Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

whelan1 wrote: »
    my husband was on a run in the lorry today, he got a pup on a farm where he was, our daughter has had a irrational fear of dogs since she was attacked 2 years ago... shes here on the sofa with the pup asleep on her lap;)

That's great. Confront your fears, as they say. I saw a programme on RTE a while back where a young mother had a phobia about dogs. The only reason she was seeking help was, she wanted to bring her young child to play in the local park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

pakalasa wrote: »
    That's great. Confront your fears, as they say. I saw a programme on RTE a while back where a young mother had a phobia about dogs. The only reason she was seeking help was, she wanted to bring her young child to play in the local park.

Our daughter was afraid of all animals after an incident with a dog let loose by a careless owner at a picnic site in France.
    We got some laying hens a few weeks ago and she just adores them. Hopefully she will come round as time goes on. She trusted one dog owned by friends, 15 year old lab, but sadly it died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

johngalway wrote: »

I think I will get into sheep John....looks like more fun than cattle, what breed are they :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

never thought last week i would be saying this " i've got sunburn" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What in the name of f**k did you google to find that??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Kovu Murr wrote: »

What in the name of f**k did you google to find that??:eek:
    Sheep farmers :rolleyes:

I found it on another farming forum :p

I was ready to sell up and retire there until around 1:40 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Saw a man bringing his bull to service a neighbours cow this evening, a fairly rare sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Saw a man bringing his bull to service a neighbours cow this evening, a fairly rare sight
    A fella beside us has started up a bull service this year aswell . I dont know why I thought that craic was well over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

In my (younger) day, it was always the cow that was brought to the bull...is this cow-lib??;)

We had a "bull man" round here when I was young... He brought his bull in a trailer behind the car and serviced the cow...

He was loading the bull one day and it killed him :(

It's allot of handling of a bull to be loading/unloading them constantly and then bringing them to/from cows in heat.. I'd say its asking for trouble at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

We had a bull man years ago too, can't remember his name, he was "the bull man"!
    He always came to us and small farm neighbours, he used charge 10 pound, small money looking back.
    Couldn't be good for transfer of disease, farm to farm, cow to cow etc

devastation here, fox got the hens last night... he broke the wire into the coop- 5 left out of 12 ... we heard the commotion at 3 am and went out .:mad:

devastation here, fox got the hens last night... he broke the wire into the coop- 5 left out of 12 ... we heard the commotion at 3 am and went out .:mad:

Mother of god!
    This is a Big fear for us as we don't have our hens long.
    What size of wire? We have inch chicken wire, I've heard they eat through the two inch wire as there is less strands to break.
    We put ours in at night and close the coop. I'm afraid about when we're away on hols, the brother mightn't bother!i
    think I'll put up electric fence when I'm away

its 2 inch chicken wire... f&cker made a hole in it... took the head clean off the guinea foul:eek: getting stronger wire today

its 2 inch chicken wire... f&cker made a hole in it... took the head clean off the guinea foul:eek: getting stronger wire today

I was told the one inch wire had too many strands for them to break. Now I'm worried :(
    Was going to put up a permanent electric fence but the girls love feeding them through the wire and going in to pet them in the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

that's just class! I never knew that the climate was so good in Roscommon!!

We just settled in three lovely weaned pigs too. Happy as pigs in the perverbial sh1te. Cute little things too but that's not going to save them later in the year!

• Advertisement

Are we all breathing a little easier now that a growth has kicked in?
    Our heifers have been eating an unreal amount of grass but in the last few days they've been basking in the sunshine and eating less.

bbam wrote: »
    I was told the one inch wire had too many strands for them to break. Now I'm worried :(
    Was going to put up a permanent electric fence but the girls love feeding them through the wire and going in to pet them in the run.
    had local lad here, he reckons it was mink not foxes... the way he left them behind, there are 2 half dead but their necks are broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bbam - where did you get the pigs?

Whelan1 - i am putting up a pen for the ducks around a little pond and going to use a rigid mesh fence.(like they use around compounds etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

Weld mesh is the only thing to keep out foxes and mink or electric poultry netting they can sense when the power is gone tho.

bbam - where did you get the pigs?

Brother did a deal for them with a lad on DD
    Had to go to Dublin for them! I swear this guy farms in the first field after tallaght, it must be torture.
    9 weeks old, glostersher old spot x great white cross I think they are, three gilts. €50 each. Should be less fat on them than the Saddlebacks I killed last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

spent the last hour foosterin' with the recoil spring for pullcord of chainsaw. Got it back successfully so hopefully it stays that way :rolleyes:

I was fit to f**k the thing in the ditch yesterday evening!! :D:mad::D:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

in from the heat just after cutting 10 acres,wrap on sat:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I tell ya lads if I find the fox thats eating me chickens I'll bx the head f him

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

a neighbour has 2 fields cut for hay since yesterday :D

Mother of god!
    This is a Big fear for us as we don't have our hens long.
    What size of wire? We have inch chicken wire, I've heard they eat through the two inch wire as there is less strands to break.
    We put ours in at night and close the coop. I'm afraid about when we're away on hols, the brother mightn't bother!i
    think I'll put up electric fence when I'm away

Folks, chicken wire is for chickens. It is not for foxes. I have made Larsen traps using chicken wire and wood, greycrows can make holes in the wire, never mind foxes.

Do as gazahayes says, use weldmesh. Use one inch by one inch mesh if you want to keep mink out as well as foxes. It's cheaper to get it from a steel company than from a farm supply/general merchant in my experience. Cohen Steel in Oranmore do it, I'm sure others around the country also.

If ye're want rid of foxes and other pests, put up a post in the Hunting forum which is located under Shooting in the Sports category. There'll be people falling over themselves to help.
    reilig wrote: »
    that's just class! I never knew that the climate was so good in Roscommon!!

Roscommon :confused:
    had local lad here, he reckons it was mink not foxes... the way he left them behind, there are 2 half dead but their necks are broken

Mink are very easy caught. Get yourself one of >these<, a black plastic rubbish sack, a tin of sardines in sunflower oil, some feathers from dead fowl - you don't need many, and a weight like a block. Do not fix the hole in the fence.

Put some sardines in the back of the cage (in this case, sardines are probably not necessary but I do it anyway). Put the cage into the sack, leaving the entrance open. Place the cage so the entrance is against the hole in your fence - mink will come through the hole into the cage. Put the block on top of the cage, or if it's not too sturdy something lighter, it's just to keep it in place. Make sure the only entrance through the hold from outside is into the trap, block off any excess gap. Trail some oil out of the mouth of the trap, place some feathers near the hole in the fence for eye appeal.

You should catch you mink handy. Local gunclub will be able to dispatch him humanely.

mink trap being set up as we speak:o will be interesting to see if we catch it... the coop is a few hudred metres from the river

• Advertisement

weefarmer wrote: »
    a neighbour has 2 fields cut for hay since yesterday :D

Is it not too early for hay? Would it not be very leafy instead of stemmy?

Great evening here.
    Had a million jobs that could be done.

Broke out the BBQ, few beers and a bottle of wine.
    Football and Camogie on the lawn, swing ball and round the house on the bikes follow the leader style.
    Feck the jobs, I'll play catch up at the weekend like I do when it's raining. Just the four of us, great crack and the girls are just off to bed exhausted. Happy days indeed!

Twas a can of bulmers in a pint glass for me... loads of ice... hmm ...hmm... hmmmm :D
    Twas too hot for workin' this evening anyway, well that's what I kept tellin' myself!

I spent the day spraying creeping furze, I seem to have a liking for murder. In Winter I'm killing foxes, Spring is for magpies and greycrows, Summer for rushes and furze. Hmmm, I've an opening for Autumn it seems :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I spent the day spraying creeping furze, I seem to have a liking for murder. In Winter I'm killing foxes, Spring is for magpies and greycrows, Summer for rushes and furze. Hmmm, I've an opening for Autumn it seems :confused:
    Killing and eating blackberries ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Killing and eating blackberries ?

I think I'm having a Homer Simpson moment, MMMMMM blackberries........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

We just settled in three lovely weaned pigs too. Happy as pigs in the perverbial sh1te. Cute little things too but that's not going to save them later in the year!

3 pure tamworths coming next week, meant to be best flavour, saddlebacks last year were way too fat, but i did keep them too long & over winter, killing the tams in nov

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

A fox will kill some & then start bringing them off, but if you disturbed him, he will just leggit with maybe 1, mink might not go, very brazen.

What size was the hole in the fence, mink would be about the size of a fist & fox about the size of your head ???

Hope they are well secured tonight.

A

Heh heh, was just watching the weather there, it's funny because he said as the diagram put 25 degrees over the West and Midwest the heat would be in the East :D A while back another presenter had to correct herself, it must be bet into them that we get **** weather and nothing else out this way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/exoticpets/3408384

I think some is in trouble when Amy finds out about this ad:D:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Which spray do you use on the furze?

td5man wrote: »

Grazon 90, good stuff but it's not clover friendly, will also do thistles I think. I get it off magentadirect.ie, cheaper than buying local even with the postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Grazon 90, good stuff but it's not clover friendly, will also do thistles I think. I get it off magentadirect.ie, cheaper than buying local even with the postage.
    Would it kill whitethorn quicks (dont want to) magenta are goodpricewise for a lot of stuff

Would it kill whitethorn quicks (dont want to) magenta are goodpricewise for a lot of stuff

I can't answer that, I imagine it wouldn't be good for them but don't know for sure.

http://www.dowagro.com/ie/products/prod/grazon90.htm

You could fire them off an email and see what they have to say?

nothing in the trap this morning... tin of salmon hasnt been touched:mad: weare thinking whatever it was is full- 2 hens still missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

the shearers arrived yesterday , one machine broke and they had to work with one :(

still had about 80 to do when we lost daylight so we are leaving them till next week

was still 17 degrees C :)

The missus coming home from work yesterday evening came upon (very quickly) some smart ar*e trundling along with a tractor trailer load of silage bales ...... on the M6!! :eek: What a nutter, could have caused a serious pile up. I'd love to know what he was thinking?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    The missus coming home from work yesterday evening came upon (very quickly) some smart ar*e trundling along with a tractor trailer load of silage bales ...... on the M6!! :eek: What a nutter, could have caused a serious pile up. I'd love to know what he was thinking?!

Its shorter to go the old M6 anyway. If he was stopped by the Guards, I bet he'd think that he had a right to be on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

A few years back I came on an accident where a young guy drove straight into the back of a slurry spreader on a straight stretch of dualcarriageway. He just assumed the tractor was doing a decent speed. Driving slow can be just as dangerous as speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

Coming up the m8 on sunday saw an audi a6 i think pulling an old krone double axle silage wagon!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement