Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

snowman707 wrote: »
    another inspection to morrow, may as well clean out the spare room and let them sleep here :mad:

tough one to keep ahead of. we got another bit done this evening to try and keep ahead but if they were to inspect us at the moment i reckon they would clean us of a lot of the payments.

on another point a mate just lost three calves with botulism during the week. Had them brought to a lab to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

1chippy wrote: »
    tough one to keep ahead of. we got another bit done this evening to try and keep ahead but if they were to inspect us at the moment i reckon they would clean us of a lot of the payments.

on another point a mate just lost three calves with botulism during the week. Had them brought to a lab to prove it.

Wonder was someone spreading hen dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Any inspection we ever had they just turned up, so much so that last time a couple of teams of them turned up at our 2 different farmyards all at the same time, demanding me to be present for both nitrate inspections. I can't be in two places at once so just told one crowd to sit tight and enjoy the view. They were all grand and happy with our systems.

Are you sure, as far as I know botulism can't be proven beyond all reasonable doubt but can be presumed. Thats were it gets tricky in court. Are our parts used to be a great place for botulism, nowadays most of the chicken manure is hauled around 120miles away, apart from my neighbor who spread it about a month ago on aftergrass and now has cattle grazing away on it no problems. typical of what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

just do it wrote: »
    Good suggestion Jimmy.

Snowman - what's tomorrow's inspection for?

The inspection is by the HSA, he called a couple of weeks ago one day we were literally up the wall & very kindly offered to call back at a more convenient time, anyhow I have just updated the safety statement, & may get a couple of things tipped up in the morning, don't think there is any thing too drastically wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well I took advantage of having the cattle in and got out the neddle and syringes early this morning. Ivomec, covexin 8 and, would you believe it, throdax! Will be keeping a close eye as well for any ill-thrift as I lost a two, and brought one back from the edge, to rumen fluke 3 years ago. They were bought-in and had outwintered on land that was flooded at one end from a river. I just hope it has taken up residence on my land. If they don't get it in this wet summer I should be ok.

Well I took advantage of having the cattle in and got out the neddle and syringes early this morning. Ivomec, covexin 8 and, would you believe it, throdax! Will be keeping a close eye as well for any ill-thrift as I lost a two, and brought one back from the edge, to rumen fluke 3 years ago. They were bought-in and had outwintered on land that was flooded at one end from a river. I just hope it has taken up residence on my land. If they don't get it in this wet summer I should be ok.

you havnt covered rumen fluke though in what you have given them

you havnt covered rumen fluke though in what you have given them
    Yeah I know and have some zanil at the ready. I don't intend dosing them unless it's required.

Cattle out again, yippee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You were up early this morning! I'm just back from the creep feeder, wormed 8 of the 9 there with pour on. It's a blessing to have quiet cattle!

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »

You were up early this morning! I'm just back from the creep feeder, wormed 8 of the 9 there with pour on. It's a blessing to have quiet cattle!
    Up at 5.18 this morning! I seem to wake early on fine mornings like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just in from doing the cows for lepto, did them as they came out ofparlour.... think i deserve my cuppa and a curly wurly:D

REPS advisor visiting this am. I've just printed off the stock reconciliation report for 2011 from the ICBF website. It's nearly worth the annual fee for this job alone!

Must say, Im getting excited with the Olympics around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Neighbour rang there me fresian bull was in with his pedigree Hereford heifers, bulled two of them, what should I do he's me cousin

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Neighbour rang there me fresian bull was in with his pedigree Hereford heifers, bulled two of them, what should I do he's me cousin

tell him all is okay, nobody got hurt, and you will provide him with a few shots of estrumate at a later date

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »

tell him all is okay, nobody got hurt, and you will provide him with a few shots of estrumate at a later date
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Must say I getting excited with the Olympics around the corner

Jasus there's a bit of pace to that one!!

And when her athletic career is over she'll slip right into another one . . . . .

Pickin spuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

She's not actually going to the olympics.:rolleyes:

pakalasa wrote: »

so you managed to read the comments, Prefer the junior olympics myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

so you managed to read the comments, Prefer the junior olympics myself:D

You should think about selling the dog and putting a bid in for her bob. She would be handy for rounding up the bullocks and be nice company on a cold night too ;)

• Advertisement

You should think about selling the dog and putting a bid in for her bob. She would be handy for rounding up the bullocks and be nice company on a cold night too ;)

don't think theyre would be many cold nights with that young lady around. Probably ate you out of a house and home so I will keep the dog for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pakalasa wrote: »
    Did she get a ban for drugs or what?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Must say, Im getting excited with the Olympics around the corner

could have done with her today trying to bring in calves for dosing

blue5000 wrote: »
    looked very hyper at the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

20 less sheep to shear :)

Heading off with grazon in the knapsack to tackle some furze, at last some weather for it :)

Heading off with grazon in the knapsack to tackle some furze, at last some weather for it :)

Had my 9" roller out with rosate 36 hunting rushes earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Probably ate you out of a house and home so I will keep the dog for now.

You need to learn that you will have to spend a few bob to make a 'small bob', bob ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

got weighing results back today. first time getting weanlings weighed and scored.

fl22 bull from bbxlm heifer 408kg adg 1.23 18 sept
    REQ bull from BBxFR cow 406kg adg 1.34 14 oct
    fl22 bull from Fr cow 414kg adg 1.37 15 oct
    fl22 bull from HExAA cow 413kg adg 1.38 17 oct

REQ heifer from BBxFr cow 375kg adg 1.13 17 sept
    fl22 heifer from BBxfr cow 277kg adg 1.32 14 feb

and my little parthenaise 233kg adg 0.93 30 oct :o

they havent got meal yet (I've never had a batch that is so reluctant to eat meal before) and grassland management was average at best

jasus bogman good goin there really does show the value of the milk!! goin to give you our figures but consider ours are on about a kg of meal per head since 3mts. the poorest is afl22 heifer out of a req heifer with .89kg per day best calf is a kyr bb out of a milky hkg sim cow with 1.78kgs. Avg of this batch of 31 calves is 1.43 kgs per day. Just on a side note our 6 partenaise have the highest average (over lims and bbs) at 1.49 kgs .(allowed for 40 kgs birth weight)

blue5000 wrote: »

No, she is only 19;), junior olympican

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Got two hours good mowing done earlier :)
    Pity it was only the lawn... :rolleyes:
    Silage to be knocked Mon/Tue so I hope this MT Cranium over in the weather forum is right.. He usually has it on the money.. Ground will be 10 weeks since closed/fertilizer

Rain/drizzle/mist forecast for here late afternoon :mad:

And rain tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

jasus bogman good goin there really does show the value of the milk!! goin to give you our figures but consider ours are on about a kg of meal per head since 3mts. the poorest is afl22 heifer out of a req heifer with .89kg per day best calf is a kyr bb out of a milky hkg sim cow with 1.78kgs. Avg of this batch of 31 calves is 1.43 kgs per day. Just on a side note our 6 partenaise have the highest average (over lims and bbs) at 1.49 kgs .(allowed for 40 kgs birth weight)

Do you assume 40 kgs birth weight for all breeds, or do you be breed specific?

Do you guess/weight them at birth if you use an individual weight?

Thanks
    K

johngalway wrote: »
    Rain/drizzle/mist forecast for here late afternoon :mad:

And rain tomorrow :mad:

Yes and they're giving next week to be bad weather now too

rancher wrote: »

Ah come on! What happened to our heatwave?

ffs! they dont know their arse from their elbow:(

Ah come on! What happened to our heatwave?

No sign of a heatwave on RTE 1 tonight at 6.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No sign of a heatwave on RTE 1 tonight at 6.30

The situation appears to be changing with every model run so stay tuned to the weather forum - though I am getting increasingly concerned about my plans for haymaking next week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

I did see "tentative outlook" as the headline on the rte weather chart today, it was orange & 20 degrees for Wednesday, tentative, may as well say we don't really know, but we live in hope!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Was last night cold or what? Woke up shivering.

What a difference a day makes, windy, overcast, damp, back to Summer with a bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Tis a great day here. Strong breeze and stuff. As a fella would say, it would dry the dung in a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tis a great day here. Strong breeze and stuff. As a fella would say, it would dry the dung in a dog.

Where abouts are you ManofFeeling?

In Cork tis a horrible day - real heavy mist for most of the day so far... desperate weather... I dont think you can get worse weather than this down on top of hay, and there is a lot of it cut around here over the past 2 days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Midlands. Went for a drive to Carlow and athy and back to tullamore. Nothing only hay bobs, wrappers and balers. Crisis over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Midlands. Went for a drive to Carlow and athy and back to tullamore. Nothing only hay bobs, wrappers and balers. Crisis over?
    doubt it. i know of a lot of lads wont be getting a second cut in. i doubt the hay will be much good either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What a difference a day makes, windy, overcast, damp, back to Summer with a bang.

Was over your neck of the woods today. Went from Galway to Leenane via Cong. Stopped in Ashford castle. From about 1pm it was like a winters day, wet & windy. Turned back, you could see nothing. Beautiful on a good day but heaven help us on a bad day:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Was over your neck of the woods today. Went from Galway to Leenane via Cong. Stopped in Ashford castle. From about 1pm it was like a winters day, wet & windy. Turned back, you could see nothing. Beautiful on a good day but heaven help us on a bad day:D

I know, it wasn't the worst day ever but still, when ya look out the door and think this is late July? Roll on Winter and some dry bright weather :D I saw a bit on the news about the Bray airshow and it looked a grand day there, or at least when that bit was filmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

1.78 is serious growth!

thats very interesting about the Parthenaise. will have some cross bred calves in the spring. will be interesting to see how they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Did you drive the road from lennane to louisburg? never seen the likes of it before, pure wilderness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Did you drive the road from lennane to louisburg? never seen the likes of it before, pure wilderness!!

did you ever drive over derrybrien on a wet winters night..jaysus i wouldnt like to get a breakdown :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement