Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

worked out great for me anyway, as karen says though its a bit hairy while its actually happening,

Yeah it's a great job - well worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

This is the FARMING .....PHOTOS ........thread I'm in? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    my eldest lad helps me with the milking at weekend, he sprays the cows and lets the rows in and out - every bit helps- this evening as i was putting on a row i heard a wallop on the bar of the parlour , looked up , it was all action and no sound for a few seconds , he got a kick:eek: got a fair wallop on the hand off a quiet cow while teat spraying her.. bruise came up straight away... we where trying to get finished to go to local to see liverpool game... anyways alls ok thank god... first kick of many!

Tell the young fellow what Freidrich Nietzsche said:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"

And while he's young get him playing Hurling...........Make a man of him;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

hey vander put up a pic of the new eyes and will tell you if it was worth it:D.**** too muchwine:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGgIJHfnsHRd2zEY1oCzPO9skG_S-2qj1QES5Z-XXp0VTGQQHf5w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    This is the FARMING .....PHOTOS ........thread I'm in? :rolleyes:
    Muckit wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGgIJHfnsHRd2zEY1oCzPO9skG_S-2qj1QES5Z-XXp0VTGQQHf5w

Hey :mad: What's that got to do with farming?????

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Bizzum wrote: »
    Tell the young fellow what Freidrich Nietzsche said:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"

And while he's young get him playing Hurling...........Make a man of him;)
    my father in law played hurling for dublin, they where beaten in the all ireland final ( i think) in the 1950's.... he's well recovered now, said he will avoid 707 for life:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

my father in law played hurling for dublin, they where beaten in the all ireland final ( i think) in the 1950's.... he's well recovered now, said he will avoid 707 for life:D

Cork beat Dublin in 1952 and went on to win 3 in a row,

Gaelic and rugger for the young lads, soccer is for the Michael Flatney's

Last calf of the season this morn and he is a huge whopper, a lm bull from a mo cow, fairly tough pull, left them while i let out the cows and when i came back both were up and the calf getting his 'breakfast' :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

ladies and lads, have a lamborgini 1050 premium and last week i had the pan mixer on it for the first time. ANd it was lifting the front axle. The tractor is same as a SAME 100.4. Looking for weights on donedeal and only set in donegal (the very top at mizen head) . i need 250kg plus so blocks wount work. any other ideas apart from only mixing a smaller batch? i ended up reversing with with every batch.

think you're getting malin and mizen mixed up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...said he will avoid 707 for life:D
    ???????????

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    ???????????
    the cow that kicked him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

ok OK, so not "snowman 707" then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

its prob nearly 10 years since i did mine, cost approx 4 grand in blackrock clinic and got nearly half back thru some tax thingy, no sure what it is now though, cheaper i would think
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mine cost €1200 and I got €200 back!!
    Got it done up in Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

the cow that kicked him
    :D...I thought it was slang for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

speed read this, this am & spent the last 5 hours thinking how long it took you f-in-law to recover from the 1952 final :o:o thought the cork lads must have been hatched men :eek:
    ok OK, so not "snowman 707" then!

no need to avoid me, (well most of the time anyhow) ;)

snowman707 wrote: »
    speed read this, this am & spent the last 5 hours thinking how long it took you f-in-law to recover from the 1952 final :o:o thought the cork lads must have been hatched men :eek:

no need to avoid me, (well most of the time anyhow) ;)
    i think i am wrong in my dates saw a pic of f-i-l today in the leinster final of 1962, he died in 1995 the day after dublin won the all ireland was only 58 of a heart attack... also the day after we got engaged :o r.i.p

lovely evening here, cheers everyone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've just put in the wrong breed for a calf when I registered it on agfood.ie. What do I do now to correct it?

just do it wrote: »
    I've just put in the wrong breed for a calf when I registered it on agfood.ie. What do I do now to correct it?

Email laura.lowry@agriculture.gov.ie & give all your details- herd num, address, pps num etc. Explain the situation and leave your num and she'll get back to you.

On a completely other note, my neighbour (landlord) rang in a panic saying he had a calf stuck in a ditch of water and needed help quick.....I was in pyjamas so just stuck on wellies and ran over. He nearly wet himself laughing upon seeing me. I don't blame him:o
    img00429201205062044.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

i think they let you change it for a while. Just go to animal registrations, awaiting registration and edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Email laura.lowry@agriculture.gov.ie & give all your details- herd num, address, pps num etc. Explain the situation and leave your num and she'll get back to you.

On a completely other note, my neighbour (landlord) rang in a panic saying he had a calf stuck in a ditch of water and needed help quick.....I was in pyjamas so just stuck on wellies and ran over. He nearly wet himself laughing upon seeing me. I don't blame him:o
    img00429201205062044.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You would have got into plenty of nighclubs back in the 70's with worse:D;)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You would have got into plenty of nighclubs back in the 70's with worse:D;)

I wouldn't mind but they were a joke present bought for me at Christmas:o
    Only welles in the house so had to peg them on and go. Got the calf out at least so I don't mind looking like a fool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Finno59 wrote: »

i think they let you change it for a while. Just go to animal registrations, awaiting registration and edit.
    Thanks Finno. I went into"awaiting registration". Only option was to delete so I did that and re-entered the details. Sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

need to book a sun holiday for the family, need some suggestions on good resorts.

main priority is the kid, clean safe and plenty of entertainment, kids club and a good pool area.
    all they want to do is swim for the week, and we need to put our feet up and get some rest, its been a very busy spring

sorry mods if its not posted in the right place

sunset beach club.... fbd own it we go there every year, kids love it... 20 minutes from malaga airport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Malaga is a nice spot we were there this time last year, it was nice weather and not too packed with tourists . Plenty for the kids to do

st john de mont in france going back for our second time,longest beech i have ever seen,and i hate sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Jersey is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

ladies and lads, have a lamborgini 1050 premium and last week i had the pan mixer on it for the first time. ANd it was lifting the front axle. The tractor is same as a SAME 100.4. Looking for weights on donedeal and only set in donegal (the very top at mizen head) . i need 250kg plus so blocks wount work. any other ideas apart from only mixing a smaller batch? i ended up reversing with with every batch.

Saw a good idea over on the british farming forum. A guy made a steel box and put various random weights in it that he had lying around, figured it was cheaper than buying the specific weights for his machine.

How are you with the welder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

moving cows and calves yesterday when i noticed one od the calves panting and the tongue out, got them into yard, got my new digital thermometer, 39.9, rang vet, he said deffo pneumonia so got the injections off him, she looks perfect in shed today so think she will be fine, weather i suppose, very hot and cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

weather very dangerous at moment was going to bed last night looked out and it was milling decided to bring in week old calves with mothers
    they were happy out to stay in shed when i left gate open this am

ps anybody having trouble spotting cows bulling my teaser seems on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Had to take back a heifer this week. Sold her last september and she is 18 months old now. Apparenty she's in calf.

Now I'm a genuine and honest person. If there is a fault, I'll take the animal back. I have a fairly good reputation for cattle, and I want to keep that. The thing is that I kept all my heifers separate from my bulls last year. If she was bulled, she was caught in the mart. The buyer's vet handled the heifer and he said that she is at least 8 months gone? She is in a pen now with 2 x 24 month heifers taht are due to calve in July. If she was bulled on my farm or in the mart then she should calve before the middle of June. She is off a good milking cow and should have a good bag of milk. However, you would hardly notice her springing - even though she got good feeding. Whereas the 2 heifers due to calve a month later than her are already making nice bags of milk, and they weren't fed at all.

Now, I had to pay a lot of money in compensation for this animal to include mart fees, transport from the mart, feeding costs and testing costs - €650 to be exact. And I had to collect the animal myself last weekend.

At the current moment, I have serious doubts that she was bulled on my farm - I have seen a lot of in-calf heifers in my time and am a pretty good judge, and this heifer is far more than a month away from calving. In the name of honesty and good will, I took the heifer back, his vet handled the heifer twice before she was returned to me and is confident that she is that far gone? I wonder how accurate he would be?

I have a suspicion that he will be coming to collect his in calf heifer from me this time and paying me compensation for collecting & retesting her.

Its an unusual situation.

wait and see what she calves down to... i have a heifer springing up and god only knows what she is in calf to as she was with a group of heifers all last year:o reckon neighbours bull might have been in...not being smart but we would never sell a heifer without either estrumating her or getting her handled, saves alot of crap down the line

wait and see what she calves down to... i have a heifer springing up and god only knows what she is in calf to as she was with a group of heifers all last year:o reckon neighbours bull might have been in...not being smart but we would never sell a heifer without either estrumating her or getting her handled, saves alot of crap down the line

She was only a weinling when she was sold and we were sure that wasn't bulled on our farm. We can't do a lot more than that really. I normally estrumate anything that I have a doubt about. I got caught before!

The thing is I don't think she will calve on our farm at all. If she goes for the next 4 to 5 weeks without calving then I'll know for sure that she was bulled on his farm and she will be going straight back to him!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Saw a good idea over on the british farming forum. A guy made a steel box and put various random weights in it that he had lying around, figured it was cheaper than buying the specific weights for his machine.

How are you with the welder?

I am poor. :rolleyes:. A spot here and there to get me off the road as they say.

i get a local lad to do my welding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

leg wax wrote: »
    st john de mont in france going back for our second time,longest beech i have ever seen,and i hate sand.

Gets my vote too. Been there twice in the last few years. Actually the French campsite holiday has my vote every year. We've been for nine years and are booked to go again this year, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

dar31 wrote: »
    need to book a sun holiday for the family, need some suggestions on good resorts.

main priority is the kid, clean safe and plenty of entertainment, kids club and a good pool area.
    all they want to do is swim for the week, and we need to put our feet up and get some rest, its been a very busy spring

sorry mods if its not posted in the right place

fancy a 4 berth caravan with awning for sale. Good price to a boardie ;)

Typical luck i have to sell the outlaws caravan while my OH is in Majorica this week. She broke her ankle 4 weeks ago and is struggling with been inactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Just a quick question, what do ye do with yer empty glass medicine bottles, can they just be recycled normally?

reilig wrote: »
    She was only a weinling when she was sold and we were sure that wasn't bulled on our farm. We can't do a lot more than that really. I normally estrumate anything that I have a doubt about. I got caught before!

The thing is I don't think she will calve on our farm at all. If she goes for the next 4 to 5 weeks without calving then I'll know for sure that she was bulled on his farm and she will be going straight back to him!! ;)

God Reilig, just after reading this tread....that all seems very messy... and expensive :o It sounds no matter what happens there are no winners. Best of luck with it all.

My first time trying to fatten a few heifers could be a steep learning curve :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

This should be an example of why a good system of tracability is important in Agri. I hope it works out for you. Be concious of the time some of these heifers can carry a calf, you'd nearly want to get to 300 days the way some of them go on!
    We have been caught a couple of time too, none more so than this year, although we kill all our own heifers so no 3rd party involved, but it's hard to believe how some of these heifers get incalf. Betimes it's doesn't take much of a weanling to do the job!

• Advertisement

i hope you made that clear to him when you were taking her back,that she may be going back to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

lads had a cow calf 12days early today. now all is well calf is up and sucking but very small. What does cows to calf early??

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Oh man that def sounds like a right handling surely there Reilig..
    I often bought heifers that proved in calf but 650 euro compensation? Lord above I must be the softest sh*te around. I bought a 380kg ch heifer for breeding in nov'11 and she started springing easter w'end. i got back thru the mart to the seller and he took her back. In fairness he was an honourable gent so I just asked him for 150e on top of the purchase price.....
    That fella really went to town on you, those little types aren't hard fed.

The best of luck I hope your right about her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

had a cow calve a few weeks back. was expecting a limo after the stock bull. instead she shoved out a bb heifer calf. she must of got done by a strong bb weanling. he could only have been 9 1/2 months old. horny little bugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Had to take back a heifer this week. Sold her last september and she is 18 months old now. Apparenty she's in calf.

Now I'm a genuine and honest person. If there is a fault, I'll take the animal back. I have a fairly good reputation for cattle, and I want to keep that. The thing is that I kept all my heifers separate from my bulls last year. If she was bulled, she was caught in the mart. The buyer's vet handled the heifer and he said that she is at least 8 months gone? She is in a pen now with 2 x 24 month heifers taht are due to calve in July. If she was bulled on my farm or in the mart then she should calve before the middle of June. She is off a good milking cow and should have a good bag of milk. However, you would hardly notice her springing - even though she got good feeding. Whereas the 2 heifers due to calve a month later than her are already making nice bags of milk, and they weren't fed at all.

Now, I had to pay a lot of money in compensation for this animal to include mart fees, transport from the mart, feeding costs and testing costs - €650 to be exact. And I had to collect the animal myself last weekend.

At the current moment, I have serious doubts that she was bulled on my farm - I have seen a lot of in-calf heifers in my time and am a pretty good judge, and this heifer is far more than a month away from calving. In the name of honesty and good will, I took the heifer back, his vet handled the heifer twice before she was returned to me and is confident that she is that far gone? I wonder how accurate he would be?

I have a suspicion that he will be coming to collect his in calf heifer from me this time and paying me compensation for collecting & retesting her.

Its an unusual situation.

he is taking the piss big time, but i suppose if he had being feeding her since the day she was bought that nearly 250 days divided into 650 is 2.60e a day and this includes all expenses so maybe not completely over the top 'if' she was bulled before she was sold. finishing animals aint cheap you know. What sort of weight gain would you think the heifer has done since you sold her?

I bought a heifer last week, very forward animals, well fed, went out the following evening and she had a white heifer calf standing beside her. little or no sign what so ever, and she was on a finishing diet before I bought her

he is taking the piss big time, but i suppose if he had being feeding her since the day she was bought that nearly 250 days divided into 650 is 2.60e a day and this includes all expenses so maybe not completely over the top 'if' she was bulled before she was sold. finishing animals aint cheap you know. What sort of weight gain would you think the heifer has done since you sold her?

I bought a heifer last week, very forward animals, well fed, went out the following evening and she had a white heifer calf standing beside her. little or no sign what so ever, and she was on a finishing diet before I bought her

I agree that finishing an animal isn't cheap. I also realise that he faces making no profit on this animal if she is in calf. he also had transport fees, agent fees etc.

The heifer wasn't on a finishing diet - she only got grass for september and october, silage for november, december and january and has been on grass only since.

Its a tricky situation. I am being fair to him. He seems straight enough too. A joker could have induced the heifer and made her calve down before now and we would never know where she was bulled.

I'm going to have to sit it out for a few weeks and hope for the best I suppose!

what did you do with the heifer you bought, did you go back to the previous owner, have seen sucklers spring up over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

We're trying to sell a crop of silage at the moment.

it's actually funny the number of chancers looking to get the maps with it.

It's a single cut of silage for gods sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

at long last, the last one calved this morning, another spring calving over and done with.
    another week of Ai then i can put the feet up,
    well maybe after i get the maize in, the 1st cut in and the kale in, then ill put the feet up.
    going to book me summer holidays when the missus comes home from work tonight:D:D

• Advertisement

was my youngest childs birthday today, he was 4.. we went to grannys house for cake this afternoon.. she lives a couple of hundred yards up the road... eldest 2 aged 11 and 8 decided to walk homewhile i drove, busy enough road... i passed them on the waydown,and waited at the entrance to our lane, no sign reversed back up the road, she (8) sitting on the white line in middle of the road while the elder lad took pics of her on his phone:eek::eek::eek::eek:nearly had a heart attack, now both have a week ban off the computer..cars go really fast up the raod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement