Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    afair we had a few ducks at that stage , we got an odd letter about poultry things so we must be registered so

We had none at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

fantastic weather here today... was very frosty this morning though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

does any one know do you need a licence or something to keep poultry , ds has around a dozen hens etc and someone said we should have a licence , its the first i ever heard
    Think you have to have one after bird flu epidemic. I dont know the punishments. Probably have to listen to entire Brendan Smith back catalog of ministerial interviews from RTE if you are caught without one:eek:. Get one tomorrow if you know whats good for you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

how much is a litre of milk at the farm gate nowdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

how much is a litre of milk at the farm gate nowdays

not enough:D

stanflt wrote: »
    not enough:D

It was never enough:D

Round 1985 I think the old fella was getting 95 p a gallon,wondering if it ever went up:D

It was never enough:D

Round 1985 I think the old fella was getting 95 p a gallon,wondering if it ever went up:D

its currently 34cent a litre-which in 1985 prices would be equivalent to 122p a gallon

its currently 34cent a litre-which in 1985 prices would be equivalent to 122p a gallon

bet diesel and bag manure have gone up by 150 % since then, running like feck away from the farm was a good move

bet diesel and bag manure have gone up by 150 % since then, running like feck away from the farm was a good move

sure most of us dairy farmers only milk for the craic and the fun of it:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I just thought ye was mad:D, seven days a week TB brucellosics testing. caving cowpox

Worst of all Cows what can kick (crosses my legs on that one:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i have to say suckling is like been semi retired compared to milking cows :D

leg wax wrote: »
    i have to say suckling is like been semi retired compared to milking cows :D
    many suckler farmers i know say it is actually harder than dairying , i know its not the actual work load just the hardship there can be.... i dont agree:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'd imagine it depends on the cattle you have, and how you handle them.

dairy cows are just so nice, and you have to be nice to them to keep your counts and everything good and low, but a wild suckler that gets seen once a week is gonna bring a whole different level of pain with it.

was talking to a neighbour today, his grass is getting scarce anyone else the same , i have loads:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Need rain last week so looking forward to the weekend. Will have a big big jump in growths next week. I hope:pac:

• Advertisement

was talking to a neighbour today, his grass is getting scarce anyone else the same , i have loads:D

We never had so much grass so early. Its the first time in 10 years that we had all the cattle out before the May Bank Holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Plenty of grass here. Though the neighbours are threadbare. But that's down to keeping sheep in too long and not putting out any fertilizer.

ye i am back looking at m.t. cranniums forecast for the first time since the snow , to see if theres any rain coming

since the snow

Beware the disgruntled types on there who'll try to convince ya it's still gonna snow before "Summer" :pac:

well i am normally blamed on here when it starts to rain:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It's some spell of weather we're having. I never thought in Feb when I booked my Hols that we would get such a run of it in late April!
    Though thinking back to last year I spent a week in Oughterard in late april and it was very dry too.
    All's I need now is a few days to recover from the holiday!

Fishing Bizzum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johngalway wrote: »
    Fishing Bizzum?

Nope..........Although I do fish!
    Derroura mountain bike trail. Can't be to far from ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »
    We never had so much grass so early. Its the first time in 10 years that we had all the cattle out before the May Bank Holiday.

We got the first batch out last week the last out yesterday... Just love seeing them skipping down the field for the first time.. This is our first summer without cows and grass is reasonably plentiful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

ye i am back looking at m.t. cranniums forecast for the first time since the snow , to see if theres any rain coming

Where do most people look at the long range weather forecast. They all seem to be saying different things for next week. Anybody recommend a good one?

sea12 wrote: »
    Where do most people look at the long range weather forecast. They all seem to be saying different things for next week. Anybody recommend a good one?
    go to the science category on boards and then on to weather

Thanks whelan, Saw a link for another site in another thread also. Still all saying different things,

We shall see how accurate they are. Someone has to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

sea12 wrote: »

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The prediction at the moment is for a wet and windy May...fills the barns with corn and hay...

we have the windy we are missing the wet . although i could live to regret saying that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

At the top of that page look at the daily forecasts buy MT cranium
    I think he is fairly on the ball and hes just given a forcast for the summer today
    He also has a site irishweatheronline.com and is a bit of a legend on the weather forum.

we have the windy we are missing the wet . although i could live to regret saying that:D

Indeed.. can you imagine rain along with that wind :eek:
    We're on heavy ground and so rain isn't so much of an issue..

went out on my bike yesterday .. every road from my house is a hill and the wind was against me... i didnt venture too far:D

if you went to a restaurant selling argentinian steak would you assume the steak was argentinian in origin ?

if you went to a restaurant selling argentinian steak would you assume the steak was argentinian in origin ?

I would. I'll get shot for this next comment... :o Had Argentinian steak in Spain a couple of years ago and it was fantabulous :eek:

went out on my bike yesterday .. every road from my house is a hill and the wind was against me... i didnt venture too far:D

What, the wind was against you in every direction? Fibber :p

johngalway wrote: »
    I would. I'll get shot for this next comment... :o Had Argentinian steak in Spain a couple of years ago and it was fantabulous :eek:
    on the louth forum theres a guy opening a restaurant asking where to get supplies , he was a bit cocky when i said irish beef , he said irish beef is what he uses

on the louth forum theres a guy opening a restaurant asking where to get supplies , he was a bit cocky when i said irish beef , he said irish beef is what he uses

Is there a way of cooking it that it could be called Argentinian?

from reading back through it he doesnt actually say irish beef is used , i am not good at copying and pasting but if you go to the louth forum and look at the thread on the poets rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Did yis see in the journal this week, russia has stopped importing brazilian beef (and pork and poultry). Cant quote cos im on the phone (or read cos im on the couch:)), but somethin about calling for an eu investigation IIRC. If i have to il get up and read it again if anyones interested

well who got rain ? we got none yet

None in the midlands yet either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Jeez, down here in the real capital, we must be after getting a few inches of it over the past few days.

Started raining last Sunday around dinnertime - stayed raining constantly til Monday dinnertime. Annoying, as I wanted to do a few things on the Bank holiday Monday...
    Few heavy showers again this morning.

met.ie say
    "On Thursday another area of heavy rain will spread countrywide from the south with the risk of local flooding, especially in southern parts."

We got some last night. Don't know how much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

was spitting in south meath half an hour ago but nver got going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Rained most of the day here in Limerick until about 4 o'clock. It's needed. More on the way, too.

None here yet, gently does it though as I have fertilizer out and at these prices I don't want any washed away...:rolleyes:

On a side note the flowers are just starting to show drought damage, hose watering just doesn't cut it...

a bit of rain here for the last 2 hours in the midlands. badly needed though. its the first time in weeks. wasnt much this evening but predicting a good bit for thursday. Agree with the poster above, that dont want it wash fertilizer out. too expensive for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Raining all evening In donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

raining here for the last 20 min.
    could do with a good days rain
    looks like temp. is going to rise a few degrees as well
    looks like there may be some nice growth ahead, hope so,
    as fresh air dont do much for milk yield

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement