the calves though . You start calving in July?? Do you not be plagued with mastitis , when cows are springing heavy and just freshly calved ???
    I had 5 maiden heifers calving down before the cows this season , and they started last week in August . Cows followed a month later .

Have to agree Rich would be fond of the autumn calves.Have a few casses of mastitis alrite but would'nt say plagued. milky cows are always the first to give bother. Finished calving 4th april(hoped not to have any calve in april) starting with autunm calving(:rolleyes:) around the middle of june this year. 1st cow served sept 1st so should have calves from 15-20th on.maybe i'm wrong but i think cash flow is important and going out with weanlings when the marts are'nt full of them is also important!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Have to agree Rich would be fond of the autumn calves.Have a few casses of mastitis alrite but would'nt say plagued. milky cows are always the first to give bother. Finished calving 4th april(hoped not to have any calve in april) starting with autunm calving(:rolleyes:) around the middle of june this year. 1st cow served sept 1st so should have calves from 15-20th on.maybe i'm wrong but i think cash flow is important and going out with weanlings when the marts are'nt full of them is also important!!

Yea true thats a very valid point , lack of supply means a greater demand which in turn means better prices.
    I agree with you on cows having too much milk , especially after calving . Iv cows bred from British Fresians , and the calves cant manage the milk supply at first for a couple of weeks but the cows dont be long adjusting .
    Iv diluted them down again though , keeping heifers from these half Dairy cows , and found these to be the best type of cow. They are still great milkers but are more beefy, and are in stronger condition than the half fresians , coming in heat sooner too .
    Iv heard good things about Carnaross Mart , and Im threatining to bring some of the weaners there this year instead of the usual mart . Let me know how you get on with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was messing at work today and dared someone to put a sheep tag through my plug.......they called my bluff. So had to walk back to the office with a tag in my ear and find a wirecutters :(

(And you can say yuck all you like, I like it:cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I was messing at work today and dared someone to put a sheep tag through my plug.......they called my bluff. So had to walk back to the office with a tag in my ear and find a wirecutters :(

Any pic of the tag in?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any pic of the tag in?

I have one but it's on my work camera. So maybe tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Was it a sheep tag, do you get put on the flock register now? Have ye ordered the replacement tag yet? :D

johngalway wrote: »
    Was it a sheep tag, do you get put on the flock register now? Have ye ordered the replacement tag yet? :D

Yup I'm a hogget apparently:D

Yea true thats a very valid point , lack of supply means a greater demand which in turn means better prices.
    I agree with you on cows having too much milk , especially after calving . Iv cows bred from British Fresians , and the calves cant manage the milk supply at first for a couple of weeks but the cows dont be long adjusting .
    Iv diluted them down again though , keeping heifers from these half Dairy cows , and found these to be the best type of cow. They are still great milkers but are more beefy, and are in stronger condition than the half fresians , coming in heat sooner too .
    Iv heard good things about Carnaross Mart , and Im threatining to bring some of the weaners there this year instead of the usual mart . Let me know how you get on with them

ye the 3/4 beef cow has loads of advantages all you mentioned plus better quality calf. We find carnaross great and its only 20 mins from us so don't have to take d full day of to go sellin. i'll let ya know how all goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

will bring them to carnaross mart in 2 batches when the lightest of each batch is 450kgs. reckon we'l be away with the 1st group in about a month.

I take it you must have your own weighing scales. Great to be able to measure like that. Would you consider having one a must?

ye the 3/4 beef cow has loads of advantages all you mentioned plus better quality calf. We find carnaross great and its only 20 mins from us so don't have to take d full day of to go sellin. i'll let ya know how all goes!
    was thinking of going up there with a few, what day is it on,what shippers are there.

was thinking of going up there with a few, what day is it on,what shippers are there.

Fro what I know in working there last year, the majority of them have buyers in it. Can't name names but the usual. Plus a few more on Special sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Number 69:D?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Number 69:D?

I have seen girls with all types of things but never seen an Ear plug like the one in the link, whats the idea, whats there proper names:confused:

• Advertisement

I have seen girls with all types of things but never seen an Ear plug like the one in the link, whats the idea, whats there proper names:confused:

Ear tunnel or Plug. It's basically stretching a normal piercing outwards by mm.
    Prob best to see the piercing & tattoo part of Boards.

I have seen girls with all types of things

What sort of things Bob?:D

* (Hold on 'till I make myself comfortable;))

Oh what have I started.........:pac:

What sort of things Bob?:D

* (Hold on 'till I make myself comfortable;))

Originally I had wrote 'met' girls with all types of things:D:D.

Oh what have I started.........:pac:

Must say Kovu that they look pretty cool. Have you many more unusual piercings Kovu :rolleyes:

Originally I had wrote 'met' girls with all types of things:D:D. Must say Kovu that they look pretty cool.

I have too many. Plus far too many hours of tattoos. My Mick's heart must be broken! ( Mick = Dad)

Whoops, wrong reply link.

I have too many. Plus far too many hours of tattoos. My Mick's heart must be broken! ( Mick = Dad)

Just finished watching 'the girl with the dragon tattoo', would you be up to her standard:D:D

Bob heads off in excitment to the tattoo and piercings section of boards;) I will report back on my findings :cool:

Whoops, wrong reply link.

Your father is your tattoo artist?????????????

Come on there, yesterday you said you'd stick up pics of your plug with a sheep tag, we're all waiting.........

Your father is your tattoo artist?????????????

Ah stop, she would end up with one of westside bob if that was the case :D:D

• Advertisement

I stuck that post up today! I have just about less than 50 hours of tattooing. (oh how I wait for LC to comment) I'll get one up with me and the tag tomorrow.
    Westside Bob? Already have one of Secretariat!!:D

Please put it up nowwwwwwwww

I won't be able to sleep:rolleyes:In excited anticipation:o:o

I stuck that post up today! I have just about less than 50 hours of tattooing. (oh how I wait for LC to comment) I'll get one up with me and the tag tomorrow.

50 hrs!! Ouch!

Dont mind the tag, I want to see the tats

If ye stay up another 18 minutes i'll have a video for ye....mind you not of karen ;) Cant wait to hit youtube fame :D

relig and rovi will be busy cleaning this mess up in the mornin:D

50 hrs!! Ouch!

Dont mind the tag, I want to see the tats

That's not farming material:D
    Look through my past posts:o

That's all fine and dandy..............But do you have BULL and CALF tattooed across your knuckles?:D

That's not farming material:D
    Look through my past posts:o
    Been there, done that, nice horses

That's all fine and dandy..............But do you have BULL and CALF tattooed across your knuckles?:D
    Not quite yet. but before we are killed by te mods I had a calf the other day showing even more potential than the Bob calf born. Have to get a pic up soon.

• Advertisement

If ye stay up another 18 minutes i'll have a video for ye....mind you not of karen ;) Cant wait to hit youtube fame :D
    Im in no rush to go anywhere, whats the subject matter

Im in no rush to go anywhere, whats the subject matter

Breeding heifers, they are so used to getting their picture taking now they have started posing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feckin typical.
    Have a cattle test this evening after work.
    30 minutes to get stock in after I get home and the forecast isn't looking like it'll help much.
    It'll pour rain for sure, nothing better than testing in the rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bbam wrote: »
    Feckin typical.
    Have a cattle test this evening after work.
    30 minutes to get stock in after I get home!

Ah yes, the joys of part time farming!

img00397201204251446.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here ya go!:D

• Advertisement

img00397201204251446.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here ya go!:D
    is it in backwards?wrong way around?

is it in backwards?wrong way around?
    No idea, it's the way he put it in!

No idea, it's the way he put it in!
    your like the one on the front of the farming indo a few months back:D

your like the one on the front of the farming indo a few months back:D
    :rolleyes:

Least I haven't progressed to calf tags....yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I had a calf the other day showing even more potential than the Bob calf born. Have to get a pic up soon.

Are you putting that pic up beside Secretariat?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement