Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

did you send off a wool sample or whats involved

No, they punched a hole through his ear and the tagger like yoke capped the sample. Who'd be a sheeps ear :rolleyes:

Jesus it's bucketing down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

johngalway wrote: »

Yep, we had heavy rain from two until seven... its disheartening :(
    However.. looking at the 10 day forecast online and MT's forecast there could be a break for the better next week... fingers crossed

bbam wrote: »
    Yep, we had heavy rain from two until seven... its disheartening :(
    However.. looking at the 10 day forecast online and MT's forecast there could be a break for the better next week... fingers crossed

Was walking through my sisters field to get to my pen, it's a sloping field, all I could hear was squelch squelch squelch, in July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

This might cheer people up. Forecast for next THURSDAY.

Rtavn2161.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

pakalasa wrote: »
    This might cheer people up. Forecast for next THURSDAY.

Rtavn2161.png
    Jaysus, did you colour that in yourself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Same here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

late finish tonight and the wind blowing is similar to that in November, I was rounding up a few cattle from there quarters in the fields and it was if you should be closing the fields up for the winter

5live wrote: »
    Jaysus, did you colour that in yourself:D
    :D...
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

:mad:..I don't know. I'm going to have to put in the cows. Decided this morning. I thought I could keep them out on rough ground, but that's skinned now aswell. In living memory we never put cattle in during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

No, they punched a hole through his ear and the tagger like yoke capped the sample. Who'd be a sheeps ear :rolleyes:

had to do my bull this year but it only required a hair sample

• Advertisement

had to do my bull this year but it only required a hair sample

I don't know much about the DNA process but the reason I got my fella done is there's a Connemara/Mayo blackface sheep group starting up to try and preserve the breed here.

pakalasa wrote: »
    :D...
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

:mad:..I don't know. I'm going to have to put in the cows. Decided this morning. I thought I could keep them out on rough ground, but that's skinned now aswell. In living memory we never put cattle in during the summer.

new moon tomorrow so hopefully that will bring a change, i think the grass has started growing at least in the last few days, i notice a difference ina few fields anyway

just found the "switch to old look" button
    dont like this new look boards somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

got weighing results back today. first time getting weanlings weighed and scored.

fl22 bull from bbxlm heifer 408kg adg 1.23 18 sept
    REQ bull from BBxFR cow 406kg adg 1.34 14 oct
    fl22 bull from Fr cow 414kg adg 1.37 15 oct
    fl22 bull from HExAA cow 413kg adg 1.38 17 oct

REQ heifer from BBxFr cow 375kg adg 1.13 17 sept
    fl22 heifer from BBxfr cow 277kg adg 1.32 14 feb

and my little parthenaise 233kg adg 0.93 30 oct :o

they havent got meal yet (I've never had a batch that is so reluctant to eat meal before) and grassland management was average at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Am i reading this wrong or is your largest daily gain from a Limo out of a hereford/angus cow?

Always thought that combination had potential

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

got weighing results back today. first time getting weanlings weighed and scored.

they havent got meal yet (I've never had a batch that is so reluctant to eat meal before) and grassland management was average at best

Well done there bogman you must be doing most things right, twoud be interesting to weigh the cows and see what % of the cows weight the weanlings are. Are the cows big?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

big but not not huge. they have width but not higth (thats blues for ya)

the smallest cow was the HE heifer but she gave the best daily gain. supprise supprise the traditional breed being the most efficent.

the little feb born heifer is the most impressive though. she has great shape too. theat cow always produces the goods and has a calving interval of under 360 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Am i reading this wrong or is your largest daily gain from a Limo out of a hereford/angus cow?

when we had a bull in tully test station- angus- he out performed all breeds for daily live weight gain over the period

no you read that right. and the cow is only a heifer. we'll see what she does next year. I put a parthenaise on her this time round

Not surprised by it at all

Love Limo's and out of a hereford/angus i think you'd have a great animal that would finish well - ideal for irish grass finishing i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We had sun there for about 15 minutes. But then normal service was resumed and it belted rain for a half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Having never finished cattle I'm curious. What's the target market? It's neither traditional nor grade as well as a continental. During a 100 day intensive finishing period would the continental not pass it out?

Great weight gains there bogman. Looks like the milky cows are doing the business.

Went to bed Sunday night thinking I was getting up Monday morning to move the cattle to a boggy field with plenty grass. Lashed all night so housed then instead. Not too bothered as I've plenty silage left from last year. (Yet to save this year but planned one heavy crop within the next 2/3 weeks.

But here's an annoying thing. A neighbour is badly stuck so I've told him take as much as he needs (I'm charging him cost price, - what goes around comes around). I asked him to use one particular batch of bales that are fine but not as good quality as my second batch. What does my boyo do? Took one of the batch I asked him and has since helped himself from the other batch :confused:.

just do it wrote: »
    Having never finished cattle I'm curious. What's the target market? It's neither traditional nor grade as well as a continental. During a 100 day intensive finishing period would the continental not pass it out?

My point is to eliminate the 100 day intensive finishing period - grass all the way with no meal (or as little as possible)

Our biggest market for beef is the UK - where ironically the "traditional" breeds hail from

Markets like germany also prefer traditional beef over the leaner continental carcasses - although we have not penetrated (or really tried) this market

Both Angus and Hereford are offering generous carcass bonuses over other breeds - this must be for a reason

Great weight gains there bogman. Looks like the milky cows are doing the business.

are they though? Leg wax, Tismesoitis or anybody else what would your ADG be like? I'd like to know how far off the mark I am

We finish all our stock off grass or sell as heavy stores. the ease of fleshing from the hereford is welcome though the reson that we have her at all was the neighbours bull broke in and served her mother. when she was around the place and we're trying to build numbers we bulled the hereford then

I don't think you can take ADWG and say the lower farmer is not doing as well

The associated costs with the daily gain are probably the most important thing imo

I'm not a suckler farmer but if you have those gains and very little meal used that seems pretty good to me.

I would agree with you but it still would be usefull to have a benchmark to work against. I wouldnt expect those calves to be better then the top lads. they had very little minding, were outwintered and had no meal and were squeezed a month ago but it would be interesting to compare

I wouldn't get hung up on ADWG either. It's all about profit, at the end of the day. If you talking about wintering cattle then gains will be lower than say from summer alone. Charolais breeding in ther somewhere will lift gains big time but price/kg may not be as good as say the shapier weanlings.

• Advertisement

ah yeah I agree with you there aswell. But when I have the figures I'd like to compare and contrast

My point is to eliminate the 100 day intensive finishing period - grass all the way with no meal (or as little as possible)

Our biggest market for beef is the UK - where ironically the "traditional" breeds hail from

Markets like germany also prefer traditional beef over the leaner continental carcasses - although we have not penetrated (or really tried) this market

Both Angus and Hereford are offering generous carcass bonuses over other breeds - this must be for a reason
    Yeah grass all the way makes since. But would a 100% traditional bred animal not perform better under this regime?

What I'm getting at here is a LMX out of a HE/AA cross cow for me seems to be falling between the stools. It's neither traditional or continental. My understanding of the schemes for traditional breeds is the breed of the terminal sire is what is important? Being in the scheme makes up for the poorer grading carcase regarding c/kg.

Love Limo's and out of a hereford/angus i think you'd have a great animal that would finish well - ideal for irish grass finishing i'd say

Would the 50% LM finish well enough off grass alone?

I'm curious as I really toyed with the idea of going down the traditional breed route but stayed with the continentals as targeting the weanling market makes more sense for me.

When the comic did it's end of 3yr period supplement on the Better Farms it had two contrasting beef systems opposite each other. 1st was the guy pushing his farm with continentals all the way (high cost system) getting around €1,000/ha. The other was a guy who switched from finishing to a traditional calving thru to finish system (low cost) and he was making €900/ha. It seems to me farmer A had to make a much bigger investment of time and money for the extra €100/HA. I don't think his own extra labour costs were factored in. And that is in a good year. What in a bad year? Bank will still need repaying etc :confused:

(Now got to go training, will look in again later! :))

Is it just my computer or are links not working since this new boards arrived??

go back to the old way,i did

• Advertisement

Link works for me fine, I switched to the new look as soon as it was available, used to it now.

whelan1 wrote: »
    when we had a bull in tully test station- angus- he out performed all breeds for daily live weight gain over the period

And it's the breed you want for weather like this! How are they holding up over the last few weeks in comparision to the diary cows? (friesian or holstein).

ah yeah I agree with you there aswell. But when I have the figures I'd like to compare and contrast
    This will make you feel better:
    My weight gains are at post 4391 here. Not so great in comparision (yet;)) and they also got €80 worth of meal each. One important point I'd make is I'd no c/section and the grazing land got no fertilizer so those costs are low.

Tismesoitis posted great weight gains a good while back so over to the search engine for those ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Went to bed Sunday night thinking I was getting up Monday morning to move the cattle to a boggy field with plenty grass. Lashed all night so housed then instead. Not too bothered as I've plenty silage left from last year. (Yet to save this year but planned one heavy crop within the next 2/3 weeks.

But here's an annoying thing. A neighbour is badly stuck so I've told him take as much as he needs (I'm charging him cost price, - what goes around comes around). I asked him to use one particular batch of bales that are fine but not as good quality as my second batch. What does my boyo do? Took one of the batch I asked him and has since helped himself from the other batch :confused:.

Could you park a trailer in front of the better ones, or offer to drop them down for him, or leave move a few to make it " handier" for him

Hate people taking liberties

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

But when I have the figures I'd like to compare and contrast

There would surely be a lesson in something like this for us all. Even within herd comparing year on year would be a valuable exercise.

• Advertisement

typical of what someone would do when you do them a good favour. Get on the blower and explain your annoyance

This will make you feel better:
    My weight gains are at post 4391 here. Not so great in comparision (yet;)) and they also got €80 worth of meal each. One important point I'd make is I'd no c/section and the grazing land got no fertilizer so those costs are low.

Tismesoitis posted great weight gains a good while back so over to the search engine for those ones!

I'm quite sure yours had better shape than mine though since you were able to sell them to an exporter.

still it was good to have somebody to compare against

Askim wrote: »

Could you park a trailer in front of the better ones, or offer to drop them down for him, or leave move a few to make it " handier" for him.

Hate people taking liberties

A
    Yeah I took your approach. I was taking a few for my own (they're 500m from shed) so I dropped a few of them blocking the better ones. I see this morning he's gotten the hint :)

Bizzum wrote: »
    But when I have the figures I'd like to compare and contrast

There would surely be a lesson in something like this for us all. Even within herd comparing year on year would be a valuable exercise.
    Agree with you there Bizzum, comparing year on year will be the real benefit

Working fine for me, it's still in test phase though so there are a few gremlins in the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

another inspection to morrow, may as well clean out the spare room and let them sleep here :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

snowman707 wrote: »
    another inspection to morrow, may as well clean out the spare room and let them sleep here :mad:

Good luck with it. If you don't mind would you post up what they picked you up on. I'd be worried if we get one around here. Perhaps we should start a thread on inspections and post up info?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Good luck with it. If you don't mind would you post up what they picked you up on. I'd be worried if we get one around here. Perhaps we should start a thread on inspections and post up info?
    Good suggestion Jimmy.

Snowman - what's tomorrow's inspection for?

snowman707 wrote: »

What type of inspections are they on at the moment? is it not a bit early for the lads to be out of the office on summer holidays, suppose a few fine days and they want to stretch the legs. Whatever you do, don't incriminate yourself or admit anything. always use the excuse of ignorance or the saying "i would have to check with the bossman who does the paperwork". the bossman can relate to her indoors or anyone who happens to be around

the bossman can relate to her indoors or anyone who happens to be around
    Or someone who just happens not to be around;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement