Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

"Tis down for the day"

On a more uplifting note, just watching the calf who lost his mum about three weeks ago walking in out of the fields and going about 150m to eat some of the finishing cattles grub in the feed passage, smart f*cker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mowing here today:D

Also managed to dye my hair a form of orange yesterday......it would happen on the day that was in it!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

next door mowed 15 acres at 9am and is baling now.

I walked 12 acres i hope to pull slurry out onto. If it comes right ill let fly with it sunday morning:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

leg wax wrote: »

Some paper trail and button pushing goes on to satisify traceability. Rightly so.
    I noticed one farmer in Moyvore crept through the name blanking out process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I walked 12 acres i hope to pull slurry out onto. If it comes right ill let fly with it sunday morning:rolleyes:

Indian curry saturday night so? :D

splashplate or trailing shoe Iakill? :D:D

leg wax wrote: »
    well done bordbia.

And well done to those farmers featured in the charolais, BB, limousin videos. Serious quality uniform stock and excellent grass/clover.

Anyone know any of the lads that had their stock featured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

"Irish farmers should face facts and prepare for an end to the live cattle export trade, Green MEP Ms Patricia McKenna said yesterday."

From, Year 2004;
    http://friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?action=view&id=3473

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The irony of an MEP giving out about live exports, sure didn't we export her too :D

(Apologies, this isn't farming related but some might enjoy it if it turns up!)

Apparently the effects of a "coronal mass ejection" from the sun will reach the Earth from 7pm tonight. Hopefully it'll put on a decent light show.

The weather forecast (bold words for here I know) is promising for somewhat clear skies.

http://www.facebook.com/AstronomyIRL

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/13/solar-storm-expected-to-hit-earth-on-saturday/?hpt=hp_t2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

crappy day today, one of the kids up all night with kidney infection, temperature peaked at 39.9:eek::eek: trip to out of hours doc €60 and medicine €46! cows are still in at night, one of them went down in cubicle shed during the night , she was bulling last night, had to lift her out this morning... 50/50 chance she will stand again... was going out with digger to lift her again this evening, had a bucket of silage another one of meal and a drum of water in front bucket of digger, stopped digger to open gap in to paddock, it wouldnt start when i got back in:eek: got it started loader wouldnt lift... hardy spicer had broken on the live drive to the hydraulics:mad:... 4pm on a saturday evening ffs, with a total lack of sleep the night before... local jcb dealer had had a bad accident a few weeks ago and is still in hospital... eventually got the part and a neighbour fixed it up for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Remember whelan those bad days make the good ones feel so much better. i tried to think of that yesterday evening while i was cutting a weanling out of a gate with a consaw. (gate not animal for any activists reading this)

1chippy wrote: »
    i tried to think of that yesterday evening while i was cutting a weanling out of a gate with a consaw.

While driving the roads I'd often spot gates bent in a hoop or with a big bow in the top and I'd ponder what the f**k happened it......I'd do some head scratching if I came across your gate!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Have one of those gates, bowed in the middle due to a 5yr old CH bull who figured he could clear the gate. He landed in the middle of it and then tipped himself forward. Shortly afterwards he was on the menu in Super£acs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

took the gate with her off the hangers and the main problem was trying to hold her down. you wouldnt believe how entangled she was.cutting bars that were wrapped round her legs when she was moving wasnt easy. A lad who worKs for me is getting a week upgrading all gates and barriers next week. Had planned to do it any way, but so much more on the list to do, it made me prioritise a bit better.

You'd be surprised how well a towel/sheet across the eyes and cotton wool in the ears works with that. Our weanling gates to the lying area of our shed are no more :rolleyes:
    How we learned- Consaw + sparks + Lim heifer......enjoyable day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

enough with the rain, for f**k's sake

the fun has gone out of it altogether

looking out the window at the cows in the field out side this evening, thinking where the f**k will i put ye Monday morning

some one please

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »

looking out the window at the cows in the field out side this evening, thinking where the f**k will i put ye Monday morning

some one please

cheer up man, there is no money to be made from dust, wherever there is water there's money.

some one please

As was quoted earlier in this thread...,..early to make hay meant six weeks rain. (I'm short-cutting it in-case writer is reading) It should stop from now with any bloody luck.

some one please
    ours will be in 2 weeks at night on monday... i would say they will be in another week at least. was looking at them on friday morning, they where in a field that was topped 3 weeks ago lovely grass, sun shining , lying back back chewing, i was thinking this is how it should be in july. Not muck and rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

terrible night again...pity ground was just coming round

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

lashing down here in west cork again today. all cattle inside now,what a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just back from holidays and it's unbelievable. Fields are sodden through, our land is heavy and it's just terrible. We could do with topping a few fields but it's not worth marking them badly.
    Silage is due to be cut next weekend but may push it out a week or two in the hope that a dry spell comes. We seem to have a decent crop but I just don't want to cut up fields, some of the fields near me are in bits and will need serious work to put them right.
    Lost a heifer while I was away, nice Lim/Ch cross, systemic infection was the vets best guess but he couldn't save her. :(

I see even Adam on countryfile was feeling it last night. ......ah no not TB this time strangely enough ..... the weather!!

His meadow absolutely flattened to the ground..... and he's aiming to make hay! The best of luck to him!! ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    I see even Adam on countryfile was feeling it last night. ......ah no not TB this time strangely enough ..... the weather!!

His meadow absolutely flattened to the ground..... and he's aiming to make hay! The best of luck to him!! ;)
    poor old adam, he only has the couple of thousand acres to work with :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

johngalway wrote: »
    THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT COULD BE TRUE!

A couple, more like a few. 3,000 acres would be nearer the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

poor old adam, he only has the couple of thousand acres to work with :eek:
    pakalasa wrote: »
    A couple, more like a few. 3,000 acres would be nearer the mark.

In a good year - that would feed a lot of cattle.
    In a bad year - those cattle would eat a lot.

I think he does 1000 acres of arable between wheat, barley and oil seed rape. And God knows how many thousand acres he has under grazing.

I was watching a few old episodes of Countryfile back to back yesterday that I had recorded on the skybox and never got to see. I only ever fast forward through boring old John Creavin (the poor God help us) and watch Adam's Farm bit.

Back in late spring he was talking about that old saying 'Oak before ash, we're in for a splash...ash before oak, we're in for a soak'...

Then in the next sentence he says, the oak was out first this year, so it looks like we're in for a good summer..... how wrong he was!!!

Another 2 or so weeks and we're technically into autumn :o

Another 2 or so weeks and we're technically into autumn :o[/QUOTE]

are you sure we are not into winter already..
    fecking felt like it this morning feedings cows

are you sure we are not into winter already..
    fecking felt like it this morning feedings cows

Tell us about it. Bloody sick of it now. Have you all in? Most cattle in here, bar a handful. And no sign of a chance to let them out. Ground is soaking. I can't complain much though, at least silage all made which is more than alot of lads. Here's hoping we get a dry enough Autumn to shorten the winter ;)

Tell us about it. Bloody sick of it now. Have you all in? Most cattle in here, bar a handful. And no sign of a chance to let them out. Ground is soaking. I can't complain much though, at least silage all made which is more than alot of lads. Here's hoping we get a dry enough Autumn to shorten the winter ;)
    no about 20 cows and calves in, they were in 1 group, the rest outside in bits and bobs, if i had grass i would leave these ones out too but most of my place is bare and after a night like last night they plough it up..
    ground was actually fairly ok around us till last night, will be back to sq one now
    if it keeps going id say a glut of cattle will hit the marts soon

if it keeps going id say a glut of cattle will hit the marts soon

I wonder will there be buyers for them? There will be export buyers for suitable buyers allright, but what about the rest if fodder is scarce?

One good week, and it would all be forgotten about. We have had a dry week gone by and the ground has dried up well. If it wasn't for the lack of grass, things would be normal. With a few meadows cut, at least we will have a bit of extra grass "going forward" (BC).

reilig wrote: »
    I wonder will there be buyers for them? There will be export buyers for suitable buyers allright, but what about the rest if fodder is scarce?

One good week, and it would all be forgotten about. We have had a dry week gone by and the ground has dried up well. If it wasn't for the lack of grass, things would be normal. With a few meadows cut, at least we will have a bit of extra grass "going forward" (BC).

most of my silage cut 6 to 7 weeks ago, meadows slurried but there is feck all much in them, its been the worst year ever for growth except for a few weeks before silage was cut. as you say if the weather picked up again it might kick off

terrible year for growth is right. Even with cattle of the land the last 2weeks, not a whole pile of grass coming for the time of year. Even as you said Vander, land that was cut and got slurry isn't much better.

I went through a record book last night. On june 8th, I had 6 weeks of grass ahead of the cows. I only needed 3. I barely have a 14 day rotation now - and the cows are left hungry for a half day a couple of times in that rotation. Luckily only 10 cows are housed. Got fertilizer spread this morning. MT cranium on the weather forum is talking about the weather taking up from thursday and it getting pretty warm - hopefully it will make my fertilizer work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

got 110 bales made late last night, got a second double handler and and finished drawing them about 2am this morn, glad we did, it was raining for the last 45 minutes when we were drawing, but it absolutely milled out the heavens until about midday

we have good re growth after the first cut , it got about 1500 gals. of very watery slurry and circa 20 u can per ac.

grass wise we are ok'ish , however we let the incalf heifer in to a field we had intended to bale to avoid poaching, not much spare grass for flushing the early lambing ewes and will decide in the next couple of days whether we let lambing dates slip back a bit or feed some meal

no stock housed but like most others on here the farm badly need some sunshine to heat up the ground and boost growth.

• Advertisement

went for the cows this evening, they are in a 30 acre field that i spoke about on here before- was very yellow- letting them graze it so i can start again with the field.... my dad had brought them in the last few evenings in the jeep and he is gone away for a few days, his last words to me where its a bit wet.... ffs , i got bogged down just inside the gap... if you stop at all you are stuck.... nice grass though cows are stuffed when they come in and eating feck all silage at night....... hope mt cranium is right

Forecast is starting to look better for the weekend alright....FINGERS CROSSED.

sheared off the third axle in 8 months of the jeep trailer this afternoon. Starting to sound old by saying "there not made of the same stuff nowadays"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

sheared off the third axle in 8 months of the jeep trailer this afternoon. Starting to sound old by saying "there not made of the same stuff nowadays"

Any harm to ask how, and what make have you?

MfMan wrote: »
    Any harm to ask how, and what make have you?

How, probably too much hard work, just sheared turning in a yard with 6 store heifers inside, total weight of around 1800kgs inside, presume the stub was cracked from earlier. this axle only went under it last christmas.

Maybe a bit unfair to name the make as it does a serious amount of work and hadn't give a problem for the first 3 yrs of its life, except since x has for some reason, due to be traded earlier this year but didn't get around to it

Is it a triple axle hudson or something like that? Was it the front axle that went? Really you could see how it could happen. Serious pressure on the axle if turning sharp, it's just dragging instead of turning. wide sweeps necessary when it's full. grand when empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Is it a triple axle hudson or something like that? Was it the front axle that went? Really you could see how it could happen. Serious pressure on the axle if turning sharp, it's just dragging instead of turning. wide sweeps necessary when it's full. grand when empty.

serious drag on tri axle boxes when trning alright,have a 12ft ifor and that drags enough,that said if was to trade it id probably go for 14ft ifor,i see the new ones have the flap at the front to allow wind flow through,took them long enough

no its a twin axle with 16" wheels, broke the two fronts on drivers side and back on the passenger side. New axle today going under it is of different design, old axle had a stub of 35mm in tickles whereas the new one has a thickness of 42mm so something around 70% (well 50% more steel) stronger if the steel is like for like in my quick tot

Waiting to get my ram DNA tested, great to have internet on the go out George Hook would have me jumping off the bridge!

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Waiting to get my ram DNA tested, great to have internet on the go out George Hook would have me jumping off the bridge!

did you send off a wool sample or whats involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement