Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gazahayes wrote: »
    Coming up the m8 on sunday saw an audi a6 i think pulling an old krone double axle silage wagon!!

This is why I never buy a secondhand car with a tow bar........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »
    Driving slow can be just as dangerous as speeding.

True. If a car doin 120/hr and they come upon a tractor doing 30km/hr, they might aswell be parked up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Remember lights guys if ye are out on the road.
    Was in a line of a few cars behind a tractor and trailer yesterday. I could see he was slowing to turn but the car behind him was just out to pass when the tractor swung across into a field. Few more seconds would have been a disaster as the lad on the tractor didn't look back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

spent the day in tayto park, great place for the kids,
    barbie when we got home,
    cold beer (sssss) and the eurovision,

have n't set eyes on a cow yet today

(bar a few dexters in tayto park)

dar31 wrote: »
    barbie when we got home,

GReat place all right.. Was quiet when we were there in April.. I'd say it was hummin today..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dar31 wrote: »
    barbie when we got home,

say it was mad busy there today... had to drop kids to go to ireland game and there was a serious amount of cars turning to go to tayto park...

dont think jedward have too much competition after seeing my husband dancing to their song:rolleyes: good luck jedward

Was a melter of a day here, 27*C at one stage. I thought I'd be as red as a lobster when I came in, but suncream did it's job ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

whelan1 wrote: »
    dont think jedward have too much competition after seeing my husband dancing to their song:rolleyes: good luck jedward

Terrible image:P:P:P

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Terrible image:P:P:P
    glad i didnt have the camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I think I'll head off fishing for the evening, im hearing rumors of mackeral being around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I think I'll head off fishing for the evening, im hearing rumors of mackeral being around :D

Pack a bikini ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

hope not, they're a sign of rain on way when they come in!

Anyone at the Limousin sale in Rosc yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:mad: 'kin midges

Got another bit of spraying done. Mentioned the mackerel to Dad, "We'll have to tar the currach" :pac:

Yere fecked lads, I caught 9 :D

Just bought one of >these<. Got a lot of bracken to spray on the ould fellas place, I've been hmmming and hawing over it for two years I'd say :D Hopefully it'll do the job, bit :confused: about the 30-33" mounting height but I might just try that a tad higher.......

So was it mackeral and poached eggs on toast for breakfast or did you scoff them for the tea last night? :D

I don't know how true that myth is about judging weather by them, the forecast is promised good for the week!! A good dew on the grass with it and we should be OK ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    So was it mackeral and poached eggs on toast for breakfast or did you scoff them for the tea last night? :D

I don't know how true that myth is about judging weather by them, the forecast is promised good for the week!! A good dew on the grass with it and we should be OK ;)

I actually dont eat them at all. All the family does though and on a good evening when you could catch 50 or 60 I go around to the neighbours with them. We use the goats for weather forecasting the weather around here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

spent saturday at the shed with 2 uncles, went to put up the timbers and off by 3" :D. I smile because i told the uncle it would be. I even got extra bolts to redo the ground anker i was that confident :p.

Stag night on saturday and died all day yesterday :rolleyes:.

Mower coming today to cut silage ground. I have a field of extra grass that wasnt due to be cut but i might just cut it. Its not heavy but if cut will mean o 2nd cut and also ill get all the slurry out in the one go and i can run a 8 paddock rotation system for the 2 groups of calves. 3 birds one bullet.

• Advertisement

I actually dont eat them at all. All the family does though and on a good evening when you could catch 50 or 60 I go around to the neighbours with them. We use the goats for weather forecasting the weather around here!!

Interesting. What do goats do when the weather is going to be bad? Come down from the mountain??

Interesting. What do goats do when the weather is going to be bad? Come down from the mountain??

Spot on, when the goats cross the road and go down to the valley there will be some sort of a storm brewing the following day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

johngalway wrote: »
    Just bought one of >these<. Got a lot of bracken to spray on the ould fellas place, I've been hmmming and hawing over it for two years I'd say :D Hopefully it'll do the job, bit :confused: about the 30-33" mounting height but I might just try that a tad higher.......

Good luck with it John,

I bought my sprayer 10ft boom off of those boys, booms were aluminium and very light and went to bits, had to order replacement pump for it and it took ages and when it landed it didn't work so returned it to them and overall it took 9 mOnths to sort out they were a shower of cowboys to deal with, my pump was delivered to Germany at one stage!!! Gareth is the owner I think

A fella I work with has the boom less one find it awful handy but accuracy and wind can be an issue over boomed sprayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Was planning on going back to Ballyvaughan myself yesterday to have a go, but had work to do. A few lads I know went back. Having been talking to them yet. Nice way to pass the day. More a fan of Pollack myself.

Bodacious wrote: »
    Good luck with it John,

I bought my sprayer 10ft boom off of those boys, booms were aluminium and very light and went to bits, had to order replacement pump for it and it took ages and when it landed it didn't work so returned it to them and overall it took 9 mOnths to sort out they were a shower of cowboys to deal with, my pump was delivered to Germany at one stage!!! Gareth is the owner I think

A fella I work with has the boom less one find it awful handy but accuracy and wind can be an issue over boomed sprayer

Thanks Bodacious,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with them! I didn't even consider a boom, if you look at any photos I've posted of my land or Dads you'll see why, it would last two minutes before a rock or little hillock would break it off. I know there are 4 foot ones but I didn't want to be putting a wheel on every square meter of land either :D

I already have a 55/60 litre tank from them, have to say besides the hand lance breaking I've not had a problem. I agree wind will be an issue, I'll have to pick my day carefully. Main reason I went for the boomless was to knock down as much of big stands of bracken as quickly as possible. In year two I'll hopefully be happy enough to go back to the lance for mopping up the remainder.

Was planning on going back to Ballyvaughan myself yesterday to have a go, but had work to do. A few lads I know went back. Having been talking to them yet. Nice way to pass the day. More a fan of Pollack myself.

Do you go to black head or ballyreen? Only ever caught a few small pollack in black head but have caught a few whoppers in ballyreen!! I have went out on a boat under the cliffs of moher fishing a few times too, the pollack there are huge and have caught the odd cod aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

From the shore or a boat?

Bizzum wrote: »

From the shore or a boat?
    Shore bizzum.

Do you go to black head or ballyreen? Only ever caught a few small pollack in black head but have caught a few whoppers in ballyreen!! I have went out on a boat under the cliffs of moher fishing a few times too, the pollack there are huge and have caught the odd cod aswell.
    Normally go to the Lighthouse at Black Head or the flats further back towards Ballyvaughan. I'll be back there, the first chance I get..

• Advertisement

Normally go to the Lighthouse at Black Head or the flats further back towards Ballyvaughan. I'll be back there, the first chance I get..
    I normally go to the flats, I know that bit of ground like the back of my hand at this stage I have so much time spent there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

20120528203822.jpg

That's not me by the way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »
    20120528203822.jpg

That's not me by the way!!!

Magnificant creature. The Corrib is where she should have been left. I can't understand why a fish of this calibre should be knocked on the head.

Another fantastic day :D

Would like a days/nights rain now though. Don't want to disappoint Whelan1 so I said I'd mention it. Last fert I put out can still be seen on the ground. The ground around rock and in shallow spots is turning brown.

got a wee drop here yesterday evening but not enough to wash in the bag stuff. dull and cooler this mornin. a perfect workin day!

mink trap hasnt been touched, although i saw a fox this morning...its a week since the hens where attacked, would a mink have been back by now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

anyone notice some of the current fertilizer bags now are a right disaster, the corners of the bags are tapered in or something, if you catch the bag in the corner you will burst it, it also kinda makes not ideal for using again for turf etc as the opening of the bag is smaller, they are also difficult to roll up as they done really lie out flat anymore, noticed it on goulding bags anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I learned a very important lesson today. Sunbathing and falling asleep leads to horrible horrible sunstroke, plus a very painful sunburned tummy:(

anyone notice some of the current fertilizer bags now are a right disaster, the corners of the bags are tapered in or something, if you catch the bag in the corner you will burst it, it also kinda makes not ideal for using again for turf etc as the opening of the bag is smaller, they are also difficult to roll up as they done really lie out flat anymore, noticed it on goulding bags anyway

lighter plastic..
    I hate when the shrink sticks to the corners and then tears then when coming off.. And it seems to be a few rows down too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I learned a very important lesson today. Sunbathing and falling asleep leads to horrible horrible sunstroke, plus a very painful sunburned tummy:(

Tomato juice is supposed to help, but you can't let it dry out.

I've been hearing rain for the past while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

started raining last night at 1000 & it's still at it - it's great, real summer rain, light & consistent but still warm

Still at it here as well.

johngalway wrote: »
    Still at it here as well.

Are you still talking about the rain....?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Its a lovely piece of rain the place around here has greened up overnight

Are you still talking about the rain....?? :p

Might be, might'nt be :P

Savage growth on the last 24/36 hours with the moisture and staying mild. 10 day forecast seems to have aixture of moisture and mild weather so it should continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

The seven day forecast given by rte last sunday turned out to be some pile of crap. So much for the dry weather they promised for this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

tanko wrote: »
    The seven day forecast given by rte last sunday turned out to be some pile of crap. So much for the dry weather they promised for this weekend.

I know - I was hoping to get the shearing done this weekend, but not sure that'll be possible now... :(

I normally go to the flats, I know that bit of ground like the back of my hand at this stage I have so much time spent there!

Went to the lighthouse yesterday evening pak, 40 mackeral and 4 pollack in 2 hours...I think they have landed :cool:

Went to the lighthouse yesterday evening pak, 40 mackeral and 4 pollack in 2 hours...I think they have landed :cool:
    I'll bring the fertiliser bag so...:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement