Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Oh christ the heart must of been sideways in you :eek:
    Wait until they are old enough to start drinking , thats when you will really have to start worrying . I know my mother had a few sleepless nights waiting up for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

On another related / semi-related matter....
    I'm wondering about getting cows and heifers scanned...now these animals should be mi nimum 3 / 4 months in calf.....has anyone got scanning done on cattle at that stage of pregnancy?
    I know you can get them handled but I'm curious about the scanning method where the animal is scanned externally.........:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

On another related / semi-related matter....
    I'm wondering about getting cows and heifers scanned...now these animals should be mi nimum 3 / 4 months in calf.....has anyone got scanning done on cattle at that stage of pregnancy?
    I know you can get them handled but I'm curious about the scanning method where the animal is scanned externally.........:confused:

Yeah, we would have routinely scanned at that stage of pregnancy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scanned externally" though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

when i was on a farm in england there was a old farmer, who used to knock the cows side with a stick to see if they where in calf, would only work if they where well on in calf... prefer to know earlier myself then you can work on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Good morning Vietnam :p God it's absolutely miserable weatherwise here all morning. Drizzle drizzle and more drizzle :rolleyes:

RE Scanning, would there be many suckler lads on here that get their cows scanned?
    Would it be a whole herd thing or just a few doubtfuls?

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    when i was on a farm in england there was a old farmer, who used to knock the cows side with a stick to see if they where in calf, would only work if they where well on in calf... prefer to know earlier myself then you can work on it

would the calf jump, or was it sound or something he was going on???:confused:

we scan the sucklers about twice a year... wouldnt be a specialcall out would be when he's doig the milkers or in calf heifers

Muckit wrote: »
    would the calf jump, or was it sound or something he was going on???:confused:
    some thing about the sound the stick would make:confused: a hollow sound or a fluidy sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

some thing about the sound the stick would make:confused: a hollow sound or a fluidy sound

yip some can do it and they claim 100% success :D, I can tell you its a lot more hit and miss than that. called 'thumbing' around these parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Good morning Vietnam :p God it's absolutely miserable weatherwise here all morning. Drizzle drizzle and more drizzle :rolleyes:

RE Scanning, would there be many suckler lads on here that get their cows scanned?

We scan everything. The autumn calvers in March/April and the Spring calvers in September/october.

Best time to scan is 60 to 90 days after going to the bull. However, we have often scanned when they were 5 or 6 months gone to be sure that they were in calf. Scanner man will be able to tell you how long they are gone, but won't be able to tell you if twins after 4 months.

Used to think our scanner man was great until a neighbour informed me that he got a guy to scan who was able to give him the sex of the calves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Rain, rain, rain here in Cavan. Well beyond a joke now. While we have some grass the ground is getting steadily wetter as May goes bye. I suppose I wouldn't mind some rain if it was warm and a growth. But this cool wet weather is awful.
    Cattle don't seem at all contented either, sort of eating for the sake of it, started feeding meal again, a kg each to keep them happy.
    Have a field with 20 heifers and not once have I found them all lying resting as you'd expect during May.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

rain drizzle all morning down here in limerick.

upside grain moving again normally it would be slacking off but busy even in sat last to keep up.

a lad i sold a bull to last winter rang me to say he just scanned and 25 calves in 22 sucker cows happy out.

jerdee wrote: »

a lad i sold a bull to last winter rang me to say he just scanned and 25 calves in 22 sucker cows happy out.

It's great to get good news stories like this ;) I had to read your post again.... safe to say he's fertile! :D

What was that about the grain? Do you sell grain?

What was that about the grain? Do you sell grain?[/Quote]

no i work in warehousing/port where we store loadout feed products to all millers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Thinking of building a small tank under a few pigs. would i need an agitation point? I could also get 5000 gallons of pig slurry delivered . Slats are bought already.

Tank dimensions.

30ft(l) x 8ft (w) x 6ft (D) or 9.090m x 2.424 x 1.818m = 40.058 M3?

so 40.058 x 1000 litres = 40,058 Litres? or (div by 4.54l) = 8823 Gallons?

Am i right?

8ft deep is 8823G (/6ft x 8ft) = 11,764 Gallons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I sold a bull march last year and the guy was ringing me every couple of weeks to let me know how he was doing . . . "he's following a cow today".

Was glad when he rang to say that he had good calves off him. Got a few calves off him myself too and very happy with the quality, so he should be happy too.
    jerdee wrote: »
    rain drizzle all morning down here in limerick.

upside grain moving again normally it would be slacking off but busy even in sat last to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

We calve for about 10 months in the year and scan probably 4-6 times.Our vet does it for us so we try arrange it when theres something else that has to be done so to make the most of the initial call out fee. costs €4 per head regardless of numbers after that. At most cows will only be 60 -70 days served so if 1 or 2 aren't in calf we don't loose tooo much time with them.

reilig wrote: »
    I sold a bull march last year and the guy was ringing me every couple of weeks to let me know how he was doing . . . "he's following a cow today".

Those sort of calls would drive me soft. Alot to be said for the fertility guarantee schemes at some society sales. Let the buyer get onto the insurance company if he has any problems.

From posts I have read about problems with buying/selling heifers and them later proving incalf, there would be alot to be said for commercial marts introducing the option to sell under an insurance scheme.

Perhaps such a version exists already??

Off the top of my head....

The way I would see it working is that as a seller you are offered the insurance when you book them in or in the sellers box. Say an extra 6% on top of your mart fees.

If you opt for the insurance and they are bought for feeding and are later found incalf, then the seller contacts mart who forwards details to the insurance company who deal with the whole mess. The seller walks away from the whole thing the day he leaves the seller's box and nothing can come back to haunt him. The buyer has the reassurance that he will be compensated should such an incident occurr. All would be subject of course to very specific T's & C's.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Yeah, we would have routinely scanned at that stage of pregnancy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scanned externally" though?

I mean without putting the probe through the rectum and instead scanning from the side of the animal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I mean without putting the probe through the rectum and instead scanning from the side of the animal ?

So technically some form of ultrasound like us wimmen get?:p
    I'm sure they exist in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya the lad that scans for me can do the heavier pregnant cows on the side. Only works from about 6 months on.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

rang dvo, at 12.45, closed for lunch from 12.30 til 2pm... rang at 2.15 got the snottiest cow ever, god how some people really know how to make you feel like crap............ :mad:

rang dvo, at 12.45, closed for lunch from 12.30 til 2pm... rang at 2.15 got the snottiest cow ever, god how some people really know how to make you feel like crap............ :mad:

The cheek!
    That's some lunch break too, it's twats like that that get all public servers a bad reputation. I'd also have thought their breaks would be better covered due to Croke park deal.

when she said" what do you want me to do?" i should have said, learn some manners you wagon:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ring her again and explain to her that you suffer from turrets syndrome, then give her an earful:D:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

i rang bandon again, she said i would have to ring the dvo again, explained what the dvo "lady" was like, she said no problem i will sort all that here for you:D i said thank you very much, now problem is sorted no thanks to dvo wagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I see that progressive genetics are after putting out an update for their beef catalogue, looks to be some smashing new bulls in it.

I see that progressive genetics are after putting out an update for their beef catalogue, looks to be some smashing new bulls in it.

is it online???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Is it on their website or paper copy ?

Bodacious wrote: »
    Is it on their website or paper copy ?

Link in my last post to it.

Lads, did any of ye buy a Jarmet sprayer lately? Looking for a 400 liter dipped sprayer. Do they come with a handlance and self fill pump and what kind of money would you be talking? From reading old threads it seems to be whites up north that are the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

i rang bandon again, she said i would have to ring the dvo again, explained what the dvo "lady" was like, she said no problem i will sort all that here for you:D i said thank you very much, now problem is sorted no thanks to dvo wagon

There you go, maybe the dvo lady is right. Treat people like s***, then they are half frightened of you and then you don't have to do anything;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Lads, did any of ye buy a Jarmet sprayer lately? Looking for a 400 liter dipped sprayer. Do they come with a handlance and self fill pump and what kind of money would you be talking? From reading old threads it seems to be whites up north that are the cheapest.

ya got one from whites there a yr or two back, came with handlance, we went for model that wasnt self filling, i think it was 1150 or something like that, courier brought it down. a few small problems with seals which they posted down to me after. the hand wash part the little taps doesnt work, only small things, for the money they are grand

ya got one from whites there a yr or two back, came with handlance, we went for model that wasnt self filling, i think it was 1150 or something like that, courier brought it down. a few small problems with seals which they posted down to me after. the hand wash part the little taps doesnt work, only small things, for the money they are grand

Well for all I would be doing it would do. Normally borrow one of your man I do the silage with but its so hard to get a right day to go spraying you would want your own one really. A friend over the road was going to go halves on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Well for all I would be doing it would do. Normally borrow one of your man I do the silage with but its so hard to get a right day to go spraying you would want your own one really. A friend over the road was going to go halves on it.

ya same as that, cousin is halves with me, sure its barely used

ya same as that, cousin is halves with me, sure its barely used

I might go ringing tomorrow. I emailed whites and the brogans yesterday but I got no reply!!

I emailed whites and the brogans yesterday but I got no reply!!

Have to say that really annoys me...
    Companies need to be on the ball, it suits some of us to email in queries... We still have money to spend !!

bbam wrote: »
    I emailed whites and the brogans yesterday but I got no reply!!

Have to say that really annoys me...
    Companies need to be on the ball, it suits some of us to email in queries... We still have money to spend !!
    +1 there bbam, I'm a bit shy on the phone :)

I bought one of those 2 years ago. galvanised, self fill, handlance 400litre... the same as the one you are thinkin about.
    it was 1250 from mc cords in cookstown. For the money they are grand. as you said the window for spraying is very small this time of year and its hard to beat your own but they are soft and light...if I was to go again I'd have spent an extra 1500 on a stronger model.
    Buy cheap buy twice as the saying goes..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ya the lad that scans for me can do the heavier pregnant cows on the side. Only works from about 6 months on.
    Ah right I knew I wasn't dreamin....
    How accurate is it regarding time, sex and twins do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Great stuff. I'd never heard of it being done for cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Whats the difference in going halves or borrowing it? It will still never be in your place when u want it.

Whats the difference in going halves or borrowing it? It will still never be in your place when u want it.
    The lad I borrow it off is a contractor I work with 8 miles away, when I want to go spraying he normally has spraying to do aswel. The lad I was going buying it with works 5 days a week, has a small farm and would only need to use it one or 2 days in the year and we only live over the road from each other, the land I have to spray is actually closer to his house than mine. It's very hard to get agood day for spraying and by the time I'm gone down to borrow the other one the most of the day is gone if he's not using it himself.

Has JohnGalway fallin' off the face of the planet? Haven't seen any posts/pics from him in a while... ??

Has JohnGalway fallin' off the face of the planet? Haven't seen any posts/pics from him in a while... ??

Two guys are walking through the woods and come across this big deep
    hole.
    "Wow...that looks deep."

"Sure does... toss a few pebbles in there and see how deep it is."

They pick up a few pebbles and throw them in and wait... no noise.

"Jeeez. That is REALLY deep... here.. throw one of these great big rocks
    down there. Those should make a noise."

They pick up a couple football-sized rocks and toss them into the hole
    and wait... and wait. Nothing.

They look at each other in amazement. One gets a determined look on his
    face and says, "Hey...over here in the weeds, there's a
    railroad tie. Help me carry it over here. When we toss THAT sucker in,
    it's GOTTA make some noise."

The two men drag the heavy tie over to the hole and heave it in. Not a
    sound comes from the hole.

Suddenly, out of the nearby woods, a sheep appears, running like the
    wind. It rushes toward the two men, then right past them,
    running as fast as it's legs will carry it. Suddenly it leaps in the air
    and into the hole.
    The two men are astonished with what they've just seen...
    Then, out of the woods comes a farmer who spots the men and ambles over.
    Hey... you two guys seen my sheep out here?

You bet we did! Craziest thing I ever seen! It came running like crazy
    and just jumped into this hole!

Nah, says the farmer, That couldn't have been MY sheep. My sheep was
    chained to a railroad tie.

John is still looking for that sheep.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Jesus :eek: So that's what happened to Baaaaaaaaaabra, me best ewe!

I go away for less than 24 hours and the FBI are called :D

I've no hair brained schemes on the go at the moment so no threads to post and PhotoBucket say I'm too popular (until the 18th anyway) to let me post any more of my photos :D

(Must remember to bring the tagger the next time I'm in Mayo and even out that other ear :p )

johngalway wrote: »

(Must remember to bring the tagger the next time I'm in Mayo and even out that other ear :p )

:pac:

Got a few replys there now. Whites €1180 for a 400 liter galvinised with 10m booms.

johngalway wrote: »
    I go away for less than 24 hours and the FBI are called :D

I've no hair brained schemes on the go at the moment so no threads to post

Phew! Your OK! :D I hope you got yourself the IFJ this week, sheep special... you'I soon have more things to be scheming about! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement