Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi Reilig its not lookin so bad here in the NW . The sun went down red there and I've a feelin we might get weather up here until monday. If its still dry at dinner tomorrow I'm gonna knock two fields that I was hoping for hay.
    OPTIMISTIC OR WHAT!

You'd want to be planning on putting the hay into laps :D:D

Thankfully we aren't getting the worst of it.

WEB_radar2_201207061330.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Came across this earlier while doing a tidy up of my desk. It's from an old farming indo article giving the target weights for replacement dairy heifers calving down at 24m.
    20120706134116.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

reilig wrote: »
    You'd want to be planning on putting the hay into laps :D:D

Thankfully we aren't getting the worst of it.

WEB_radar2_201207061330.png
    no rain here yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

no rain here yet...
    famous last words:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

i havent seen dust clouds since january:eek:

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    i havent seen dust clouds since january:eek:
    was a fantastic evening here yesterday... also running after cattle all afternoon yesterday was roasted:o stupid aa bull broke in with aa heifers- not good:mad: was also good to notice the bull was alot unfitter than the heifers they left him miles behind:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

finished picking the last of the silage this morning, got the covers pulled on the pit just before a down pour,

vet scanned some cows we hadn't observed in heat, all bar 1 are well in calf:D

contractor began clearing for the road in the forestry

overall not a bad day in the office,

o/h is away for a few days so hitting the pub along with daughter and b/f for a few jars

daughter pulled short straw and is driving ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

snowman707 wrote: »
    finished picking the last of the silage this morning, got the covers pulled on the pit just before a down pour,

vet scanned some cows we hadn't observed in heat, all bar 1 are well in calf:D

contractor began clearing for the road in the forestry

overall not a bad day in the office,

o/h is away for a few days so hitting the pub along with daughter and b/f for a few jars

daughter pulled short straw and is driving ;)
    Hope its the daughters b/f:p

5live wrote: »
    that was my thinking too:D

Anyone know good english or welsh website for second hand tractors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Any one recommend any good online farm suppliers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

just do it wrote: »
    Anyone know good english or welsh website for second hand tractors?
    agriaffaires.co.uk or fwi.co.uk

5live wrote: »
    whelan1 wrote: »
    that was my thinking too:D
    :(

back to the monsoons here

son was telling me they were baling hilly ground yesterday when the rains started, about 3 acres left and the farmer told them keep going to F&%k. the fusion jackknifed, but luckily no damage

Suckler wrote: »
    Any one recommend any good online farm suppliers?
    am also looking for one , need lepto vaccine spirovac, huge variation in price , up to €10 for 25 cow pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone spot the insurance disc on the tractor on the front cover of the IFJ this week?

Shouldn't have been let out like that. tut tut Matt Dempsey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Jesus what a night/day.came home from work and had cows and calves inside to dose calves and do a bit of herding .had a lad in doing agitating for me during the day and it's a old tank where slats have to be lifted . Cattle broke out and two of my best heifer calves landed into tank lucky I was around as was planning to have a cup of tea before I started . Well after a few calls to get help and loads of sweat eventually got one out and the larger one slowly came up to end .rope around her and pulled her out .both fairly weak but breathing tg .put down the slats and returned calves to mothers which I taught would be fine.spent the whole night awake with the two cows roaring at each other as they did not recognise there calves granted there was a fair smell of slurry off them but eventually at half five this morning I could n t take no more . Got up again and brought in the two calves and cows and washed both of them .let them dry in shed for a hour or so and got them to drink . Let them back out and it starts misting o well just checked them there and all ok .some prayers do work but knackered all day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Finished my shearing this evening :D

Plan to start on Dads the next dry day, despite the other jobs he's bulling about which can be done in most weather, let battle commence :pac:

jerdee wrote: »
    Jesus what a night/day.came home from work and had cows and calves inside to dose calves and do a bit of herding .had a lad in doing agitating for me during the day and it's a old tank where slats have to be lifted . Cattle broke out and two of my best heifer calves landed into tank lucky I was around as was planning to have a cup of tea before I started . Well after a few calls to get help and loads of sweat eventually got one out and the larger one slowly came up to end .rope around her and pulled her out .both fairly weak but breathing tg .put down the slats and returned calves to mothers which I taught would be fine.spent the whole night awake with the two cows roaring at each other as they did not recognise there calves granted there was a fair smell of slurry off them but eventually at half five this morning I could n t take no more . Got up again and brought in the two calves and cows and washed both of them .let them dry in shed for a hour or so and got them to drink . Let them back out and it starts misting o well just checked them there and all ok .some prayers do work but knackered all day ...
    Lord above. You'd want to treat yourself to a few scoops tonite after all that hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Jaysus...You couldn't write it!
    You never know when trouble is upon you. I've seen cows not recognise their calves before after the calf was pulled out of the bog holes. All would be grand when they cleaned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

anybody here able to explain exactly what this new rule that the financial regulator put on marts giving credit entails?

• Advertisement

Off to see Snow Patrol and Florence and the machine in the phoenix park.

The Wellies are packed ;) Come on the culchies! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭stanflt

Muckit wrote: »

florence knows how to make dry silage- shake it up shake it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I had a cow once that rejected her calf after I tagged it. I usually put a small bit of iodine on the point of the tag before applying. It's smell they trust the most for knowing their own.

No cream for the cats today :D

Anyone spot the insurance disc on the tractor on the front cover of the IFJ this week?

Shouldn't have been let out like that. tut tut Matt Dempsey :rolleyes:
    god , ya have little to be doing:D

johngalway wrote: »
    unreal, well done ! :D:D:D:D

Galway have more to do though, they got a bit sloppy in the second half!

Two games to go :)

No cream for the cats today :D[/QUOT

A big upset. Ye certainly put the creosote on their bales :D

Jeez john, where did that performance come from?! :) Great win. I was listening to it on the radio in the car and looking forward to seeing it tonight. Cyril Farrell will be having conniptions :D

• Advertisement

Jez, I dunno, I haven't seen them play like that for a long while. Hopefully now they can build on today's result and keep the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Great win for the Tribesmen today - well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Jez, I dunno, I haven't seen them play like that for a long while. Hopefully now they can build on today's result and keep the ball rolling.

The best hurling I have seen for a long time John, Words couldnt express my delight when Galway got the second goal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Weather didn't end up as promised so cut no silage. Neighbour is out baleing this morning on a hill. He has 2 tractors pulling the baler and is leaving deep tracks!!

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Great win for the Tribesmen today - well done

not just a great day for G but for sport overall and thanks to both teams for a great game,

no doubt the cats will licks their wounds and be back with a vengeance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Hurling need that game, big time. Evrything was becoming dull and predictable..... and Clare beat Dublin.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pakalasa wrote: »
    Hurling need that game, big time. Evrything was becoming dull and predictable..... and Clare beat Dublin.:rolleyes:

I've never seen Davy Fitz so laid back!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭jfh

we're drawn against limerick in the next round, think they bound to get lucky sometime! esp if played in the gaelic grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Jez, I dunno, I haven't seen them play like that for a long while.

It is a long time. I have to say after seeing Galway against Offaly I didn't see this performance coming. The intensity and first touch was on a par with anything I've seen in recent years.
    As Pak said hurling needed a game like that. Good to see Clare building too. I would be nicer to see Offaly climb the ladder too from my perspective. I miss the golden age of hurling when it was impossible to tell where Liam would end up in sept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

anybody here able to explain exactly what this new rule that the financial regulator put on marts giving credit entails?

heard something strange about this last week. doubt the financial regulator is doing anything, credit terms for goods isn't any of there business. Tightening up of credit at marts is only a good thing. Will end allot of the messing by certain individuals, and benefit the good payers that is only right. Marts running large credit lines is only asking for trouble, especially to the sellers of animals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Must dash. My 15min lunch break is over. Left tractor agitating. Ta wifey for the lovely bully beef stew;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

raining here since 6 this morning:mad: getting fed up now, just let cows in... is there any end to it? thought i was done with sawdust and lime for this year

really upset to hear about the Pheonix Park gig on Saturday. Future doesn't bold well for some of the nations youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan1 wrote: »
    raining here since 6 this morning:mad: getting fed up now, just let cows in... is there any end to it? thought i was done with sawdust and lime for this year
    No rain here yet just finished spraying the wholecrop.
    Hope the cows dont have to go in again not much grass left here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Dozer1

was on a stag at the weekend, the behaviour on show was a disgrace, all in the name of "craic" young and the not so young out of control painful to watch, and i don't count myself as that old at 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

really upset to hear about the Pheonix Park gig on Saturday. Future doesn't bold well for some of the nations youth.

The country is overrun by scumbags - every town and city is full of them.

If they were animals they'd be put down

pure madness- maybe i am getting old but i had never heard of that band that where playing, there's no value on a life any more:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Some mess wasn't it!!! Did u get the smell of pig **** everywhere ... How did that get in there as the straw looked clean that they were ferrying in?? Was it spread on the ground earlier in the year ... I doubt it in the Phoenix Park???!! Either dirty straw or I don't know... ??

Bodacious wrote: »
    Some mess wasn't it!!! Did u get the smell of pig **** everywhere ... How did that get in there as the straw looked clean that they were ferrying in?? Was it spread on the ground earlier in the year ... I doubt it in the Phoenix Park???!! Either dirty straw or I don't know... ??

florenceb.jpg

wellies.jpg

muck.png

That was just the smell of waterlogged ground, I'd recognise that smell anywhere unfortunately :(

I never seen conditions like it at a concert. The place was literally in sh*t! I suppose 3 concerts in a week on the same ground in this weather was too much to ask. I really don't know how they are going to get it back to any kind of 'normal'. I'd say a full reseed is on the cards there Michael D :D

No dry lie anywhere so standing for over 9 hours, then had to walk 3 miles out of the place:o 'I'm getting too old for this sh*t'

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The country is overrun by scumbags - every town and city is full of them.

If they were animals they'd be put down

dont insult animals please, these scumbags need a few bus loads of german style coppers to hammer the sh*te out of them. I was going to head on Saturday but the craig was good elsewhere in town so didn't bother.

Great to hear that young girl from Cork was located. I have attended many European festivals and never once had or saw a bit of bother and the lads with me are serious people for putting drink away. Its a whole attitude problem and not solely a drink and drugs problem. Drink just fuels the problem if you are that way inclined.

pakalasa wrote: »
    I had a cow once that rejected her calf after I tagged it.

I was reading your post fast and misread rejected as injected.
    I was thinking that's some f**king cow!! :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement