Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

snowman707 wrote: »
    bucketing down rain and windy, really miserable

son went to the factory with lambs bought the young collie in the jeep for a spin, pulled in some where on the road home and the dog must have tried to come out the driver's door window ( which was closed) apparently pushing down the locking device , .. central locking, all doors locked.. keys in jeep :( not too happy O/H dispatched with spare key

post man arrives, invoice from architect , f€$$$€g hell :mad::mad: knew they are expensive but this takes the biscuit :eek:

I would have thought the days of architects charging thru the noise were gone, cant be a great profession to be in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

snowman707 wrote: »
    bucketing down rain and windy, really miserable

son went to the factory with lambs bought the young collie in the jeep for a spin, pulled in some where on the road home and the dog must have tried to come out the driver's door window ( which was closed) apparently pushing down the locking device , .. central locking, all doors locked.. keys in jeep :( not too happy O/H dispatched with spare key

post man arrives, invoice from architect , f€$$$€g hell :mad::mad: knew they are expensive but this takes the biscuit :eek:

I always get a draftsman to do my work. he nows all the legislation and always has some good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feckin wash out here in Cavan.
    Was kicking round the office all morning doing "paperwork". But had to bite the bullet and go out on the road. So glad we moved stock to better sheltered ground yesterday evening. Low ground is well waterlogged now, so much for my war on rushes, this wet weather will be like reinforcements for them!
    It's an evening to light the fire !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went to mountrath- in the lorry- to collect the cows i bought, rained the whole way there and the whole way home....still have to do my silage

if i bought a saddleback x big white pigglet at 7 weeks old would they be ready to kill in November?

Would the breeding of half saddlebag and half big white give me good taste and low fat content?

Or what breeds should i be looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

whelan1 wrote: »
    went to mountrath- in the lorry- to collect the cows i bought, rained the whole way there and the whole way home....still have to do my silage

What type of cows did you buy Whelan?

Good luck with them

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

reilig wrote: »
    I'd never chance putting out fertilizer when there's 50 to 60 mm of rain promised. I'd be worried that it would end up in the Atlantic.

Well its out now on topped land so I'll tell ye's in a fortnight.... The long range for round here isn't too bad, its supposed to clear to showers tomorrow evening and early next week is promised good.

good luck with your Polish sprayer.
    I've one of them too. they do the job but are very delicate.

Bodacious wrote: »
    What type of cows did you buy Whelan?

Good luck with them
    10 br fr cows ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

anybody read Jack Kennedy in the journal today?
    Dont worry about the monsoon, go cut your silage anyways:rolleyes:

really in touch with whats going on isnt he?

• Advertisement

I buy the Journal maximum once a month.....very little (or indeed nothing) that a modest West of Ireland farmer like me can relate to in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

heading up into the attic to see where the feck there is water getting into the attic from outside as currently is dropping an inch from my bed:mad:

if i bought a saddleback x big white pigglet at 7 weeks old would they be ready to kill in November?

Would the breeding of half saddlebag and half big white give me good taste and low fat content?

Or what breeds should i be looking for?

We had that or a similar cross last year and while they were delicious they were fatty.. Fella told me that the Saddleback will bring the fat..
    Went to a Gloucestershire Old spot , Great White cross which I'm told will be tasty and less fatty...

I've been told that with intensive feeding you can kill to 70kg at 20 weeks.. LAst year we killed at about 30 weeks and they were ~75kg but got lots of veg and fruit rather than intensive meal...

anybody read Jack Kennedy in the journal today?
    Dont worry about the monsoon, go cut your silage anyways:rolleyes:

really in touch with whats going on isnt he?
    went to close in cows jeez the river is frightening this evening , wouldnt be surprised if it overflows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

heading up into the attic to see where the feck there is water getting into the attic from outside as currently is dropping an inch from my bed:mad:

you'I have to pull the pi$$ pot from under the bed to catch the drips :D Only joking, I hope you find the offending tile/slate

Muckit wrote: »
    you'I have to pull the pi$$ pot from under the bed to catch the drips :D Only joking, I hope you find the offending tile/slate

thats shoddy workmanship up there Ted

bbam wrote: »
    .Went to a Gloucestershire Old spot , Great White cross which I'm told will be tasty and less fatty...

I've been told that with intensive feeding you can kill to 70kg at 20 weeks.. LAst year we killed at about 30 weeks and they were ~75kg but got lots of veg and fruit rather than intensive meal...

bbam,

at 7 weeks to killing at 30 weeks can you give me a description of looking after them.

ie diet , what food tyes and when,
    Vet and drugs etc
    anything else

bbam,

at 7 weeks to killing at 30 weeks can you give me a description of looking after them.

ie diet , what food tyes and when,
    Vet and drugs etc
    anything else
    Hey..
    Firstly I'll put my hans up and admit last year whas the first time I ever handled a pig as we never had them on the farm before, read a bit and talked to a few lads who had them...

If they are on a meal only diet the general rule seems to be 1kg meal per month old, every day.

Ours are in an open pen with access to a covered shed, free to root away and fenced in with an electric fence and chicken wire as a back up..

We get waste veg and fruit from a veg shop and scraps from three houses (no meat).. Beer slops from a pub too, ~3 galons a week.

Sounds disgusting but we mix all up in 4 galon buckets, About 1 kg meal, 1 kg rolled barley and top it out with veg and scraps, wet up well with beer and water..

Each bucket feeds for two days, until 12 weeks we feed twice a day and then once a day afterwards..

We keep veg and fruit loose thrown in the pen which they love rooting about for and it keeps them occupied too..

Trough of fresh water, repleneshed few times a week but the feed is wet so they mostly just mess about in the water and empty it on the ground..

Only ailment last year was a swolen leg when they were about 60kg, it was some crack catching him and then couldn't find anything wrong, just washed out the hoof and leg with hot water and dettol and it was lame for about two weeks and then cleared up.. nothing administered as we were killing them for ourselves..

They got about a galon of beer each the morning of slaughter and were the most relaxed looking pigs at the slaughter house by far :cool:, no signs of stress and slept while waiting their turn.

bbam wrote: »
    They got about a galon of beer each the morning of slaughter and were the most relaxed looking pigs at the slaughter house by far :cool:, no signs of stress and slept while waiting their turn.

Im putting mine on slats. 2 pigs to a 10 x 10 pen with roof over half of it (well thats the plan in time.)

So its really food and water so. I asked a local veg store also never thought of a pub for beer. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i have to run a pipe from my house to a stream about 100 meters away down through the yard. It will be onlyfor roof water (after my water tanks are full). It will be catching the house, and 4 sheds so days like today the tanks will fill and then through over flows flow into the pipe.

Im thinking of also draining the yard into it after filtering the water through a silt trap. The yard will be clean and no oil, milk or other stuff will have access to the stream. Am i missing anything?

So do i go 9" concrete pipes at €5.75 plus vat per meter

or is there a plastic alternative? The 9" corri twin walled pipe has small slits on it. SO the water would escape before it gets to the stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i have to run a pipe from my house to a stream about 100 meters away down through the yard. It will be onlyfor roof water (after my water tanks are full). It will be catching the house, and 4 sheds so days like today the tanks will fill and then through over flows flow into the pipe.

Im thinking of also draining the yard into it after filtering the water through a silt trap. The yard will be clean and no oil, milk or other stuff will have access to the stream. Am i missing anything?

So do i go 9" concrete pipes at €5.75 plus vat per meter

or is there a plastic alternative? The 9" corri twin walled pipe has small slits on it. SO the water would escape before it gets to the stream?

The Corri twin walled pipes are so handy. I'll never go back to concrete pipes. You can get both perforated and non perforated JFC ones. Last ones I bought were €46 + Vat for 9" from FRS.

The Corri twin walled pipes are so handy. I'll never go back to concrete pipes. You can get both perforated and non perforated JFC ones. Last ones I bought were €46 + Vat for 9" from FRS.

Reilig, is that for 6 meter lenghts? Non perforated i presume wount let water out? are the joiners expensice?

Which FRS did you deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

Joiners should be included with each pipe 55 euro including vat from my local hardware had to go in to get the joiners from them tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Reilig, is that for 6 meter lenghts? Non perforated i presume wount let water out? are the joiners expensice?

Which FRS did you deal with?

FRS in Roscommon. Non perforated means no holes (except at each end :D )

I presume that joiners come with them, but I never needed any so can't be sure.

FRS in Roscommon. Non perforated means no holes (except at each end :D )

QUOTE]

Ya can never be to careful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

On the train up to Dublin, have passed plenty of fields of fine grass fit for cutting under lakes of water :eek:

Just passed a field of winter barley (i think) and a lot of it was lodged... :(

Summer in Ireland ha... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Lads. Just walked a garden of long grass and it's dry. Could I knock some silage this pm and bale it Sunday. Am I mad to even think of it? Like that lad on the news last night:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Lads. Just walked a garden of long grass and it's dry. Could I knock some silage this pm and bale it Sunday. Am I mad to even think of it? Like that lad on the news last night:)

Some serious drying out down this way at the moment anyway, where there was gaps with ponds of water this morning there is none now, looks like forecast isn't too bad until middle of next week again so maybe worth giving it until tomorrow so ground should be well soaked by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

With all the rain yesterday, it still was around a temperature of 18C. So not so severe on cattle. Ground was very dry and hard, around here anyway, so little poaching too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

Ford / NH 7740 , thinkin of buying one . Its 1996. any experiences out there either positive or negative ?
    We have a Nh 7740 . No problems with it ours it's 1997 . Ours has the sldp gearbox which is reliable . The sle boxes are good when working but if they break it cost 2-3 k to fix . There a great tractor all round , good on diesel , great tractor to pull : ours pull a 2000 gallon tanker , very comfortable . Stay from early white cab 7740 , they give trouble .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

If all cows were this productive.
    http://westcorktimes.com/home/?p=8808

Agree totally. They're the only show in town for that job.

jd6920s wrote: »
    We have a Nh 7740 . No problems with it ours it's 1997 . Ours has the sldp gearbox which is reliable . The sle boxes are good when working but if they break it cost 2-3 k to fix . There a great tractor all round , good on diesel , great tractor to pull : ours pull a 2000 gallon tanker , very comfortable . Stay from early white cab 7740 , they give trouble .

Thanks jd but my local expert gave it the thumbs down so I stuck with the MF for this year. The one we checked over was immaculate but he detected a knock in the engine plus blow-by in the chambers so, although I thought it a gem, he advised me to let her go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Spent the late afternoon/early evening spraying some regrowth of rushes in the bottom third today. Hope I wasn't too late as the feckers already had some seeds growing, though thinking of the seed bank that must be in the ground I wonder why I'm worrying. Thistles are making some headway, but not at the right stage to be tackled yet. Giving the creeping gorse a break as the ewes and lambs are in there at the minute.

johngalway wrote: »
    Spent the late afternoon/early evening spraying some regrowth of rushes in the bottom third today. Hope I wasn't too late as the feckers already had some seeds growing, though thinking of the seed bank that must be in the ground I wonder why I'm worrying. Thistles are making some headway, but not at the right stage to be tackled yet. Giving the creeping gorse a break as the ewes and lambs are in there at the minute.

Get the side stone at the scythe and attack those thistles. No need for expensive spray, just a bit of elbow grease ;)

Get the side stone at the scythe and attack those thistles. No need for expensive spray, just a bit of elbow grease ;)

Me and scythe :D Well, I suppose becoming shorter would have the advantage of not hitting my head on stuff so much :pac:

Actually, I'm gonna try that, thanks Muckit :) Be cheaper to buy a scythe and stone than yet more spray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

"cut them in June
    'tis a month too soon
    cut them in July
    they wilt and die"

I've just been reading that "they" reckon pulling creeping thistle is supposedly more effective than cutting them as the regrowth has to come from below ground and uses up more of the food which the plant stores in it's root on regrowth of the above ground plant rather than extension of the existing root network.

have had 4 animals with bloat in the last few days so keep your eyes open, growth has being bananas

have had 4 animals with bloat in the last few days so keep your eyes open, growth has being bananas

Thanks for that bob. Good to know ;)

Did you give them a shot of liquid paraffin or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Do they still make scythes? Thought the strimmer replaced them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1chippy wrote: »
    We've an old scythe hanging in the shed. Hasn't been used in 20 years though. You can pull thistles with leather glooves , but I think spot spraying is the only job.

Thanks for that bob. Good to know ;)

Did you give them a shot of liquid paraffin or what?

No, I always just vent them fully and then 10lts of water with bi carbonate of soda and calcium. These are animals on a 70% grass, 30% TMR blend. I will up the calcium levels in the TMR blend and it should solve my problems and maybe add a pinch of bi carbonate in aswell to be 100% confident. the land they are grazing would be well manured.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

i took 4 weanling bulls to macroom yesterday .4 red lim 435 kgs born aug and september they made 1145 .there was a very good trade for them. a shipper bought them .

1chippy wrote: »

Yes they still make them, be a sorry day they stop making useful hand tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I got a sythe on adverts awhile back for eight euros . It still had the rubber strip over the blade ,never used . They are a handy thing have , I used it this morning to cut a bit of grass for a heifer that is in the shed on her own .
    Kinda like zero grazing on a small scale :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Kinda like zero grazing on a small scale :D

:pac: :pac:

And unlike the poor guy who turned over his zero grazing rig in the field (unhurt thankfully) you're not going to be too worried about upending the scythe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

johngalway wrote: »
    :pac: :pac:

And unlike the poor guy who turned over his zero grazing rig in the field (unhurt thankfully) you're not going to be too worried about upending the scythe :D
    I got upended myself a couple of times as a young lad when i broke the handles on the grandfathers scythe :-)

pakalasa wrote: »
    We've an old scythe hanging in the shed. Hasn't been used in 20 years though. You can pull thistles with leather glooves , but I think spot spraying is the only job.

It's easy kill the thistle. Top every year. After 3-4 years they should be gone completely

• Advertisement

The only topper I can use is for pencils :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement