Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'll bring the fertiliser bag so...:)

Ahhh...you better bring 2 to be sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Up in the West ATM and total midge fest this evening - has already but paid to plans we had to treat the cattle for flystrike earlier:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was a rat in the mink trap this morning:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whelan1 wrote: »
    was a rat in the mink trap this morning:o

All good;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Went to the lighthouse yesterday evening pak, 40 mackeral and 4 pollack in 2 hours...I think they have landed :cool:

Hey redz
    I thought September is the best time for mackeral. Do they usually come in this time of year as well?

just do it wrote: »
    Went to the lighthouse yesterday evening pak, 40 mackeral and 4 pollack in 2 hours...I think they have landed :cool:

Hey redz
    I thought September is the best time for mackeral. Do they usually come in this time of year as well?
    September is Manic with them but a few normally start to show up around the end of may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is it just me or is it gone a bit dead on here the last week?:o Silage silly season I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it gone a bit dead on here the last week?:o Silage silly season I suppose

What're you doing on the internet when you should be out working in this good weather? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

johngalway wrote: »
    What're you doing on the internet when you should be out working in this good weather? :p

I have being waiting for due to lift all morning :eek: to go spraying sugar beet. As soon as it lifted a burning sun appeared so I now can't spray in the intense direct sunlight. Oh the joys, until I get finished the beet I can't go spraying other crops so held up spraying for the day

• Advertisement

decided this year to complete the agricultural survey thingy when i got it... which was today 5 minutes from opening the envelope to sealing the completed form... you dont have to put in cattle numbers anymore ... thank god... think last year i got about 4 of them in the post... think they must have gotten the message - about time cso

cat in the mink trap this morning

whelan1 wrote: »
    cat in the mink trap this morning

2x2" weldmesh in front of the cage, or two sticks drove down in front of the cage entrance min 2 inches apart will keep the cat out.

In relation to mink lads the strangest thing happened yesterday evening when I went fishing for a few hours. Myself and the girlfriend were there for about a half an hour and I spotted a mink (girlfriend thinks it was a small otter). A real nosey little thing and I had a bucket of mackeral so I threw one half way to it and it came and took it, came back again and I threw it a sandeel I had for bait and it came within 5 feet of me to take it :eek: It stayed around beside us for a good half an hour and did not seem one bit bothered by us, very unusual behavior for a wild animal I thought!! It was small and black with a white dot under its chin. Girlfriend has a video on her phone of it taking the sandeel.

Mink won't be a bit afraid of you if there's food to be had. Two men back the road walked in on a mink killing hens, he looked at them, then went on with the job not a bit bothered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Keep well away from them- we've two guys in work with severed tendons in fingers from them........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

turned the collection drain from yard into one of the tanks yesterday thinking i will save myself some time drawing water for agitating after silage is cut...tank over flowing with water this morning :eek:

turned the collection drain from yard into one of the tanks yesterday thinking i will save myself some time drawing water for agitating after silage is cut...tank over flowing with water this morning :eek:

are you not tanking all your soiled water all the time? reckon we have 40mm got in 24 hrs, 25mm up to midnight, and no rain for the last 4 weeks,

are you not tanking all your soiled water all the time? reckon we have 40mm got in 24 hrs, 25mm up to midnight, and no rain for the last 4 weeks,
    its just rainwater off a concrete yard

same as me, but it has to be tanked as it would be above the threshold, even flowing of a clean yard. Even if its under the threshold you can get into difficulty if it flows 365 days a year as you can be prosecuted for pollution even if the polluting material is under the threshold set out in the nitrates directive!! Threshold is a BOD over 2500mg/l and a DM % over 1%. Just looking there now, and water coming from machinery access yards (i.e. between buildings) that would be soiled with earth off tires doesn't fall under soiled water if taking the below paragraph into account

(2) (a) In these Regulations “soiled water” includes, subject to this sub- article, water from concreted areas, hard standing areas, holding areas for livestock and other farmyard areas where such water is contami- nated by contact with any of the following substances—
    (i) livestock faeces or urine or silage effluent,
    (ii) chemical fertilisers,
    (iii) washings such as vegetable washings, milking parlour washings or washings from mushroom houses,
    (iv) water used in washing farm equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

same as me, but it has to be tanked as it would be above the threshold, even flowing of a clean yard. Even if its under the threshold you can get into difficulty if it flows 365 days a year as you can be prosecuted for pollution even if the polluting material is under the threshold set out in the nitrates directive!! Threshold is a BOD over 2500mg/l and a DM % over 1%. Just looking there now, and water coming from machinery access yards (i.e. between buildings) that would be soiled with earth off tires doesn't fall under soiled water if taking the below paragraph into account

(2) (a) In these Regulations “soiled water” includes, subject to this sub- article, water from concreted areas, hard standing areas, holding areas for livestock and other farmyard areas where such water is contami- nated by contact with any of the following substances—
    (iii) washings such as vegetable washings, milking parlour washings or washings from mushroom houses,
    (iv) water used in washing farm equipment.

I think you are gone a bit OTT bob. In Vanders case once it's not a holding yard for cattle or a silage slab all OK.

On the last point in blue.... Anyone a drain with a sump specifically for washing down machinery? How have you it setup? COuld the soiled water go to a soakaway once the solids were collected in sump? Would like to install one with powerwasher set up in the a shed nearby.

• Advertisement

I think you are gone a bit OTT bob. In Vanders case once it's not a holding yard for cattle or a silage slab all OK.

On the last point in blue.... Anyone a drain with a sump specifically for washing down machinery? How have you it setup? COuld the soiled water go to a soakaway once the solids were collected in sump? Would like to install one with powerwasher set up in the a shed nearby.

I know its completely OTT and I not advocating such bull.

its not me that gone over the top but the cretins that police the whole situation. Depending on which county you are in, you can get away with most things, unfortunately the jurisdiction that I'm operating in I have to abide but such rubbish. All soiled water has to be collect and land spread. most of the stuff is nearly 100% clean and would do no harm if you were to drink it. But to get soiled water with a BOD under 2500 mg/l is impossible, I know as i have had it taken and tested by officialdom. FFS the dogs happily drink this water all day long

BTW what do all you lads do with this slightly soiled water, with large machinery/access yards runoff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

How come every town and city can pipe their run off directly into the nearest stream or river??

to think i busted myself to get the milking done to get in to see the second half of the louth/dublin game- neednt have bothered:o

[COLOR="Blue"](2) (a) In these Regulations “soiled water” includes, subject to this sub- article, water from concreted areas, hard standing areas, holding areas for livestock and other farmyard areas where such water is contami- nated by contact with any of the following substances—
    (iv) water used in washing farm equipment.[/COLOR]
    Jeez bob, I hope the inspector that calls (as he'll surely visit some day) doesn't know the regs as well as you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

if a tenant reseeds leased ground and picks stones do they have some god given right to them?

Saw a few trailer loads being carted out of our place at the weekend. I suppose I should be thankful that they're reseeding it, but pissed me right off looking at all that stone going away.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    if a tenant reseeds leased ground and picks stones do they have some god given right to them?

Saw a few trailer loads being carted out of our place at the weekend. I suppose I should be thankful that they're reseeding it, but pissed me right off looking at all that stone going away.
    Did the tenant pay for he reseeding??

If they did are you serious?

Im with tipp man on this one!! Not to many tenants would bother reseeding rented land, let him have the few stones and be grateful hes looking after the place I would say!!

only reason he's reseeding is cos it's a long term lease and he destroyed it wintering cattle.

believe me it's not being done out of the goodness of his heart, he needs the grass.

everything is take, take, take. nothing is ever maintained, bitches and moans every time the fence (on our free esb) has to be turned off for half an hour, stores stuff in the farmyard every time we're not there (which is most of the time), I could go on and on.

Just pissed me off when I was on the way to town on saturday morning stuck behind a trailer of stone where I realised where it had come from, never even offered it to us.

only reason he's reseeding is cos it's a long term lease and he destroyed it wintering cattle.

believe me it's not being done out of the goodness of his heart, he needs the grass.

everything is take, take, take. nothing is ever maintained, bitches and moans every time the fence (on our free esb) has to be turned off for half an hour, stores stuff in the farmyard every time we're not there (which is most of the time), I could go on and on.

Just pissed me off when I was on the way to town on saturday morning stuck behind a trailer of stone where I realised where it had come from, never even offered it to us.

Do you realise how much reseeding costs? The seeds alone are up around 80 an acre. And dont doret it's your asset he's improving

:D:D:D is this a series post, its not as if he has opened a quarry, probably go some bit of a job that he needs these stones for. think you may need to take a look in the mirror yourself if you consider it all take take take,

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez bob, I hope the inspector that calls (as he'll surely visit some day) doesn't know the regs as well as you do!

i havnt enough fingers on one hand to count how many time we get "callers" each year:mad:

I know full well how much reseeding costs, I'm reseeding three acres of nettles and docks he left behind them elsewehere on the farm.

Reseeding isnt improving an asset if you got it with good grass, it's merely maintenance.

Clearly I'm being unreasonable, but I'm sick of his sh*t and will be fixing his damage for a few years to come yet.

A nice idea, but I'd be worried that while you'd satisfy the nitrates directive you could be breaching some other epa regs on vehicle washing facilities to do with the oil/grease

a friend's folks own a filling station and when redevoping it a few years ago they got rid of the jet wash as they figured the environmental requirements werent worth their while.

I know full well how much reseeding costs, I'm reseeding three acres of nettles and docks he left behind them elsewehere on the farm.

Reseeding isnt improving an asset if you got it with good grass, it's merely maintenance.

Clearly I'm being unreasonable, but I'm sick of his sh*t and will be fixing his damage for a few years to come yet.
    Can you get out of the lease? If he's that much trouble it may be worth a look.

Why what other damage has he done??

probably could get out of the lease, but that wouldnt be worth it, for personal/political reasons.

we inherited the tenants along with the land, sons of my mother in law's friends, and two of her own friends (4 tenants, six arrangements in only 60 acres!!!) we've taken 24 acres back in hand ourselves but will have to sit out the rest of the leases.

it's all little things, but it all adds up. when the place was leased out 12 years ago it was a good dairy farm, good paddock setup, double stranded fences, troughs in every paddock, roadways, a bog* that was grazed 6 months of the year, cubicle houses with cow mats, good gates etc.

walk the place now and you can still see the remains of all of that but the bog was covered in rushes, the fences are in bits, there's three troughs left in our 8 paddocks, half the mats went missing, gates tied in place.

Oh and there was a 4600 that was put on a yard scraper for 6 years and never once washed.

like I say, lots and lots of little things, with a sprinkling of attitude thrown in

*bog down in cork seems to be what would be called a bit of wet ground in other parts of the country.

probably could get out of the lease, but that wouldnt be worth it, for personal/political reasons.

we inherited the tenants along with the land, sons of my mother in law's friends, and two of her own friends (4 tenants, six arrangements in only 60 acres!!!) we've taken 24 acres back in hand ourselves but will have to sit out the rest of the leases.

it's all little things, but it all adds up. when the place was leased out 12 years ago it was a good dairy farm, good paddock setup, double stranded fences, troughs in every paddock, roadways, a bog* that was grazed 6 months of the year, cubicle houses with cow mats, good gates etc.

walk the place now and you can still see the remains of all of that but the bog was covered in rushes, the fences are in bits, there's three troughs left in our 8 paddocks, half the mats went missing, gates tied in place.

Oh and there was a 4600 that was put on a yard scraper for 6 years and never once washed.

like I say, lots and lots of little things, with a sprinkling of attitude thrown in

*bog down in cork seems to be what would be called a bit of wet ground in other parts of the country.
    Have you long to sit out? You should also look into the implications of what is happening in Europe and the possible implications of 2014 as a reference year for future single farm payments. It's a bummer watching the place deteriorate but at this stage it may not have the potential to get much worse. If the infrastructure was originally there it oughtn't take much to get it back into shape whenever you get it back.

I've found with my place a few years makes a huge difference. It was leased for 28 years until '08 when I took it on again. During that period it was extensively grazed (45ac) and I'm not even sure it was divided at all and certainly in no more than 3 blocks. One stretch in particular of around 5ac I can remember hay being saved in ~30 years ago. 4 years ago you could have supplied Africa with St Bridgets crosses from it. It was fenced as one field for the years 08-10. It was topped late in 10 and sprayed in May11. Last year it was split into paddocks and has been grazed last year and this year as paddocks. It got no fertilizer or lime, no harrowing or rolling etc (i.e. the bare minimum). This year particularly after getting a good tight grazing it is really coming back to good grazing land and I'd venture to say with a small bit of work you could contemplate cutting silage out of it next year if you wanted.

I'd have loved to cultivate, reseed etc but I've to operate within the funds I'm allocating to the place. My point is with some basic grassland management the place is starting to come back to good productivity.

Anyway I don't envy you the position you're in and given the linkages you mention with the tenants it aint easy. I hope it works out for you.

New jarmet sprayer landed from whites this evening. When I priced them it was €1180 + €120 for a self fill pump and free delivery they said so €1300, I have the emails to prove this. I wasnt at home when it came so the auld lad paid them for it. Was suprised to look at the docket and see an invoice for €1400 :mad: Also there is a few nuts missing off it and there is just a hole in the handwash tank, they obviously forgot to put a tap on it. I am a bit peeved now to say the last and have to ring them tomorrow. Whats the best way to confront them about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Just say it to them. Lad down our way is an arsehole to rent ground off but you know where you stand prior to renting (up till this year would have problems getting tenants). He even put off one tenant who decided to trim the hedges at his own cost because he hadnt informed him it was happening.
    f*k the attitude if your getting any be stern but fair, they will have more respect for you. At this stage they probably feel they have an entitlement to do what they want seen as they have the land so long. Its still yours though and as for keeping the mother in law happy is something ive completly abandoned (and i'm not getting married till the end of the year).
    The stone thing seems pretty petty though and from what i can read from your posts is that you want control back. so take it back.

• Advertisement

New jarmet sprayer landed from whites this evening. When I priced them it was €1180 + €120 for a self fill pump and free delivery they said so €1300, I have the emails to prove this. I wasnt at home when it came so the auld lad paid them for it. Was suprised to look at the docket and see an invoice for €1400 :mad: Also there is a few nuts missing off it and there is just a hole in the handwash tank, they obviously forgot to put a tap on it. I am a bit peeved now to say the last and have to ring them tomorrow. Whats the best way to confront them about this?

you should have a little bag of parts manual etc, the tap should be in there, was in mine anyway, sure what can you do, ring them and say you will cancel cheque should get their attention. also half fill tank and try out sprayer first and make sure everything is working, my one was missing a seal initially, i couldnt understand how it was emptyin so quick, lost a mix of allistell which is feckin expensive as a result

pissy weather here today, the minute you take your jumper off a shower comes along:mad: then as soon as you have your jumper back on you're sweating:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

pit silage picked up five minutes ago thank god before this heavy rain arrives and by the llok of it it not too far away

So upset was the man in black at Met Eireanns forecast he wrote this song

johngalway wrote: »
    So upset was the man in black at Met Eireanns forecast he wrote this song

classic line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A right rotten day june my eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Not so bad here this mornin yet.
    got a ton of CAN out there now so.....COME ON THE RAIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Not so bad here this mornin yet.
    got a ton of CAN out there now so.....COME ON THE RAIN!

I'd never chance putting out fertilizer when there's 50 to 60 mm of rain promised. I'd be worried that it would end up in the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Had about six/seven inches of snow there Wednesday. Good hard frost has meant most of it is still about tonight and probably will be for a few days. We're lucky we only have 20 cows left of the 400 and the 600 new cows arrive on Monday. Hoping that's the only snow we get this winter!

On a happier note, the ski fields are opening this weekend and I just booked flights to Auckland to see the lads play the all blacks this weekend! Will see them in Christchurch next weekend to, going to be a big fortnight for the liver and the bank balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Fcuking lashing here in Cork today - and has been on and off for the past 5 hours at least... :(

I wouldn't like to have fertiliser spread, I think it would be washed away in this rain.

For the past few days, we had savage weather for growing grass - wet in the mornings, but dry, lovely & warm in the afternoons & evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bucketing down rain and windy, really miserable

son went to the factory with lambs bought the young collie in the jeep for a spin, pulled in some where on the road home and the dog must have tried to come out the driver's door window ( which was closed) apparently pushing down the locking device , .. central locking, all doors locked.. keys in jeep :( not too happy O/H dispatched with spare key

post man arrives, invoice from architect , f€$$$€g hell :mad::mad: knew they are expensive but this takes the biscuit :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement