Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Well if you're hosting one let us bloody know!
    I need a new occasion to dust off the flowery wellies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A session the night before and the number of a local b&b :P.

Now your talkin' ;) Talk a half day Friday. Tip down. Throw the bag at the B&B and down the pub for a few. Listening to Justin or some Teagasc lads then on Saturday with the heads melted off us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

leg wax wrote: »
    some guys from the bb society are coming today to talk about a farm open day,will let you know how it goes,i prezume a saturday would suit yee all that are working [if you want to come]:).
    Gr8 stuff legs. It would be gas to meet up with a few of the posters on here. Now how to break it to the missus! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just do it wrote: »
    Gr8 stuff legs. It would be gas to meet up with a few of the posters on here.

Well just do it........How YOU doin;)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Well just do it........How YOU doin;)
    ??

I'm doin just fine, and how YOU doin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Think about packing the hang sandwiches mysel an head up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Would love to have a look at the cows they are out of meself. If it works out that I am going there will be room for one or two in the car if anyone wants a lift from the galway side (anyone that knows the way would be a brilliant addition :D)

Leg wax,
    Where you based?!

weighed the 1st batch of weaned bulls today the 9 of them were weaned 3 weeks ago. Happy enough with weights.
    BYU born 26.7.11 475kgs
    BYU " 28.7.11 385KGS
    EDJ " 1.8.11 385KGS
    BYU " 3.8.11 420KGS
    FHZ " 4.8.11 415KGS
    EkB " 10.8.11 450KGS
    RSW " 26.8.11 380KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 335KGS
    RSW TWIN 10.8.11 330KGS

They are on 3.5 kgs of meal since weaning and were on 1.5kgs for the 3 months before that.
    Leg wax,
    Here are the weights I was thinking of, it turns out it was tismesoitis that posted them.

Tismesoitis,
    How did you get on with these?

I'd mine weighed a while back and fell well short of these lwg's. I'll post a full set of figures when they're sold in a few weeks. One thing is for sure, I'm only playing catch up with you guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was passing sixmilebridge mart today and stopped for a look at the weanlings.:D 2 prices I remember.
    BB 370 Kgs - € 1230
    BB 450 Kgs - € 1540
    There seemed to be 2 very active bidders. Big enough mart for this time of year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rounded up the flock, wormed the lambs, gave them some cobalt, and their first round of Heptevac-p plus. Always feel better about them having gone through them and done a job like it. Next stop, the hill, better late than never :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was passing sixmilebridge mart today and stopped for a look at the weanlings.:D 2 prices I remember.
    BB 370 Kgs - € 1230
    BB 450 Kgs - € 1540
    There seemed to be 2 very active bidders. Big enough mart for this time of year too.[/QUOTE

nothing wrong with those prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

had a good sale today.prices,heifers, 340kg 1270 346kg 1270 336kg 1230 286kg 1200 264kg 1000.bulls 526kg 1540 468kg 1460 490kg 1350 326kg 1160 374kg 1340 314kg 1110 282kg 830 378kg 920 . sold 23 animals av weight 366 at 3.20 a kilo:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

great to hear you got well rewarded for rearing those super blues leg wax, enjoy the few pints tonight, well deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Another disastrous week with animal health. no sooner overcome one problem and something else makes sh*te of things. to add insult to injury I shot 2 decent calves with BVD aswell. hearing their mothers bauling looking for them is very dishearting. Both of them were bought in dry cows that turned up in calf. Why I farm, I don't know :mad:. Suppose every cloud has a silver lineing as the knacker man says :D

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Bob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Another week starting tomorrow Bob hopefully it will go better . Can be a right long week when things dont go right .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Go for a few pints bob and forget about it.Sometimes you just need to get away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

had a good sale today.prices,heifers, 340kg 1270 346kg 1270 336kg 1230 286kg 1200 264kg 1000.bulls 526kg 1540 468kg 1460 490kg 1350 326kg 1160 374kg 1340 314kg 1110 282kg 830 378kg 920 . sold 23 animals av weight 366 at 3.20 a kilo:D:D.

As good as they looked online they looked better in the flesh and looked outstanding in the ring. Did you think from the sale of them that you don't get paid well enough for any weight over the 400Kg. Take 340Kg @ €1270 as against that good bull €526 @ €1540. Not criticizing your timing of sale or owt but it makes me think about moving forward the sale date of a few here to sell at or just below 400Kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Go for a few pints bob and forget about it.Sometimes you just need to get away from it.

Nah I'm grand, but its easy so how it could easily cause serious mental problems to some people. I had a mate call me this evening just looking for someone to basically talk with. He has lost half dozen suckler cows in the last 2 months. He is selling out and I told him it was a decision he wouldn't regret which he agreed with. Were talking a good few hundred animals in his herd. It just not worth the stress nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just been told that to morrow is farther's day & i can have the day off I like , offers like this usually come with a sting in the tail :) so wondering what the next request is?

on a side note just want to say well done to the 3 women in my life (o/h and 2 offspring) for raising a substantial figure for the pink ribbon walk to day

http://www.pinkribbonwalk.ie/index.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I was down on the farm today. put 95 litres of grazon 90 on in a little over an hour. I love the quad sprayer in the boot of the jeep.

I was gonna bitch some more about discovering "someone" keeping cattle in one of our sheds, but problems like bob and his friend are having do put things in perspective.

hope next week's a better one bob

JohnBoy wrote: »
    I was gonna bitch some more about discovering "someone" keeping cattle in one of our sheds

You're gonna have to tell us more about that? :D

I must take a photo tomorrow of the job Grazon is doing on the furze I sprayed, such a lovely colour they are now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

johngalway wrote: »
    You're gonna have to tell us more about that? :D

I must take a photo tomorrow of the job Grazon is doing on the furze I sprayed, such a lovely colour they are now :D
    im gona go on a kamacazy mission against the firs on my land next week:D, does the grazon kill them properly

As good as they looked online they looked better in the flesh and looked outstanding in the ring. Did you think from the sale of them that you don't get paid well enough for any weight over the 400Kg. Take 340Kg @ €1270 as against that good bull €526 @ €1540. Not criticizing your timing of sale or owt but it makes me think about moving forward the sale date of a few here to sell at or just below 400Kg.
    yes i know what you are saying, but when i am trying to sell this time of the year i am trying to fill a lorry or a double and have numbers so that i can ring all the shippers and say i am coming,they know my stock and name now and in fairness to them all they turned up yesterday.so to your question that lower weight is the way to go,because they can fit more bulls in the lorry going to italy,a farmer from gorey bought 4 of the expensive heifers and i asked him what was he going to do with them his answer, look at them:eek::eek:.you have some great stock yourself by the photos are they on creep yet,let me know when you are going with them i will come down for the full of my eye.:rolleyes:

There was an article in the journal a while back on the Italian feedlots. They were saying that the ideal weight for them was about 400 Kgs. They were only feeding them on to about 550 Kgs too. It would explain why they dont really want the heavier bulls.

johngalway wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing it. I got the rushes sprayed last weekend and the few bits of furze around the place are next on the hit list :)

when i am trying to sell this time of the year i am trying to fill a lorry or a double and have numbers so that i can ring all the shippers and say i am coming,they know my stock and name now and in fairness to them all they turned up yesterday :
    Is there many shippers in the business in Ireland?

I can name five straight off but that's just the one's I know personally. Prob a good few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Leg wax,
    Here are the weights I was thinking of, it turns out it was tismesoitis that posted them.

Tismesoitis,
    How did you get on with these?

I'd mine weighed a while back and fell well short of these lwg's. I'll post a full set of figures when they're sold in a few weeks. One thing is for sure, I'm only playing catch up with you guys.

In fairness legs seems to be d man to catch he's deffinatly getting the top notch shape into his calves!! We sold 4 of these already avg about 2.70 per kg with weights from 475 -535 so happy with cheque.The point made earlier about selling them lighter is spot on when talking about the real muscle machines legs showed us in d vid.

By the way LEGS (sorry for shouting;)) any news of the BB field day?????

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    im gona go on a kamacazy mission against the firs on my land next week:D, does the grazon kill them properly
    I look forward to seeing it. I got the rushes sprayed last weekend and the few bits of furze around the place are next on the hit list :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79250740&postcount=2097

Come on the banner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Come on the banner!!
    That was the most stressful 70 minutes of my life, great game but a pity about the ending :(

In fairness legs seems to be d man to catch he's deffinatly getting the top notch shape into his calves!! We sold 4 of these already avg about 2.70 per kg with weights from 475 -535 so happy with cheque.The point made earlier about selling them lighter is spot on when talking about the real muscle machines legs showed us in d vid.

By the way LEGS (sorry for shouting;)) any news of the BB field day?????
    have not heard anything back about it,got a phone call last night from a lad that was in the mart and asked if he could come up and look at the cows ,he arrived at ten this morn with 4 others , brought them around to see cows,got a bottle of brandy for my tour, nice lads.

have not heard anything back about it,got a phone call last night from a lad that was in the mart and asked if he could come up and look at the cows ,he arrived at ten this morn with 4 others , brought them around to see cows,got a bottle of brandy for my tour, nice lads.

\Would you think that blonde cows would be the choice for a man if he wanted export quality calves?

johnpawl wrote: »
    \Would you think that blonde cows would be the choice for a man if he wanted export quality calves?
    yes

yes
    what're yours crossed with or are they close to purebred?

johnpawl wrote: »
    what're yours crossed with or are they close to purebred?
    i have half bred cows and pedigree cows, a lot of my cows if they were fat they would be u grade cows.

i have half bred cows and pedigree cows, a lot of my cows if they were fat they would be u grade cows.

Sound, trying to build up numbers here. Might ai a few cows next year to a blonde bull and hope for a few heifers.

• Advertisement

What's the downside to a system like this? Surely there is one. How do you find them healthwise? Do you get more pneumonia? Do you vaccinate for IBR? How do you find the blonde cows for milk and fertility? Do you think the Parthanaise cows will bring even better calves?
    Sorry for all the Q's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Do you get more pneumonia?

:D What is it with you and pneumonia. You have it on the brain! :D

What's the downside to a system like this? Surely there is one. How do you find them healthwise? Do you get more pneumonia? Do you vaccinate for IBR? How do you find the blonde cows for milk and fertility? Do you think the Parthanaise cows will bring even better calves?
    Sorry for all the Q's.

Have to say I agree with legs. Our herd is half ped too. Albeit LM rather than BA or Part. Always get the daintiest calves off those, which exporters love.
    First blonde this year and daddy dearest is very impressed. May be more down the line:cool:

(Oh and to all Fathers on here, happy Daddy day)

Muckit wrote: »
    :D What is it with you and pneumonia. You have it on the brain! :D
    I fecking hate it. Funny thing is, I've never had a calf with it. I've had it with a few older animals though. My neighbours seem to get it regulary. A lot of land around here is very low lying and cold, so when the weather is right, it's happy days..:mad:
    Pneumonia is deffo more prevalent in these tight gutted muscular types. They don't have the same lung capacity as say a big framed charolais.

Sorry for all the Q's.
    second time trying to answer here goes again lost this page as i went into icbf .i vac for everything ibr a big problem if i dont,blonde cow is treated the same as any other breed,some wintered out on a knock if they have bad feet and are back in calf.blonde cows have very little milk,the system i am trying to work is muscle muscle muscle,now if a cow has extra milk its a bonus.i an getting paid for shape and muscle,not size,the fart of a calf that was born last july left me 1460 euros yesterday.and this fact has really focused me on the easy calving blue bull stq.a heifer born on 05/09/11 only weighed 286kgs but made 1200 euro, thats 4.19 a kilo,justin says you need heavy calves to leave you profit for me bullcrap,i have put into the cattle around 100 euros of meal,some of you might say that is crazy,i did not weigh the cattle before feeding but the lads that saw them before and afterwards could not believe how well they had done on average we reconed they put up 50/70 kilos.fertilty would not be top of the class,icbf/calving interval is 286 days calves per year 0.9, number of months calving 11 [think that is wrong].do i think the part will bring better calves no i hope they will just be the same but with more milk and a higher price for the part bull over a blonde bull.

Great stuff....and you know those weanlings of yours are in pens in Italy beside purebreds from Belgium borm by c-section and cows kept in all year around.

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »

I can name five straight off but that's just the one's I know personally. Prob a good few more.
    Good to know, at least that means there's a bit of competition

Sorry for all the Q's.
    Thanks for asking all those questions, I was getting to the stage where I was thinking I was pestering him! ;)

Come on the banner!!
    That was the most stressful 70 minutes of my life, great game but a pity about the ending :(
    Experience won out. In a way the back door suits a young up-and-coming young team (or is that just desperately seeking a positive :confused: )

I've been using the android version of boards.ie for the last few months and one of the disdvantages is not being able to use the smilies. So I've figured away around it. I've placed them all on a separate thread in the test section of the website here, while on the smartphone open this link in a separate window, click reply, and then the code for all the different smilies appear. Go back to the window your post is in and use the relevant smilie code;):)

2 big advantages of the mobile version of boards are:
    - makes putting up the photos very easy
    - when you click on any of your saved threads it goes to the last unread post, as apposed to last page or last post

But typing a short reply takes 20 minutes :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement