Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

2 dogs from a housing estate about 1 mile again attacked my hens and ducks last sat morning. i tracked the owner, she spent all the time looking for them as they broke out of her garden. they also ran calves into the electric fences etc. what do i look off her?

Damage, 1 duckling to be put down tonight ( €10 cost minimum), 1 RIR PB hen died of injuries (€35 is value of these)

5 other hens hurt and not laying, 2 other ducks attacked and 1 of which is not laying?

Calves , well one cut but i looked after that.

(She came up with the excuse that she took them to the vet and he said all was fine) I saw the dogs and so did 2 seperate neightbours with zero connections.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

(She came up with the excuse that she took them to the vet and he said all was fine) I saw the dogs and so did 2 seperate neightbours with zero connections.

She took the two dogs to the vet and he said they were fine?
    What the hell has that got to do with the carnage they just caused?
    You do know your rights if dogs are on your property attacking your lifestock.
    As they're home now- I would suggest informing her that she pays for a veterinary inspect of the calf with the cut along with reasonable remuneration for all the lifestock injured or killed- or else you go to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

smccarrick wrote: »
    She took the two dogs to the vet and he said they were fine?
    What the hell has that got to do with the carnage they just caused?
    You do know your rights if dogs are on your property attacking your lifestock.
    As they're home now- I would suggest informing her that she pays for a veterinary inspect of the calf with the cut along with reasonable remuneration for all the lifestock injured or killed- or else you go to the Gardai.

I am not allowed a gun and i would get it hard to shoot someone elses pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

"not allowed a gun" - I wont ask ;):D

I had sheep attacked by dogs before, and the dogs came back and attacked again - even though the owner had convinced me they would be contained.
    Trust me - you do not want to go out again next Saturday, to find more calves injured, and more hens dead.

I agree with Smccarrick here. You should be compensated for your losses. I would also say you should inform the guards, even if you don't say whose the dogs were, in case the dogs come back. The guards will know its the second time and might take it a bit more seriously.

What does the law state in the case of - someones dogs have attacked, and you followed them back to their owner. Is the owner required by law to have them put down, if you request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well you would be entitled to shoot these dogs if they re-appeared on your property - if their brazen enough to come around your farmyard again I would put them in a shed, take a few photos of damage caused, call gardai and present owner with bill for compensation when she comes to collect said dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Well you would be entitled to shoot these dogs if they re-appeared on your property - if their brazen enough to come around your farmyard again I would put them in a shed, take a few photos of damage caused, call gardai and present owner with bill for compensation when she comes to collect said dogs.

yeah man. I gotta say I'd be merciless when it comes to dogs attacking stock, be it hens, sheep or cattle. especially when the owner fails the attitude test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I came home this evening to find my last cow to calf missing, she was in the wood licking a dead calf (fine fully developed b/w/h IS4 simm bull calf too) she was not 9 months until June 10th so a good 5-6 weeks premature.:mad::mad::mad:

Went out and bought a calf off of a dealer to put on her at first light she has a huge bag of milk so if it works out it'll be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

smccarrick wrote: »
    - or else you go to the Gardai.

One way or another record it through the Gardai.

Is the owner required by law to have them put down, if you request?
    I'm in a hurry off now but my understanding of the law on this issue is no to your question. I'll post the exact wording later if nobody else does in the interm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the law states that if a dog is worrying animals it can be put down, without notifying the owner if its on your land... we did this last year... however if a dog is chasing children you can not put it down... go figure:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bodacious wrote: »
    I came home this evening to find my last cow to calf missing, she was in the wood licking a dead calf (fine fully developed b/w/h IS4 simm bull calf too) she was not 9 months until June 10th so a good 5-6 weeks premature.:mad::mad::mad:

Went out and bought a calf off of a dealer to put on her at first light she has a huge bag of milk so if it works out it'll be worth it

Pity about the dead calf, these things happen. Had premature twins thi year ourselves. Your always left wondering if there could be an underlaying cause :o I hope the fostering goes well. ;) Some lads have great luck with it, we never bothered.

An uncle-in-law of mine always does it though. He lost a calf this year and paid €430 for it's replacement. I hope the figures stack up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

was plesently surprised today when i went for dinner, walked into field on the way to the house to see the downer cows , standing up grazing, a bit wobbly on the back though, she had been down for 10 days, once she knows she can do it there will be no stopping her

just dawned on me i never closed the gate on her

finally got my wholecrop sown:D

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0023.html#sec23

Here's the section from the Control of Dogs Act, in black white and grey;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »
    finally got my wholecrop sown:D
    20 ac maize went in yesterday as well, at last a few dry days in a row.

so far for the month of may, the east coast has got 250% of normal rainfall

just after going to collect the eldest from gaelic training, its bloody freezing:o thought i was never going to get it sown 25 acres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Down with flu since monday evening. the real deal: sore throat, vomiting, night sweats. the whole lot. It had to happen when the auld lad is gone to america for a funeral:rolleyes:

checking cattle has been a bit of an ordeal. Really glad we're not milking anymore

Down with flu since monday evening. the real deal: sore throat, vomiting, night sweats. the whole lot. It had to happen when the auld lad is gone to america for a funeral:rolleyes:

checking cattle has been a bit of an ordeal. Really glad we're not milking anymore
    ah the old "man flu" worst illness known EVER:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

2 dogs from a housing estate about 1 mile again attacked my hens and ducks last sat morning. i tracked the owner, she spent all the time looking for them as they broke out of her garden. they also ran calves into the electric fences etc. what do i look off her?

Damage, 1 duckling to be put down tonight ( €10 cost minimum), 1 RIR PB hen died of injuries (€35 is value of these)

5 other hens hurt and not laying, 2 other ducks attacked and 1 of which is not laying?

Calves , well one cut but i looked after that.

Phone the county council, they'll put the dog warden onto it, tell them the dog hasn't a license, let them find out whether he has or not, check to see that they are properly fenced, you might save some ones sheep.
    As for getting compo....blood out of stone comes to mind

rancher wrote: »
    Phone the county council, they'll put the dog warden onto it, tell them the dog hasn't a license, let them find out whether he has or not, check to see that they are properly fenced, you might save some ones sheep.
    I RANG THE DOG WARDEN LAST YEAR, WENT TO GUARDS BEFORE AND AFTER I SHOT THE DOG - sorry about capitals-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

man flu

poor joe... now i know just how bad it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

rancher wrote: »

Private dwelling dogs are covered under their house insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

following on the dog theme

we had a young BC bitch last year that was never going to cut it as a good working dog, long story short the dog was given to a family who have a handicapped child,

dog and daughter immediately bonded friendship & are now inseparable, family are presently abroad on holiday & dog is lodging here, OH is in the sitting room with the dog propped up in front of the laptop in a video call to her owner on skype

back to farming, turned out a great afternoon & evening here and growth is well improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

poor joe... now i know just how bad it is

You've no idea whelan, you've no idea;)

ah the old "man flu" worst illness known EVER:D

Your dead right!!!!! Thank your lucky stars you'I never get it!! :D:D

Muckit wrote: »
    Your dead right!!!!! Thank your lucky stars you'I never get it!! :D:D
    dont worry, i get the " no one's ever been this sick before" type of moan quite often, even when i dislocated my knee , he said it cant be that bad:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just back from Balmoral. The bloody legs are walked off me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Been talking to a good few fellas that are worried about Fertilizer they have spread. Some have it down a few weeks, it's got a good bit of rain and cold weather so nothing to show. Many think it's wasted now and will probably go again. Expensive stuff for it to be wasted. One lad had spread 4 bags 18:612 to the acre and nothing much has happened!
    What's the general feeling? Has it nourished the ground and the grass will take off when temps are up or is it gone to the river?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

bbam wrote: »
    Been talking to a good few fellas that are worried about Fertilizer they have spread. Some have it down a few weeks, it's got a good bit of rain and cold weather so nothing to show. Many think it's wasted now and will probably go again. Expensive stuff for it to be wasted. One lad had spread 4 bags 18:612 to the acre and nothing much has happened!
    What's the general feeling? Has it nourished the ground and the grass will take off when temps are up or is it gone to the river?

any nitrogen thats more than 4 weeks out is probably losing, P+K is alright

bbam none of that negative oul' chat on here! :D I think we've turned a corner. The cold snip has started to go out of the air in the last few days.... well around here anyways.

RE possible fertiliser wastage. I don't think any part of the country has got an major deluges. I don't see any reason why the majority of the fertilser won't be there for the grass once the real heat comes.

If I was to be a little dubious about the whole fertiliser issue, it would be the nitrogen element I would be most concerned about.

I won't be going again anyway. What's done is done. If a real growth spurt came and you did go a second time you could find yourself in a situation where all nitrogen is not used up before you cut and that would spell disaster in the pit :o

At the risk of sounding like Joan Burton.... 'can I just say' ....

there's a lesson here somewhere for us all. Calendar farming don't work. Having this fertiliser and that fertiliser out because such a lad in the Journal has it out doesn't work. It's nature you gotta work with. If ground temp ain't right, you won't get much growth.

At the risk of sounding like Joan Burton.... 'can I just say' ....

there's a lesson here somewhere for us all. Calendar farming don't work. Having this fertiliser and that fertiliser out because such a lad in the Journal has it out doesn't work. It's nature you gotta work with. If ground temp ain't right, you won't get much growth.
    yup have to agree, every farm is different , wouldnt worry what joe soap up the road is doing, each to their own... walked the silage ground 2 weeks ago, was very happy, will go around it again on monday.... praying for good weather tomorrow as my daughter is making her first communion, but the journal has loads of rain for the north east tomorrow:cool: just aswell we have the bouncy castle in the shed

I only spread last weekend (: it had been sitting in the yard for 4 weeks waiting to see some signs of growth before getting it out.
    We'll only be taking one silage cut so we shouldn't be under pressure.

Stock are eating way more grass than expected so if the weather doesn't improve grazing will be tight.

Good luck with the communion :)
    You'll have a ball no matter the weather and the bouncy castle in the shed is a great idea. How will ye fix it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

bouncy castle....

*Heads to Louth*
    :D

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    *Heads to Louth*
    :D
    got a fantastic picture of my daughter at the top of a bouncy castle slide... she has the fear of god in her face... might try and post it later its very funny

bbam wrote: »
    I only spread last weekend (: it had been sitting in the yard for 4 weeks waiting to see some signs of growth before getting it out.
    We'll only be taking one silage cut so we shouldn't be under pressure.

Stock are eating way more grass than expected so if the weather doesn't improve grazing will be tight.

Good luck with the communion :)
    You'll have a ball no matter the weather and the bouncy castle in the shed is a great idea. How will ye fix it down?
    we tie it to the girders ... its a big shed... swept the floor yesterday:)

At the risk of sounding like Joan Burton.... 'can I just say' .... .

Just reminded me.
    Went to gift grub in Drogheda last weekend. Yer man Mario does Joan Burron better than she does herself! It was side splitting stuff.

praying for good weather tomorrow as my daughter is making her first communion

I was at one myself last weekend (And another one this weekend!), the parents had the ice cream van arranged to call by in the afternoon.
    I dunno who was more excited when he played the jingle, the kids or the adults:)
    It was small money too and went down a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Bizzum wrote: »
    I was at one myself last weekend (And another one this weekend!), the parents had the ice cream van arranged to call by in the afternoon.
    I dunno who was more excited when he played the jingle, the kids or the adults:)
    It was small money too and went down a treat!

Thats a cracking idea

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Thats a cracking idea

I thought so too. So I made it my business to find out how they did it. They seen the ice cream van in the local village the weekend before and asked would he be about on the day, and agreed to give him €50 to call which included 25 ice creams.
    The child herself was brought into the van to make a few as were any other kids that asked. In fact the odd adult got a go to:D

Managed to get my bucket fed calf to suck cow lastnight , she calved a dead calf premature so took a while for milk to come to her properly and calf I bought was used of drinking out out of a bucket :(

Trained her to the tit and then onto cow... Mini achievement was happy enough but still along way to go!

Just drank a cup of tea made with a LIDL tea bag and it shocking bad. ALDI seems to beat them hands down. I'd just gotten used to the ALDI tea, which is only slightly worse than Lyons, but this LIDL stuff is around the same quality as whats in my slatted tank:P.

Jeez it's a tough day when you can't just have a lovely cuppa tea, Mrs Doyle would never stand for it;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    Just drank a cup of tea made with a LIDL tea bag and it shocking bad. ALDI seems to beat them hands down. I'd just gotten used to the ALDI tea, which is only slightly worse than Lyons, but this LIDL stuff is around the same quality as whats in my slatted tank:P.

Jeez it's a tough day when you can't just have a lovely cuppa tea, Mrs Doyle would never stand for it;):)

Barrys for the win!!

I suppose I should just be greatful I don't have the man flu at the minute:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Barrys for the win!!

and forget about tea bags if you want a decent cuppa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

snowman707 wrote: »

Spitting tea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

anyone in carrick on suir recently? hows cattle prices fairing?

ch heifers/blks 300/350kgs?

snowman707 wrote: »
    Yes I'm getting more particular (should that read grumpy?!) in my middle age, I may have to get a box of tea next time. What brand do you go for snowman, lyons or barrys?

(Important decisions been made on here today;))

II'll probably get shot for this but Tetleys if I'm shopping, best of the lot!!

Also prefer Walkers cheese and onion over Tayto! Better quality potatoe less oil and definitely less salty than our Tayto just IMO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement