Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

2nd animal calved this evening a heifer.... calf backwards tough enough pull but not too hard. calf was stone dead when he landed not a kick. talking to vet friend reckons it was more than likely "displaced placenta". Hopefully thats the last of that for this year. Fcukin annoyed so goin to have a monday night beer b4 bed...i think i'm allowed:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

2nd animal calved this evening a heifer.... calf backwards tough enough pull but not too hard. calf was stone dead when he landed not a kick. talking to vet friend reckons it was more than likely "displaced placenta". Hopefully thats the last of that for this year. Fcukin annoyed so goin to have a monday night beer b4 bed...i think i'm allowed:(

dead animals are just getting way more frequent for some reason. Had a lovely suckler cow this morning injured bulling yesterday, screwed her back up some way, off on the knackers truck today. oh the joys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Sorry to hear about your loss, its a dose alright ... enjoy the beer, i doing the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dead animals are just getting way more frequent for some reason. Had a lovely suckler cow this morning injured bulling yesterday, screwed her back up some way, off on the knackers truck today. oh the joys

Bad luck.
    It's a killer, you tip away doing jobs, trying to improve things. Plan out what needs to be done and try and keep things as best you can.
    Then wham, crap like this blindsides you and kills of the profit of all your hard work.

My father used to roll out the usual stuff, " where theres livestock there'll be dead stock" or " once it's outside the door it's great". All well and good and I agree, but it's damn frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

johngalway wrote: »
    Got half my ewes shorn this evening, lovely evening for it too, cool, breezy, no midges but a few horseflies. Absolutely love to see a shorn sheep, means I don't have to do that job again for another full year :D

Do you shear the sheep yerself John?

Do you shear yerself John?

bit personal, eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Finished up bringing in last of baled silage @11 O'Clock last night. :D

Pissing down here this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bit personal, eh

Very good Bob, I must admit... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Muckit wrote: »
    Finished up bringing in last of baled silage @11 O'Clock last night. :D

Pissing down here this morning

Same here Muckit. Even got the youngfella to paint them:D

misc257.th.jpg
    misc254.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

off to powerfloat concrete see you in a couple of hours. hopefully its dry all day tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

after the low of loosin the calf last night just in after calving our best pedigree lim and she obliged with a beautiful heifer calf by ronick hawk..OH YEEAA. did'nt tell d auld lad the straw cost €100:eek::eek:might break it to him in d morning;). To top it off sold d 4 weanlings 480kgs €1275. 455kgs €1320. and the twins 420kgs €1140.We delighted, youngest lad 10mts today he made the 1320, oldest 11mts in 2 days time. can things get any better???????????
    Farming is some rollercoaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

after the low of loosin the calf last night just in after calving our best pedigree lim and she obliged with a beautiful heifer calf by ronick hawk..OH YEEAA. did'nt tell d auld lad the straw cost €100:eek::eek:might break it to him in d morning;). To top it off sold d 4 weanlings 480kgs €1275. 455kgs €1320. and the twins 420kgs €1140.We delighted, youngest lad 10mts today he made the 1320, oldest 11mts in 2 days time. can things get any better???????????

Delighted for ya. These are the days that we do it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

lads how long after a cow is bulled do ya wait to inject her with estrimate to make her repeat?

Bodacious wrote: »
    Had a lovely evening mapped out... Spot spray with nap sack a few <30 ferns in silage ground closed off June 2 so they can die away and not be around next year! And pull few minor docks that persist by headland...
    Nice dry evening for job...

Instead had 2 month bb with white scour... All I had was a lectade Vet sending noroclav and something else tomorrow z... Big hardy hoor to manhandle and get 2 Ltrs into on my own...

Then to top it off neighbours stock bull came thru 3 fences, again and nailed a cow.. He has rattled 3 in 3 days on us

bull back in again today 4 cows in 4 days, getting a bit fed up of him now and bull is wicked and accident/statistic waiting to happen, legally or department wise where do i stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Great result at the mart tisme. You got great weight into them and at €2.73/kg you got a good average price from them as well. And what a cow that produced 840kg and gave you a return of €2,280!!

• Advertisement

2 cups of coffee and off for the graveyard shift, oh the joys of self employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

some shower of rain at 3am:eek: ffs, i dont think that was forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan1 wrote: »
    some shower of rain at 3am:eek: ffs, i dont think that was forecast
    Picking up silage last night nice and dry different story this morning.
    Supposed to be alot of rain tonight/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

bull back in again today 4 cows in 4 days, getting a bit fed up of him now and bull is wicked and accident/statistic waiting to happen, legally or department wise where do i stand?
    factory today!

PMU wrote: »
    factory today!

Hi PMU,

I'd love to factory him but he is neighbours bull!!! 4 rows of barbed no problem to him all I'm asking is where would I stand legally if things got sticky... I use AI and I can't keep him out... He is doing serious danage to fences,is it his duty to keep him in? Would dept of ag if called intervene? I'm not into reporting as it would be a last resort but if needs be would they reprimand him/get bull under control ?

• Advertisement

4 rows of barbed no problem to him

You could have 100 rows of barbed and he'd still probably walk through it. One row of HT wire with plenty of Volts running through it is the only thing that will put manners on that lad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

johngalway wrote: »
    Got half my ewes shorn this evening, lovely evening for it too, cool, breezy, no midges but a few horseflies. Absolutely love to see a shorn sheep, means I don't have to do that job again for another full year :D

Do you shear the sheep yerself John?

I do, hand shears not machine. I've only 40 though, Dad has a hundred and something, so not to many.

Funny man Bob :p

Muckit wrote: »
    4 rows of barbed no problem to him

You could have 100 rows of barbed and he'd still probably walk through it. One row of HT wire with plenty of Volts running through it is the only thing that will put manners on that lad ;)

You bang on Muckit, I subdivide with electric and he walked up when I was creeping the calves under the wire and he left his big wet nose in on the single strand (0nly 9v battery fence and polly) but it put him back on his arse! Problem is neighbour is v slack on fencing and electric would be beyond him completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

creep feeder only out 2 days and found it dragged half way across field , a few bars bent and generally beat up, fecking small cow must have got in and then couldnt get out so she did a fair job on it :mad: the cows are so unhappy these days its a nightmare to geta bit of meal into it even

Hi PMU,

I'd love to factory him but he is neighbours bull!!! 4 rows of barbed no problem to him all I'm asking is where would I stand legally if things got sticky... I use AI and I can't keep him out... He is doing serious danage to fences,is it his duty to keep him in? Would dept of ag if called intervene? I'm not into reporting as it would be a last resort but if needs be would they reprimand him/get bull under control ?
    had a neighbour that thought pallets where great for fencing, his bulls kept breaking into mu cows, i rang him said if they wherent ok by such a time i would ring the department... havent had one outsince, he has 4 strands of barbed wire all round now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Could you lock him into yard safely and wait till neighbour comes to fetch and have a polite word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You bang on Muckit, I subdivide with electric and he walked up when I was creeping the calves under the wire and he left his big wet nose in on the single strand (0nly 9v battery fence and polly) but it put him back on his arse! Problem is neighbour is v slack on fencing and electric would be beyond him completely

Have you spoken to the owner at all???
    We had the same problem twice a few years (and further years) back. Luckily he was a quiet enough bull as for the first lad I was a young foolish girleen at the time. The game of pat the bull on the head was involved:o
    Dad sorted that one by speaking with the owner saying kids on the farm etc etc.
    Second time I had two of my heifers in the field that I wanted LM on. The owner got a grilling himself after the bull broke in three times.
    Strangely enough a good fence appeared after that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

when the bull breaks in again, can you lock him in a yard/shed some where, then ring farmer to come collect him. dont let him run bull back through hedge, but insist on jeep and trailer. do this every time till he get fed up.

or just ring the dept, and let him know if they are informed off his lack of care for stock and boundaries, it could very well put his name further up the short list for cross compliance inspections,

a few well placed words could make all the difference

Would dept of ag if called intervene? I'm not into reporting as it would be a last resort but if needs be would they reprimand him/get bull under control ?

I take it talking to the neighbour isn't an option if you're considering this. What about the Gardaí? The department might look at doing movement tests, particularly if there is any TB in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

just do it wrote: »
    Would dept of ag if called intervene? I'm not into reporting as it would be a last resort but if needs be would they reprimand him/get bull under control ?

I take it talking to the neighbour isn't an option if you're considering this. What about the Gardaí? The department might look at doing movement tests, particularly if there is any TB in the area...
    Speaking as one on the inside. A phone call to the Dept may not be taken seriously as there are a lot of crank calls.
    To put your name to a letter means that it has to be acted upon.
    Don't feel guilty, the neighbour is getting SFP, so he has to have his boundaries stock proof, them's the rules!
    It's much better than ending up in court.

• Advertisement

benjydagg wrote: »
    Speaking as one on the inside. A phone call to the Dept may not be taken seriously as there are a lot of crank calls.
    To put your name to a letter means that it has to be acted upon.
    Don't feel guilty, the neighbour is getting SFP, so he has to have his boundaries stock proof, them's the rules!
    It's much better than ending up in court.
    yup the power of a letter, have probably spoken on here about a brutal teacher my kids have, i sent a letter to the board of management, how quickly things move when its written down:o

if you cut ferns are they palatable when dying like ragworth?

benjydagg wrote: »

Thats a dangerous assumption for a official to be making.

Talk to the owner first and foremost, give them a stern warning that you are not happen and you want the problem sorted asap. If things aren't sorted then they aren't giving you any other options than to go further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Talk to the owner first and foremost, give them a stern warning that you are not happen and you want the problem sorted asap. If things aren't sorted then they aren't giving you any other options than to go further

A neighbour of mine had a similar problem. He put the bull into his crush and got him squeezed. The owner of the bull didnt realise what had happened until three months later!!

Thanks lads/ladies for all the advice.

Things came to a bit of a head this evening and bull had to be removed along with his cows.

He basically went off the head and out on the road, thrashing bushes/fences to bits and i just got my jeep turned and out of his way before he got to it.. (he has hit a jeep before). Owner and another lad came down and could do nothing with him he refused to move, pawing the ground, bawling, turning to one side to show himself as big as he is :) and got down fully in the clay going back and over on his brisket... accident waiting to happen. Owner is nice guy but no farmer but at least he is out of my hair (selfish i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Things came to a bit of a head this evening and bull had to be removed along with his cows.

He basically went off the head and out on the road, thrashing bushes/fences to bits and i just got my jeep turned and out of his way before he got to it.. (he has hit a jeep before). Owner and another lad came down and could do nothing with him he refused to move, pawing the ground, bawling, turning to one side to show himself as big as he is :) and got down fully in the clay going back and over on his brisket... accident waiting to happen. Owner is nice guy but no farmer but at least he is out of my hair (selfish i know)

If he had any sense he would give him the hook. Can not see the reason some people keep bulls like that around the place. As you said an accident waiting to happen is the only way to describe it.

Agree with redz, only place for him is the factory. I hope your neighbour sites the right thing for his own sake as well a everyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭cjpm

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine had a similar problem. He put the bull into his crush and got him squeezed. The owner of the bull didnt realise what had happened until three months later!!

There was a court case in Donegal a year or 2 ago where a fella got done for putting a ring on his neighbours dog. The neighbour thought that the dog was off form and took him to the vet. Vet descovered that the dog was missing a bit!!!:D:D:D

I think yer man admitted that he done it. Big mistake!! Would have been easier and cheaper to sing dumb!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

......He basically went off the head and out on the road, thrashing bushes/fences to bits and i just got my jeep turned and out of his way before he got to it.. (he has hit a jeep before)......
    I started reading this and I thought it was the neighbour you were on about........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

How did that end up? did the fella who sqeezed him have to pay compensation?

two wrongs don't make a right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Finno59 wrote: »
    How did that end up? did the fella who sqeezed him have to pay compensation?

I suppose this wasnt a very good example to give. The bull was a scrub and owned by a farmer in his seventies who thinks its still the 1950's. The man who did the job on the bull is "well connected" and theres no question of compensation being paid.

I think that anyone with a bull should have a good mains electric fence to keep him in his place. Good fences make good neighbours and all that. It sounds like the bull in this case should be on a hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

How much is a foot or Meter of 6" x 3" RSJ? (or what is know as 6x3rsj but now metric)

I gave €6.80 inclusive of vat for 6" channel last week

fantastic evening here... feels like summer at last

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I'm not that far from you whelan and you need a canoe round me. Surface water running down fields is pretty bad round here.

1chippy wrote: »
    I'm not that far from you whelan and you need a canoe round me. Surface water running down fields is pretty bad round here.
    wasraining last night and this morning but sun shining since dinner time

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

We are nearly washed away here in west cork and its pouring now as I look out the window. Cattle will have to come in again if it continues!! summer my arse!icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

cjpm wrote: »
    There was a court case in Donegal a year or 2 ago where a fella got done for putting a ring on his neighbours dog. The neighbour thought that the dog was off form and took him to the vet. Vet descovered that the dog was missing a bit!!!:D:D:D

I think yer man admitted that he done it. Big mistake!! Would have been easier and cheaper to sing dumb!!

Hilarious, burst out laughin readin that. Best laugh I had all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

If he had any sense he would give him the hook. Can not see the reason some people keep bulls like that around the place. As you said an accident waiting to happen is the only way to describe it.

Agreed - He'd prob get €1700 for him in the factory. Get a decent replacement for a couple of hundred euro more. What's a couple of hundred euro if someone gets badly injured? That bull sounds like he'll do damage sooner or later.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement