Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johngalway wrote: »
    The only topper I can use is for pencils :D

Buy a biro and sell the topper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone else seeing redwater rife at the minute? Speaking to the vet earlier and he had 5 transfusions to do yesterday:eek:
    Wlaked through a right of way to our land (grass is long and stringy) and I picked off nearly twenty ticks off meself. Hope I don't come down with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Anyone else seeing redwater rife at the minute? Speaking to the vet earlier and he had 5 transfusions to do yesterday:eek:
    Wlaked through a right of way to our land (grass is long and stringy) and I picked off nearly twenty ticks off meself. Hope I don't come down with it!!

Buy yourself one of these:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

You're more at risk from Lyme disease. My girlfriend got it a while back, it's something you seriously don't want to have.

Buy yourself one of these:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

You're more at risk from Lyme disease. My girlfriend got it a while back, it's something you seriously don't want to have.

We have three different types (I think) over here. One is red backed, one red-spotted backed and one is a small black lad. Do they all carry it? I've just picked them off me since I could walk, and I'm no spring chicken:rolleyes:

We have three different types (I think) over here. One is red backed, one red-spotted backed and one is a small black lad. Do they all carry it? I've just picked them off me since I could walk, and I'm no spring chicken:rolleyes:

I am not sure, I know ticks in Connemara have it, we're supposedly one of the "hot spots" in Ireland.

This site might have more information:

http://ticktalkireland.org/

• Advertisement

I am not sure, I know ticks in Connemara have it, we're supposedly one of the "hot spots" in Ireland.

This site might have more information:

http://ticktalkireland.org/

I think I'll be a typical farmer and go.....meh:o
    I got over fifty in one day last year on an island in Lough Derg.
    The hills I was on is a hot spot too. No heifer we buy in can go there. Best land we have too:(

Just off for a dip in the lake now, washing off last nights tan!!!

I think I'll be a typical farmer and go.....meh:o
    I got over fifty in one day last year on an island in Lough Derg.
    The hills I was on is a hot spot too. No heifer we buy in can go there. Best land we have too:(

Just off for a dip in the lake now, washing off last nights tan!!!

If you get a bulls eye type bruise around the site of where you've been bitten don't come crying meh to me :D:p

If you get a bulls eye type bruise around the site of where you've been bitten don't come crying meh to me :D:p

I will not, I'll go crying to the doctor! Just picked another red-back off my leg. This is unreal, have not seen this amount in years.

I will not, I'll go crying to the doctor! Just picked another red-back off my leg. This is unreal, have not seen this amount in years.

Tell the doctor what it is, they likely won't have a clue ;)

Strange, we were going through some lambs today and thought there's less ticks around this year than last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

good luck ireland:D had to put my bunting up 3 times today as my youngest kept pulling it down:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

was watching a heifer to calve today. checked every two hours. got up this evening and found a spine and head left. something strippped it clean, cleanings and all.

whelan1 wrote: »
    good luck ireland:D had to put my bunting up 3 times today as my youngest kept pulling it down:mad:

The way things are going he might pull it down yet again tonight :D I'm glad I stayed out on the farm long enough to miss most of the match :rolleyes:

1chippy wrote: »
    was watching a heifer to calve today. checked every two hours. got up this evening and found a spine and head left. something strippped it clean, cleanings and all.

Jebus:eek: Don't tell me more stories of big cats will appear.
    Very strange though, unless it was a pack there aren't too many predators in Ire that will strip a calf in one night.

Odd thought to post at this time of night but what better weather we're having compared to last years incessantly dull, wet misery of an affair.

Little misty this morning, but has blown off. Baling at 1.30pm so hope no big showers before then :rolleyes:

Great growth the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

putting in 14 acres in a pit after lunch,must be10 years since i had a pit of my own silage:rolleyes:.

leg wax wrote: »
    putting in 14 acres in a pit after lunch,must be10 years since i had a pit of my own silage:rolleyes:.

Is it a heavy crop? You'I have a nice sized pit ;) You can't beat a pit to keep costs down. Not making one this year and kinda half regretting it now, but tis good to change things around now and again.

What will you be using to feed it out, have you anything planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stuck inside doing the nutrient management plan. talk about joining the dots together, little did we realize when the consequences when the IFA were stuffing their mouths, that the Nitrates directive would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Cut 40 acres Saturday evening and going in to pit in next few hours, say at least 5 years here since last pit (sounds like confession!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

KCTK wrote: »
    Cut 40 acres Saturday evening and going in to pit in next few hours, say at least 5 years here since last pit (sounds like confession!!!)

Two types of farmers, those with pit, those who wish they had!!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

KCTK wrote: »

my son mows for a guy with a fusion, he told me 3 of their customers have gone back to pit silage this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

MfMan wrote: »
    Two types of farmers, those with pit, those who wish they had!!!!! :D:D:D

I dont know about that! I'm pretty glad I wont have to come home from work this winter to face into rolling back a pit cover that had collapsed down the face of the pit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

stuck inside doing the nutrient management plan. talk about joining the dots together, little did we realize when the consequences when the IFA were stuffing their mouths, that the Nitrates directive would have.

You're right....there should be no derogation....stocking rate of less than 170kg or else penalties.....were we foolish or what, trying to obtain a derogation from the EU while we were 'stuffing our mouths'

I dont know about that! I'm pretty glad I wont have to come home from work this winter to face into rolling back a pit cover that had collapsed down the face of the pit

Simple answer to that one - stanley knife ;) Roll the bottom sheet on its own and the top sheets together. Cut the top sheets and leave the one bottom one intact if they fall down like that. It's easy horse back up one.

I'm really not looking forward to all the wet net and wraps we'I have around the yard this winter... and having to pay to dispose of it :o

hatched a few chicks last week in the incubator, they are in the house. Left the kitchen door open for a few minutes, yesterday, while i went out to get something and met the fooking cat with one of the chicks in her mouth when i was going back in:eek: Decided to catch the cat in the mink trap- shes half wild- and we brought her to our outfarm which is 2 miles away.Saw her there this morning. Was finishing up milking this evening, and there bold as brass is the cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

hatched a few chicks last week in the incubator, they are in the house. Left the kitchen door open for a few minutes, yesterday, while i went out to get something and met the fooking cat with one of the chicks in her mouth when i was going back in:eek: Decided to catch the cat in the mink trap- shes half wild- and we brought her to our outfarm which is 2 miles away.Saw her there this morning. Was finishing up milking this evening, and there bold as brass is the cat

remember giving a cat to a relation about 10 miles away from us when we were kids. we travelled at night and cat was in the boot, anyway cat was back in the yard the next evening!!!!!

I have two mouser kits just about ready to go if anyone would like one. 9 weeks old and this morning at 7 am I opened the door to a kit with a mouse tail sticking out of her gob:eek:
    (my Kovu got a bit active before I realised:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Never mind that, I'm just in from covering the pit after work this evening. Soaked to the skin and as black as an angus off the tyres. 14 acres gone in with the same for the second cut. Have 13 acres ready for mowing for bales. We always like to have a few about so we don't have to open the pit until all stock are in and we're able to clean the face every few days.

What are you doing on boards Whelan1?? There's a pit to be sealed!!

Out you go and horse up those tyres!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    What are you doing on boards Whelan1?? There's a pit to be sealed!!

Out you go and horse up those tyres!! :D:D:D
    contractors came back at 7.15 amand covered the pit while i was milking.... raining now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

contractors came back at 7.15 am and covered the pit while i was sleeping.... raining now:D

Fixed your post for ya there:D

Bizzum wrote: »
    Fixed your post for ya there:D
    kids dropped the keyoard, space bar andb,n,m are alot of hard work:D

contractors came back at 7.15 amand covered the pit while i was milking.... raining now:D

I'm jealous!!

God that's some service. But I suppose when your giving them 90 acres worth of business, that's a job they want to keep ;)

Do they do it every year for you? Will they come back in two weeks time and tighten down the covers? :p:p

I'm jealous!!

God that's some service. But I suppose when your giving them 90 acres worth of business, that's a job they want to keep ;)

Do they do it every year for you? Will they come back in two weeks time and tighten down the covers? :p:p

+1 on that. Not only does our contractor not cover the pit but he was short of drivers on Monday evening so I put it into the pit on his loading shovel and the auld lad was drawing away all evening on one of his tractors. He is a neighbour who has a self propel for his own 120 acres and we are the only paying job he does.

I'm jealous!!

they are sound out... they have benn doing mine for about 5 years, will do my wholecrop and a very small second cut, also put out my dung aswell... when you have a good service like that its hard to justify doing it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

the few years i worked with a contractor we use to cover maybe 8 pits.

you could easily cover a pit in 45mins. the loader was going all the tyre work just spread them out and move the plastic down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You've certainly dodged a bullet Whelan - the outlook for the next few days is dire to say the least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

done right it should take very little time.

lay your sheets however it is you want them then roll them back 3/4 ways as one sheet.

loader drives up with tyres on the fork and dumps them, few lads up top to spread them out.

unroll a bit more, another load of tyres, rinse and repeat.

in a perfect world you'd have a teleporter for it I suppose, would make it a very handy job then.

I remember as a kid myself and my father used go to my aunts farm to help cover the pit.

twas a days work, even though they had a digger. my auld lad and his sister would fight like kids over the right way to do it, while her husband would tip along in the digger at idle putting tyres over the side wall of the pit for us to lay out.

That was a feckin big pit too, especially when you're 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

JohnBoy wrote: »

lay your sheets however it is you want them then roll them back 3/4 ways as one sheet.

loader drives up with tyres on the fork and dumps them, few lads up top to spread them out.

in a perfect world you'd have a teleporter for it I suppose, would make it a very handy job then.

I remember as a kid myself and my father used go to my aunts farm to help cover the pit.

twas a days work, even though they had a digger. my auld lad and his sister would fight like kids over the right way to do it, while her husband would tip along in the digger at idle putting tyres over the side wall of the pit for us to lay out.

Yeah, that takes me back John - we used to have pit silage at home when I was young. Covering the silage was one of those jobs I fecking hated. :(
    I'm jealous!!

God that's some service. But I suppose when your giving them 90 acres worth of business, that's a job they want to keep wink.gif

Do they do it every year for you? Will they come back in two weeks time and tighten down the covers? tongue.giftongue.gif

We never tightened the covers down after it was covered.
    What we used to do (not saying its right, just what we did) was put the silage cover down about 6 inches or more between the wall and the pit, then put sandbags on top all along the wall. Then put heavy lorry covers (or ship covers maybe) on top again... :(
    So you had to kinda make a small 'V' trench of sorts with a shovel, or with your hands (wearing gloves, or else you rip the knuckles off yerself) between the wall and the pit, and then stuff the cover in there... going along on yer knees...

I assume this was just us, and not really how its done :confused:

Having said that, we never had any waste at all, so I guess we must have done something right... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

We use the track machine,the tyres are stacked either side of the pit we pick them up and place them with the digger.

• Advertisement

last cow calved yesterday, she had milk fever this morning, but wasnt too bad.Couldnt get a bottle in to her in field so brought her in, refused to go down crush as there was a little pool of water at the back of it:confused: so put some straw on the water, she went in to the crush and tried to climb the side of it, she went down:( got the 2 bottles in to her and had to pull her out of the crush, left her sitting in the yard and she got up after half an hour... glad to see the end of calving now.... starting again in august:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

hd 7 cull cows to go to mart,usually go to crrick on suir with them but a man was telling me the other day he brings them to kilkenny mart,reckons better off,what do ye think of cull prices in kilkenny/carrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

When i was younger we used to cover our pit with dung .dual spreader along front all the way to the back.did not have that much waste as we would spread grass seed to make it easier to take off in the winter .neighbour used to set onions in the dung and a few late spuds .i reckon the car tires aren t heavy enough.
    Now all bales less drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

some guys from the bb society are coming today to talk about a farm open day,will let you know how it goes,i prezume a saturday would suit yee all that are working [if you want to come]:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

some guys from the bb society are coming today to talk about a farm open day,will let you know how it goes,i prezume a saturday would suit yee all that are working [if you want to come]:).

Sure will we organise a bus and a flask :D

What's the breakfast like? :D

jerdee wrote: »
    When i was younger we used to cover our pit with dung ......I reckon the car tires aren t heavy enough.
    Now all bales less drama.

Yes when we made the pits out the field (when I was a nipper), we used dung and dug a trench along the side with spade and turned over the sod to seal the edge. Dung was very handy to peel off as you said once grass grew on it. But big problems with birds picking holes when rooting for worms :mad::mad:

Re car tires not being heavy enough..... I used to think it was the weight thing too. Thought the heavier the tyre the better. We don't have a F loader so would kill myself rolling lorry tyres up on top of the pit. But sure I was doing more harm than good stretching the polythene with the heels of my boots/wellies :o

Now use nearly all car tyres. Throw up as many as possible, then take off the wellies, up on hands and knees and spread them out, or walk on the tyres already laid. lorry tyres left for around the sides.

I personally think the biggest aid to preserving good precision chop silage is cutting date. Cut on or before the June bank holiday. Cutting date doesn't seem as critical with baled silage for some reason.

Also tightening down the cover after pit has sagged is very important.

Sure will we organise a bus and a flask :D

Never mind the bus. A session the night before and the number of a local b&b will do. Farming and forestry social outing:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Re social outing to see fat arses ..

Some camper vans left after euro2012 should be idle come next week .sure a dry spot by the tree would suffice legs.

Muckit only jumbo breakfast roll Will do.

C ya then

Ya if it's a Saturday I'm there. Bit of a treck, but f**k it ;)

Will Justin be there with his words of wisdom to tell you where you are going wrong legs? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement