Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

snowman707 wrote: »
    and forget about tea bags if you want a decent cuppa

Proper tae with atein and dhrinkin in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just do it wrote: »
    Yes I'm getting more particular (should that read grumpy?!) in my middle age, I may have to get a box of tea next time. What brand do you go for snowman, lyons or barrys?

(Important decisions been made on here today;))

Barry's
    johngalway wrote: »

good spring water is just as important ( hate the tea from the 'town' water)

remember back in the 70's we travelled to support the local macra who were in the final of the public speaking competition, needles to say we well "lubricated" when we eventually arrived and the festivities were over and tea and sandwiches were been served,

the tea was dire and my mate muttered 'this tastes like p1$$' the comment was oveheard by one of the hostess who replied " my good man when I make tea i Make tea and when I make water I make water "

quick as a flash my mate replied "missus is there any fear you got your pots mixed up"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

also you cant beat tea off the aga cooker,have to agree about the lidl tea bags they are crap.. When i get up in the morning i put the kettle on the slow plate, then come in a hour later and bring a cup of tea out to the parlour with me.... pure heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

aye , when the spoon dont sink, then its good strong brewed tae ... with a skiin on it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

aye , when the spoon dont sink, then its good strong brewed tae ... with a skiin on it!:)

you could trot a mouse on the top of it :D

whelan1 wrote: »
    bring a cup of tea out to the parlour with me....

Is that the milking parlour or the sitting room you're talking about?...:D

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that the milking parlour or the sitting room you're talking about?...:D
    no parlours in our house:)

You won't beat tae out of the flask! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Maybe someone can help me with this, i received this recording book in the post today but the letter that came with it/ if it did has been lost and i didnt get to read it so i dont know what its about. Are they sending these out to everyone or is it because i am in the process of joining the IHFA, I emailed the woman 2 days ago ( so she could have sent it) about when we'd be ratified and she said after the meeting on the 23rd may they'd sent out a letter of conformation and other stuff. So that leaves me wondering who sent this book and do i have to use it or continue registering online? :confused:

P.s the envelopes that came with it to be sent back with registrations are addressed to Nat calf reg servicve, animal events agency, Clonakilty
    Its a good thick book with plenty of events sheets 1 white and 1 yellow
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Finno59 wrote: »
    Maybe someone can help me with this, i received this recording book in the post today but the letter that came with it/ if it did has been lost and i didnt get to read it so i dont know what its about. Are they sending these out to everyone or is it because i am in the process of joining the IHFA, I emailed the woman 2 days ago ( so she could have sent it) about when we'd be ratified and she said after the meeting on the 23rd may they'd sent out a letter of conformation and other stuff. So that leaves me wondering who sent this book and do i have to use it or continue registering online? :confused:

P.s the envelopes that came with it to be sent back with registrations are addressed to Nat calf reg servicve, animal events agency, Clonakilty
    Thanks
    What recording book? Sounds like the sucker cow welfare scheme but you can alternately do all that online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

thats the calf registration book. you use it instead of the white cards that come with the tags. Just make sure you take your time with it and fill everything in on it. you can put multible calves on the same sheet

well it says animal events recording book on the front.with 4 steps to register an animal, 1-calving event, 2 - Farmer records calving event on an 'animal event sheet ; 3- Farmer forwards the sheet where its keyed into the database 4 - calf births are registered and passports/reports are sent back to the farmer.
    Ya its just for registering calfs basicly but im trying to figure out who sent it and what do i need for/ if i do

It must be from the IHfa if no one else got it.
    Hardy for suckler scheme were in dairy

thats the calf registration book. you use it instead of the white cards that come with the tags. Just make sure you take your time with it and fill everything in on it. you can put multible calves on the same sheet

ok thanks

Thanks
    just keep registering on line, if in any doubt give them a call

got an early start to day hoping to get most of the last of slurry spread for now

very first load a hydraulic return pipe snapped & oil shooting out at an enormous rate , had to tilt the cab to get off the pipe, decided to change the oil and filter while we were at it, as about half of it was gone anyhow

5 hours down time & €250 out of pocket :( but back in action now

• Advertisement

well it says animal events recording book on the front.with 4 steps to register an animal, 1-calving event, 2 - Farmer records calving event on an 'animal event sheet ; 3- Farmer forwards the sheet where its keyed into the database 4 - calf births are registered and passports/reports are sent back to the farmer.
    Ya its just for registering calfs basicly but im trying to figure out who sent it and what do i need for/ if i do

It must be from the IHfa if no one else got it.
    Hardy for suckler scheme were in dairy

We use that book for registering pedigree calves instead of using white cards. There is a section to fill in the name you are putting on the calf. details get sent onto the charolais society in our case, but probably a dairy equivalent? I wouldn't know. What does IHFA stand for?

I think suckler lads in herdplus also use this book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

We use that book for registering pedigree calves instead of using white cards. There is a section to fill in the name you are putting on the calf. details get sent onto the charolais society in our case, but probably a dairy equivalent? I wouldn't know. What does IHFA stand for?

Irish Holstein Freisan association I think Muckit.

Thanks Redz

Well that makes sense then... this is what it's for OP! ;) Isn't there an equivalent scheme to the herdplus for dairy? Or have you a PB dairy herd OP?

First Saturday in a while where I feel I'm on top of things farm wise;)

Off out for the night and to get steamed on €3 a pint Guinness.

They say 'inputs' have gone up, but I think 'inputs' have gone down

Keep the fire down while I'm gone :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Let the bulls off with the cows and heifers today, happy days for someone:D:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

blue5000 wrote: »
    Let the bulls off with the cows and heifers today, happy days for someone:D:D:D
    Ah yes.
    A Saturday night to remember 

First Saturday in a while where I feel I'm on top of things farm wise;)
    Isn't it funny that it's such a rare feeling. No sooner than one job is done there are another 10 to do! It's just this year that I'm feeling I'm getting on top of things and everything isn't such a rush. Having said that it will only be this summer when I've the layout/ infrastructure in place, grassland management and increasing productivity/ net margin from then on;).

Off out for the night and to get steamed on €3 a pint Guinness.

P.S. Enjoy the night out, at that price and I'm that much out of practice a tenner would have me well on:rolleyes:

What's the crack with grazing after fertiliser. We spread last weekend and would wait another two weeks before grazing.
    However I noticed my neighbour spread last Saturday too, he let cows and calves in today to graze.
    I was always told three weeks, has the thinking changed in this?

Thats makes sense all right, it must have been the IHFA so.
    Thanks Guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Last cow calved this morning, calved herself very small fl22 heifer calf ... Hope she grows!!! All done now, great feeling, still gutted about losing one though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

On, don't worry, those FL22 calves grow alright. Stone mad though and tend to be a little leggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

pakalasa wrote: »
    On, don't worry, those FL22 calves grow alright. Stone mad though and tend to be a little leggy.

They do exactly what they say on the tin alright but this one was 30kg max I could pick her up there this evening like a rabbit away from my body... Older cow that had trouble last year with a char stock bull so went the real easy calving option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

bbam wrote: »
    What's the crack with grazing after fertiliser. We spread last weekend and would wait another two weeks before grazing.
    However I noticed my neighbour spread last Saturday too, he let cows and calves in today to graze.
    I was always told three weeks, has the thinking changed in this?

ive seen lads spreading in the field where the cattles are grazing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

simx wrote: »

If you don't leave sufficient time- the cattle or sheep will get mouth sores from the fertiliser (aka it'll burn them!!!)
    Don't know if there is a specified period you should leave a field empty after spreading fertiliser- of course it would vary by time of year and weather conditions.

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »

So it's ok then?
    It would make things easier if I wasn't waiting so long, it's just I was always told that cattle would be sickened if they grazed the ground too soon.

I was debating whether I'd part spread some land with sheep on it this spring, in the end I decided against it. I've never done it before and am honestly not that comfortable with the idea. If you look at the side of 50kg bags I think it says to store away from livestock, or something similar.

That said, I've got feedback from other people who will spread with animals int he field and they've said no problems.

Lovely day here today. Heard the Cuckoo for the first time.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lovely day here today. Heard the Cuckoo for the first time.

Nice here too, 12 degrees.
    Checked the overnight temperatures and between 2:30am and 6am the temp was below 1 degrees with a low of 0.1degrees. Hopefully night time temps increase during the week as forecast.

sad news condolences to his family and hope the son makes a speedy recovery

http://clare.fm/news/man-killed-farm-cree

You really can't be too careful around stock. God help that poor family. The poor son will probably always be wondering 'what if'... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I heard that yesterday, the son is married to a girl from our parish and the auld lad has a pint with him after mass most Sundays, tis sad to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Makes me think how lucky i am to still have my father. I dont know whether its this year or what but i'm hearing about a lot of cows getting wilder this year.

(On Cow Attacks)
    Ya, heard of another case myself only last week. Guy on his own at the time. He managed to ring for help on his mobile.

• Advertisement

had a b*tch of a suckler calved during the week...only for the jeep , myself and my dad where gonners,her calf was born dead... stone crazy....had to leave dead calf with her til next day, even then she was mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i think magic day is here on this farm:).

Done a bit of spraying today and just as I finished it starts drizzling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Done a bit of spraying today and just as I finished it starts drizzling :rolleyes:
    Thats what happens when you break the sabbath!!!

td5man wrote: »
    Thats what happens when you break the sabbath!!!

Yeah right :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Great weather forecast for the week ahead. mowers are pulling in on tuesday mornin:D looking forward to dirtying our new slab:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone else noticed that the animal to the very left in the May photo of the IFJ calender appears to have no tags in?

(I may have a bit too much time on my hands:o)

got rid of the excesses of the weekend by running after 2 angus heifers for the last hour:rolleyes: my mother was helping us,she was driving the jeep, she managed to bury it to the axle in the only wet spot in the field:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

You know farming is doing well when Teagasc tell you that they've got "hundreds" of clients looking to incorporate in an effort to shelter themselves from big income tax bills

Farming Independent.

Is anyone here one of these Teagasc Clients?

my husband was on a run in the lorry today, he got a pup on a farm where he was, our daughter has had a irrational fear of dogs since she was attacked 2 years ago... shes here on the sofa with the pup asleep on her lap;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

reilig wrote: »
    Farming Independent.

Is anyone here one of these Teagasc Clients?

yes indeed.
    as i write here from my yacht in the med...........:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement