Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Muckit wrote: »
    Bodacious wrote: »
    Some mess wasn't it!!! Did u get the smell of pig **** everywhere ... How did that get in there as the straw looked clean that they were ferrying in?? Was it spread on the ground earlier in the year ... I doubt it in the Phoenix Park???!! Either dirty straw or I don't know... ??

florenceb.jpg

wellies.jpg

muck.png

That was just the smell of waterlogged ground, I'd recognise that smell anywhere unfortunately :(

I never seen conditions like it at a concert. The place was literally in sh*t! I suppose 3 concerts in a week on the same ground in this weather was too much to ask. I really don't know how they are going to get it back to any kind of 'normal'. I'd say a full reseed is on the cards there Michael D :D

No dry lie anywhere so standing for over 9 hours, then had to walk 3 miles out of the place:o 'I'm getting too old for this sh*t'

good man muckit you were well up the front... We were further back and it was dog rough.. Rows, kicking muck at people etc total idiots ... Saw one tosser pee on a lady's leg! Her fella and his brother (2 big galway hurlers) showed up lifted him out of it in fairness .. Much trouble up that far ie I'd imagine they'd be more into the music and less messing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

dont insult animals please, these scumbags need a few bus loads of german style coppers to hammer the sh*te out of them. I was going to head on Saturday but the craig was good elsewhere in town so didn't bother.

Great to hear that young girl from Cork was located. I have attended many European festivals and never once had or saw a bit of bother and the lads with me are serious people for putting drink away. Its a whole attitude problem and not solely a drink and drugs problem. Drink just fuels the problem if you are that way inclined.

My apologies to animals the world over;)

But you have hit the nail on the head - it is an attitude problem and the drugs (and drink) just fuel it even more

What is going to sort it out is my question? These scum are breeding like rabbits. they will take over the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

florenceb.jpg

wellies.jpg

muck.png

That was just the smell of waterlogged ground, I'd recognise that smell anywhere unfortunately :(

I never seen conditions like it at a concert. The place was literally in sh*t! I suppose 3 concerts in a week on the same ground in this weather was too much to ask. I really don't know how they are going to get it back to any kind of 'normal'. I'd say a full reseed is on the cards there Michael D :D

No dry lie anywhere so standing for over 9 hours, then had to walk 3 miles out of the place:o 'I'm getting too old for this sh*t'

u must have never went to oxygen or witness as it was called the 1st time i was there.
    it was a lot worse than this and then u had to camp for 3 days in the ****e.i did it for many years but not any more i need my bed to sleep on any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No never did (or will) go to Oxegen. I don't do hardship. Camping in sh*t not my thing :D
    Slane is the only live concert venue IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was reading your post fast and misread rejected as injected.
    I was thinking that's some f**king cow!! :D:D
    :D....That's the drugs, Man !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »
    My apologies to animals the world over;)

But you have hit the nail on the head - it is an attitude problem and the drugs (and drink) just fuel it even more

What is going to sort it out is my question? These scum are breeding like rabbits. they will take over the country

A tough and fair justice system. My mates got a bollocking on Thursday night for taking a pee in the woods by some Garda. FFS well done Garda. there is a element (fairly large) that think its okay to get away with doing whatever they like. A section of the Garda armed and told to use whatever force they deem necessary anytime of the day or night to cut out all this sh*te on our streets. Hit them early and hit them hard. As I have always said - would you chance legging it from a Garda versus would you chance legging it from one of the police in mainland Europe. I would fancy my chances with the Guards, by F*ck I wouldn't chance running from most european police forces. Our Guards don't even look the part, they don't put the fear of god in you (good old paulie) and then they are put doing stupid jobs like shutting pubs at stupid hours where a few fair good law abiding punters are having a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sister is away today so I was tasked with finding her three gluebags in the jungle she has rented.

Found two no bother, had to cross an electric fence tape to find the other one...

Grabbed it, lifted a leg over ... Thwap!

:mad: 'the f>>k ???????

Lucky twas just the hand that got it...

More than twenty years of horses been in that place, always had tape on the road side fence top and tape across gap, first effing time someone ever attached a fencer to it !!

Felt like kicking the bucket it was in down the path ahead of me :D

Try standing with your bare feet in two metal buckets of water and hold it.....:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

On a completely seperate topic...

Why do some machinery dealers (esp in N.Irl ) advertise stating "avail of the 100% capital allowance/tax write off" on s/hand farm machinery?
    Did I miss something cos I thought such purchases could only be written off over 8 years....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

there was a special scheme in the UK for the last few years allowing a special 100% write off of machines. it ended in April I think so a lot of ads were highligting it around then

Try standing with your bare feet in two metal buckets of water and hold it.....:D :D:D

You first, I'll bring the video camera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

today i was shoving in my silage and trying to pack it and i actually said it could do with a shower of rain:it was just too hayey

keep going wrote: »
    today i was shoving in my silage and trying to pack it and i actually said it could do with a shower of rain:it was just too hayey

Typical. The south stealing the f**kin sun again! :D Stop holding the sun to ransom, give us back our sun!!:p :D

I was reading an article yesterday in the farming indo I think it was about all this rain we are getting. He was describing it as 'very unseasonal' weather and I was thinking perhaps it's not unseasonal. Maybe this is the way the weather will be for this time of the year anymore. Maybe it's us that need to change our views and farm practices to fit in. We all should have been out with the mower in April :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Typical. The south stealing the f**kin sun again! :D Stop holding the sun to ransom, give us back our sun!!:p :D

I was reading an article yesterday in the farming indo I think it was about all this rain we are getting. He was describing it as 'very unseasonal' weather and I was thinking perhaps it's not unseasonal. Maybe this is the way the weather will be for this time of the year anymore. Maybe it's us that need to change our views and farm practices to fit in. We all should have been out with the mower in April :p

Jesus, we had the rain + floods for long enough :(
    But we're after a 3 or 4 good days now down this direction, so our place anyway has dried up a good bit. Hopefully the silage I have sold will be cut today - it BADLY needs to be...

I was talking to an old man, who said he believes we always get the same amount of rain every year (as in the average amount measured over the year) - Its just a case of when it falls.
    This year - it was an incredibly dry Spring, so he said we were due a wet summer... But still... His theory would suggest we will have a dry Autumn + Winter... we shall see I guess... :(

And just as I am about to hit 'Submit' it starts raining... FFS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

still havent cut down me silage, depressing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

going out to fodder now,terrible thing to be saying in july:(. . . as its a small bit dry today would ye reckon it would be reccommended to spread fert,i want to close more off for silage as i fear i wont have enough now,its suppose to rain tomorrow though,would it be a terrible idea

simx wrote: »
    going out to fodder now,terrible thing to be saying in july:(. . . as its a small bit dry today would ye reckon it would be reccommended to spread fert,i want to close more off for silage as i fear i wont have enough now,its suppose to rain tomorrow though,would it be a terrible idea

get it spread, it will grow f all in the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

its gona bucket down tomorrow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

kevthegaff wrote: »
    whats new it lashes every thursday:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kevthegaff wrote: »

Only in the southern half of the country. This time last year ye boys were complaining that it was too dry. Be careful what you wish for. Thankfully we haven't had anything more than a drizzle since last saturday. Going to mow this evening and tomorrow and hopefully bale it up on saturday and sunday!! ground is only soaking out now. Glad I waited (was forced to wait because a bearing is gone in the mower). Hopefully I'll get a good bit baled up dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

whelan1 wrote: »
    whats new it lashes every thursday:cool:

What is it with the weekly flood on a Thursday??? (although then again there was one down here last night also)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I was up in Dublin with a client this morning and i couldnt believe all the ragworth in full yellow flower along the N4 from Mullingar and all around the N4/M50 Junction . :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

get it spread, it will grow f all in the bag

just in from it now,another 8 acres closed off for extra silage,now to pray thw weather will come in august,also some spread on pastures for WHEN the cattle go back out as will be tight enough with more closed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

what the hell happened when i was away the whole place is wet :p,,,,,,,:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bet you're wishing now that you stayed away another week:D Any news on that BB open day? Thinking of going to solohead tomorrow to see how to cope with wet land:rolleyes:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bet you're wishing now that you stayed away another week:D Any news on that BB open day? Thinking of going to solohead tomorrow to see how to cope with wet land:rolleyes:
    france was no better had rain every day but with heat, no news on bb open day ,they must have changed their minds,i know there is a bit of messing going on about the ploughing, want a cow and calf, no dont want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

leg wax wrote: »

Michael Noonan, introduced a new levy on cattle sales! It applys only to blues, so that's ok!!

heard the too atilathehun... something about the better the BB's were, the worse you'd be hit... shocking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Michael Noonan, introduced a new levy on cattle sales! It applys only to blues, so that's ok!!
    He likes a decent bit of marbling in his steak, time to move back to angus and hereford ;)

Been lashing rain here since about 04.00 I'd say... The ground was getting nice and dry, after a great day yesterday. But that's all undone now again... sickening... :( :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

still dry here and looking like we may escape with a good bit less moisture than was promised :)

I have a farmer friend near Söråker Sweden, was chatting to him last night on Skype,
    they are having a similar summer, small holding and the silage is stored in tower silos , the grass is too wet and heavy to blow into them. his english isn't the best but it seems they are not allowed pit silage 'cos the farm buildings are actually on the side of the street in the town

I look on google maps later

not much really ..

a couple of the lads on here went to a sing song in Michael D's field

A government minister is listed stubbs gazette, 2 councillars were charged for accepting bribes

it only rained twice, first for 5 days and then for 7

nothing out of the usual just the same old ding dong,

ooopps !! nearly forgot the tribesmen licked the cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

snowman707 wrote: »

a brilliant way to put it:D

I smiled at that one myself. Very witty :p

lovely morning here, dont want to jinx myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

:D:D Good one, and good description! ;)

Was tipping along home this morning, mondeo ahead of me, pajero ahead of that, lumbering truck holding everything up.

Coming into some forestry, solid white line, pajero see's a somewhat straight S bend. Cloud of black smoke and he's away. Mondeo follows, I stay behind the truck thinking "Moneky see, monkey do" :rolleyes:

All of a sudden the pajero pulls in quick and badly, mondeo right behind him, passing by I see one of the boys in blue walking up to the jeep.

I'd put money on it that lad in the pajero was only going down the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

lashing down here in west cork.

grrrrrrrr

Contractor too busy with grass for the last few days to spread fertiliser, finally came and did it last night, and now you're saying it's lashing down this morning.

god dammit.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »
    grrrrrrrr

Contractor too busy with grass for the last few days to spread fertiliser, finally came and did it last night, and now you're saying it's lashing down this morning.

god dammit.

Sorry to say John twas not a good night here - the rain is after softening now, but there was hard enough rain hoping off the windows around 5 or 6 this morning :(

Forecast for here was rain in the afternoon. Was in the car, Angelus bells just came on as the drops started hitting the wind shield. How's that for an accurate forecast :D

JohnBoy wrote: »
    grrrrrrrr

god dammit.

perfect in my eyes unless you are on the side of a mountain. like a shot of heroin for plants

actually got a paddock topped today... sun still shining

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

:mad:good god have about 20 cows with baby calves about a weak old .will have to bring them in to nite .you should see them after last nites rain it would make you cry.icon8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

pretty decent day here today. Even got a little sunburnt. I passed a couple of fields that were baled last night and they looked like they had been ploughed and then spread with slurry. up the road 200 yards and they they were in as good a nick as can be expected for the weather. really showed up the variations in the ground within an area.

• Advertisement

perfect in my eyes unless you are on the side of a mountain. like a shot of heroin for plants

Mountain is a bit of a strong word, but you'd sure feel the burn in the back of your legs walking up it.

The lads who took the silage this year brought a small loader with them to push the trailers up the hill.

hopefully some of it soaked in.

Pi$$ed out of the heavens all night long, and still coming down,

getting a quick cuppa and heading to the out farm to let the heifers into a field of after grass we had hoped to make bales of in a couple of weeks :(

Pi$$ed out of the heavens all night long, and still coming down,

getting a quick cuppa and heading to the out farm to let the heifers into a field of after grass we had hoped to make bales of in a couple of weeks :(
    thats what it has been like here for the last few weeks... totally depressing:mad:

Temps are supposed to rise next week and the showers not supposed to be as frequent. Fingers and toes crossed :o

I was clearing out my pile of old IFJ's ans was looking at a pic from May this year where a lad got to save Hay. He said the last time he saved hay in May was back about 40years ago and that it rained for 6weeks non stop after that...... history repeating itself ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I remember reading that. Make Hay while the sun shines !!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement