Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone got some big anchors, some heavy rope and a few rachet straps.... the farm ready to float off here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Agreed - He'd prob get €1700 for him in the factory. Get a decent replacement for a couple of hundred euro more. What's a couple of hundred euro if someone gets badly injured? That bull sounds like he'll do damage sooner or later.

He would be better off without him for sure but he is/was a great breeding bull but he also has heifers up out of him now too and safetywise which should be the No. 1 priority and or the fact that he is really destroying other peoples fences and will in time more than likely hurt/cut himself due to his antics/size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We are nearly washed away here in west cork and its pouring now as I look out the window. Cattle will have to come in again if it continues!! summer my arse!icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

Here in West Cork too. Our landlord has beef and dairy and the electric fence was struck by lightning. The cattle fled and last night they were still hunting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was up in Dublin yesterday getting a newer spec laptop and managed to get sunburned.
    Came home and could have washed my hair in the rain outside:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

sold a shorthorn weanling bull 11months old 450kg for €1080 fairly happy with him think its a good price for a shorthorn anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

limo_100 wrote: »
    sold a shorthorn weanling bull 11months old 450kg for €1080 fairly happy with him think its a good price for a shorthorn anyway
    Sure is. It wasn't that long ago when the Comic were talking about 1000 Euro being a reality for weanlings. I think we've passed that now......;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxa03Abo3U

I cannot embed this but hehehhhehehehehehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

may the sun shine on your wet fields and the grass grow,while i rub oil on my white legs in the comfort of french wine and food while putting up kilos of weight for the busy calving season when i get home.ps i will be keeping a eye on you's so behave. legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Us? Behave? Pfft! ;)

Enjoy yourself over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

ballinasloe mart today anybody?
    two super charolais calves... 370ish 1170/80ish... followed owner out asking questions expecting them to be out of cottage devon or crosmolina...

CWI out of heifers, serious stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

anyone direct me to where cull cows prices are resonable:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

simx wrote: »
    anyone direct me to where cull cows prices are resonable:D
    have had 3 lads ring me in lastfew weeks looking for some culls

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

Anyone have any good farm safety tips. Someone almost lost their fingers the other day on a mchale wrapper. They were tying the wrap onto the table but the driver thought he was holding it for him to squeeze and he caught 2 fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

is it possible to use a bluetooth enabled radio from a car or some thing, in the parlour, and then play your tunes from iphone/smartphone
    or would it just keep disconecting as you walked up and down the pit???

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

i'm after renting more land than i can handle and i need to sell grazing. how much should i charge neighbour for grass? lets say 20 cows and calves, how much per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

ballinasloe mart today anybody?
    two super charolais calves... 370ish 1170/80ish... followed owner out asking questions expecting them to be out of cottage devon or crosmolina...

CWI out of heifers, serious stuff!

We were in headford yesterday, them prices were the norm, bought two charolais's at that weight, at very similar prices!
    There was a few real serious blue heifers in it, the real deal ones, seller refused €1600 for 345kg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We were in headford yesterday, them prices were the norm, bought two charolais's at that weight, at very similar prices!
    There was a few real serious blue heifers in it, the real deal ones, seller refused €1600 for 345kg!
    It woud be interesting to see how much more he will get at a different day / mart .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dar31 wrote: »
    is it possible to use a bluetooth enabled radio from a car or some thing, in the parlour, and then play your tunes from iphone/smartphone
    or would it just keep disconecting as you walked up and down the pit???

would it be easier get a little dock station with speakers, pop iphone or whatever in there when milking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Just wondering how soon I can inject some heifers that the bull broke into last week, they're for selling so don't want them incalf. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

think these heifer were on done deal... unreal heifers tho of the highest quality. 1600 wasnt bad for a show heifers as alot of buks wit calfs claming them be show standard and there pretty average for the quality of the stock for sale now days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Just finished getting T2 on spring wheat around 2 weeks late, couldn't spray for the last 10 days and today just blew up lovely. ground conditions are very poor but for the last few days it felt like it was at final camp waiting to climb to the summit. twice on friday I was heading off spraying only for drops to appear. Final application to the maize is next spray job after dealing with a few late germinating wild oats in sugar beet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

Just finished getting T2 on spring wheat around 2 weeks late, couldn't spray for the last 10 days and today just blew up lovely. ground conditions are very poor but for the last few days it felt like it was at final camp waiting to climb to the summit. twice on friday I was heading off spraying only for drops to appear. Final application to the maize is next spray job after dealing with a few late germinating wild oats in sugar beet :mad:

is the maize under plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stanflt wrote: »
    is the maize under plastic

yip, its crazy to think that a few years ago when we used to grow all open maize that we always hit the "knee high by the 4th of july". for the last 3 years maize under cover has only reached this target. will be applying the normal goodies that I put on it working out under €10 an acre, makes a hugh difference on my soils though. Couple of patches of weeds to be controlled aswell. crop looking okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Strongly considering giving up the sheep farming and going into rice instead, already got the paddy fields for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Todays rain is seriously sickening here when will it stop at all and give us a summer ?

• Advertisement

November :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Its not looking good weather wise for the next 7 days anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

reilig wrote: »
    Its not looking good weather wise for the next 7 days anyway!!

According to the Beeb and the Donegal postman, we could be stuck with this monsoon for the rest of the month:(

Great, shearing in the wet then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Back about 12 years ago i use to have 2 ewes and always got the local butcher to kill the 2/3 lambs for the freezer. They grazed on the acre behind my parents and 1 acre behind next doors also (petrol free lawnmowers) place for 11 months and use to go to my uncles in august or september for 4 or 5 weeks :rolleyes: to the rams. This went on for maybe 6 years, uncle sold the sheep and ram and we did also.

Now - i have my own 50 acres all cattle and would love 2 or 3 ewes. I can let them graze with the calves and butcher the lambs like we use to.But my uncle hasnt sheep and it would be crazy to have a ram for 3 ewes. So question is, would a sheep farmer borrow a ram to me? what would he be watching out for? I use to work with a farmer who has alway 8 rams and before i ask i want to know what risks are they to his ram. my 3 sheep would be a "backyard idea" his is a commercial enterprise.
    (ie if the risks are high i wount even ask him)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Back about 12 years ago i use to have 2 ewes and always got the local butcher to kill the 2/3 lambs for the freezer. They grazed on the acre behind my parents and 1 acre behind next doors also (petrol free lawnmowers) place for 11 months and use to go to my uncles in august or september for 4 or 5 weeks :rolleyes: to the rams. This went on for maybe 6 years, uncle sold the sheep and ram and we did also.

Now - i have my own 50 acres all cattle and would love 2 or 3 ewes. I can let them graze with the calves and butcher the lambs like we use to.But my uncle hasnt sheep and it would be crazy to have a ram for 3 ewes. So question is, would a sheep farmer borrow a ram to me? what would he be watching out for? I use to work with a farmer who has alway 8 rams and before i ask i want to know what risks are they to his ram. my 3 sheep would be a "backyard idea" his is a commercial enterprise.
    (ie if the risks are high i wount even ask him)

When you say graze with the calves - are you setup fencing wise for sheep? If so - why not get more than 2, get 10 or 15 - then you could get yer own ram. They would live away outside happy enough for the winter. Buy a ram, leave him there for 5- 6 weeks, sell him again straight away afterwards. You shouldn't lose much to him, if you weren't too picky to begin with.

The big risk IMO is flock health - the rams pick something up in your care / off your flock - that they can then take back to the owners flock.

You could buy the 2 ewes from the man who would loan you the ram, and make the loan of the ram (for the first year) part of the deal.

Or buy 2 scanned-in-lamb ewes later in the year, that would take care of the problem for the first year at least.

But, in my opinion whilst some people will loan out rams, I dunno does anyone ever like it? I did once - as the lad was stuck and asked - and he was very thankful - I just wasn't happy myself doing it. I am sure they prob had better care there, but even still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

see i would only have the 2 acres at my parents suitable for them fence wise . And i am not going running after 2 ewes any more :D.

maybe i could fence another few acres and get 10/15. Whats the ratio rams to sheep? 1 :20 if not sponged? any auld ram would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Any sign of aer a bit of high pressure anyone ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

see i would only have the 2 acres at my parents suitable for them fence wise . And i am not going running after 2 ewes any more :D.

maybe i could fence another few acres and get 10/15. Whats the ratio rams to sheep? 1 :20 if not sponged? any auld ram would do.

Maybe your contact would let you put the 2 ewes in with his sheep for 3/4 weeks.

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any sign of aer a bit of high pressure anyone ? :mad:

Just the blood pressure this side :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

brought in 35 more cows with their calves today. turning out to be a costly year with this sh1t!!!

Man near me, nice fella now, made... tried to make hay last year. I saw him carting it from the field to the shed, it ended up black - and I mean black - in the bales. Got a lot of rain, standing water in the field, don't think it got a full dry day since it got cut.

Fast forward to this year.

I saw he had the outside of the field knocked, I had been watching the forecast and was :eek: Why now :confused:

Then the next day it was still just the outside knocked, so I thought maybe he's seen the forecast, which was for two wet days, then could go either way after that - it went wet...

That evening when I passed he had knocked the rest, so I suspect twas mower issues stopped him.

Fast forward ten days/a fortnight, he's been in the field today with the 360 machine gathering the "hay" into a corner with the bucket. Totally ruined, blackened, just like the field.

Hay will be dear this year methinks.

Last two times we've moved the cattle they have broken through electric fence into the meadows:mad: Always one animal in certain along with a few variable others. Caught the b***h this evening, was just arriving into the field where a meadow is wired off under a passageway across to the pasture (waterpark at this stage) and seen her use one horn that was de-budded incorrectly lift the wire at a post until it snapped/bent a post in one field!!! Bloody, smart, hungry, yoke.....although it did impress a bit, she's for the vet tomorrow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i have 25 acres of grass rented for silage, its brown at the but, will it be ok if its cut dry?:( its old grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

how many dry days forecast would you want to be putting out fertliser?

field is on the side of a hill and dont want to wash it all down the hill.

I feel for lads with no first cut taken but I need to get fert out for the second cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Mmm... I'd say in present conditions on moist ground you would need at least 2 following days with little or no rain...and after that you're hoping for "ordinary" rainfall after that!

I spread a ton of pasture sward this mornin on good ground so thats my theory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Last two times we've moved the cattle they have broken through electric fence into the meadows:mad: Always one animal in certain along with a few variable others. Caught the b***h this evening, was just arriving into the field where a meadow is wired off under a passageway across to the pasture (waterpark at this stage) and seen her use one horn that was de-budded incorrectly lift the wire at a post until it snapped/bent a post in one field!!! Bloody, smart, hungry, yoke.....although it did impress a bit, she's for the vet tomorrow:D

Had a similar yoke a few years back, solved the problem with a foot of 2 inch L iron bolted at one end to a chain around her neck, she never went near a fence again.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Had a similar yoke a few years back, solved the problem with a foot of 2 inch L iron bolted at one end to a chain around her neck, she never went near a fence again.

I would never be able to do that after running through a pass with a mains fence across it and I didn't see it.....detangling a mains fence from your legs while it's on high is not fun!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/3576997

would love to have this guy grading my cattle at the factory. U grade me h*le!

In related news sent a 22 month old limx bullock to the factory who got no meal and what could only be called adverage grassland management at best. graded R+3=

never finished a bullock that quickly before. he definatly left a profit after him

In related news sent a 22 month old limx bullock to the factory who got no meal and what could only be called adverage grassland management at best. graded R+3=

never finished a bullock that quickly before. he definatly left a profit after him

She looks more like a jersey cross!!

It may not be as bad as you think
    Thursday, 5 July, 2012

ADVANCE ALERT for possible heavy rainfalls in Dublin, Wicklow and parts of the southeast, starting Friday afternoon and lasting into Saturday morning. Potential for 20-40 mms rain. Also, ALERT for locally heavy showers or thundershowers today in east Ulster possibly spreading to parts of west Ulster and Connacht. Amounts 10-25 mms.

TODAY ... Many areas dry to start, but outbreaks of heavy, showery and possibly thundery rainfalls in east Ulster, spreading later (perhaps as more isolated showers) to west Ulster and north Leinster, inland Connacht. Otherwise, partly cloudy with more isolated showers than previous days, some areas staying dry. Amounts of rain 10-25 mms in north and central counties affected by this morning's outbreak, otherwise trace to 5 mms. Highs about 18-19 C in west and south, 16-17 C in north and east. Winds light to moderate E-NE 15-30 mph, stronger gusts in coastal east and north.

TONIGHT ... Cloudy with a few breaks, fog or mist patches, mild, isolated showers, lows 11-13 C.

FRIDAY ... Variable cloud to start the day with some sunny intervals, then low cloud and stronger east winds developing with outbreaks of rain, becoming heavy at times in the east and southeast. Potential for 10-20 mms rain on Friday and a further 10-20 mms overnight into early Saturday. This rain might cause some spot flooding especially in Dublin and Wicklow. Other parts of the country may see much less rain or even stay dry.

SATURDAY ... Overnight heavy rains in the southeast (10-20 mms), then some improvement with winds backing to northerly, further showers developing but these more widely scattered around the country, 3-5 mms further rain with these, morning lows 11-13 C and afternoon highs 16-18 C.

SUNDAY ... Partly cloudy, showers becoming more isolated, some places dry, lows about 10 C and highs 18-19 C.

OUTLOOK ... There is some chance of a few dry days or at least a more settled spell next week. Temperatures could edge up towards 20-21 C.

MT CRANIUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I had a bit of a laugh at that myself earlier :D

Jesus I think I'll buy a bicycle, looking for a car the last couple of days and would rather be shearing or putting back in prolapse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

f*k the farming i'm off on my stag tomorrow, will be exceptionally ratty next week after afull weekend drinking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

reilig wrote: »
    It may not be as bad as you think

Hi Reilig its not lookin so bad here in the NW . The sun went down red there and I've a feelin we might get weather up here until monday. If its still dry at dinner tomorrow I'm gonna knock two fields that I was hoping for hay.
    OPTIMISTIC OR WHAT!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement