Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

bbam wrote: »
    Many of ye suffer from bad back ?? Must be very common in farming circles..
    I'm struggling at the moment although mine isn't farming related it does restrict what I can do... On a good day I need help with any heavy work... working the tractor where I need to turn round all the time to look back is a killer...

Have a degenerative condition made much worse a few years ago when an idiot in a transit tried to drive across my car head on... in fairness to him he made it up to the wipers before he ran out of steam :(

Enough moaning... tis a lovely sunny day here

I hurt mine a few years ago throwing rolls of plastic of the table of the wrapper. It came around after a fortnight but it has happened me 5 or 6 times since. Once you hurt it I dont think it ever comes 100% again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I hurt mine a few years ago throwing rolls of plastic of the table of the wrapper. It came around after a fortnight but it has happened me 5 or 6 times since. Once you hurt it I dont think it ever comes 100% again.

Damn right. Mine first got bad when I was 17 and has been so since, I hate to say it but I'll be turning 40 in a few weeks. Sick of tablets and injections, cancelled my last round of injections, and don't feel too much the worse for it either !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

blue5000 wrote: »
    Looks like a cold weekend and more of the same next week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=165

Summer is here!

Crackin' day here in Cavan, and of course I'm stuck in the office!

Need a sly excuse to get out on the road for the afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Crackin' day here in Cavan, and of course I'm stuck in the office!

Need a sly excuse to get out on the road for the afternoon
    overcast here:mad: but not raining:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lovely day in Mayo too. Can't wait for lunch hour so I can get out in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Damn right. Mine first got bad when I was 17 and has been so since, I hate to say it but I'll be turning 40 in a few weeks. Sick of tablets and injections, cancelled my last round of injections, and don't feel too much the worse for it either !

I have a bad back, or at least I had during the winter. I use the hand yard slurry scraper a lot during the winter, so I was putting it down to this. I changed my chair at work too to a wheeled one. I noticed in the last week or so that the pain is gone. It's down to one of these, not sure which.......:D. You'd be amazed how simple things like sitting posture and the right stretching exercises can really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Nice and warm here in Limerick, fertiliser here I come this afternoon!

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Nice and warm here in Limerick, fertiliser here I come this afternoon!
    put some out this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Would you try a chiropractor, Rory Murphy in mullingar is very good, people come from all over to him, I had very bad back pain for years, hospital consultant told me after xray mri etc that I'd have to live with it, but murphy sorted it and he won't hurt you....much, haven't had bad pain for years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pakalasa wrote: »
    I have a bad back, or at least I had during the winter. I use the hand yard slurry scraper a lot during the winter, so I was putting it down to this. I changed my chair at work too to a wheeled one. I noticed in the last week or so that the pain is gone. It's down to one of these, not sure which.......:D. You'd be amazed how simple things like sitting posture and the right stretching exercises can really help.

When I hurt my back, I had to go see a physio.
    When I was there, I asked about shoulder pain, as I had developed a dodgy shoulder somehow. she asked me to show her how I sat at work - I did. That was my problem, she told me to move around keyboard, mouse, & to change chair. Within a few days, my shoulders were better...
    She was saying she sees an awful lot of people with similar back / shoulder / wrist complaints, all from the way they sit for 8 hrs a day.

rancher wrote: »
    Would you try a chiropractor, Rory Murphy in mullingar is very good, people come from all over to him, I had very bad back pain for years, hospital consultant told me after xray mri etc that I'd have to live with it, but murphy sorted it and he won't hurt you....much, haven't had bad pain for years now

Naah.
    Been to a few. But with current problems I've been warned that going back to one could lead to permanent disability. Never got any releif from them.
    I was just having a moan really, out on the road for the afternoon in the sun so much happier now.

Naah.
    Been to a few. But with current problems I've been warned that going back to one could lead to permanent disability. Never got any releif from them.
    I was just having a moan really, out on the road for the afternoon in the sun so much happier now.

I was told the same, doctors don't like chiros, ''six weeks physio in five minutes'' they call it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I do a bit of weights nothin extreme, but ive never had any back trouble. carrying weight around the abdomin will cause trouble in the long run. All the pullin and draggin will take its toll eventually tho. theres a good lad in gort, ill find out hes name for u if ye want

I was told the same, doctors don't like chiros, ''six weeks physio in five minutes'' they call it

Madness my consultant calls it.
    Weren't they banned in Canada due to the number of cases of permanent peralisis in their patients. In fairness they often do severe " manipulations" based on very little investigation and no radiography, essentially working blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

leg wax wrote: »
    straw shed just filled with 200 4x4 bales of golden barley straw.:D

Some fellows are mad to be the first one out cutting :D.
    Ordered mine last week as it cheaper that growing it, so I will sell my own:rolleyes:

Madness my consultant calls it.
    Weren't they banned in Canada due to the number of cases of permanent peralisis in their patients. In fairness they often do severe " manipulations" based on very little investigation and no radiography, essentially working blind.

I just wasn't prepared to live with the back pain,so I had nothing to lose when I found this guy, could'nt farm, catch sheep or even cough

I just wasn't prepared to live with the back pain,so I had nothing to lose when I found this guy, could'nt farm, catch sheep or even cough
    god they say women are bad for complaining:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Oul lad had operation to repair some of the damage to the ligaments in his knee yesterday. He's back out of hospital tomorrow;)

It'I be 6-9mths according to Doc's before all's back to normal

got some cattle out today:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Many of ye suffer from bad back ?? Must be very common in farming circles..
    I'm struggling at the moment although mine isn't farming related it does restrict what I can do... On a good day I need help with any heavy work... working the tractor where I need to turn round all the time to look back is a killer...

Have a degenerative condition made much worse a few years ago when an idiot in a transit tried to drive across my car head on... in fairness to him he made it up to the wipers before he ran out of steam :(

Enough moaning... tis a lovely sunny day here

Have you tried the Bowen Technique ? I couldn't believe the relief I got

http://www.boweninfo.com/

I have recommended to a few people , some got good results and other just minor but all were postive

Good Luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

Just done my own knee in (playing a bit of junior hurling) scan was ok just some small ligament tears and cartilage damage but physio reckons it will be months comming right. Wife not too happy as we have a newborn, boss not happy as i cant travel as much and auld fella not happy cause i cant catch the calves for tagging :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

chiros are a shower of chancers. done my back 6 or 7 years ago(couldnt even walk for a short spell).Got aenough relief to do a bit for a few years and then it went again. Then spent 6 months walking like an old man who spent ost of his life carrying coal. was with every conceivable form of quack imaginable and no cure. The doc told me i would definately have to get it operated and i was booked in; 12-18 MONTHS OUT OF WORK.
    A lad gave me a no of a guy, i tried and thank f*k i,m flying again.
    I know most reading this will say ive tried everything and usually sit saying another waste of time, but if any of you want his no. pm me.
    Couldnt say enough good things about him. when you finally get proper relief you dont know what to do with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

1chippy wrote: »
    chiros are a shower of chancers. done my back 6 or 7 years ago(couldnt even walk for a short spell).Got aenough relief to do a bit for a few years and then it went again. Then spent 6 months walking like an old man who spent ost of his life carrying coal. was with every conceivable form of quack imaginable and no cure. The doc told me i would definately have to get it operated and i was booked in; 12-18 MONTHS OUT OF WORK.

.............when you finally get proper relief you dont know what to do with yourself.

Agree with the posts on many quacks & chancers out there .... I don't see 20+something year olds with a 90 day Back Alley Diploma or completion of a correspondence course in medicine really being able to do a lot for our 40+ year olds with back / disc issues.

There are reputable Chinese / Asian Traditional Medicine clinics out there with trained people who studied craft for 7 years or more.

Saw successful results 1st hand and with friends several times with acupuncture (incl those hot needles and candle-in-cups) and proper massage.
    (Not the happy ending type either!)

Follow up medicines too ... boiled soups made of ginseng, wolfberry, " tropical tree bark" and believe it or not pig's tails (full of gelatinous material same as in human backbone cartilage).
    Aye lads ,,,, ye'd be fit for the Olympic gymnastics after a few treatments.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Every farmer I know is suffering from either a bad back, arthritis in the hips etc. Do you not think it's time all farmers should get proper training in manual handling? We have to do one regularly in work. It's a real eye opener. It might save a lot of unnecessary suffering.

Every farmer I know is suffering from either a bad back, arthritis in the hips etc. Do you not think it's time all farmers should get proper training in manual handling? We have to do one regularly in work. It's a real eye opener. It might save a lot of unnecessary suffering.

Its not lifting heavy weights that cause the problems, its lifting light weights that have a mind of their own...ie sheep,

Its not lifting heavy weights that cause the problems, its lifting light weights that have a mind of their own...ie sheep,
    or pulling a calf , or moving a downer cow

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

Why do you need to b lifting sheep up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Johnsey wrote: »
    Why do you need to b lifting sheep up?

Shearing, hoof trimming, checking under bellies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

two of us are thinking of going up and over to sixmilebridge mart on saturday for a look ,anyone know what time it starts and directions,thanks in adv
    Coming from Waterford, take the Ennis road from Limerick City to Co. Clare. Head out the Ennis road until the first flyover after about 5 miles. Up through Cratloe village and then on into Sixmilebridge. When you arrive in the center of SMB village, take a left over the small bridge, then a right. The mart is out that road, on the right hand side after a mile and 1/2. You'll pass the hurling field and school as you go. Starts at 11am as far as I know.
    It's a small enough Mart compared to say Ennis, up the road.

well did you travel up if so what did ya think....

• Advertisement

What a feck up of a day yesterday. Was dehorning calves in the morning and knocked another twist out of my back. Went to the mart in gort in the evening then with a bull and a heifer. The bull went buck ape and tried to jump out of the ring and the scales, the heifer was a November calf and was 220kg and only making 550, I said no sale, auctioneer told me not to be so thick that I was getting the price of her...I told the auctioneer I know the road to Ennis too. Came home then to a cow bawling at 11 o clock lastnight and her calf having meningitas, had to catch him and bring him to the vet but she reckoned he should be ok because we got it early. She reckons it was the stress of the dehorning that brought it on, Anyone ever hear that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jerdee wrote: »
    well did you travel up if so what did ya think....
    its tomorrow we are thinking of going:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

ladies and lads, have a lamborgini 1050 premium and last week i had the pan mixer on it for the first time. ANd it was lifting the front axle. The tractor is same as a SAME 100.4. Looking for weights on donedeal and only set in donegal (the very top at mizen head) . i need 250kg plus so blocks wount work. any other ideas apart from only mixing a smaller batch? i ended up reversing with with every batch.

any other ideas

Do what any farm did in the 90s.

Tie kids to the front. Simples:p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

ladies and lads, have a lamborgini 1050 premium and last week i had the pan mixer on it for the first time. ANd it was lifting the front axle. The tractor is same as a SAME 100.4. Looking for weights on donedeal and only set in donegal (the very top at mizen head) . i need 250kg plus so blocks wount work. any other ideas apart from only mixing a smaller batch? i ended up reversing with with every batch.

Fill the front tyres with water. ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

What a feck up of a day yesterday. Was dehorning calves in the morning and knocked another twist out of my back. Went to the mart in gort in the evening then with a bull and a heifer. The bull went buck ape and tried to jump out of the ring and the scales, the heifer was a November calf and was 220kg and only making 550, I said no sale, auctioneer told me not to be so thick that I was getting the price of her...I told the auctioneer I know the road to Ennis too. Came home then to a cow bawling at 11 o clock lastnight and her calf having meningitas, had to catch him and bring him to the vet but she reckoned he should be ok because we got it early. She reckons it was the stress of the dehorning that brought it on, Anyone ever hear that before?

I have put off dehorning my calves while the weather has been so bad. Extra stress brought on by dehorning could lead to pneumonia, scours etc. Never had a calf with meningitis tho. Hope he pulls through for you.

tanko wrote: »
    I have put off dehorning my calves while the weather has been so bad. Extra stress brought on by dehorning could lead to pneumonia, scours etc. Never had a calf with meningitis tho. Hope he pulls through for you.
    We had a few fine days together so thats why we went at them. It came on in in the space of a few hours. He was going around the field and the cow was bawling at him and he kept running away, never bawled back to her and then he started throwing himself down and his ears and head were kind of going into a spasm, the best way I could describe it is he was running around like a headless chicken. Was lucky to cop it so early on to be honest. Hes much improved today though, has bonded with the cow again and sucked, hopefully he will keep on that track!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://www.charolais.ie/video.php
    was just looking at this video of charolais sale, notice the same breeder from scotland seems to be buying all the high priced bulls, wonder what he does with all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

http://www.charolais.ie/video.php
    was just looking at this video of charolais sale, notice the same breeder from scotland seems to be buying all the high priced bulls, wonder what he does with all of them

Runs them with all his cows? :confused: How many bulls would you want for 300 or 400+ cows? He'd get better value out of them too because he could rotate them around

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Runs them with all his cows? :confused: How many bulls would you want for 300 or 400+ cows? He'd get better value out of them too because he could rotate them around

googled him
    http://www.falleninchcharolais.com/news.html

why do people sell stock as pbnr? for the sake of 40 or 50 euro would it not make sense to register them and get a better price:confused:

[MOD]
    Moved from another thread.
    [/MOD]

jesus vander you really nose around the place:eek::D

got the auld eyes lasered there a few years back, can see the grass growing now ;)

got the auld eyes lasered there a few years back, can see the grass growing now ;)

Got that done myself.....jesus I didn't think about the fact that I'd have to watch them inject and CUT MY EYE OPEN.....!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Got that done myself.....jesus I didn't think about the fact that I'd have to watch them inject and CUT MY EYE OPEN.....!!!!:eek:
    i no this is not the place but where did u get them done iam thinking of doing it what sort of ££££ are we talking

naughto wrote: »
    i no this is not the place but where did u get them done iam thinking of doing it what sort of ££££ are we talking

its prob nearly 10 years since i did mine, cost approx 4 grand in blackrock clinic and got nearly half back thru some tax thingy, no sure what it is now though, cheaper i would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

its prob nearly 10 years since i did mine, cost approx 4 grand in blackrock clinic and got nearly half back thru some tax thingy, no sure what it is now though, cheaper i would think
    so about 2grand an eye thats not to bad

my eldest lad helps me with the milking at weekend, he sprays the cows and lets the rows in and out - every bit helps- this evening as i was putting on a row i heard a wallop on the bar of the parlour , looked up , it was all action and no sound for a few seconds , he got a kick:eek: got a fair wallop on the hand off a quiet cow while teat spraying her.. bruise came up straight away... we where trying to get finished to go to local to see liverpool game... anyways alls ok thank god... first kick of many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

naughto wrote: »
    so about 2grand an eye thats not to bad

Got mine done last year for 2,900 I think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Should have said that was 2650 after health insurance - 10 months interest free

worked out great for me anyway, as karen says though its a bit hairy while its actually happening,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement