Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

leg wax wrote: »
    oh christ i was invaluable to him john,i held her tail :D
    Very valuable to prevent infection;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

oh christ i was invaluable to him john,i held her tail :D

Better than what I'd have done. I'm usually on the ground seeing stars:D No stomach for the 'B' word :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    Better than what I'd have done. I'm usually on the ground seeing stars:D No stomach for the 'B' word :o

I'd say you're terrific at castration :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We had a section ourselves a few days ago. Unknown sire.........Teenage mother. The heifer gave it an almighty attempt to calve herself but the calf was just too big for her.
    She went down when she was being shaved and stayed down for the whole thing. When we pulled out the calf I put him at her head and she was licking him as she was being stiched.
    Both are flying it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

blue5000 wrote: »
    50-60 e last time I looked, but bareco ones are dearer, round 80 ish

Bang on Blue, E60 fpr long black one today although he told me it would do but really i need the yellow one specifically for the PZ hay bob as long black one wouldnt fit correctly.. would that yellow one be the Bareco one you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bodacious wrote: »
    Bang on Blue, E60 fpr long black one today although he told me it would do but really i need the yellow one specifically for the PZ hay bob as long black one wouldnt fit correctly.. would that yellow one be the Bareco one you talking about?

The bareco ones are fairly new to the Irish market, the big advantage they have is that the cover over the hardi-spicer can be unclipped and pulled back for greasing. I'd say the one you bought is fine, especially as I think you are selling it on?
    http://www.bareco.ie/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

aren't c-sections ten a penny nowadays? I know they are necessary but 20 years ago a section in a neighbours yard was the talk of the area...:rolleyes:

Any one at the mart lately? Ive been told trade is a bit easier....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

dungravan today. calves back 100 a head, frx cattle back 150 ahead, cont stores still holding 600 with the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just back from dropping cows to the factory,

just after coming off the M7 came to garda checkpoint and this lovely young lady garda asks to see my license , the fecking thing is nearly 3 months out of date, nearly got a fecking seizure

any how she was sound out, just said to get it renewed when i get a chance, & no need to produce it, she didn't even take down my details

just for devilment I says to her you're not from farming background are you, & she says indeed I am, sure I do the paperwork for my da on my time off & I see he bought his bull from you, :D

the next license will be my last 10 year one :(:(

topgeas wrote: »
    dungravan today. calves back 100 a head, frx cattle back 150 ahead, cont stores still holding 600 with the weight.

The plainer stock are first to get hit.

Its looking a bit uncertain isn't it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

any tips on powdery mildew? I got neem oil yesterday & sprayed the ladies hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

serious rain in the east all day- brought 100 heifers home from a block 15km away- took the whole day

plenty of grass but toooooo much muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

this is a question my husband wants to know:confused: could you paint a trailer floor with waste oil- its a timber floor, i said no, what do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

two of us are thinking of going up and over to sixmilebridge mart on saturday for a look ,anyone know what time it starts and directions,thanks in adv

stanflt wrote: »
    serious rain in the east all day- brought 100 heifers home from a block 15km away- took the whole day

plenty of grass but toooooo much muck

Thats unreal Stan...here in the NW we haven't had a drop of rain since last Mon nite and that was a welcome drop at the time.
    That said however, a lot of stock gone back indoors here also. Fields gone from yellow to red now. What next ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    brought 100 heifers home from a block 15km away- took the whole day

What kind of a trailer had you?18'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

whelan1 wrote: »
    this is a question my husband wants to know:confused: could you paint a trailer floor with waste oil- its a timber floor, i said no, what do ye think?

We did it before years ago - it prob helped preserve the floor, but it was lethal to walk on for ages afterwards, mad slippery...
    Although when we did it, we were small, so we thought 'twas fierce craic to be slipping around... :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't recommend it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We put a new larch floor in two months ago and painted it with oil. Two coats good and generous. Have only used it once and no issues seen. Then again we be at stuff that lots would consider "unusual".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I do it at the start of every winter with both timber and steel floor trailers. If you leave it long enough, it will actually dry out. Might take a month or so. If you plan on using the trailer soon, then don't. The oil will get on everything.

two of us are thinking of going up and over to sixmilebridge mart on saturday for a look ,anyone know what time it starts and directions,thanks in adv
    Coming from Waterford, take the Ennis road from Limerick City to Co. Clare. Head out the Ennis road until the first flyover after about 5 miles. Up through Cratloe village and then on into Sixmilebridge. When you arrive in the center of SMB village, take a left over the small bridge, then a right. The mart is out that road, on the right hand side after a mile and 1/2. You'll pass the hurling field and school as you go. Starts at 11am as far as I know.
    It's a small enough Mart compared to say Ennis, up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Jaysus boy you travel some mileage to marts leg wax!

Cattle test read this evening.
    All clear.
    It's always a great releif.
    Vet was very accommodating, read them at seven as we were working late.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

its there bread and butter.

do you put them all through the crush to read them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Jaysus boy you travel some mileage to marts leg wax!

One end of Ireland to the other isnt big enough for some cattle men when buying :rolleyes:

jerdee wrote: »

Yep. All ran through.

they have to go through the crush to be read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    Coming from Waterford, take the Ennis road from Limerick City to Co. Clare. Head out the Ennis road until the first flyover after about 3 miles. Up through Cratloe village and then on into Sixmilebridge. When you arrive in the center of SMB village, take a left over the small bridge, then a right. The mart is out that road, on the right hand side after a mile and 1/2. You'll pass the hurling field and school as you go. Starts at 11am as far as I know.
    It's a small enough Mart compared to say Ennis, up the road.

do you have to book cattle in Pak or just show up with them?

I haven't sold or bought there since it re-opened, but I doubt it. You didn't have to book them in, in the old days anyway. It's very rare that it would be packed to capacity.

they have to go through the crush to be read!

Not always. Our vet walks around them and looks at them all. Any suspect is put in the crush. We actually had a vet clip and inject an animal in the field. She laughed the whole way through it as she couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Not always. Our vet walks around them and looks at them all. Any suspect is put in the crush. We actually had a vet clip and inject an animal in the field. She laughed the whole way through it as she couldn't believe it.
    it is my understanding that all animals should be measured on day 1 and when being read.... how does the vet know from a few metres away if there is a lump or not, it could be under the skin.... also under the new rules the time frame of testing and reading must be adhered to, you can not test animals at 8am and read then at 8pm on the reading day... think there needs to be alot more spot checks done on tb testing, we are paying enough for it... we will never be rid if its not done right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

credit where it's due:

Managed to lock ourselves out of agfood website. (I work in IT, but cant remember a frickin password, and by the time I find it I'd managed to lock out the account) left a voicemail on the agfood helpline last night, they rang back at ten past nine to say the account had been unlocked.

That's good service, had similar experience last year when I rang up with a query about the online application, was dealt with in minutes.

Now, has anyone redrawn maps online themselves this year? I have one small change to make this year and I beleive the process has changed from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is the agrifood site the only site in the world where any digital changes (your password etc) have to be done by post?:confused:

Is the agrifood site the only site in the world where any digital changes (your password etc) have to be done by post?:confused:
    yup , is that still the case, had an inspection a few years ago, wanted to check everything was ok before they came and had to wait to get password in post.... its top secret you know:)

it is my understanding that all animals should be measured on day 1 and when being read.... how does the vet know from a few metres away if there is a lump or not, it could be under the skin.... also under the new rules the time frame of testing and reading must be adhered to, you can not test animals at 8am and read then at 8pm on the reading day... think there needs to be alot more spot checks done on tb testing, we are paying enough for it... we will never be rid if its not done right

To be fair this was a couple of years ago. Wasn't at this years test so I don't know what was done. All our cows are quiet enough for the vet to handle anyway. But I do agree that the amout we pay for a test should mean that we get a fair service.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

my vet goes into slatted pens and checks by rubbing the site handy than mixing animals as cows roaring for calves but they are very quiet .any issues he then takes to crush .
    ps blood tested 3 year1/2 bulls asked the vet to call me if he was passing rang me when he was in yard i work ten mins away told him the tag numbers and by the time i arrived home he had jumped in the pen and had them done.

wasn't too happy if anything had happened lucky they are all halter trained /quiet .he won t be doing it again.

• Advertisement

my vet goes into slatted pens and checks by rubbing the site handy than mixing animals as cows roaring for calves but they are very quiet .any issues he then takes to crush .
    ps blood tested 3 year1/2 bulls asked the vet to call me if he was passing rang me when he was in yard i work ten mins away told him the tag numbers and by the time i arrived home he had jumped in the pen and had them done.

wasn't too happy if anything had happened lucky they are all halter trained /quiet .he won t be doing it again.
    would be interested to see the departments view on this... i assume all measurements are written down:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Ladies (and Jerdee) - without wanting to sound like a mod or the internet police - i think that discussion should be done by PM

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Ladies (and Jerdee) - without wanting to sound like a mod or the internet police - i think that discussion should be done by PM
    i couldnt agree more...

Very pleasantly surprised this afternoon. I actually had the Dept ring me up saying they had two calves of ours back in 2010 that we hadn't been paid on in the Suckler Scheme. Now bearing in mind I spent ages trying to get them sorted out and not one person in the office could tell me why they were invalid for payment.
    So now I've had them sorted out and will be paid for them......two years later:eek:

But I suppose I should be happy that I actually got some response at all!
    Miracles can happen (albeit 2 years late:p)

anyone go to their bank recently , are they looking after you? have bank man coming out tomorrow:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

anyone go to their bank recently , are they looking after you? have bank man coming out tomorrow:o

Hmm, kinda and kinda not, they are always 6 months to a year behind the game so they are mad to lend to milking in the moment, beef turn for lending is coming soon im told. My business managers with both banks I deal with is good but my business carries such uncertaintly that no bank wants that sort of new/extra business at the moment irrespective of previous records etc.

well the last time they where supposed to come out they never turned up:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    I haven't sold or bought there since it re-opened, but I doubt it. You didn't have to book them in, in the old days anyway. It's very rare that it would be packed to capacity.

I done a run with bullocks for fellow there last February, we were early & i only dropped them and left

he told me later that it was very late when he sold as a lot of cattle had been pre booked from the previous week , said he lost a fair bit cos the trade died as the day went on

You could be right. I never remember booking them in anyway in the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

bbam wrote: »
    Cattle test read this evening.
    All clear.
    It's always a great releif.
    Vet was very accommodating, read them at seven as we were working late.

there was a man not far from us that lost 30+ there a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

straw shed just filled with 200 4x4 bales of golden barley straw.:D

Many of ye suffer from bad back ?? Must be very common in farming circles..
    I'm struggling at the moment although mine isn't farming related it does restrict what I can do... On a good day I need help with any heavy work... working the tractor where I need to turn round all the time to look back is a killer...

Have a degenerative condition made much worse a few years ago when an idiot in a transit tried to drive across my car head on... in fairness to him he made it up to the wipers before he ran out of steam :(

Enough moaning... tis a lovely sunny day here

hurt my back a few weeks ago, jesus it was so sore, luckily an injection from the doctor and i was grand, couldnt imagine that sort of pain all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bbam wrote: »
    Many of ye suffer from bad back ?? Must be very common in farming circles..
    I'm struggling at the moment although mine isn't farming related it does restrict what I can do... On a good day I need help with any heavy work... working the tractor where I need to turn round all the time to look back is a killer...

Have a degenerative condition made much worse a few years ago when an idiot in a transit tried to drive across my car head on... in fairness to him he made it up to the wipers before he ran out of steam :(

Enough moaning... tis a lovely sunny day here

Sorry to hear about yer back Bbam. I had a small incident with me back last year, which wasn't too bad at all, but its still there niggling every now and then, which annoys me. But, it also makes me appreciate me back / health a bit more, back trouble is a nightmare :(

On the weather front, yesterday was a real summers day down here, lovely & sunny, 15+ degrees, today is fcuking miserable - back to the cold, wet, grey misery.... :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Looks like a cold weekend and more of the same next week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=165

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement