Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i know mine was just under 400 thanks to a few "slappers" that where only a few weeks calved when the bull served them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

could anyone help me, we need a side window (the glass only) to a lambourne cab for a mf 265, anyone know where one could be got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moy83 wrote: »
    Im going lamping foxes tonight and after that a mate is having a house party , couple of beers and plenty of jameson :D:D:D:D

Christ, what time does the party start, 3am? :D:D Not dark at 6pm this time of year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

johngalway wrote: »
    Christ, what time does the party start, 3am? :D:D Not dark at 6pm this time of year :p
    The party is probably started since he came home from work :D Its a very relaxed affair that he organises every now and then most of the lads there wont even bother changing out of work clothes .
    I wont be lamping until at least 11 o clock and bout 1 or 2 it will be party time . If this wind doesnt die down there might not be any lamping at all

If this wind doesnt die down there might not be any lamping at all

:confused: Sure a windy night is the best time. What kind of ground you lamping over, gun or dogs?

• Advertisement

:confused: Sure a windy night is the best time. What kind of ground you lamping over, gun or dogs?
    Gun thats why I dont like the wind . It would be mostly bog around where he is coming from , I might be able to call him in close hopefully and get a good shot at him .

Gun thats why I dont like the wind . It would be mostly bog around where he is coming from , I might be able to call him in close hopefully and get a good shot at him .

What calibre, if you don't mind me being nosey? And if ya do well :p

Got .223 here if you need a hand some night.

What calibre, if you don't mind me being nosey? And if ya do well :p

Got .223 here if you need a hand some night.
    Its only a .17 hmr so you can see why i dont like the wind .
    I do alright but dont do alot of lamping since the kids came along , thats why tonight is a treat night :D
    If you want to come down my way some night next week we can do an hour or two no bother , there are one or two spots that we might do well out of

Its only a .17 hmr so you can see why i dont like the wind .
    I do alright but dont do alot of lamping since the kids came along , thats why tonight is a treat night :D
    If you want to come down my way some night next week we can do an hour or two no bother , there are one or two spots that we might do well out of

I was figuring it was either a HMR or .22lr.

Yeah, sound, we'll work something out no probs.

I do feck all lamping this time of year as it's dark too late.

no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Lads, I have bullock with a lump on his shoulder at the site of his blackleg injection,(8 weeks after the shot) think is it a sign of something oncoming or is it now useless and he could do with another shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Lads, I have bullock with a lump on his shoulder at the site of his blackleg injection,(8 weeks after the shot) think is it a sign of something oncoming or is it now useless and he could do with another shot?

probably an infection from a dirty needle. should burst in its own time and all will be okay, the vaccine will more than likely have worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Heading to the mart in a few hours, fingers crossed ;)

stanflt wrote: »
    whats your calving interval-honest please mine was 417 this year
    whelan1 wrote: »
    i know mine was just under 400 thanks to a few "slappers" that where only a few weeks calved when the bull served them

Jeez lass, I'm a bit shocked to hear this as I've ye both marked down as good pro-active farmers. Do ye think this is the norm out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have it at 378. It was at 360 a few years ago, but a problem with the bull one summer saw a lot of cows run a month later than normal.

National average for sucklers is 407

Can't believe that almost 6% of calves born die before 28 days old.

where can you find the calving interval on icbf? found it

reilig wrote: »
    I have it at 378. It was at 360 a few years ago, but a problem with the bull one summer saw a lot of cows run a month later than normal.

National average for sucklers is 407

Can't believe that almost 6% of calves born die before 28 days old.
    amazed also that alost 50% of calves in the national herd have an unknown sire:eek: in this day and age it should be an essential part of registering a calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

amazed also that alost 50% of calves in the national herd have an unknown sire:eek: in this day and age it should be an essential part of registering a calf

I didn't think you could register a calf without the sire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

reilig wrote: »
    I didn't think you could register a calf without the sire.

No you don't have to. We run 2-3 bulls with our cows / heifers, AI occasionally. Don't formally keep track of the bull, but would have a fair idea which bull covered which cow. We should be doing it of course, but just more paper/record keeping. Just register away on line or via post & leave the sire blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

latest calving interval 390 days here with 100% ai used. !st cow of the season calved yesterday. calved on the 22th of july last year. She had a class heifer calf by EKB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

403 days at last recording for 2011. Should be a lot better for 2013. we used a lot of cidrs and made sure to register allcalves on time this year. probably loose a couple of days with the fact were holding all late calvers for autumn calving . Taking the bull out in a week and only three to hold round.All dependant too on what the scanner tells us in a couple of weeks. calvings all finished till october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez lass, I'm a bit shocked to hear this as I've ye both marked down as good pro-active farmers. Do ye think this is the norm out there?

too many 2500gal cows is killing the calving interval-

currently looking at 392days for next year- would be alot lower if i had no carryover cows like a spring man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

latest calving interval 390 days here with 100% ai used. !st cow of the season calved yesterday. calved on the 22th of july last year. She had a class heifer calf by EKB.

winter milk? or spring calving

Day spent cutting new drains, evening spent pulling up thistles and earthing up maincrop Desiree spuds. Kinda glad I'm done for the day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Day spent cutting new drains, evening spent pulling up thistles and earthing up maincrop Desiree spuds. Kinda glad I'm done for the day now.

Thought i had a rough one. 3800 metres of barbedwire pulled, strained and nailed by two of us. all carried by hand (reseeding is still a bit soft and didnt want to mark it ), was actually delighted to see rain at 6 for an excuse to go home. The only downside is i know i still have another day to do.

1chippy wrote: »
    was actually delighted to see rain at 6 for an excuse to go home.

Lol, I know that feeling.

If we're not moving sheep tomorrow I'll be employed with the drag removing the scraw from the drains.

Must get better thistle pulling gloves :o

Actually have a bit of barbed wire work to do myself, but nothing like what ye're at.

putting in new roadways at the minute, just before milking the digger hit a water pipe, had to leg it in to local hardware shop, was €27 for 2x 1 inch joiners with inserts:eek:

winter milk? or spring calving

no no got sense 5 years ago all suckling;). on a side note are u goin on the trip to holland next week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

putting in new roadways at the minute, just before milking the digger hit a water pipe, had to leg it in to local hardware shop, was €27 for 2x 1 inch joiners with inserts:eek:

philmac ? expensive but the only fittings of any use.

how are you going about building the roadways, and what width.
    started some of ours on new land a few month ago, but had to leave them be for a while, will be going back at them next month if it ever dries up.
    removed the top soil on some sections and will just put gravel straight on top of top soil on other parts, the most of them are at 17 ft wide, and a few short stubs will be 13/14 ft.
    with all this bloody rain there are spring opening up in stretches where i plan on laying road

• Advertisement

have alot of shale here, have a hymac in this week digging out all the shale... roadways needed to be done this years cows hated walking on 1 particular roadway... will step out width in the morning... probably around 20 foot... where philmac fittings...will post pics when done:D got 4 loads of stone to go on top tofinish it off €150 a load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

1chippy wrote: »
    Thought i had a rough one. 3800 metres of barbedwire pulled, strained and nailed by two of us. all carried by hand (reseeding is still a bit soft and didnt want to mark it ), was actually delighted to see rain at 6 for an excuse to go home. The only downside is i know i still have another day to do.

Always helps to have that extra pair of hands when you ares straining to keep the wires from getting tangled and throw an odd staple here and there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Must get better thistle pulling gloves :o

Welding gauntlets, you can pull briars with them, never mind thistles.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Welding gauntlets, you can pull briars with them, never mind thistles.

I was thinking as much, I only had those crappy €2 supposed work gloves, the latex covered cloth ones. Must have pulled a few hundred all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Upgrading a skulling gate today from the old V shape to semi auto. Got all the slurry out too, land is very wet again, great to have the silage done earlier this week

Upgrading a skulling gate today from the old V shape to semi auto. Got all the slurry out too, land is very wet again, great to have the silage done earlier this week
    Was it hard to fit the new semi in the old ones place ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'm not so sure which is best! We have both and both have their uses and drawbacks.
    Did anyone here ever have a beast get half through a semi auto gate only to be caught between the ribs and the hips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I was thinking as much, I only had those crappy €2 supposed work gloves, the latex covered cloth ones. Must have pulled a few hundred all the same :D

Surely a few gals weedkiller in the knapsack would be easier and you'd get all the roots

rancher wrote: »
    Surely a few gals weedkiller in the knapsack would be easier and you'd get all the roots

I sprayed five separate times (to get the individual thistles at the right growth stage) last year with something called "highgrass". It killed them alright, but they're back again this year, so I'm trying out something different. Been reading that cutting/pulling before they flower/seed will weaken the root system which is where they store their energy reserve to push up new plants for the next year.

Bought some thistlex this year but been reading it's not recommended for knapsack use, something to do with it being able to cause severe eye damage.

I do have grazon90, but I figured I'd give pulling them a try. Was going to cut them, but had the gloves with me yesterday and just got on a roll pulling them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

rancher wrote: »

seen something advertised on telly a few weeks ago for pulling weeds. it pulls the full weed and whole root out too. it was like a litter picker type thingy.
    now it was for garden use, but it worked it would be great. could bring it herding everyday and catch them early??? also easier on the back lol!!!

Brought 4 bull weanlings to Sixmilebridge yesterday (pictures on photo thread about a month ago). Sold the 3 blues 332kg €900, 372kg €920, 366kg €960. Average €2.60/kg. I thought they'd be ~30/40kg heavier, thought I'd get €2.70-€2.80/kg and based on that I'd hoped to get an extra €100 a head for them.
    I'd a LM as well but didn't sell at €860. I think he weighted 340kg. I've him in with a dry cow and will bring him to ennis in a month.

In hindsight given their weights another month at home would have made a difference.

Talked to Mitchell after, the 3 blues are being exported. 2 were average and the 3rd was borderline quality for export. he was only taking him to keep them together. Told me given their quality it would be better to use CH or LM on their dams. So just reinforces what I think is common knowledge - blues need to be top quality to sell. He's a sharp eye, he was able to tell me there was Angus in one of them. I appreciated him coming over and talking to me.

Lessons to self: cows still not good enough to produce quality blues and need to get better ADG. They average 9.6mo and had a ADG of 1.07kg.

For all that I've had steady improvement since 09 (average figures for male weanlings):
    2009 Age at sale 13m, Weight 294kg, ADG 0.68kg, €/kg €1.75
    2010 Age at sale 13m, Weight 375kg, ADG 0.86kg, €/kg €2.10
    2011 Age at sale 10m, Weight 357kg, ADG 1.07kg, €/kg €2.60

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to insert a table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...... Told me given their quality it would be better to use CH or LM on their dams......
    I leanrned that lesson myself the hard way. The worst weanlings I have this year are BB's from plainish cows. These same cows had much better weanlings from Lim and Char bulls, like you said. BB's won't grow up so they have to grow out, with muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Brought 4 bull weanlings to Sixmilebridge yesterday (pictures on photo thread about a month ago). Sold the 3 blues 332kg €900, 372kg €920, 366kg €960. Average €2.60/kg. I thought they'd be ~30/40kg heavier, thought I'd get €2.70-€2.80/kg and based on that I'd hoped to get an extra €100 a head for them.
    I'd a LM as well but didn't sell at €860. I think he weighted 340kg. I've him in with a dry cow and will bring him to ennis in a month.

In hindsight given their weights another month at home would have made a difference.

Talked to Mitchell after, the 3 blues are being exported. 2 were average and the 3rd was borderline quality for export. he was only taking him to keep them together. Told me given their quality it would be better to use CH or LM on their dams. So just reinforces what I think is common knowledge - blues need to be top quality to sell. He's a sharp eye, he was able to tell me there was Angus in one of them. I appreciated him coming over and talking to me.

Lessons to self: cows still not good enough to produce quality blues and need to get better ADG. They average 9.6mo and had a ADG of 1.07kg.

For all that I've had steady improvement since 09 (average figures for male weanlings):
    well done on those prices but i have to comend you on your improved weight gain and price per kilo,it just shows, you are doing it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

knocked last bit of meadow today and 3 paddocks that had gone strong. Smothered with hay fever now :o

Baling early tomorrow evening. An extra day of wilting would be nice, but Mr. Weather will not play ball

Spent another while at the drains and thistles today, sprayed my spuds for blight. Love to see a new drain working, moss, mint, and rushes days are numbered in that spot, grass and clover here we come.

serious improvement there just do it. keep it goin. I'm in the same position with a number of cows that don't suit BB and to be honest would be quite happy to get the 2.6 for the weanlings. Just wonderin how much meal your feeding??? We will be selling 4 weanlings on tuesday night in carnaross weighed them last week avg 455 kgs at with birth dates 28.7 26.8 and twins born 10th .8th. These ate between 300 and 400 kgs of meal and i think they easily cover it at least 3 times over. you said they weighed a little lighter than expected... our experience is they can loose up to 30 kgs from standing around the mart for alot of the day and then of course being weighed with an empty stomach. anyway well done again on the progress hopefully i can achieve a 2.60 avg with our lads.

Thanks lads for feedback. I've learned a lot on here so every so often I hope someone gets something back ;)

serious improvement there just do it. keep it goin. I'm in the same position with a number of cows that don't suit BB and to be honest would be quite happy to get the 2.6 for the weanlings. Just wonderin how much meal your feeding???
    They were born between 20aug and 26sep and started on beef nuts in the creep area on 15dec. Hadn't planned on starting them off that young but was talking to a local lad who started doing this and reckons he's getting better thrive. They were on 8kg between 9 of them so 0.9kg a day up untill 29mar. They were weaned and weighted that day was disappointed by they're weights - average ADG of 0.95kg/day.
    Weaned on 29mar just out of convenience i.e. day of turn-out. From 29mar on they had 7 weeks on 1.5kg, 3 weeks on 3kg and 2 weeks on 4kg. For first 7 weeks they were in with the heifers. Not ideal but not set-up yet to split them. ADG between 29mar and sat was 1.27kg giving a life-time adg of 1.07kg/day.
    So total meal ~280kg costing €80.
    Grass quality still isn't great so as this improves I'd expect to get some better thrive. Also I'll be a bit better planned for the next bunch!
    We will be selling 4 weanlings on tuesday night in carnaross weighed them last week avg 455 kgs at with birth dates 28.7 26.8 and twins born 10th .8th. These ate between 300 and 400 kgs of meal and i think they easily cover it at least 3 times over.
    Best of luck! I think you'll fare out better as I was told on Sat the exporters are looking for a heavier animal than I had:). I look forward to hearing how you get on.;)
    you said they weighed a little lighter than expected... our experience is they can loose up to 30 kgs from standing around the mart for alot of the day and then of course being weighed with an empty stomach. anyway well done again on the progress hopefully i can achieve a 2.60 avg with our lads.
    They were only off grass about 4hrs and got their meal that morning so I don't think they lost that much. It was a bit of wishfull thinking on my behalf now that I see the ADG's.:rolleyes:

Got half my ewes shorn this evening, lovely evening for it too, cool, breezy, no midges but a few horseflies. Absolutely love to see a shorn sheep, means I don't have to do that job again for another full year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had a lovely evening mapped out... Spot spray with nap sack a few <30 ferns in silage ground closed off June 2 so they can die away and not be around next year! And pull few minor docks that persist by headland...
    Nice dry evening for job...

Instead had 2 month bb with white scour... All I had was a lectade Vet sending noroclav and something else tomorrow z... Big hardy hoor to manhandle and get 2 Ltrs into on my own...

Then to top it off neighbours stock bull came thru 3 fences, again and nailed a cow.. He has rattled 3 in 3 days on us

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement