Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Got a few replys there now. Whites €1180 for a 400 liter galvinised with 10m booms.

make sure you can get parts handy for whatever sprayer you purchase. You'I always need to get a few nozzles etc or more if it gets frost damage over a hard winter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    make sure you can get parts handy for whatever sprayer you purchase. You'I always need to get a few nozzles etc or more if it gets frost damage over a hard winter ;)

in fairness there seems to be heaps of the jarmet stuff about and whites have sent me nozzles etc twice, on both occasions they had the address wrong but the stuff still arrived eventually :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Phew! Your OK! :D I hope you got yourself the IFJ this week, sheep special... you'I soon have more things to be scheming about! ;)

OK? God no, sure don't us farmers always have something to bitch and moan about :pac: I'm "not too bad" :D

Nah I don't buy it, but I'm sure the ould fella might have done, thanks for the heads up I'll have to check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Driving day today here, good view of the country, my fields are so small:(!!! 500km up already and heading for a refuel :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Driving day today here, good view of the country, my fields are so small:(!!! 500km up already and heading for a refuel :mad:

Time to get a good horse again Bob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Driving day today here, good view of the country, my fields are so small:(!!!

If it helps I'll invite you up to my few acres in North Mayo - i guarantee you'll leave feeling much better about your fields:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

-1.5 here last night.
    Good white frost all round and had to leave car running to defrost. No sign of a burst of growth just yet. Madness!

bbam wrote: »
    -1.5 here last night.
    Good white frost all round and had to leave car running to defrost. No sign of a burst of growth just yet. Madness!

Ken Ring (NZ long range forecaster) was on radio the other day. He didn't exactly have a great prediction for Ireland. Below average temps and higher rainfall. Dry spells end of June, end of July and sometime in October.

I'm not sure I believe in long range forecasting, but all the same after last year In this part of the country) it didn't make for the happiest listening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

After spending the last 5 hours walking looking for a cow that's gone missing calving and no sign of her, I'm fit to crack up now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

After spending the last 5 hours walking looking for a cow that's gone missing calving and no sign of her, I'm fit to crack up now!!
    well get back out there and keep walking:D,nothing worse when you know what she is at, fingers crossed its a bull.

leg wax wrote: »
    well get back out there and keep walking:D,nothing worse when you know what she is at, fingers crossed its a bull.
    Spent another few hours looking for her there, no good :( I hope to Jesus she has appeared out in the morning with a calf running after her. I had her in a 20 acre field in front of the house so she would be handy to watch but she must have broke out, it's like she has disappeared off the face of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Spent another few hours looking for her there, no good :( I hope to Jesus she has appeared out in the morning with a calf running after her. I had her in a 20 acre field in front of the house so she would be handy to watch but she must have broke out, it's like she has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I used never bother walking around looking for calving cows if if didnt find them within the first 30mins. Sure she probably doesnt need a any help and gone away to calve and then a bit of piece and quite.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hope you didn't tie her to a railway sleeper:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's looking for the day old calf in a field of rushes, that I find gas. You know they're there, but you still want to find them. That was way back when we had a lot of rushes, of course...:)

I'd sleep better if I had her seen, there's always tomorrow sure!

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hope you didn't tie her to a railway sleeper:D

That'd just be careless, with the amount of caber tossing going on now-a-days :rolleyes:

pakalasa wrote: »
    It's looking for the day old calf in a field of rushes, that I find gas. You know they're there, but you still want to find them. That was way back when we had a lot of rushes, of course...:)

Few years ago we had a cow calve out in the field... No bother on her, and then a week later we found she had a second calf too :o:o

We're working on the rushes now so no more surprises like that !!

After giving up on her for the day I did my few jobs and had to drop the sister out for the night. Was driving up the road and didnt I spot her 2 farms away with a calf sitting at her head. Did go down to see what she had because it was a long walk and getting dark but I will get a pic of the rap for ye tomorrow. At least I will be able to sleep tonight now.....after the other cow that is sick calves :D

Ye might have been laughing at me saying to yerselves how did he lose a cow. You can see a meadow in the top right corner of the pic, thats where she was meant to be. I thought she had gone into the bushes behind our house in front of where I took the pic but she was actually gone off down past the house being built on the top left corner of the pic! C**t of a place!!!!!

photo-103.jpg

Ye might have been laughing at me saying to yerselves how did he lose a cow. You can see a meadow in the top right corner of the pic, thats where she was meant to be. I thought she had gone into the bushes behind our house in front of where I took the pic but she was actually gone off down past the house being built on the top left corner of the pic! C**t of a place!!!!!

She's not striped and called Wally by any chance?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    She's not striped and called Wally by any chance?:rolleyes:

Haha, not really no. I will have to get bells for the cows like they have in France!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Haha, not really no. I will have to get bells for the cows like they have in France!!

Well, happy ending anyway that she calved away herself and he up and sucking.

I had a cow that i bought calve last night too about 3am (missed good sat night out again) she was in calf to a charolais stock bull so i didnt know what to expect and so late in the year, and the man that sold her to me told me that "she was a youngs mans cow!!" so i thought she would be a handful but quiet as a mouse thank god, white leggy heifer calf

Bodacious wrote: »
    Well, happy ending anyway that she calved away herself and he up and sucking.

I had a cow that i bought calve last night too about 3am (missed good sat night out again) she was in calf to a charolais stock bull so i didnt know what to expect and so late in the year, and the man that sold her to me told me that "she was a youngs mans cow!!" so i thought she would be a handful but quiet as a mouse thank god, white leggy heifer calf

Ya, I was up until half 4 with another cow calving too, I went out with the flashlamp and the calf was up and sucking by itself, didnt check to see if it was a bull or a heifer because her temperment is a bit questionable on a good day. At least you wont have a sick head this morning anyway ;)

Oh No!!! I spent 2 weeks travelling across France and we ended up next to cows w/ bells nearly every night:mad:
    Drove me absolutely daft to the effect that I slept in the car.:o

feckingclangingcows.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Feckin' clangy cows.

Oh No!!! I spent 2 weeks travelling across France and we ended up next to cows w/ bells nearly every night:mad:
    Drove me absolutely daft to the effect that I slept in the car.:o

feckingclangingcows.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Feckin' clangy cows.

She actually looks a bit like the cow in the picture :D It would have saved me a lot of walking if she had one the rap!!

She actually looks a bit like the cow in the picture :D It would have saved me a lot of walking if she had one the rap!!

I actually bought a cow bell as a souvenir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

-1.5 here last night.
    was at a hen party in dublin last night, at 1am the temp guage said 12 degrees, i was saying sure its not even that warm during the day

whelan1 wrote: »
    was at a hen party in dublin last night, at 1am the temp guage said 12 degrees, i was saying sure its not even that warm during the day

Ah that gauge must be broken :D Or it could be the oul beer goggles! ;-)

Maybe ithe heat was off the hot hens?
    Any late night photos so we could judge for ourselves ;)

• Advertisement

We were visiting friends near kilmurry, Clare. Spotted a fine herd of dairy cows around kilkishin. Would this be the farm the chinese lad visited, he was in Clare right?

We were visiting friends near kilmurry, Clare. Spotted a fine herd of dairy cows around kilkishin. Would this be the farm the chinese lad visited, he was in Clare right?
    I think the farm he visited was on the newmarket sixmilebridge road muckit but could be wrong.

oh and that mart in sixmilebridge, where do they keep it hidden, I couldn't find it out any road!:confused:

oh and that mart in sixmilebridge, where do they keep it hidden, I couldn't find it out any road!:confused:
    Same road :D from kilmurry Go down the road by the church, turn left at the end of that road and the Mart is a few hundred yards over on your left. If you want to turn right at the end of that road you can look in over the wall to see what the better farmers are unto ;)

Same road :D from kilmurry Go down the road by the church, turn left at the end of that road and the Mart is a few hundred yards over on your left. If you want to turn right at the end of that road you can look in over the wall to see what the better farmers are unto ;)

So is the mart nearer Kilmurry? I think I came the way you said! I came down a hill into sixmilebridge. Was there an engineering place on the left??:confused: Don't tell me I passed mart and didn't spot it! :rolleyes:

Maybe ithe heat was off the hot hens?
    Any late night photos so we could judge for ourselves ;)
    i went home early:o deffo 12 degrees on the clock thingy... there was 1 person there giving out about farmers :cool: i kept quiet for a few minutes and then let her know that i a a farmer:P

So is the mart nearer Kilmurry? I think I came the way you said! I came down a hill into sixmilebridge. Was there an engineering place on the left??:confused: Don't tell me I passed mart and didn't spot it! :rolleyes:
    No it still nearer to the bridge but from kilmurry it's the handiest way to go, I tried to go out that way from the bridge myself a few months ago and ended up in Shannon!! Im not used to coming from that side. I would doubt that is the road you came though but if you happen to be in kilmurry again it's the easiest way to find it.

i went home early:o deffo 12 degrees on the clock thingy... there was 1 person there giving out about farmers :cool: i kept quiet for a few minutes and then let her know that i a a farmer:P

Usual story. Most of them moaning don't know a farmer or anything about farming life.

Here is the culprit, she came back by herself but she has the calf hidden, an awful rap she is!!

photo-106.jpg

• Advertisement

Here is the culprit, she came back by herself but she has the calf hidden, an awful rap she is!!

photo-106.jpg
    HAVE TO LAUGH AT THE SMUG HEAD ON HER:D

HAVE TO LAUGH AT THE SMUG HEAD ON HER:D

Are you sure she wasn't in France?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No, that farm is on south west side of Sixmilebridge, about a mile out the road to Shannon.

Is it just me, or is it fairly cool this evening :confused:

it's damp and very windy here. Weather not much better :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Are you sure she wasn't in France?:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM81i2_yYlk

brings back happy memories

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »

I'd let her hold my microphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

never mind ur microphone;) i wonder would she hold down a suck calf when ur tryin to get ur stomach tube down his neck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

never mind ur microphone;) i wonder would she hold down a suck calf when ur tryin to get ur stomach tube down his neck:D
    Or boil an egg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

well lads, any of ye know what would be the average price per acre for grazing in south tipp or around that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Ah Bonnie........turn around bright eyes :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement